PDA

View Full Version : Will the NF cats meow 20deg bag work for AT starting late march early April

wdaley
10-27-2011, 08:00
I have read a lot of mixed reviews for the Cats meow 20deg bag about not being warm when temp drops below 30.
I understand the En rating is 34 for women and I think 29 for men.
My wife, my mom and I will be using this bag and I just want to know if it will be warm enough for starting in late March or April.
They will use the womans bag while I use reg. Found them for $80 new each couldn't pass on them.
Thanks in advance for all of your help.

The Cleaner
10-27-2011, 08:14
That bag will work great in Fla.Here in the Southern Mtns. temps still dip into the 10-20s that time of year.Backpacking is no place for bargains....

Lone Wolf
10-27-2011, 08:49
I have read a lot of mixed reviews for the Cats meow 20deg bag about not being warm when temp drops below 30.
I understand the En rating is 34 for women and I think 29 for men.
My wife, my mom and I will be using this bag and I just want to know if it will be warm enough for starting in late March or April.
They will use the womans bag while I use reg. Found them for $80 new each couldn't pass on them.
Thanks in advance for all of your help.yes. i did 4 thru-hikes with that bag each time starting in the 3rd week of march

wdaley
10-27-2011, 09:04
ok so it is now 50/50, 1 vote yes 1 vote no. I am hoping to use this bag since we are planning on using it all the way and this bag has full zipper to use as quilt when it gets warmer. I guess we could always plan on bringing some extra cold weather clothes and ditch them once we are out of freezing temps or just layer up with what we have.

Lone wolf I commend you, 4 times thru hike! I wish I had time to do more hiking.

blackbird04217
10-27-2011, 10:15
I started March 29th 2009 and used the Cat's Meow; It kept me comfortable. During the hike, I was warned that the rating given was a bit ambitious. And I'd probably agree- but it worked well enough for me.

blackbird04217
10-27-2011, 10:16
double post

Pages
10-27-2011, 10:49
not sure about temp rating, but i CAN tell you i have a cat's meow from 1979, and it has still not fallen apart (though the loft is about 1/5 of what it use to be back then.)

TV

wdaley
10-27-2011, 13:48
Thanks for all of your inputs.
I know it is not the best bag out there but I feel that it is a light enough bag and since I need to upgrade all of our equipment I need to save $ where I can without sacrificing safety, weight, and overall joy of hiking. We will be using thicker sleeping mats (2 of us are side sleepers) so that will help.

Corrigan
10-28-2011, 10:49
i've used this bag for a while now....a few times in winter but mostly in spring/fall. I have no issues with mine and really like it overall. I do carry an old poncho liner with me when its real cold out but I could probably do without. bring some thermals to sleep in and a liner if you're worried about it...cheers

10-29-2011, 11:49
My wife has a cats meow and it is her mountain summer bag. She froze in it in Virginia Grayson highlands in June, at 40 degrees. She loves the bag but it is not for cold weather for her. She uses a REI Kilo 20 degree down bag and it has worked down to 15 degrees, but it is to hot and sticky in warm humid weather.