PDA

View Full Version : AT Guidebooks or no guidebooks?

Brock
02-28-2005, 21:59
Ok, this will be my first thru hike of the AT, and I am wondering if everyone out there feels that the $280 AT Guidebooks are worth the cost.
We all know about limited funds, and it would be great to get this kind of information from a cheaper source, that is if people feel this kind of info is good to have.
What are your suggestions for a first-time thru hiker?

orangebug
02-28-2005, 22:05
If $280 will bust your budget (including the maps), you might wish to reconsider your timing. :-?

The guidebooks are most useful in planning hikes, giving you information about the history, views and other details that help me enjoy the miles and understand the locale. Even on section hikes, I tear up my guidebooks and only carry the material pertinent to my planned walk.

But the point of the AT is to get from one white blaze to another. You don't really need any maps or guides. You might irritate some of your colleagues mooching off of their guides and maps.

Nightwalker
02-28-2005, 22:43
Ok, this will be my first thru hike of the AT, and I am wondering if everyone out there feels that the $280 AT Guidebooks are worth the cost.
We all know about limited funds, and it would be great to get this kind of information from a cheaper source, that is if people feel this kind of info is good to have.
My suggestions?

Let me mail you a map that'll print out on ten pages. It's just a slightly larger version of the NPS PDF file. It'll show you the major road crossings and the towns you'll get near. Get a data book and either buy a companion or Download one here. (http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm)

Don't overplan it. The stuff in the above paragraph is about all the info you'll need (low-res map, databook, companion). Really more than you need. The deal with the "prints on ten pages" map is that you can take part of it at a time. Same with the downloadable companion.

Brock
02-28-2005, 23:16
I've got both the Data Book and the Companion, but I feel that I may miss out on some of the side trails and historic information that the guides/maps provide.... just wondering if others who have actaully spent the $280 felt is was worth the cost for that info.

The Old Fhart
02-28-2005, 23:26
I've got to agree with Orangebug on this. If I'm going on a family vacation, I have to figure in airfare, motel rooms, rental car, a little extra for unplanned items, etc. If after figuring out the total cost, I don't have the necessary money, I have to either do some creative financing or delay my vacation. Hiking the A.T. is no different. No matter how much you'd like to hike it, you still have to be able to afford it. I gather from your post that money is a big consideration that could go beyond just the maps.

I remember hiking into Damascus with this guy who said he was thru hiking the trail and while sitting at the place he said he just figured out he didn't have money to go further. I don't think you'd want to end up in that situation.

At the same time there is a possibility you can save some money by buying good used gear (probably for someone with poor planning who had to drop off) by checking the for sale in the back of the ATC Trailway News, your local outfitter, GoodWill, etc. The ALDHA Companion is also available in PDF format on line. Keep in mind that if you get used maps they will not be up to date which can cause problems. One thing to do is plan far enough ahead so you can suggest that friends and relatives give you birthday and other presents from your gear wish list, or cash toward your thru hike.

I would strongly recommend that you make sure you have all the gear you need and enough money before you start otherwise your trip could be miserable or you may not be able to finish. Just make sure that, if you need it, you have it; don't figure you can rely on your fellow hikers to be your "sherpas." I personally wouldn't cut corners on maps and other gear I consider important or necessary. Baltimore Jack and others on WB have had some excellent guides and suggestions posted under the "information" section on this site. I think with a little research and proper preparation you'll do just fine.

max patch
03-01-2005, 08:37
Anyone going next year should wait for the annual ATC guidebook/map/data book sale which is always around Thanksgiving thru Christmas. $150 or so for the whole package.

Also check ebay regularly for used guidebooks and map sets.

Youngblood
03-01-2005, 09:36
I've got both the Data Book and the Companion, but I feel that I may miss out on some of the side trails and historic information that the guides/maps provide.... just wondering if others who have actaully spent the $280 felt is was worth the cost for that info.
Most people probably just want the maps (I think the maps are about $165) with the Companion/Data Book (or Thru-Hikers Handbook) and don't bother taking the individual section guides because of the bulk & weight. A lot of the trail information in the section guides is repetitive, in more detail than what you typically need and not layed out in a format that is thru-hiker friendly (the mileages typically reset at the end of every fairly short section and details are listed north-south and south-north). However, some of the local information might make your hike more enjoyable... it would be nice if the local historical and local interest stuff was all combined in one small package that was more thru-hiker friendly, but I don't know of a book that has that.

