PDA

View Full Version : AT and nothing to lose live or die

thomasmbass
10-26-2011, 17:49
hi all im super new not yet hit the AT but with in a few weeks ill be out there and try to stay out of trouble and the way of any one out there iv not really hiked for a few to way more years im over 300Lb and out of work dont want to be on the street so iv sold all my stuff and going to find some ambition
i plan on doing this for a few months starting in a few weeks iv backpacked before so i know what it in-tales and know this is going to make me or break me im not backing down. just want to hear some ideas on how to stay alive and etc.

Grampie
10-26-2011, 18:02
Wow! I don't know where to start with the advise. Don't know where you are getting on the trail, but wherever you start you must consider the following for starters.
You will need, a tent, a good sleeping bag rated for at least 10 degrees, proper clothing, ( don't bring cotton stuff) , something to carry water in and something to eat. Make sure you tell someone where you attend to hike and for how long you will be out. This time of year the weather can change rapidly. Be prepaired for the worse and hope for the best. Good luck and I wish you happy trails.

Doc Mike
10-26-2011, 18:03
kookork reborn lol

thomasmbass
10-26-2011, 18:18
i will not be alone this is me and my lady we dont realy have much money about 120 for packs 40-50 for sleep bags we have food stamps about 360 so food will be covered we got a tent head lights water pur tabes, hike boots . i dont know if theres a site that can help give me a super list of what will be needed but if there is that would be great

thomasmbass
10-26-2011, 18:24
oh yeah ill be headed out of nc north wards to maine

WingedMonkey
10-26-2011, 18:29
donen't not ferget yer dog

nufsaid
10-26-2011, 18:32
By the way, if I lived close to B's BBQ I just might weigh close to 300 lbs.

johnnybgood
10-26-2011, 18:36
So you say that you're planing to "do this" for a few months . By my calculations you talking till late December ,early January -- correct ?
Do you have a down winter bag with temp ratings to 15 degees ? Winter insulated base layers ? What about pack load that you're not accustomed to carrying . plans? --bail-out plan ?

I'd strongly suggest you consider hiking with a seasoned hiker for the sake of safety .
**This is important so listen up .
At over 300lb have you seen your doctor recently for a complete physical exam ?

In your post above there was the part about giving opinions on staying alive , etc. .... the idea of hiking is all good and well , but listen to the advice given above and you will survive my friend.

thomasmbass
10-26-2011, 18:39
AT has allways just been a dream to me for a long time now but with about to just be a hobo why not make a amazing thing come to life nothing holding me back

nufsaid
10-26-2011, 18:39
http://www.ncbbqsociety.com/trail_pages/bs_bbq_large.html

Cosmo
10-26-2011, 18:43
I'm sorry you are finding yourself in such a difficult place, Thomas.

Given what you've posted, I fear you and your lady are a rescue waiting to happen. Living for a period of time in the backcountry in the winter is pretty tricky and requires some decent gear, knowledge and some good luck. If you hang out in a shelter for more than a few days, it's likely some official will come by and require you to move on. If you head out to the more remote shelters, you may find yourselves trapped by weather for a couple of days and unable to get to town to re-supply. Will you have enough food and fuel to get through a situation like that? Can you keep warm 24hours a day? I know people who live on the street, it's very hard--but living on the AT in the winter can be a lot harder (if simpler and statistically safer).

I'm not in your shoes, but I don't think you have a good plan--unless you are a lot more experienced than your initial post indicates.

Cosmo

mountain squid
10-26-2011, 18:44
just want to hear some ideas on how to stay alive and etc.Don't Go. I'm certain that is not what you wanted to hear. And, I'm not trying to be negative or discouraging or mean or anything other than realistic.

I don't know you or anything about your abilities but your three posts lead me to believe you are very inexperienced with cold weather and what to expect. It will be COLD and it will be very COLD. It has probably already been in the teens on Roan recently (and that is not including wind chill).

Being 300# you will likely not make many daily miles (at least initially). Which means lots of time sitting around in the cold.

Maybe consider a different trail, somewhere in the South where temps might be more favorable.

Just my .02. At any rate, http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-signs087.gifto WB. Good Luck!

See you on the trail,
mt squid

how to hike
(http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73587-how-to-hike)observations (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?14493-observations-from-fs42-(advice-for-first-week-on-trail))

thomasmbass
10-26-2011, 18:46
iv got my lady that wants to do it with me so im not alone but health all and all im ok 2 heart surgery s and still strong i walk about 10 miles if not more a day with out a job cant have a car lol warm gear i haz i dont know if i can get any thing under a 40 degree sleep bag but i can improvise

nufsaid
10-26-2011, 18:57
iv not really hiked for a few to way more years

I am wondering what the definition of "a few to way more years" is for a 22 year old. I also wonder whether the OP lives under a bridge.

swjohnsey
10-26-2011, 19:00
One thing to consider is there won't be many/any folks on the trail to help you if you get in a jam. That said, the AT is certainly a good place to get in shape and lose weight. You will need some sort of trail guide. Military surplus gear is cheap and durable but a little heavy.

