PDA

View Full Version : Neoair trekker vs neoair all season

xavier
10-26-2011, 16:32
Hello,

I need an advice because I can't decide between neoair trekker and neoair all season.
My use is for bike camping in couple, mostly in France during summer and in plain (around 15°C) but winter use expected (0°C max). Our sleeping equipment is now a big and heavy regular inflatable mattress (15cm thick), synthetic bags rated for 9°C (twinnable) and a 3-person tent plus ground sheet. The big mattress just died so we need to get a new one, I am hesitating between the trekker and the all season, in large size.
Basically I have two questions : will the trekker be warm enough for winter and will the all season be cool enough for summer ? In fact I thought about buying the all season for a more versatile pad, but if we can't sleep on it without toasting during summer it will be the trekker.
Does someone know those pads enough to help ?

Thanks in advance
Xavier

Snowleopard
10-27-2011, 10:36
I have a small neoair, not all season or trekker but the first version. It's fine in hot weather and I think the other versions will also be fine. I used it last weekend at about 3C and it was warm enough, except for my feet which were not on the pad. I think the regular full length model would work at 0C. If you needed to be a little warmer, a thin foam pad on top adds warmth from the foam pad's insulation and from the trapped air layer between the pads. The trekker and allseason have thicker fabric so may be more durable.
R value is a measure of insulation, higher R is better insulation (sorry, don't know what it's called in metric units).
Original Neoair R=2.5
Neoair trekker R=2
Neoair allseason R=4.9
So the original version should be a little warmer than the trekker and the allseason would be warmest.

Putting more air into the neoair and other insulated air mattresses makes it thicker and somewhat better insulation. So, if you feel cold blow it up harder.

I'm considering getting an allseason for use in winter here (temps down to -30C to -20C). At -30C I would definitely add a foam pad.

xavier
10-28-2011, 05:58
Thanks for the answer, in fact I read many topics about using these pads at very low temperatures (under 0°C for me) but few about using them around 15-20°C.
However, if you say that the first neoair is right around 0°C, the trekker with its R value only 0.5 less should do the trick too and be cooler in summer.
I'm still hesitating because my girlfriend is a bit sensitive to the cold and think it'is crazy to do bike camping during winter, so I need something pretty warm and comfortable (hence the large size).

If someone is using the all season in summer (15-20°C), I'm still interested in his comments.