PDA

View Full Version : Do you use Footprint?

woolfie and GG
03-01-2005, 13:51
hi starting out soon!!!!
using a hilliberg nallo 2 for our hike,
but who uses's footprints for their tents?
homemade or hilliberg?
woolfie

kncats
03-01-2005, 15:21
We use one made of Tyvek under the floor of our tent. Not so much for the waterproofing, but rather to save wear and tear on the tent. It's a lot easier (and cheaper) to replace a groundcloth/footprint than it is the bottom of your tent. It also provides protection under our sleeping pads when staying in a shelter.

hikerjohnd
03-01-2005, 15:31
Well, I tried to post this once, but got an error message, so if I accidentally post twice - sorry!

I always use some kind of ground cloth! The groundcloth takes the brunt of the friction between your body and the ground, preserving your tent floor. I have used a Eureka tent for years and have gone through several groundcloths and the floor of the tent still looks new!

Now, plastic sheet or footprint? That depends on the functionality of the footprint. I have a Big Agnes tent that allows the fly and the footprint to be pitched together without the tent body, so with that tent I use the footprint. I also have a tarptent (no commercial footprint availible) so I use a piece of tyvek. If the footprint offers some advantage over plastic, think about whether or not you'd use it in that capacity. More often than not, I opt for the plastic (or tyvek). I think my big agnes is the only footprint I own...

Hope this helps!:sun

woolfie and GG
03-01-2005, 17:36
thanks guy's

think I'll end up with footprint which also covers vestibule
woolfie

BlackCloud
03-01-2005, 19:23
Don't any more. On my last tent, a Sierra Designs, the footprint did such a great job the tent's waterproofing died before I got a hole in the waterproof tub floor. On my new tent, a Mtn Hardwear, I forewent the footprint & will let the flooring (which IS waterproof) slowly wear out..........

NICKTHEGREEK
03-01-2005, 19:50
Use one all the time on 3 walrus tents and a Garuda Tasir all fitted from the mfgrs. I think the protection afforded is worth the weight and for an expensive tent like yours I'd be extra sure to have one. To me the biggest advantage is it keeps the tent floor cleaner and they double for mini tarps if you need some shade for a quick siesta, shelter from rain or just a picnic blanket. If you make your own keep in mind it needs to be about 1 inch smaller than the tent floor so it doesn't collect water and route it under the tent, and they work best if you can stake it out first then put the tent on top of it.

superman
03-01-2005, 20:28
Nope, if there's a problem with the tent I replace it. It's just gear.