PDA

View Full Version : How many Trash Receptacles in the Smokies?

napster
10-26-2011, 09:33
Going to do a lil winter hike and was figuring my wt How many trash receptacles are in the Smokies? I know there is one at Climans Dome and maybe Hwy 551 I think rd to Cherokee.

10-K
10-26-2011, 10:14
Well, I'm not a GSMNP expert but I only recall 1 road crossing at Newfound Gap. There are trash bins there.

Then, I guess on the south side there probably is a trash can at Fontana Dam.

That's the AT... you didn't say what trails you were going to be on so ....

burger
10-26-2011, 10:35
How long are you going to be out for? Unless you're hiking for 2 weeks, why not just carry out your trash instead of making the park service do it for you? Once you eat the food, the wrappers weigh nothing!

Bati
10-26-2011, 13:45
I recall one at the Fontana Hilton and one at Clingman's and that used to be it till you got to Hot Springs. You should be able to drop some trash North of the park nowadays. I recall the one at Clingman's more than making up for the lack of a view- it was a pleasant surprise on yet another cold, snowy day.

If the road is open at the Gap, you might find a friendly driver who is willing to assist you with some trail magic by driving your trash out of the park. However, on a winter hike you can't always count on the one road crossing being open to cars.

Kerosene
10-27-2011, 09:54
Just hiked this section, starting at Fontana Dam. Between the Dam and I-40 there are critter-proof trash receptacles at the Clingman's Dome tower and Newfound Gap parking lot. Note that there is no water available at Newfound Gap at any time of year.

Gray Blazer
10-27-2011, 10:03
Note that there is no water available at Newfound Gap at any time of year.

Not even in the bathroom (comfort station) sinks?

curtisvowen
10-27-2011, 12:09
no sinks, using hand sanitizer, there is toilet bowl water. urinals are waterless

Kerosene
10-27-2011, 12:59
All sinks and mirrors have been removed from the rest rooms, replaced by hand sanitizer dispensers.

Gray Blazer
10-27-2011, 15:16
All sinks and mirrors have been removed from the rest rooms, replaced by hand sanitizer dispensers.

There's alchohol in that, right?

Rain Man
10-28-2011, 10:34
Note that there is no water available at Newfound Gap at any time of year.

I was there yesterday and noticed the water fountain where the AT reaches the parking lot, southbound, had a temporary "out of order" cover on it. Does that water fountain normally work? Or, is that temporary cover actually permanent? Anyone know?

Rain:sunMan

pyroman53
10-28-2011, 11:13
Per Park website:
"Newfound Gap - the water system and drinking fountain are closed due to the potential for contamination by surface water. Bottled water may be available from the Great Smoky Mountains Association store at Clingmans Dome, which is open daily from 10:00 AM - 6:00 PM"

LDog
10-28-2011, 11:23
Sad. On so many levels ...