The Cleaner
10-26-2011, 19:16
Don't Go. I'm certain that is not what you wanted to hear. And, I'm not trying to be negative or discouraging or mean or anything other than realistic.

I don't know you or anything about your abilities but your three posts lead me to believe you are very inexperienced with cold weather and what to expect. It will be COLD and it will be very COLD. It has probably already been in the teens on Roan recently (and that is not including wind chill).

Being 300# you will likely not make many daily miles (at least initially). Which means lots of time sitting around in the cold.

Maybe consider a different trail, somewhere in the South where temps might be more favorable.

Just my .02. At any rate, http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-signs087.gifto WB. Good Luck!

See you on the trail,
mt squid

how to hike
(http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73587-how-to-hike)observations (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?14493-observations-from-fs42-(advice-for-first-week-on-trail)) I'll have to agree with MS the AT is for backpackers not Hobos.If you do make it to a shelter be prepared to spend a lot of time gathering wood.Due to the recent trend more people are taking up backpacking and firewood is scarce near most shelters.This time of year you can have a peaceful evening and wake up to high winds blowing right into the shelter.A Wally World tent won't last in mountian weather.As for sleeping bags anything less than a good quality bag you'll end up being cold all night.I don't like to discourage anyone from hiking but you must be well prepared to deal with winter even in the "Southern" mountians.When I go out I'm carrying about a thousand bucks worth of gear counting boots,pack,tent,stove,rain gear& other stuff.You just can't make 1 trip to Wally World& then hit the trail.It takes lots of research& gear shopping to enjoy the mountians in winter....

moytoy
10-26-2011, 19:18
i will not be alone this is me and my lady we dont realy have much money about 120 for packs 40-50 for sleep bags we have food stamps about 360 so food will be covered we got a tent head lights water pur tabes, hike boots . i dont know if theres a site that can help give me a super list of what will be needed but if there is that would be great
The smart Rainbow people head South (to FL) for the winter. If you insist on running around the country in the winter I suggest you do the same. Heading to Maine in the winter? Huh!

4eyedbuzzard
10-26-2011, 19:23
... out of work dont want to be on the street so iv sold all my stuff and going to find some ambition
Going off hiking to escape from life's problems isn't ambitious.

Blissful
10-26-2011, 19:26
Are you cleared medically to do this?
Going out in the dead of winter without the proper gear, $$ and little idea what you are getting into is not my idea of fun. And with your limited budget it will make it even tougher. I'd wait, get a job with some money under your belt and go when its warmer.

hikerboy57
10-26-2011, 19:36
heed all the advice given here. dont go.

ekeverette
10-26-2011, 20:02
nufsaid.... did you wait all morning for the ribs?!

johnnybgood
10-26-2011, 20:06
[QUOTE=thomasmbass;1212350]iv got my lady that wants to do it with me so im not alone but health all and all im ok 2 heart surgery s/QUOTE] No way Jose' . Think this is a not so good idea.

Seek Social Services , Family , Friends .

Wobegon
10-26-2011, 20:34
This is NOT a good idea. Hiking north towards Maine for "the next few months"... meaning.... winter?

Lone Wolf
10-26-2011, 21:34
hi all im super new not yet hit the AT but with in a few weeks ill be out there and try to stay out of trouble and the way of any one out there iv not really hiked for a few to way more years im over 300Lb and out of work dont want to be on the street so iv sold all my stuff and going to find some ambition
i plan on doing this for a few months starting in a few weeks iv backpacked before so i know what it in-tales and know this is going to make me or break me im not backing down. just want to hear some ideas on how to stay alive and etc.eat good and stay warm and dry. you'll do fine. it's just walkin'

BigHodag
10-26-2011, 21:34
This time of year, I'd hike the Florida Trail (http://www.floridatrail.org/trips-backpacking.html) south from Pensacola to Orlando. More survivable than the AT.

http://www.floridatrail.org/trips-backpacking.html

For ideas on hiking inexpensively, check out Sgt Rock's advice on dirtbagging (http://hikinghq.net/dirtbag.html):

http://hikinghq.net/dirtbag.html

(http://hikinghq.net/dirtbag.html)Godspeed...

Jim Lemire
10-26-2011, 21:45
This is a tough call. I do thing your timing is bad. I met guy that began at 300 lbs plus on the trail and he had started at Springer and gone 700 miles. I was very impressed. He was inspired by the encouragement of others and help he received in towns. You are not as likely to see many people at this time. The people I met along the way are a huge part of the experience of a long hike.
Heed the advise given here and make a careful decision. It is yours to make. Best of luck

AT2000

bigcranky
10-26-2011, 22:05
The Florida National Scenic Trail would be significantly easier and safer, for a number of reasons including the weather and the terrain. Plus it's a nice trail.

Sorry to hear you are having a rough patch. Hope it gets better soon.

clsvideo
10-26-2011, 22:17
The Florida National Scenic Trail would be significantly easier and safer, for a number of reasons including the weather and the terrain. Plus it's a nice trail.

Sorry to hear you are having a rough patch. Hope it gets better soon.

