PDA

View Full Version : Sizing when buying wool items ?

jerseydave
10-27-2011, 07:05
I'm thinking about trying out a wool baselayer.

I have never owned merino before, and am concerned about SHRINKING when laundered.

I would hate to spend the money on a wool product only to find it uncomfortable/unusable if shrinking occured.

Does a good marino baselayer shrink significantly when washed as I am led to believe wool can do?

If so, when you buy a wool garment do you go up in size to account for the problem and how much?

I'm 5'10, about 190, and would normally be comfortable in a mens LARGE.

Should I be considering an XL?

Thanks,
jd

wannahike
10-27-2011, 09:42
The wool now used in base layers is superwash wool. The wool scales have been removed by heat or coated with a resin so that the wool can't felt. You can extend life by drying at low heat but there is not any significant shrinkage in my experience.

Tipi Walter
10-27-2011, 09:53
The wool now used in base layers is superwash wool. The wool scales have been removed by heat or coated with a resin so that the wool can't felt. You can extend life by drying at low heat but there is not any significant shrinkage in my experience.

Full agreement here. At least this applies to all the Icebreaker stuff I've used---the superfine t-shirts and the 260 and 320 zip neck tops. Wash in warm water with woolite and hang dry. Simple.

Serial 07
10-27-2011, 09:55
me personally, i haven't seen too much shrinkage with wool...i would go with a large if you plan on wearing in underneath all other layers...if you are getting a quarter zip that you plan on wearing over another layer, then get the XL...these are my thoughts...

jerseydave
10-27-2011, 10:05
As usual, thanks for the education folks.

jd