PDA

View Full Version : From the ARCH to top of falls

lobster
03-01-2005, 13:09
Of the folks who hike the approach trail, about what % hike this piece?

What's the trail distance of this piece and what is the vertical gain?

I would guess that hiking this little segment would be cause for a meal at the hotel.

I have the feeling that the ARCH should be the start of the AT. There is just something right about passing under it and beginning the journey.

halibut15
03-01-2005, 13:11
I think it's about a mile or more...just guessing. When I thru-hike (eventually), I'll do it. Even if the climb does suck, what's the harm in it?

orangebug
03-01-2005, 13:54
The approach trail is about 8 miles, and mostly a pure climb up. The first bit is quite steep, and has the opportunity to be very slippery as you walk besides the falls. It is relatively a mild climb compared to other spots in NC and TN, even compared to Tray Mountain in GA. But it is the first smack in the face that the trail offers you.

It has grown a reputation that beats the reality, much as Sassafras Mountain has done. It can beat you to a pulp, but it can be fun. It all depends on what you bring to the trail.

AbeHikes
03-01-2005, 13:59
The hike to the top of the falls is only part of the Approach Trail and, technically, the falls location is not on the trail. It's about the distance of most shelters from the approach trail. But, to the falls from the arch is about a mile. I think it's about .5 miles from the arch to the hillside terraced service road, than another .5 to the top of the falls area (with the bathrooms, Coke machines, etc).

The entire Approach Trail is debatable (Arch to Springer). I've seen people here say it's 8.5 miles. I think that the sign on the trail I saw this weekend said 8.1. The Hiking Trails of North Georgia (3E) by Tim Homan says it's 8.1.

A link for the park map is at http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3910. I take it by "hotel", you mean the lodge. I've never been there, but I hear it's nice.

I don't have any figures on vertical gain, but it's rated Moderate to Strenuous (the entire Approach Trail) by Homan. I think the signs at the park also said Strenuous. But, I'm sure that's all relative depending on your conditioning.

The first half of the "falls trail" is full of switchbacks and can raise your heart rate depending on speed and load. The second half on the service road is a steady incline relatively straight to the area at the top of the falls.

I like the Arch inclusion idea too.

Baldy
03-01-2005, 16:04
When I was there, my scoutmasters told us it was about a mile to the parkinglot at the top of the falls, and about a 1000 ft gain.