The Florida Trail will be easier terrain wise and weather wise. Do be aware though that a lot of it goes through swamp land, though this time a year it does dry up some. The views aren't good though. Most of the Florida trail is through crappy land. Nothing good to see except for the stretch I like to do along the Suwannee.

rjhouser
10-26-2011, 22:23
If you seriously want to hike, wait until spring.

Gaiter
10-26-2011, 22:26
lots advice all over this site, articles are a good place to start, there is alot of advice and different techniques on this site, find what works for you...
be careful and start slow and build up

Kookork
10-27-2011, 01:01
kookork reborn lol

I cant believe you have audacity to post about me before passing the course I recommended you to .

Bro , the only thru hike You will ever accomplish is thru-hiking this website.

jlo
10-27-2011, 01:19
i miss punctuation

Johnny Thunder
10-27-2011, 01:26
i miss punctuation

i miss lonnie.

Doc Mike
10-27-2011, 03:23
mathewski, your needed to render advice in a language that most of us fail to comprehend.

jerseydave
10-27-2011, 06:38
I've heard some more experienced hikers say that a can of this can help to save you.
Good luck in your journey.

fullcount
10-27-2011, 07:14
Thomas,

Just like the other posters, I would encourage you not to go....especially heading north towards Maine. But if you do decide to take up hiking, here are a couple of suggestions;

1 - Do a search on this website for an article called "dirt bagging" by Sgt Rock. There are some tips on how to get gear and stuff fairly cheap. My main concern for you would be how to stay warm. If you can only get a bag rated to 40F, you are going to have to supplement this with a space blanket on the OUTSIDE of your bag (you cannot afford to put it inside your bag as you will start to sweat and then you will end up with hypothermia).

2 - Consider heading south towards Springer Mountain. At least if you make it there, Atlanta is not too far from this terminus and you will have services available. If you are getting in better shape by then, you could continue onto the Benton MacKaye Trail and onto the Pinhoti (http://www.pinhotitrailalliance.org/trailmaps.html) which will take you into Alabama. Once you hit the end of the Pinhoti, it is a short road walk to Montgomery, AL where there are some more services. If you are real ambitious, continue walking towards the warmth of FL. At least you will be heading out of the real bad weather instead of into a dangerous situation up north.

Good luck, like I said earlier, please consider putting this off until it warms up next spring. IF you can do this, at least there will be other hikers out there to assist you. Unfortunately, if you head out now, there will be limited assistance should things go bad.

Old Hiker
10-27-2011, 07:29
i miss punctuation

Reload, take your time and squeeeeeeeeeeze.

generoll
10-27-2011, 08:19
like they said, go to Florida for the winter. Check out the Florida Trail. You can hike and live in the Ocala National Forest. That'll give you a chance to see if living in the woods is really for you.

peakseeker
10-27-2011, 08:39
I do not want to come across as negative because I love the adventurer and risk taker but.....You kidding right? If you are asking a serious question, which after reading some comments I don't think you are, you must be trying to commit suicide. There is NO way anyone could survive based on what your suggesting and asking. Maybe in the warmer months but if you are serious about
trying this in the WINTER, I hope you have you have have peace with your maker.

Do not do it!

This is MY advice and personal opinion only

4eyedbuzzard
10-27-2011, 09:08
Maybe less time on Whiteblaze.net and more time on Monster.com would be a good idea?

nitewalker
10-27-2011, 09:51
at this time of year u should be on the florida trail. the weather along the AT can be very volitaile during november and december. you should stay on the southern portion of the AT if you are going to do this.. here in connecticut we are going to get snow tonight, so they say. the connecticut portion of the AT will have snow for sure..do not underestimate what u will face on the AT and what mother nature can throw at u. good luck and be safe.....

magneto
10-27-2011, 10:03
+1 on the "Troll Spray!"

Slo-go'en
10-27-2011, 10:09
I do hope this is a troll thread, otherwise it is a very sad indication of the state of our economy and our country...

theoilman
10-27-2011, 10:48
+1 to moytoy. Winter is the hiking season in Florida. It doesn't sound like you are prepared for winter hiking on the AT in the mountains, I know I am not!

Papa D
10-27-2011, 11:49
Look at the OP's name Thomasmbass - pronounce it this way THOMB-MB-AS& - not too much of a stretch to Dumb-As$ - I'm pretty sure that this a total BS - joke - come-on - a 300 pound dude and "his lady" they have $50 and want to through hike in the winter! It's just too stupid to be anything other than a joke

sbhikes
10-27-2011, 11:59
I'd suggest the OP spend the winter in a library studying grammar and punctuation. This would probably do a lot more good for his immediate and future survival.

Feral Nature
10-27-2011, 12:09
I'd suggest the OP spend the winter in a library studying grammar and punctuation. This would probably do a lot more good for his immediate and future survival.

no kidding

kanga
10-27-2011, 13:23
op, you're in the wrong place if you want any constructive criticism. the only thing people one this website know how to say is " you can't do it! stay and be an armchair hiker with the rest of us!"

and for those of you that you can't hike in the winter with walmart gear, you've obviously only started hiking in your middle years when you can afford middle to top of the line equipment. i spent 10 years hiking winter and summer with walmart gear and some of it i still use.

