PDA

View Full Version : My AT thru attempt clothing plan

LDog
10-25-2011, 19:31
Just posted what I plan to wear on my AT thru attempt next spring" http://laughingdawg.blogspot.com/ I'd appreciate your comments!

Papa D
10-25-2011, 20:44
looks like you are doing great - I like your website - funny, I worked on Ski Patrol too - where were you? NSP with a rusty? - ha ha. I was in Summit Co., CO. - anyway, My only comment is that it looks like you'll have a heavy pack, you have chosen good gear but the art of this is learning what to leave out - make 2 things out of one. I would recommend against long pants - just use your long johns under shorts or rain pants for example - I rarely even put on my 1 pair of spare socks. Keep clothing to a minimum - no extra stuff. I'm also a WFR and used to take the whole F.A.S. pack - don't do it - you won't need all that stuff - it's just weight - take gloves, benadryl, tape, a pocket knife, a lance, tiny hemostats, and some blister pads, one asprin, and a few Vitamin I, and that's it -one ziplock - you won't every use things like an irrigation syringe - if you need one, poke a whole in your latex glove, fill it with water, aim and fire. Learn to think like McGyver and you're on your way.

Mountain Mike
10-25-2011, 20:47
If you are going to bring rain pants convertable cargo pants are redundant. Nice thing about the rain pants is they give you something to wear in town while doing laundry. Unless it's really cold I find it's easier to Slip them over my shorts when I stop hiking & use them in the am untill I get warmed up.

Canada Goose
10-25-2011, 21:14
Hi Chilly,

You have a very interesting and informative blog, so much so that I've decided to subscribe to it. I must say tho', that you've got balls to be taking that camera to the trail. Will look forward, however, to the excellent pictures that you post.

Honk! CG

LDog
10-25-2011, 21:42
looks like you are doing great - I like your website - funny, I worked on Ski Patrol too - where were you? NSP with a rusty? - ha ha. I was in Summit Co., CO.

Yup, Rusty parka. I patrolled at Cannonsburg in western Michigan. Just quit this year.

My only comment is that it looks like you'll have a heavy pack, you have chosen good gear but the art of this is learning what to leave out - make 2 things out of one. I would recommend against long pants - just use your long johns under shorts or rain pants for example - I rarely even put on my 1 pair of spare socks. Keep clothing to a minimum - no extra stuff.

My base weight is pushing 19 pounds for shoulder season. I'll take the long pants thing into consideration.

I'm also a WFR and used to take the whole F.A.S. pack - don't do it - you won't need all that stuff - it's just weight - take gloves, benadryl, tape, a pocket knife, a lance, tiny hemostats, and some blister pads, one asprin, and a few Vitamin I, and that's it -one ziplock - you won't every use things like an irrigation syringe - if you need one, poke a whole in your latex glove, fill it with water, aim and fire. Learn to think like McGyver and you're on your way.

Thanks for your comments. I'm sure I can shave a few ounces out of that first aid kit yet. For the record, it is all in one baggie ...:rolleyes:

Spokes
10-25-2011, 22:34
Zip off pants don't insulate or provide any protection from wind. However, you will be stylish in town .......

Ditch the weight.

LDog
10-26-2011, 00:05
Thanks CG. I hope I can live up to those expectations!

As for the rest of you ... Ok, ok ... Makes sense. I'll wear my thin, 8oz nylon shorts, and use rain pants when I need more ... I don't even own a set of convertibles. I have some lightweight Columbia long trousers I like. I was originally gonna wear those and carry shorts. Then I thought I'd buy a pair of convertibles and leave the shorts at home... I can go the next step... I can wear shorts over my long handles ...

mirabela
10-28-2011, 16:56
I didn't read the summer stuff, just the shoulder season list since that's what you'll be starting with.

It looks pretty reasonable. If it were me, I'd ditch the button-down hiking shirt & just go with the base layer. Maybe carry a poly t-shirt, if anything else. Also, you might save a few ounces if you go with two pair of hiking socks and a pair of poly liners for sleeping. Your call.

LDog
10-28-2011, 20:28
It looks pretty reasonable. If it were me, I'd ditch the button-down hiking shirt & just go with the base layer. Maybe carry a poly t-shirt, if anything else. Also, you might save a few ounces if you go with two pair of hiking socks and a pair of poly liners for sleeping. Your call.

Heh! I'm thinking of *heavier* socks to sleep in! My feet get cold - like toesicles cold. Leaving the button down shirt at home might be an option. Poly T is on my summer list.

Thanks for your comments.