PDA

View Full Version : excited about Katahdin Stream campground to Caratunk hike starting tomorrow!

1azarus
10-27-2011, 10:10
well, I just can't wait... and the weather forecast is way better than I am used to or deserve.

Tinker
10-27-2011, 10:19
Have a great time. That's my favorite section of the AT so far.

Is this a section hike, or have you hiked the whole trail?

1azarus
10-27-2011, 10:25
Have a great time. That's my favorite section of the AT so far.

Is this a section hike, or have you hiked the whole trail?

It is a section hike -- but it brings me close to finishing the trail -- I'll still "owe" 130 miles of Virginia, 9 miles or Pennsylvania and about 80 more miles of Maine (Rangeley to Caratunk). I have had a pretty random approach to sectioning... I can't wait to see gulf hagas. I guess swimming is pretty much out of the question. I do wonder about the cold water fords...

Tinker
10-27-2011, 10:44
Which 9mi. in Pa? I'm off to do Duncannon to Port Clinton in two weeks. After that I'll have the remainder to DWG to do in Pa. My approach gets more random each year. It isn't a big deal to me to finish the Trail any more, it's more or less a hobby, and if I do 50-100 mi. a year I'm happy. I have from Md. to Ga.(not including Ga.) to do yet, though I did about 25 mi. of the Shenandoahs back in the '70s.

Gulf Hagas has some nice views. I went around the southern side maybe 2 miles and back the same way. I had heard that it was the most scenic part.

1azarus
10-27-2011, 10:50
Which 9mi. in Pa? I'm off to do Duncannon to Port Clinton in two weeks. After that I'll have the remainder to DWG to do in Pa. My approach gets more random each year. It isn't a big deal to me to finish the Trail any more, it's more or less a hobby, and if I do 50-100 mi. a year I'm happy. I have from Md. to Ga.(not including Ga.) to do yet, though I did about 25 mi. of the Shenandoahs back in the '70s.

Gulf Hagas has some nice views. I went around the southern side maybe 2 miles and back the same way. I had heard that it was the most scenic part.

that would be from PA 183 to PA 501 -- the 501 shelter. I've been pretty stubborn about only wanting to hike in PA when there's snow on the ground -- at least enough to cover the rocks! I might sneak down there sometime later this winter.

1azarus
10-27-2011, 10:52
anyway, Tinker, you are way younger than I am, so take your time! you have some wonderful hiking left. I hope you have a great trip.