PDA

View Full Version : AT shuttles

sodastat
10-27-2011, 19:54
Hello All,
New to this site, and I have a plan that's just starting and I am here for doing some research. I live in Minnesota and was wondering if it was possible to fly out to an airport near the AT, get a shuttle, hike for a week and then get a shuttle back to the same or another airport. When is the best time to hike the AT? What are the mountains of Carolina like in the summer? Lots of bugs and heat/humidity? Or better to wait til after Labor Day?
Thanks,
Dave

joshuasdad
10-27-2011, 20:36
Welcome to WhiteBlaze!

Your plan is possible in a number of places, especially Georgia (Atlanta airport); North Carolina (Asheville); NoVA/MD/PA (DC airports); NJ/NY (NYC airports); VT/NH (Albany/Manchester/Boston airports). As for timing, tough to go wrong after Labor Day until mid-October, unless you are talking about the high peaks of the White Mountains (can be pretty cold there). There is a shuttle list that is on this site, and ATC puts out one every year. Also, look into local trains and buses. For example, Amtrak from DC to Harpers Ferry, WV, hike north to near Harrisburg/Duncannon. Take Amtrak or Greyhound from Harrisburg to DC.

Blissful
10-27-2011, 20:40
The mid Atlantic and south is pretty hot and humid from June through Sept. If you want to hike in the summer, I'd suggest New England. But its also nice there after Labor Day. I'd do the south after Oct 1st, in leaf season.

Skid.
11-01-2011, 10:37
I used a shuttle operator last week who told me he picks up at the Roanoke, VA airport which is close to the AT at Daleville. However I thought late October would be great, and hiked in snow near Pearisburg above 2,500 ft.

booney_1
11-01-2011, 11:25
Check out Bluff Mountain Outfitters in Hot Springs,NC The AT is nice both north and south of Hot Springs. The trail goes through the town. They offer shuttles from points on the trail as well as Asheville and Charlotte. You maybe better off renting a car and driving to Hot Springs from the airport though. Also if you fly into charlotte you could take a bus to Asheville.

The mountains are nice in the summer. There are generally no bugs, there's not a lot of water and we usually sleep under tarps. (I've been camping in the boundary waters in the summer...if you used a tarp...the skeeters would carry you away). It can be warm, but it's much cooler than the lower elevations. You'll run into people on the trail, but not many. After labor day would be very nice also.

http://www.bluffmountain.com/-shuttlerates

snowsusie
11-01-2011, 12:49
You can fly in and out of Atlanta. Hiker Hostel can give you a package deal to include pick up from North Springs MARTA (you get this train at the airport), trail shuttle and overnight accomodations. They will shuttle you for day hikes or a backpack. You can hike 67 miles in GA. Go in the fall. Foliage and weather are great. ~Freebird

pyroman53
11-01-2011, 14:36
I suggest you figure out approximately where and when you want to go, (plenty of good advice above) and then do a post asking for help working out the specifics. For instance, "Thinking of flying to Asheville, NC...next Fall...week long hike...75 miles or so...who might I contact for a shuttle and what's a good section to do?" Then folks can help you figure out the specifics.

flemdawg1
11-01-2011, 16:04
Hello All,
New to this site, and I have a plan that's just starting and I am here for doing some research. I live in Minnesota and was wondering if it was possible to fly out to an airport near the AT, get a shuttle, hike for a week and then get a shuttle back to the same or another airport. When is the best time to hike the AT? What are the mountains of Carolina like in the summer? Lots of bugs and heat/humidity? Or better to wait til after Labor Day?
Thanks,
Dave

It's possible to do what you're proposing, however, you don't have to do it that way. I've flown in one airport and out another with shuttles at either/both ends (In DC Reagan (train to Harper Ferry WV), out Harrisburg, PA).