4eyedbuzzard
10-27-2011, 13:52
Hiking (or more likely squatting somewhere on) the AT in winter ain't gonna help make the OP's problems (no job and no home) go away. He's gonna come back to the exact same situation sooner than later.

Miami Joe
10-27-2011, 14:23
Have at it, Thomas. Thin the herd.

ALLEGHENY
10-27-2011, 14:33
How can someone get food stamps on the AT?

hikerboy57
10-27-2011, 14:35
How can someone get food stamps on the AT?at 300 lbs, he wont need food stamps till the first mail drop(2 days).

peakseeker
10-27-2011, 15:23
He won't make it to the first mail drop :)

clsvideo
10-27-2011, 15:49

Well said.

motlekj06
10-27-2011, 16:48

Best answer i've seen yet...

Slo-go'en
10-27-2011, 18:08
and for those of you that you can't hike in the winter with walmart gear.

My first couple of winter hikes, which were just overnighters, using cheap department store gear nearly killed me. I didn't do that again until I got much more suitable gear. Of course, these trips were in Vermont and New Hampshire, where winter is usually a bit more serious then points farther south.

If the OP is for real, he has no buisness being anywhere near the AT during the winter months or anytime of year for that matter. No money, over weight with a history of heart problems, junk for gear, no hiking experiance -- thats a recipe for disaster. Those that encourage such irresponsable behavior are themself's irresponsable.

kanga
10-27-2011, 18:20
My first couple of winter hikes, which were just overnighters, using cheap department store gear nearly killed me. I didn't do that again until I got much more suitable gear. Of course, these trips were in Vermont and New Hampshire, where winter is usually a bit more serious then points farther south.

If the OP is for real, he has no buisness being anywhere near the AT during the winter months or anytime of year for that matter. No money, over weight with a history of heart problems, junk for gear, no hiking experiance -- thats a recipe for disaster. Those that encourage such irresponsable behavior are themself's irresponsable.
well, good. i'm glad somebody put you in charge of these things then.

Kookork
10-27-2011, 18:58
op, you're in the wrong place if you want any constructive criticism. the only thing people one this website know how to say is " you can't do it! stay and be an armchair hiker with the rest of us!"

and for those of you that you can't hike in the winter with walmart gear, you've obviously only started hiking in your middle years when you can afford middle to top of the line equipment. i spent 10 years hiking winter and summer with walmart gear and some of it i still use.

Sir , are you out of your mind to suggest the OP to go for his adventure. do not push two peolpe to a very obvious danger just because you believe in your walmart stuff. If you say they work for you ok, Good for you.

They dont work in his situation. they never did .

His plan is very easy to describe: wrong season, wrong equipment, wrong plan, wrong preparation(if any), wrong company, wrong trail and 300 pounds with just 2 heart surgery( not 5 or 6 he means).

I have no advice for him even if he really exits but change all those wrongs I mentiond earlier to right and then go enjoy hiking.

But my advice to you is to be more responsible for you advice, it is not about buying a sleeping bag, it is about life and death.

hikerboy57
10-27-2011, 19:09

and for those of you that you can't hike in the winter with walmart gear, you've obviously only started hiking in your middle years when you can afford middle to top of the line equipment. i spent 10 years hiking winter and summer with walmart gear and some of it i still use.when i was much younger( i think it was either 77 or 78, i was caught in a whiteout somewhere between monroe and mt washington, got below treeline, bivied overnight in a nylon boy scout tent, and a couple of sleeping bags that who knows what rating they were, and we almost froze to death. were able to posthole out the next morning. we were lucky the storm blew thru quickly as we were hopelessly under equipped , even though it was "only "mid november.its a lesson i never forgot about hiking in the mountains. I think your advice is a bit irresponsible.experience can overcome poor equipment most of the time, but no experience, poor health and poor equipment?I dont think so.For some reason the last few days have brought out some deathseekers, and they dont need any further encouragement.

kanga
10-27-2011, 19:11
Sir , are you out of your mind to suggest the OP to go for his adventure. do not push two peolpe to a very obvious danger just because you believe in your walmart stuff. If you say they work for you ok, Good for you.

They dont work in his situation. they never did .

His plan is very easy to describe: wrong season, wrong equipment, wrong plan, wrong preparation(if any), wrong company, wrong trail and 300 pounds with just 2 heart surgery( not 5 or 6 he means).

I have no advice for him even if he really exits but change all those wrongs I mentiond earlier to right and then go enjoy hiking.

