PDA

View Full Version : I'm trying to decide what size pack I need.

Freeze55
10-25-2011, 16:11
I'm planning a week long backpacking trip next month and I'm in the process of buying my gear but I'm not really sure what size pack I need for this. I already have a tent (Eureka Spitfire I) and a sleeping bag (Slumberjack Latitude). I'm really new at this so any help is appreciated.

clsvideo
10-25-2011, 16:18
I have a 60 liter pack. I think that's a good size to start with depending upon how your tent and sleeping bag pack down. Depends how much stuff you are carrying too. I'm pretty minimalist without giving up comfort.

hikerboy57
10-25-2011, 16:23
get your gear list together first, as pack size depends greatly on what you're bringing. I use an Osprey Atmos65, some here go a lot smaller, so it all depends on the rest of your kit.

Beeobee
10-25-2011, 16:27
Try this Lay out your stuff for the trip on the floor. Shape it like a backpack, measure and get a rough estimate of size you need.
Peace

Papa D
10-25-2011, 17:26
under 40 liters - ultra-light backpacker - relies on a lot of re-supplies and good weather
40-50 liters - experienced. lightweight, probably fast 3- season backpacker - dialed in
55-65 liters - current average (in my opinion) for most moderately weight conscious solid backpackers - I usually carry an Osprey 60L pack for multi day
65-75 liters - winter backpacking or backpacking with a lot of extra gear - like a climbing rack and rope (or a bunch of unnecessary stuff)
75 liter or larger back packs are rarely seen being carried by serious backpackers these days - like a Dana Terraplane (R.I,P. , 100 liters!)

By the way, a liter equals about 61 cubic inches, so if you see a pack that's 3700 c.i., it's about a 60 liter pack.

BobTheBuilder
10-25-2011, 17:49
under 40 liters - ultra-light backpacker - relies on a lot of re-supplies and good weather
40-50 liters - experienced. lightweight, probably fast 3- season backpacker - dialed in
55-65 liters - current average (in my opinion) for most moderately weight conscious solid backpackers - I usually carry an Osprey 60L pack for multi day
65-75 liters - winter backpacking or backpacking with a lot of extra gear - like a climbing rack and rope (or a bunch of unnecessary stuff)
75 liter or larger back packs are rarely seen being carried by serious backpackers these days - like a Dana Terraplane (R.I,P. , 100 liters!)

By the way, a liter equals about 61 cubic inches, so if you see a pack that's 3700 c.i., it's about a 60 liter pack.
That there is some good advice. +1

Franco
10-25-2011, 19:22
Don't forget the food (allow space for that) as well as water/drinks you plan to have with you.
Also do keep in mind that a 60L in one brand can be bigger or smaller than another.
(different way of measuring the size as well as different level of rounding off (up...)
Franco

Freeze55
10-25-2011, 20:21

That's very interesting. I'm glad you put that rough conversion from liters to cu. in. because everyone in the forms talks in liters but when I walk through stores, most things are measured in cu. in. Thanks for the help.

EastCoastFeastCoast
10-25-2011, 20:45
I have a Deuter ACT Lite 50+10 I'm about to put up for sale if you want. Like new condition :) (50 liter that expands to 60)

Don Newcomb
10-25-2011, 22:49
You should be asking a lot more questions than, "What size pack do I need?" Don't get me wrong, that's a good question, but it's just the tip of the iceberg.

Freeze55
10-26-2011, 15:35
I have a Deuter ACT Lite 50+10 I'm about to put up for sale if you want. Like new condition :) (50 liter that expands to 60)
Interesting. How does the expansion work?

You should be asking a lot more questions than, "What size pack do I need?" Don't get me wrong, that's a good question, but it's just the tip of the iceberg.
I guess then I should start by asking what else should I ask?

Pages
10-26-2011, 16:07
"I guess then I should start by asking what else should I ask?"[/QUOTE]

THAT is the BEST question i have ever heard on here!

Don Newcomb
10-26-2011, 17:12
I guess then I should start by asking what else should I ask? It depends on your level of experience and physical condition combined with where you are planning to go and whom you plan to go with. If you said that you and a friend are planning to spend a week on the St. Joseph Peninsula in Florida, I'd suggest you take a good water filter, lots of sun screen and DEET. If you told us that you have no experience and were planning to solo hike the North Cascades in winter, I'd ask if you had a death wish or something. I'd say that if you do not have experience, you probably need a few weekend trips before you try any week-long trip. There's a long list of variables. This might be better in another subforum.

SpecialK
10-26-2011, 18:33
I think the 60 liter is perfect for multi day hikes.

Franco
10-26-2011, 18:51
You can have 35lbs of gear inside both a 40L and a 70L pack .
That is because , for example, a blue foam mat is about the same weight and does about the same job as a Neo Air yet it is many times larger when stored.
Or to put it another way, in the space that you take up with your sleeping bag (13"x18") many will fit their sleeping bag, the tent and for some a day or two of food..

This is why you need to get all of you gear together first, add the food and water you intend to carry (put together some meals than replicate that with something of a similar weight and size or the actual meals...) at this point you will know what pack size you need.
Again do keep in mind that not all 60L packs are 60L ...
generally the pack size is overstated, so most 60 L packs only hold 55-58L inside the main compartment but it can be as low as just over 40L
Franco

stranger
10-26-2011, 19:58
Don't forget the food (allow space for that) as well as water/drinks you plan to have with you.
Also do keep in mind that a 60L in one brand can be bigger or smaller than another.
(different way of measuring the size as well as different level of rounding off (up...)
Franco

Finally Franco and I are on the same page : ) Yes, there are NO international standards on pack capacity, meaning, each pack company uses different methods of measuring the capacity of their pack. Most fill a pack with a something, then place the 'something' into a cubic column, and come up with their capacity.

earlyriser26
10-26-2011, 20:07
I guess I'm "dialed in" with my Bora 40 and I take a full size 2 person tent (fits nicely in the hydration sleve). My take is a 40 is good for up to 4 days, 50 will be good for a week, 60 if you are going for a week in cold weather and need alot of clothes. Starting out I would recomend a 60. As you gain experience you will likely work smaller.

GST
10-27-2011, 10:34
Previous discussion:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?1126-Whats-the-size-of-your-backpack&highlight=pack+size

Freeze55
10-27-2011, 19:19
Thanks for the different advice, everyone. You've given me different ideas to consider. I appreciate it. My trip may be shortened due to various circumstances but I still have to get a pack for an eventual long distance hike.

hunter121
10-28-2011, 05:36
Thanks for this post guys I was going through the same thing.
http://www.primeaffiliate.com/track/images/10.jpg