PDA

View Full Version : Trail Magic of another kind

ATsawyer
10-28-2011, 19:53
While building new stone steps on my AT section in Shenandoah today, not one but TWO hikers stopped to help me with the trail work. I've been an AT overseer since 1996 and this is the first time somebody stopped to lend a hand. I was at first speechless, then quite thankful. Makes up for the time I was chainsawing a tree blocking the trail and a hiker came up behind me and hurdled the deadfall. He seemed to be in a hurry........

Roland
10-28-2011, 20:00
Appreciation is volunteers' fuel. Glad you got a tankful, today.

Thanks for your ongoing service.

Creepwood
10-28-2011, 21:20
Not to excuse anyone's behavior but some hikers out there are on a very strict food budget. Some people don't have the time to stop and chop at some brush for a couple hours because they need to hit the post office before it closes or they need to get to the next shelter etc etc. I hope no volunteer mistakes that as unappreciative because that certainly is not the case. Most hikers are smart enough to realize that without volunteers and trail crews long distance hiking might not be possible.

Doc Mike
10-28-2011, 21:33
Not to excuse anyone's behavior but some hikers out there are on a very strict food budget. Some people don't have the time to stop and chop at some brush for a couple hours because they need to hit the post office before it closes or they need to get to the next shelter etc etc. I hope no volunteer mistakes that as unappreciative because that certainly is not the case. Most hikers are smart enough to realize that without volunteers and trail crews long distance hiking might not be possible.

seriously!!!
A food budget!!!
Most people are very unappreciative of others, they have a "I deserve this" attitude. We are rapidly becoming an entittlement society.

I'm Glad they stopped and helped. I'm sure you would agree that even without helping a simple thank you goes a long way.

Blissful
10-28-2011, 21:50
Thanks for all your hard work! Where were you building steps?

ATsawyer
10-28-2011, 22:26
No offense taken by me. Most distance hikers are looking for those big miles when they hit Shenandoah. The two helpers were day hikers on their way to Mary's Rock overlook. The section from Thornton Gap to the overlook is nothing but UP and the trail suffers from all that slope. It's also known as "Myron's Trail", as Myron Avery maintained that section in the early days of the AT. I'm just the latest pair of boots to oversee it.

Big Dawg
10-29-2011, 02:33
Thanks for what you do ATsawywer!

Mike2012
11-14-2011, 14:08
If you have a Griphoist set up next spring you can bet I will stop for some fun. I might even tote a pulaski for drainages if you have a northbound stash spot off the trail.

bannerstone
11-14-2011, 16:35
Thanks ATsawyer, I was really surprised that you've been maintaining so long and never to have been helped out by a hiker before. I suppose people assume if they would get hurt that the maintainer might be held responsible in some way but it sure feels like a stretch. I mean really, what's to keep any of us from being a maintainer on any given day, there's always trash to be picked up or brush to be tossed off the trail.

May I just say thank you for what you do for the trail until I can return the favor in a more substantial way someday.

David