PDA

View Full Version : Any one been on Duncan Ridge Trail Lately?

jeepcj258
03-01-2005, 09:48
I am going to hike spring break and I am planning to hike the Duncan Ridge as part of my hike, hopefully to get off of the interstate of the AT for a couple of days. Has any one been on it lately? Is cleared or brushy, well marked. I have heard that it can be in really good condition or terrible depending on when you get on it. Also, can any body give me advice on water source location?

I know that several here have hiked it and I did a search and found a little information but any thing else you can add would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
God Bless
Seth

Youngblood
03-01-2005, 10:05
I just finished hiking the Benton MacKaye Trail from Springer Mtn (GA) to the Ocoee River (TN). It shared trailway with the Duncan Ridge Trail from Three Forks to Rhodes Mtn so I did hike that part but not the part between Rhodes Mtn and Slaughter Gap. All the water sources are flowing and no leaves on brush yet, so the trailway ought to be resonably okay to follow provided this summers storms didn't leave a mess. Most of the section I didn't hike is along an east-west ridge so you pretty much follow the ridges to peak to gap to ridge to peak, etc... I don't recall many, if any, switch backs or trail side water sources in that section when I hiked it a few years ago on two day hikes using Mulky Gap as a trailhead.

Youngblood

bulldog49
03-01-2005, 11:28
Here is a thread with some info that should help.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7143

Dances with Mice
03-01-2005, 14:09
I am going to hike spring break and I am planning to hike the Duncan Ridge as part of my hike, hopefully to get off of the interstate of the AT for a couple of days. Has any one been on it lately? Is cleared or brushy, well marked. I have heard that it can be in really good condition or terrible depending on when you get on it. Also, can any body give me advice on water source location?

I know that several here have hiked it and I did a search and found a little information but any thing else you can add would be greatly appreciated.

I'll put down a list of water sources and campsites when I get home & get my maps & notes. Might be Wednesday evening, though, because on Tuesdays I have a meeting with another hobby club right after work.

But you might start thinking now about direction and trailheads. The first time I hiked it I parked at Winfield Scott, took the Jarrord Gap Trail to the AT, then went clockwise. That was kind of fun, you get to meet lots of thru hikers, different ones every night since you're walking against traffic, then enjoy the solitude of the DRT on your way back to Slaughter Gap. That route bypassed Blood, but that was by choice since I've hiked it many times before.

The second time I parked at Blood Mtn and did it counter-clockwise. That was fun too. First the solitude of the DRT then you hit a river of people when you get to Long Creek Falls. By then you're a grizzled veteran of several days hiking. You'll have your trail legs and will pass most of them on your race back to Blood.

In both cases I worried about parking my car being in unsecured parking lots, and I didn't hike the entire Loop because each time I turned at Long Creek Falls, and/or cut off Blood Mtn, etc.

Last year I parked at Amicalola and hiked it counterclockwise. That added the Approach Trail twice, but I finally hiked the entire Loop, taking the AT to Long Creek then the Benton MacKaye back on the return leg. You'll start off and travel with a crowd of thru hiker candidates until Slaughter Gap then, it seems, step off the end of the earth onto the DRT. You might not see anybody else until you get back to Long Creek. Your car will be safe - and for only $2! That was perhaps my favorite trip. But then again, each year I say that about the last hike...

Last year I went over Blood to Neels and rented a cabin, taking a mid-hike break with all the thru-hikers taking their first break. The next day I climbed Blood again and started the DRT at Slaughter Gap.

I've cached food at the 2 GA-60 crossings (Woody Gap & at the Benton MacKaye crossing north of Suches) but next time I'd just resupply at Neels Gap and at the little store a quarter mile away from the Benton Mac/GA 60 crossing.

Another option, one I might do this year, is to park at Goose Creek Cabins, pay Keith to watch your car, and hike counter-clockwise starting at Blood. At the end I'd rent a cabin from Goose Creek to clean up and relax before heading home. You could split the costs by sharing a cabin with friends you'll meet on the AT portion headed towards Neels. The downside of that is hiking Blood twice, but you could also take the trail that cuts around Blood to Bird Gap then backtrack the little bit to Slaugther to start the DRT. That would save Blood Mtn for the end, a real nice finishing point for the trip. Put a case of cold drinks and some bags of junk food in the trunk of your car to celebrate your trip's ending with a little trail magic party and you'll make lots of friends!

It's all good.

jeepcj258
03-01-2005, 15:44
Thanks for all the replies, DanceswithMices, I was hoping you would chime in. Right now my plan is not to do the loop exactly, I am planning on Parking as close to 3 forks as possible (suggestions are welcome) and hiking the duncan ridge back to the AT just south of Blood MTN. I am then planning on heading north over BloodMtn to Neels and then on to the NC/GA border and hopefully getting a shuttle or hitching back to my car.
That said I am looking for a good place to park at either end and a good stopping point just across the NC/GA border? I have a total of 9 days to do this but am planning on it taking about 7??
I would certainly apreciate maps, advice, WATER SOURCES and any thing else you guys offer.

PS, I am going on March 12 if any of you want to join me for part or all of the trip.

