PDA

View Full Version : Will I see any hikers next week???

ashmorec
10-26-2011, 10:05
Howdy! I'll be starting a solo hike from Newfound Gap to Erwin, TN this Saturday, 10/29/11. I've hiked solo 3-4 times before, but there have always been plenty of other hikers around. I'm sure there will be hikers in the Smokies, but I'm wondering whether there will be others on the trail once I'm outside of GSMNP. I don't mind hiking all alone, but I do really enjoy meeting other people on the trail and it does make me feel safer. Any thoughts on if I'll see others out there would be much appreciated...

Kerosene
10-26-2011, 14:48
I wouldn't be surprised if you saw a few dozen people on that section during the weekend. First of all, you may encounter a handful of SOBO thru-hikers coming through. Second, that section seems to be very popular for weekend trips, and it's not too late in the year for that hike.
You'll find water at Painter Creek and Groundhog Creek Shelter between Green Corner Road and Max Patch Road. Enjoy!

Blissful
10-26-2011, 15:06
If its the weekend a better chance but I hiked through there that time last fall and saw hardly anyone. Not many in the Smokies either except Newfound to Charlies Bunion was crowded. And Clingmans.

Tenderheart
10-26-2011, 15:36
If its the weekend a better chance but I hiked through there that time last fall and saw hardly anyone. Not many in the Smokies either except Newfound to Charlies Bunion was crowded. And Clingmans.

Yep, I have done a lot of southern sections in the fall and often don't see any one else.