But my advice to you is to be more responsible for you advice, it is not about buying a sleeping bag, it is about life and death.

lol! wrong company. you're a hoot.

thomasmbass
10-27-2011, 19:17
well old fart this is not a joke at all im sorry if your small brain cant comprehend that we are for real but this is our dream. im his lady and yes we are overweight and hiking in fall/winter but we have decided to go south and have more money than you said. obviously you people have no concern for others feelings. he was asking for advice like how to tell what time it is if your watch dies, or tips on keepng warm but not making the load super heavy. i think you all should be ashamed of yourselves for judging instead of helping or not saying anything at all. didnt your mama raise you better. if you dont have anything nice to say, then dont say anything at all. -sincerely thomas m. bass' lady lauren.

thomasmbass
10-27-2011, 19:27
im sorry to all that hike to call themselves better than other people. im not going to hike to look down on people like you do, im going to hike to explore the world, myself, relationship, and other things. the fact that im about to be homeless etc. is coincidental and more motivation to fulfill my dream of hiking long distance. so all you negative nancys can shove it!!!!!!

hikerboy57
10-27-2011, 19:30
if you're serious about doing this during the winter, I suggest you read the book "not without peril" to help you avoid potentially lethal mistakes and keep you alive.In th

Kookork
10-27-2011, 19:31
well old fart this is not a joke at all im sorry if your small brain cant comprehend that we are for real but this is our dream. im his lady and yes we are overweight and hiking in fall/winter but we have decided to go south and have more money than you said. obviously you people have no concern for others feelings. he was asking for advice like how to tell what time it is if your watch dies, or tips on keepng warm but not making the load super heavy. i think you all should be ashamed of yourselves for judging instead of helping or not saying anything at all. didnt your mama raise you better. if you dont have anything nice to say, then dont say anything at all. -sincerely thomas m. bass' lady lauren.

My momma told me stop people from falling into a deep hole if you can but dont be silent knowing that he or she(and in this case both) would not listen,do your job, I listened to my mommy and have great respect for everyone who is trying to stop you. You are there to enjoy after all. There is no fun there for anybody at this time of the year. I would say the same thing to my brother.

nitewalker
10-27-2011, 19:38
im sorry to all that hike to call themselves better than other people. im not going to hike to look down on people like you do, im going to hike to explore the world, myself, relationship, and other things. the fact that im about to be homeless etc. is coincidental and more motivation to fulfill my dream of hiking long distance. so all you negative nancys can shove it!!!!!!

people are trying to make you realize that a novice adventure into the southern appalacians during november, december and january could have horrible consequences.

kanga
10-27-2011, 20:11
by being condescending and omnipotent-ish. amen.

Hoop
10-27-2011, 20:51
Thomas and Lauren, don't be offended - it's an internet forum, after all, so take it easy; everyone's fair game. Seems you're inexperienced in winter hiking, so do yourselves a favor and listen to the mean people advising you to Stop, Look and Listen. Whatever problems you're dealing with - is shivering in the woods the best alternative?

hikerboy57
10-27-2011, 21:09
winter hiking involves a bit more planning than other times of year, and the mountains in winter can be unforgiving of mistakes.without a watch under cloudcover, there arent many ways to judge the correct time.How to stay war,m? well thats a tough question. for one thing, no cotton anything, for another a good tentand bag might help, as well as base layer ,fleece and shell, a layering system that will keep you dry. You need to keep your head feet and hands the warmest, as your body steers your blood to your torso where warmth is needed the most. You need to be aware of the first signs of hypothermia, which can kill in above-freezing temperatures. the people here arent trying to make fun of you, theyre trying to make sure you know exactly what you're attemptiing, and how difficult it can be. you may be blessed with great weather, and in spite of the odds, somehow complete your hike, but when I hike I like to stack the odds a bit more in my favor.

Trailbender
10-28-2011, 02:22
How can someone get food stamps on the AT?

I think you can get them as being homeless, and you could be looking for work as well. I considered doing it, just so I could hike continuously. It would honestly be worth it, to just be able to hike all the time. Best bet would be stay in Virginia, it is the longest section of the AT, and do odd jobs if you can get them.

I talked to my caseworker about that very thing. I said I would be traveling up the AT looking for work, he said whenever you get where you are going, send the paperwork to have them cut off, then reapply in the state you are in, if you are still eligible. I only applied when I was about to become homeless and had like 200 dollars to my name. I am currently working, but it is only part time, so I still get a modest amount.

futureatwalker
10-28-2011, 04:11
You wrote:

just want to hear some ideas on how to stay alive and etc.

i dont know if i can get any thing under a 40 degree sleep bag but i can improvise

OK, here's my tip: you need a much, much warmer sleeping bag.

Forget about how much it weighs, you need a 0 degree bag. You can probably pick one up for $70 or so:

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___47330

Next, I would get a sleeping pad. This isn't just for comfort, it will be much warmer if you have something between yourself and the ground.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___43008

There are cheaper options, but this is the standard.

Also, sleep with some warm, dry socks, and dry clothes.

