PDA

View Full Version : Carpooling/sharing shuttles for Feb 20 Springer start?

joshuasdad
10-27-2011, 01:22
My flip-flop "thru" (at least ATC calls it such) is going from September 3, 2011 to August(ish) 2012. I have been doing the easy stuff first, will be getting some winter experience from Nov-Feb, then plan on experiencing the first 25-35 miles of a traditional NOBO thru from Springer (Hike-Inn access to Springer to Woody or Neels Gap) beginning President's Day Weekend (February 20, 2011).

I then plan to stay the rest of the week, and hike the rest of Georgia with a lighter pack -- either basing out of Hiker Hostel or a condo in Helen (condos are crazy cheap in winter). For example:

Neels Gap to Unicoi Gap -- 2 day hikes (7+13), or overnighter (20 miles)
Unicoi Gap to Dicks Creek -- long day hike or overnighter (17 miles)
then if time remains, Dicks Creek to ?? -- probably 1 or 2 overnights (36.5 miles to Wallace Gap, unless possible to break hike earlier)

Any comments appreciated! I am especially interested in any way to break the Dicks Creek to Wallace Gap hike -- especially since the Forest Roads will likely be closed until March 15th.

Also, feel free to PM me if you want to share shuttles, or if you want to save some $$ and help keep me awake for the drive down from the DC area.

"Forty-two"

max patch
10-27-2011, 10:17
I am especially interested in any way to break the Dicks Creek to Wallace Gap hike -- especially since the Forest Roads will likely be closed until March 15th.

You can cut the Dicks-Wallace section in half. Hike Dicks to Deep Gap (where the FS road is closed until 3/15) and then hike the blue blazed Kimsey Creek Trail 3.5 miles to Standing Indian Campground. You're just a couple of paved road miles away from Hwy 64. Works out to about 19 miles.

joshuasdad
10-27-2011, 20:41
Sounds like the best option for an early start -- thanks! Looks like I'll need to do the whole approach trail as well, unless someone runs a snowmobile or helicopter shuttle...

max patch
10-27-2011, 22:47
Except for the occasional ice storm or unusual higher than normal snow almost all shuttlers will take you up FS42 to the Springer lot year round. If you stay at the hiker hostel (cheapest and best option) the nite before your hike they'll take up to Springer if at all possible. Other shuttlersalso available.

joshuasdad
10-28-2011, 02:10
Awesome. Looks like I can get to Deep Gap in 8-9 days without too much pain--IF there is no snowstorm. Sets me up for a 4 day trip to Nantahala, then a 7-8 day trip Nantahala through GSMNP.

With the overnighters, I was leaning towards the Hiker Hostel anyway. Could have got a condo in Helen (or near you in Sky Valley) for about $200 that week, but if I would only be there 2-3 nights, what would be the point?

Thanks again for the advice!

joshuasdad
01-20-2012, 09:44
Weather has been too good in Virginia and the northeast, so I will likely be hitting Georgia later than February 20 (late April or May), probably broken into two long weekends. But thanks again for the tips!