PDA

View Full Version : Wool & Synthetic

Jason762
10-29-2011, 01:32
I have some synthetic shirts that reek no matter how I wash it (even borax 20 mule team + tide won't get rid of the smell!). So I was wondering, if I had a wool baselayer, then a synthetic over it; does the wool help prevent odors from "reaching" the synthetic overlayer?

So for example, an Icebreaker Oasis Crewe as a baselayer and a capilene 1 shirt or a variation of the Patagonia R1 zip-up.

Opinions?

Nutbrown
10-29-2011, 09:38
Are the synthetice a bit old? The newer synthetice (w/in a year or so) supposedly have more odor blocking capabilities. Otherwise, REI has a special wash for just that. I guess it breaks down the enzymes that the synthetics hold in... not really clear, but that is what I was told.

As for your question... I think once you have stinky synthetics, they will always be stinky no matter what you wear under them. I just got a new lightweight capaline long sleeve for a base layer. Didn't have wool. By the end of the week, I was a stinky mess, but the capilene smells 'normal'

Wise Old Owl
10-29-2011, 11:04
Jason762 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?36682-Jason762) Synthetics do not hold smells imagine just for a moment - Tupperware or Glad holding food smells. The difference here is 60-70's polyester suit is back and the difference is that poly can be spun finer than human hair today.

So what would be a good solution? My wife says there are common washing products that have Fabreeze in them.
My idea is that you go to Walmart, or possibly Kmart and go to the sporting goods area - Scent a way wash and body scent eliminator

click here! (http://www.hunterspec.com/updateable/update_display.cfm?pageID=402&categoryID=32)

OBXWaMi
10-29-2011, 11:11
Scent-Away. Had no idea this existed. Writing this down in my notebook! Thanks, Wise one!

Tinker
10-29-2011, 14:43
I'm just throwing this out as a thought. There are several cleaners for pet odors on the market available at pet supply stores. They can get just about any smell (cat urine!) out of furniture, carpets, etc. It might be a good thing to check some of those out.
Here's what I was thinking of:

http://www.natures-miracle.com/natures-miracle-stain-and-odor-remover.html

Papa D
10-29-2011, 15:30
I use something called sports suds for my stinky clothes : www.sportsuds.com - I recommend hand washing (especially wool). I do it for water conservation reasons (and line dry when its warm) - makes your laundry feel great - if it's cold, snowy or rainy I use the electric dryer.

Don Newcomb
10-29-2011, 19:46
Synthetics do not hold smells imagine just for a moment - Tupperware or Glad holding food smells. I had a Tupperware container I had to run through the dishwasher 6 times to remove the odor of old shrimp stock. I guess some smells stick better than others.

Don Newcomb
10-29-2011, 19:49
I'm just throwing this out as a thought. There are several cleaners for pet odors on the market available at pet supply stores. I was thinking the same thing. Resolve is the brand we've used on our carpets. I think you can get it at almost any grocery.

Tinker
10-29-2011, 22:46
I had a Tupperware container I had to run through the dishwasher 6 times to remove the odor of old shrimp stock. I guess some smells stick better than others.

Body oils bond to threads made with petroleum derived fibers (oil-oil). That's why it's so tough to get the odors out of synthetic garments.

Jason762
10-30-2011, 23:45
Thanks for all the tips about getting the smell out. And yes, I've had Glad/Tupperware retain smells. My mom who used to sell Tupperware in the 80's would suggest putting newspaper in the bowls to get rid of the smells.

My capilene was purchased in 2010 so it's sorta new. And yes it smells. Not so bad after a fresh wash, and pretty bad after an easy 5 mile hike or a day in the desert with no strenuous activity (as I found out yesterday).

But nonetheless, my original question still pertains: Does wool act as an odor blocker and prevent synthetic over-layers from stinking?