If you are serious about this, your biggest challenge is going to be staying warm at night (and in the winter, it's mostly night).

thomasmbass
10-28-2011, 05:34
iv been trying to think of a good sleep pad option we found big cooler bags like 18'x18' tape a few of them together as many as it taks to get from head to toe dose any one think this could work if it can keep cold things cold and hot things hot it can do the same for cold ground to warm people ?as well pack size recommendations

Rocket Jones
10-28-2011, 07:38
Better than the cooler bags would be blue foam pads from WalMart. Put the pad inside the cooler bags if you want, but you need more than just a couple of thin layers of mylar.

thomasmbass
10-28-2011, 08:14
like a yoga mat? at walmart for 10 dollars would that work

ekeverette
10-28-2011, 08:57
yes.... they have them at walmart... bit heavy, but they will do ok.

clsvideo
10-28-2011, 08:59
like a yoga mat? at walmart for 10 dollars would that work
Go to the camping section of walmart. They have a cheap foam sleeping pad. But yes, it's like a yoga mat. As for pack size recommendations, Sounds like you will need something pretty large like a 75 or 80 liter.

kanga
10-28-2011, 10:35
1. remember to keep your core warm. your fingers/toes/extremities can get frostbite, so gloves and warm socks are a must, but your body regulates from it's core. don't let your chest get cold or stay super wet when you're not moving. always keep a dry set of clothes in a waterproof bag like silnylon. also, you lose a lot of heat from your head, so a warm fleece or wool cap for camp is very useful.
don't wear cottons, stay with wool blends or synthetics like polypropylene. they stink after awhile, but wools keep you warm even when wet and polys dry quickly from sweat. wear layers. when you're hiking, you can take off your top layers and just wear a shirt, then when you stop at camp or for a break, you can pull on a fleece before your core cools down to much. always conserve your body's natural heat.

2. when you get to camp, pull on your top layers and let your body heat dry the sweat off of your base layers under that fleece or jacket. by the time you've cooled down, your clothes should be dry and you can put on your camp clothes. however, if you're slightly hypothermic or if you're wet from rain, go ahead and put on dry clothes and get warm quickly. a hot drink right when you get to camp, snuggling in a sleeping bag, warm food - these things can help your body get back up to temps if you're not too far gone.

3. get your gear together, make sure it's what you want and how much space it takes up and THEN go get you a pack. nothing worse than buying a pack, then your gear, and then figuring out that they don't fit together.

4. as for telling time, find out what the basic sunset/sunrise times will be for the months you will be out there. pretty much 7 am and 7 pm right now. then, as long as you don't have huge sausage fingers, hold your hand out against the horizon with your fingers running horizontally. don't use your thumb, just the other four. every finger is approximately 15 minutes. so, if you can fit all four fingers between the horizon and the bottom of the sun, you have an hour until it gets dark, so 6 pm right now. also, you need to take into account the mountains directly around you blocking the horizon. the far side of the mountain from the sun will get darker much more quickly than the side facing the sun.

Slo-go'en
10-28-2011, 11:28
The best advice on how to stay alive is still "DON'T GO!"

Six-Six
10-28-2011, 11:37
i miss punctuation

I know I feel better.

Old Hiker
10-28-2011, 12:00
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’

Internet anonymity allows people to much more abrasive than they normally would be face to face. It may also be healthy skepticism about whether you are "real" or not as to why some answers are not polite. I'd like to believe that even the abrasive nay-sayers are concerned with your safety. Please, sift through the dross to find the nuggets and take them to heart before you make any final decisions. Good luck.

chief
10-28-2011, 14:02
WILL WORK FOR FOOD
Oh wait, my food is free!
Forget it, can't work either (will lose my free food)

WILL HIKE
Need advice

DavidNH
10-28-2011, 14:28
the AT is NOT the place to go find yourself for a few months, especially during the winter, and more especially when you are running very low, or out of cash. Plus weighing 300 pounds without recent hiking experience you aren't likely to last long on the trail

Spend several months planning, have several thousand dollars (3000-6000) saved up and do a real trip intelligently. I'd rec. the southern half of the trail though the smokies could be unpleasant in winter. also, maybe working on your writing skills abit?

david

BobTheBuilder
10-28-2011, 14:31
You have to admit, the "nothing to lose, live or die" title of the OP is way over the top, drama-wise. However, if you want to freeze to death, at least have the consideration not to do it on the AT where a lot of people will be required to drag your frozen carcass out to a road crossing.

clsvideo
10-28-2011, 14:43
You have to admit, the "nothing to lose, live or die" title of the OP is way over the top, drama-wise. However, if you want to freeze to death, at least have the consideration not to do it on the AT where a lot of people will be required to drag your frozen carcass out to a road crossing.

Good point Bob. Not good publicity for the trail either.

ALLEGHENY
10-28-2011, 16:42
I think you can get them as being homeless, and you could be looking for work as well. I considered doing it, just so I could hike continuously. It would honestly be worth it, to just be able to hike all the time. Best bet would be stay in Virginia, it is the longest section of the AT, and do odd jobs if you can get them.

I talked to my caseworker about that very thing. I said I would be traveling up the AT looking for work, he said whenever you get where you are going, send the paperwork to have them cut off, then reapply in the state you are in, if you are still eligible. I only applied when I was about to become homeless and had like 200 dollars to my name. I am currently working, but it is only part time, so I still get a modest amount.

