PDA

View Full Version : Terminology Question

Odd Man Out
10-25-2011, 12:03
When shopping for outerwear or reading clothing gear lists, I have run across the terms "hard shell" and "soft shell". What do these terms refer to?

TIA

Ender
10-25-2011, 12:07
A simple answer is rain shell vs. wind shell. Give or take.

scope
10-25-2011, 12:11
In general, these "shells" are jackets that are not cloth/fleece, etc. exterior. A hard shell would be a waterproof jacket. A softshell jacket is water resistant (to varying degrees), but also the term "softshell" mostly refers to a kind of jacket made of stretchy non-clothlike material that has a decidedly softer feel than does typical rainwear.

Tinker
10-26-2011, 23:36
Soft shell means you will get wet from rain.
Hard shell means you will get wet from sweat.

Papa D
10-27-2011, 00:53
soft shell jackets are best for dryer western conditions when the precipitation you will encounter is mostly frozen - they repel snow, sleet, and even light freezing rain pretty well - they typically breathe better than hard shells. For eastern hiking, soft shells might hold out for a few days but in a real AT rainstorm, you want a hardshell jacket. The best jackets made (bar-none) are made by Arc-Teryx - rarely do I make such a definitive statement but this one is true. The lightest one is the Beta SL jacket - I carry the Beta AR - it will keep you dry and more or less sweat free - pretty much the best jacket out there:

www.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?EN/Mens/Jackets/Beta-AR-Jacket#