Bad Ass Turtle
03-01-2005, 10:34
I'm with you, Youngblood. I bought the set of maps for my thru-hike, but didn't buy the accompanying trail guides. I know some people prefer hiking without maps, but I am a map geek, so I liked having them. I used the maps and Wingfoot's guide; I know of others who used just maps and the ALDHA guide.

hipo
03-01-2005, 10:39
Well my data booked worked fine!but at times I would just ask other hikers info and find out for myself:banana Hipo, seems like alot of extra money wasted on guidebooks but thats just my opinion

Footslogger
03-01-2005, 11:36
This thread kinda reminds me of a friend who used to go out and buy just about every tool imaginable. One time I asked him if he actually used all those tools and he said ..."No, but they look great on the wall".

Back to the subject though ...the guidebooks are a great source of detailed information about various points along the trail but I couldn't see carrying them with me on a hike. If money isn't critical, as has already been pointed out, then they are a great way to familiarize yourself with the trail prior to your hike and to support the ATC at the same time. The wife and I have the set of guidebooks at home that we purchased prior to her thru in 2001. It's been w while but I do remember referring to them for information on specific areas but since then they have been drawing dust. Just remember that when all is said and done, in the words of my friend, they look great on the wall.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Freeze
03-01-2005, 13:50
I like the thru-hiker handbook. It's basically the companion and data book combined.

OverUnder
03-04-2005, 13:10
I bought the complete ATC set of guidebooks and maps as well as the ALDHA Companion and Data book. Never used the guidebooks before or during the trip - they are definitely not worth the weight. Most of the pages are dedicated to a detailed walk-through of the trail with a little info. on history, geology, and plant life. You may want to consider bringing a field guide if those are key parts of the experience for you.

The data book is invaluable (or Wingfoot for those who prefer) and the distances are highly accurate. The Companion is very helpful for planning your resupplies and hostle stays. I recommend carrying the data book in full and break up the Companion into states or regions and dropping them in your resupplies.

Brock
03-04-2005, 15:37
Thanks for your advice everyone.

I plan on taking:
Data Book (already bought)
Thru-hiker Companion (already bought)
Maps (need to buy)

Anyone know the best route to buying maps covering at least the southern 1/4 of the trail?

orangebug
03-04-2005, 15:40
I'd go to the ATC's website/bookstore.

Brock
03-04-2005, 15:50
The ATC only seems to sell the guide books and maps together.... where can i find only the maps?

http://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/itemlist.cfm?catid=43&compid=1&pcatid=120

jlb2012
03-04-2005, 16:08
The ATC only seems to sell the guide books and maps together.... where can i find only the maps?

http://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/itemlist.cfm?catid=43&compid=1&pcatid=120

look a little more on that site - for example : http://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/itemlist.cfm?catid=54&compid=1&pcatid=42

max patch
03-04-2005, 16:22
Current (member) prices:

Maps $165
Maps and Guidebooks $225
Data Book $5

Or wait till the T'giving-Christmas sale and you'll be able to get all 3 for no more (probably a bit less) for what you would pay for the maps now alone.

You don't need the guidebooks for a thru - most people don't use them - I took mine because I enjoyed knowing a little bit about the history of the area, etc that are in the books - but I find I use them more now as I plan section hikes as they have good info re road access, etc. You should have the maps and know how to read them while on your hike.

I would avoid using the Maptech maps for various reasons.

The Solemates
03-04-2005, 17:16

They may be fun to have (just like the book collection I have on the AT), but they arent necessary. We did not buy them and did not feel like we missed out on anything. All we hiked with was a 4 year old copy of the Handbook. The trail doesnt change that much.

Besides, if you hike with the main pack of starters, you can bum off others or there will be plenty of places to pick up guidebooks that people carried with them and discarded becuase they werent using them.

Lilred
03-04-2005, 18:37
Thanks for your advice everyone.

I plan on taking:
Data Book (already bought)
Thru-hiker Companion (already bought)
Maps (need to buy)

Anyone know the best route to buying maps covering at least the southern 1/4 of the trail?

Check out the 'mapdana' on www.antigravitygear.com. It has all the essential info you need, and each section is less than 15 dollars. It's all I plan to take with me.

max patch
03-04-2005, 19:26
ATC sells all the maps Springer to SNP "Southern bundle" for $43.

You can also always check ebay.