What a country! Take a vacation on the Dept. of Agriculture's budget.

jerseydave
10-28-2011, 17:31

And seemingly proud of it

tridavis
10-28-2011, 17:41
Maybe you could hitch out to the CDT as it would be much more suitable in mid winter. You wouldn't have to worry about too much food or how much money you have. Just go and enjoy the sunshine and the Rookies. That's what I'd do if I were you.

Gray_Ghost
10-28-2011, 18:10
Maybe you could hitch out to the CDT as it would be much more suitable in mid winter. You wouldn't have to worry about too much food or how much money you have. Just go and enjoy the sunshine and the Rookies. That's what I'd do if I were you.

Where on the CDT would it be warmer than the AT and with less snow in the winter? I had ten degree temps in New Mexico in May.

thomasmbass
10-28-2011, 18:43
getting it all to gather ill post a list of things im thinking of packing, later maybe tell me what els to bring or to leave out thanks for the support

Nutbrown
10-28-2011, 19:27
I think it's ironic that Thomas is getting more support than the Navy guy spoutin off about hiking SOBO for a speed record.

Thomas, freezer bags and walmart crap is not what you need to keep you alive. Please do a lot more research on places OTHER than WB. I realize you don't need state of the art... maybe check into a local army surplus and talk to an old timer about supplies. You might be able to outfit yourself with better quality.

but I still wonder if you really exist ;)

Trailbender
10-29-2011, 00:11

And seemingly proud of it

Anything I ever owed this country, I paid off in Iraq.

4eyedbuzzard
10-29-2011, 00:47
Anything I ever owed this country, I paid off in Iraq.

I don't really care if you're getting food stamps, or UI, or WC, or whatever, and are off hiking. The legality and ethics of that are up to you and the government to decide. But your service in Iraq doesn't entitle you to #$%^ the system. You signed up voluntarily to serve and you were paid for your service. One doesn't have anything to do with the other.

Trailbender
10-29-2011, 10:10
I don't really care if you're getting food stamps, or UI, or WC, or whatever, and are off hiking. The legality and ethics of that are up to you and the government to decide. But your service in Iraq doesn't entitle you to #$%^ the system. You signed up voluntarily to serve and you were paid for your service. One doesn't have anything to do with the other.

Whatever, I was mainly talking about the whiny civilians getting all p1ssy about it. I'm not hiking on food stamps, I was merely stating that it might be possible. The guy asked a question, I answered it, somebody jumped in and got all self righteous.

Toolshed
10-29-2011, 11:28
Anything I ever owed this country, I paid off in Iraq.trailbender. I'm a vet and I didn't give up and decide to just take from my country. Were you like this before your service. either way, Why so jaded?

4eyedbuzzard
10-29-2011, 12:55
Whatever, I was mainly talking about the whiny civilians getting all p1ssy about it. I'm not hiking on food stamps, I was merely stating that it might be possible. The guy asked a question, I answered it, somebody jumped in and got all self righteous.Sorry if I misinterpreted and went off on you personally. And I thank you for your prior service. I was more just venting my frustration at all the people who abuse the system for what wasn't intended. Taking a hiking trip or other vacation is just one of them. People on UI are supposed to be applying their efforts toward finding employment, not hiking. People on WC are supposed to be on work restrictions, and if you're healthy enough to hike you're healthy enough to work or at minimum not be putting your recovery in jeopardy by hiking. Same situation goes for welfare and all the rest. All those people ought to be devoting their time and energy toward being self supporting. Hiking is a privilege and a vacation. Too many people out there #$%^ing the system as a way of life.

Del Q
10-29-2011, 13:12
Agree, don't do the AT as you are thinking about, being cold 24 hours a day is a new experience.

When you are moving it will be warm, when you stop is when things will get dicey. Stay true to "easier to stay warm than get warm", at your weight you will need to eat a lot of calories, rice, beans, peanut butter, etc. There are a lot of people with good or great gear that they might sell for cheap, mandatory would be rain pants and jacket, good boots, layering !!!, definitely a 10 or 15 degree bag and maybe a liner as well or you will be misearble. This time of year you could shelter hop but then you will be pressured by miles.

The only people I have heard of, met or read about who camp/backpack in the winter are experienced, knowledageble & properly equipped individuals.

Trailbender
10-30-2011, 00:06
Sorry if I misinterpreted and went off on you personally. And I thank you for your prior service. I was more just venting my frustration at all the people who abuse the system for what wasn't intended. Taking a hiking trip or other vacation is just one of them. People on UI are supposed to be applying their efforts toward finding employment, not hiking. People on WC are supposed to be on work restrictions, and if you're healthy enough to hike you're healthy enough to work or at minimum not be putting your recovery in jeopardy by hiking. Same situation goes for welfare and all the rest. All those people ought to be devoting their time and energy toward being self supporting. Hiking is a privilege and a vacation. Too many people out there #$%^ing the system as a way of life.