The best time in the NC/TN mountains is mid-april to Memorial Day (except the thru hiker herd is on the march then), and a week after Labor Day to Mid-Oct.

drgreenthumb
11-02-2011, 01:12
I live in Wisconsin and I'm planning a trip for May. I am going to take a Greyhound to the closest city I can find and then a taxi to the start. I had some trouble finding shuttles to and from where I needed to go. I didnt know there was an airport in Asheville (thank you joshuasdad), I will also look into that for a return trip. Good luck with figuring out your trip!

joshuasdad
11-02-2011, 04:00
drgreenthumb, I forgot Knoxville Airport (TYS) as well, which is convenient for the Smokies, especially if ending at Fontana Dam or Gatlinburg. For convenience, Appleton to ATL, then TYS or AVL to Appleton would be your best bet (probably about $400 from a quick check). You can save a few flight bucks by leaving from Chicago (saw a $267 fare), but that probably would not be worth it. Oshkosh to Gainesville, GA would be a LONG busride, and maybe not cheaper than a open jaw roundtrip flight when combined with the flight back.

You should be able to find a trail angel or shuttler that regularly makes the commute from ATL to Springer area to help you out (donations appreciated/required from some). Hiker Hostel is another option. Getting to AVL or TYS might be significantly more expensive for the way back--unless you have friends/relatives/trail angels to help--but you should be able to get there for under $100.

Hope you have a great trip!

Cookerhiker
11-02-2011, 08:05
The ATC shuttle and transportation list: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs/default-document-library/ATShuttlesParking101311.pdf?Status=Master

d.o.c
11-02-2011, 08:21
ive been picking up hikers from roanoke and taking them to the trail PM if needed can take you north or south of roanoke i like going north but thats just me..

Fireweed
11-02-2011, 11:31
I'm thinking of Roanoak via train tomorrow. Any chance of a shuttle? I'm leaving DC this afternoon or tomorrow afternoon. 907 632 4841 Fireweed.

Been snowed out of NY and the trees are down as far south as Harpers Ferry & south. Baring GA, I'm hoping to hike for 3 weeks in sw VA.

ive been picking up hikers from roanoke and taking them to the trail PM if needed can take you north or south of roanoke i like going north but thats just me..

Berserker
11-02-2011, 12:26
Cookerhiker put up a link to the shuttle list, and I have contacted and gotten multiple shuttles from people off of that list. I have also gotten a shuttle from someone here at WB, so once you have an itinerary you can put up a post asking about shuttles in the area where you are planning to hike.

As for the best time to hike the AT...anytime. I hike the SE (Southeast) year round, and I would presume the further North you go the more and more sketchy it would get as far as snow…but you are from MN so you know what’s up with snow. You specifically mentioned NC, and I would say if you are planning to do a section there that late April to late June is probably about the best time as far as getting more mild weather. As for the heat/humidity down here (again since you mentioned NC) picture one of the short hot spells you get up there in MN (I've lived there and in WI at various points in my life) where it gets into the mid 90s with some moderate humidity. That's normally how it is here from maybe late June to September. Of course the mountains are usually a little cooler depending on the elevation you are at. Bugs down here aren't as bad as what you are probably used to (with the state bird being the mosquito and all), but they can still be annoying. You got occasional mosquitos, black flies, deer flies, no-see-ums, chiggers, and my all-time favorite the tick. You'll want to definitely check yourself regularly for ticks as Lymes Disease is fairly prevalent down here...especially in VA and North of there.

Welcome, and hope all that helps some.

drgreenthumb
11-03-2011, 17:26
From what I have gathered on my research is that it would be about $100 a person each way on a bus. It is roughly 20 hours, but we can sleep on the bus, the advantage is that we will arrive in the wee hours of the morning, which will allow us to kick off the hike the day we get there. If we fly it will be like you said about $400, and it will end up taking just as long before we actually get to the trail. We will have to set up a shuttle and all that after flying, and by the time we actually get to the trail it will be about the same time anyway. Thank you for your advise though, i am still looking at all the options. My other thought was to take a bus to where we were originally going to end our hike, and hike form highway 64 in NC to Springer, but we will see.