Thanks again
God Bless
Seth

Dances with Mice
03-02-2005, 01:24
I'd contact www.hikerhostel.com about a shuttle and parking. The best map of the DRT I've found is the “Guide to North Georgia Wildlife Management Areas” by Atlantic Mapping. They’re sold in the outdoor department of Wal-Marts and many local stores in Georgia. Look near the maps of local lakes. The store in Suches carries it, if you have to ask “which store?” then you haven’t been to Suches. The best written guide is "The Hiking Trails of North Georgia" by Tim Homan.

From Long Creek you'll follow a stream. Before leaving the stream, get water for about 5 miles of walking. The next water source is Bryson Gap, well marked with a trail leading to a small spring and a great campsite on the other side of the spring.

From Bryson it's only 3 easy miles or so to the Taccoa River bridge. The water source is a stream on the near side of the bridge, the river isn't recommended for drinking.

It's another 3 miles to GA-60. Turn right for a quarter mile and walk to a little country store. They have a fair selection of food for re-supply and cold drinks (but no beer) and hot pizza and BBQ sandwiches. Get lots of Gatorade, you'll need it.

Back on the Trail, the fun really starts! It's about 4 miles to Rhodes Mtn and the point where the DRT splits from the Benton Mac isn't well marked. There was just a small sign that said "Scenic Overlook" right before the Benton Mac turns left at a double blaze and heads downhill. Go straight, up to the scenic overlook then follow the blazes down the ridge to the east. Now you're on the DRT.

The next water source, and you'll need it, will be in Gregory Gap. There will be a ridge running N-S that crosses the E-W DRT. Gregory is on the E side of the ridge. It'll be a small gap with a fire ring, tent sites, and a trail leading down, down, down to a stream. I mean way down! It will be the first sign of 'development' since leaving Rhodes, with obvious tent sites. Can't miss it.

From there it will be about 3 miles or so (but really fun miles!) to Sarvis Gap. You can't miss this one either. Large cleared tent sites, and a sign pointing to water. Water is a spring about 150 yards bushwhack down a gentle slope to your right.

About a mile past Sarvis you'll come to Fish Gap, a dead-end of a Forest Service Road but a good landmark. It's about 3 miles (but really fun miles!) from there to Mulky Gap, where a FS road crosses the Trail. Across the road is a gated gravel road with a 'Handicapped Hunting' sign. Walk around the gate and about 150 yards on the right is an area of water seeps that form the headwaters of a small stream. There are also campsites nearby. Get water here, there's a long dry stretch ahead. I've wondered if 'handicapped' included vision impairments.

It's about 6 miles (but really fun miles!) from there to White Oak Stamp, but the Stamp isn't marked with a sign, neither is the water location. You'll recognize WOS because the trail comes to a FS road, skirts the road for just a few yards, then starts the climb to Coosa Bald. It will be the third time the trail has come into contact with this road, the trail won't cross it. But at WOS the trail is the shoulder of the road for a step or two, at the other points it just comes near the road. The trail coming down to the road at that point will be an old road with a log across it at the Stamp. Cross the road and bushwhack about 200 yards downhill to a very nice spring. It's more of a fern-whack than a bushwhack, really. Don't carry water out of here, just drink your fill.

You'll climb first Coosa then Wildcat Knob (but really fun climbs!) then drop into Wolfpen Gap and paved GA-180. There is a stream about 50 yards to your right, either walk along the shoulder of the road to it, or cross the road and take an overgrown FS road into the woods then make your way down to the stream. There are good campsites along the stream in this area.

Then it's just a few miles (but really fun miles!) from there to Blood and down to Neels. Slaughter Mountain is kind of a plateau, a ridge with a wide flat top. There are a couple of small springs that cross the trail atop Slaughter on the way to Blood Mountain.

Keep some notes and let me know how accurate this has been.

jeepcj258
03-02-2005, 09:51
Dances I can not thank you enough, that is exactly what I needed. I have a pretty good topo map with the Duncan ridge marked out. I will check at the "The Store" I am assuming the only gas station in that town? and look into that book.

I notice there is a parking area at 3 forks? Is this some were you good to park?

Thanks again!
God Bless
Seth

Dances with Mice
03-02-2005, 11:59
3 Forks is just a wide spot in the road where the AT crosses. Parking is any open spot on the shoulder of the road, there's no designated parking area. I really wouldn't recommend parking there, not that I've ever heard anything bad happening. But it would be better to just drive to the Springer parking lot and take the AT to 3 Forks, that's an easy walk and not very far. Or park at the Hiker Hostel (to plug W-B folks) and have them shuttle you to 3 Forks or Springer. That way you wouldn't worry about your car and if you're going to hitch back it'd be easier to get to. They might be able to arrange your shuttle, it'd be worth giving them a call.

Here's the map: http://www.fishinggpsmaps.com/north_ga__w_m_a_'s.htm

It also has the entire GA- AT on it and in better detail than the official maps. New AT shelters like Gooch Mtn or Woods Hole won't be on it, tho.

TDale
03-02-2005, 14:24
That is a good map. Has every trail in north georgia on one piece of paper.