I didn't mean you, I meant the two previous posters. I don't mention Iraq for accolades, it is more of a reminder to people that you have no idea who you are talking to on the internet, and jumping to conclusions about someone is almost always wrong. If someone was on welfare, I'd rather them hike than sit around watching TV all day, honestly. I see hiking more and more as a way of life, I feel more at peace in the woods than anywhere else. I want to do it year round, and work odd jobs off and on to pay for it. I haven't been the same since my 2010 thru, and I would be out there right now if it wasn't for my student loans. After I pay them off with a factory job or something, I am going out there, probably do the Florida Trail first.

Honestly, I love hiking so much, I wouldn't care how I paid for it. If it took food stamps, I would do that. I would rather just do odd jobs though. What job I have and whether I am on benefits does not define me as a person.

rjjones
10-30-2011, 09:26
Trailbender,i would like to thank you for your service to our country and efforts to keep us safe and able to hike and do the things we enjoy doing.I appreciate the efforts of ALL our servicemen.Bass,i would have to second Dels comments on the cold.Its one thing to hike in the cold,but another to spend endless days in the cold.It gets dark at 5 pm{and starts to get realy cold},and doesnt get light out till 6am{and doesnt start to warm till 8 or 9 am if that}.Thats a LONG COLD NIGHT,NIGHT,AFTER NIGHT,AFTER NIGHT.You may want to try it for a couple of days with a bailout plan before commiting to months of it.Good luck no matter what you do.

hobby
10-30-2011, 09:51
Thomas M. Bass from North Carolina--
Any kin to Ernest T. ??

hikerboy57
10-30-2011, 10:40
one thing I would strongly advised is to listen to your body and dont try to push too hard, especially early on. A few weeks on the trail will slowly work your body into shape. If you push too hard, you're going to sweat a lot, which can be a killer , even when temps are in the fifties.Theres nothing wrong with a 3 or 5 mile day in the beginning just to allow your body to learn its own pace.The key to staying warm is also to stay dry. and if nothing else, theres no embarrassment in quitting, if you sense you're heading into trouble, or if the weather takes an abrupt turn. its supposed to be fun, not a survival test.

booney_1
10-31-2011, 14:57
People are discouraging you because this trek would be extremely difficult for an experienced hiker. It should give you cause for concern that among a community where people celebrate a 2100+ hike, I have never heard of anyone doing it in winter. You may not realize this, but they close the northern end Oct 15th. (the weather conditions are not merely uncomfortable, but dangerous)

There are so many problems above and beyond the normal thru-hike that I don't know where to start. One would be...how do you even follow the trail??
AT blazes are white. Often they are painted on rocks. There will be no one breaking trail for you, and with snow on the ground the trail would be hard to even follow. You will have numerous days with storms. One of the problems with blowing snow is visibility. You just can't see very far ahead. The distance between AT blazes is not set for these conditions. You'll have short days, and yes you'll have to stop as the visibility becomes even worse.
You need to have equipment (sleeping bags) and clothing, not for the average temp, but for the worse conditions you'll find yourself in. I'm not familiar with the northern portion of the AT, but I can tell you places like Grayson highlands in winter can be as bad as anywhere. In fact this is your nightmare scenario People get lost up there in the summertime. There are a lot of other trails and because there are many places with no trees, blazes are on rocks, or non-existent. Oh yeah, it's about a mile high and storms come up real fast. People often have miserable Aprils there. Here is a news story from a few years ago about a boy scout troop that needed rescuing from this area...

http://americasroof.com/wp/archives/2005/01/24/11-boy-scouts-and-3-searchers-hospitalized-with-frostbite-at-grayson-highlands/

I'm from upstate NY and when I grew up I did a lot of hiking/camping in the snow...When there is more than 6-8 inches of snow on the ground it starts to get difficult to walk. You can't even think about hiking long in 2 feet of snow, even forgetting about drifts.

I'm in NC also. I like general idea of a long hike for anybody. How about the Mountain to Sea trail in NC? It's not completely connected up yet, but large portions exist. Camping is only allowed in a few areas, but I think it's a great opportunity for stealth camping. There will be a lot of portions where you are hking near cities so you can resupply without a problem. The trails are also easier than the AT until you get North of Winston-Salem.

Good luck at whatever you choose...
PS...

there is an interesting thread under the straight foward...on the smokies in winter...
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?78013-Smokies-in-winter

(http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?78013-Smokies-in-winter)

DBT fan
11-04-2011, 00:58

I just hope they don't forget to bring a government supported cell phone to call for help if things get too difficult. If these two ever get on the trail they will quickly realize that winter hiking can be hard.

mgeiger
11-04-2011, 10:40
There's certainly more senseless uses/abuses of government assistance than going out and hiking.

I was unemployed for nearly a year. Looking back, I wish like hell I would have taken on a long hike, rather than do some of the stupid things I did. That said, it was still a profound time and changed me for the better, professionally and spiritually. Imagine what being in the woods would have done for me…

I think taking some advice and doing this right will do the OPs some good.

aojiroi
11-04-2011, 17:36
I get where you're coming from OP! I'm doing the same. I wish you the best of luck.

aojiroi
11-04-2011, 17:52

I didn't read this before but I seriously hope you don't budget out your food with food stamps. Food stamps are only good in the state in which they were originally issued in. If you use the benefit card out of state they will freeze your food stamps.