PDA

View Full Version : Just hit the border!

Chance09
10-28-2011, 18:50
Just finished up my sobo CDT thru hike. It's been a good run, three trails in three years. Pretty happy this one is done with. It's been intense to say the least. I'll be putting together a video sometime over the next few months and will let everyone know when it's done.

If you want to check out my journal and the pics i've posted so far you can see them on my site at www.ChanceWalksALot.com

:bananaCheers and Happy Trails!:banana

4eyedbuzzard
10-28-2011, 22:40
Congrats on your accomplishment.

STINGER1
10-29-2011, 02:28
Grats on the triple crown! Was such an awesome year to hike the cdt.

Big Dawg
10-29-2011, 02:29
Awesome bro!!

Maddog
10-29-2011, 05:27
Congratulations on the Triple Crown! :)

nitewalker
10-29-2011, 07:44
chalk up another accomplishment. great job and congrats on the triple crown...

modiyooch
10-29-2011, 08:47
Congrats!! If you were to return to one of these trails in it's entirety again, which one would it be??

Spirit Walker
10-29-2011, 13:05
Congratulations! Intense is a good word to describe that trail. But oh so beautiful!

Chance09
10-29-2011, 14:29
PCT hands down. Let me regain a little sense of adventure after the CDT this year. It'll be a few years before I'm ready to put my life on the line on a daily basis again.

mwhoyle
10-29-2011, 17:41
PCT hands down. Let me regain a little sense of adventure after the CDT this year. It'll be a few years before I'm ready to put my life on the line on a daily basis again.

Wow, was the CDT that bad, Chance? I'd love to try it myself at some point (perhaps not thru, but in sections)...

Congrats on your accomplishments, too.

Chance09
10-30-2011, 11:08
It was pretty gnarly at the start and we just barely missed the end of the decent weather window. I'm pretty sure that there was only four of us to do the highline trail this year and we were out there way before the rangers were out. For all intents and purposes we were full on mountaineering with just lightweight hiking gear which looking back on doesn't seem very intelligent. Multiple times a day during the first few weeks a slip would have likely been the death of me. Towards the end of CO and into NM we were rolling the dice with the weather. I saw some pics of a pass I'd been through 3 days before and the snow was waist deep. There was none when I went through. All in all it was just pretty crazy, but that's what I signed up for by hiking in a high snow year.

BrianLe
11-14-2011, 12:51
Lucky Joe and I finished SOBO on Nov 11th, and I'll echo all of Chance's comments --- a heck of a year, I think. At first when I heard people saying "Our year is tougher than most", I discounted it, thinking it likely that folks tell themselves that every year (it's a hard trail period). But the guy who picked us up at the border (Cuddles, PCT '08) is into statistics and had been tracking the CDT; he said he really did think this was a particularly tough year. Between high stream crossings at the start and me personally just barely (mostly) beating the worst of the snow out of CO, it's hard to disagree with that.

For anyone so into this that a literally daily trail journal is interesting (I hiked with a folding keyboard, made it easier to type up a fairly lengthy journal entry per day), my journal is at www.postholer.com/brianle (http://www.postholer.com/brianle)

sbhikes
11-14-2011, 13:21
Wow, awsome! Congratulations to all of you. I can't wait to spend some time savoring the pictures and journals.