Nutbrown
10-31-2011, 13:58
no, I'd think wool would not act as a blocker.

mkrenits
10-31-2011, 16:59
I'm not entirely sure this trick works for synthetic stuff, but could be worth a shot. What I do is wash my smelly clothes with some Vinegar first and then wash them with normal detergent. I usually use about a cup of vinegar for a normal wash. It's def a bit odd I know, and I'm not really sure how it works, but it does wonders for my stuff :)

ironman y2k
11-01-2011, 21:55
...Jason762....    Icebreaker claims their Merino wool does not "stink" even after many miles.  I've used them hiking and running and I have to say so far their claim is pretty accurate with a cold water rinse and air dry, but I haven't used them long enough to say they are 100% accurate.  However, I have used Eastern Mountain Sport "Techwic" synthetic shirts ( ems.com ) for a number of years running.  I have 4 shirts that have at least 500 miles on each and after a run I rinse in cold water and air dry and they smell perfectly fine.  I do throw them into the wash (cold water) about once every 2 weeks and maybe this helps keep them in good order.  Techwic comes in varying weights and sleeve lenghts as well as a mock turtle neck with or without zippers.  I've worn them on the trail as well and highly recommend them.  I'll be using both Icebreaker and Techwic on my hike in 2012.

Tuxedo
11-02-2011, 03:23
I would agree with the new wool and its smell managing powers. Unless its cold and layering is needed no need to under shirt most synthetic shirts. btw I love going to golf shops this time of year and buying the clearance rack of great dry-tech synthetic shirts and shorts/pants that when stinky just get rid of most times under $6 so not much loss. Most of the time the stickys and pricklys have damaged/worn them anyway, cost difference between cheap golf wear close out and excellent quality wool makes for the justification of trash can hikerware.

nitewalker
11-02-2011, 08:03
i have no problem with stinky synthetic clothing except synthetic socks. i use my socks at nite as bear deterent. they have worked everytime so far. the bear would have to be nuts too come near those socks....i usually wash all my hiking gear together on the warm cycle with a very small amount of gentle detergent and then hang dry everything.i think drying synthetic clothing only bakes in the smells...

Stats 2012
11-02-2011, 22:36
I am so confused by the love affair with synthetics. I am a techie and have nothing against plastic, but just buy a couple of Smartwool micro weight shirts for warm weather and mid weight tops and bottoms for cold. I've found them to offer superior insulating properties, comfort, and odor control. (Did a week on the AT this past august in NJ. Never washed my Smartwool T - the only shirt I wore - and it never reeked. Even the wife and kids couldn't tell. Oh, and when I do wash it I never have to dry it. Just put it on right out of the washer and I've never felt chilled. Hard to improve on Mother Nature.

Jason762
11-03-2011, 00:51
I am so confused by the love affair with synthetics. I am a techie and have nothing against plastic, but just buy a couple of Smartwool micro weight shirts for warm weather and mid weight tops and bottoms for cold. I've found them to offer superior insulating properties, comfort, and odor control. (Did a week on the AT this past august in NJ. Never washed my Smartwool T - the only shirt I wore - and it never reeked. Even the wife and kids couldn't tell. Oh, and when I do wash it I never have to dry it. Just put it on right out of the washer and I've never felt chilled. Hard to improve on Mother Nature.

If you're in a temperate rain forest when outside all the time, wool sucks.

I worked 3 months on Admiralty Island near Juneau Alaska. My crew and I lived in tents and worked rain-and-shine. Though it was more rain than anything. I had a wool button down that was always damp. My first trip back to civilization, I bought some synthetic clothes. Synthetic longjohns under rain-bibs, and capilene 1 longsleeve shirt under my rain jacket was my normal attire.

But in a drier climate, wool is great.

Wise Old Owl
11-03-2011, 20:00
I'm not entirely sure this trick works for synthetic stuff, but could be worth a shot. What I do is wash my smelly clothes with some Vinegar first and then wash them with normal detergent. I usually use about a cup of vinegar for a normal wash. It's def a bit odd I know, and I'm not really sure how it works, but it does wonders for my stuff :)

Apple Cider Vinegar hides other smells as a clear cover... substitute - DAWN dishwashing liquid - to remove body smells - its liquid sufactant - that cuts body oil.. and all you need is a small qty. I am not sure why Vinegar works - I will have to learn more.... I still recommend - known hunter washes.

...Jason762....    Icebreaker claims their Merino wool does not "stink" even after many miles.  I've used them hiking and running and I have to say so far their claim is pretty accurate with a cold water rinse and air dry, but I haven't used them long enough to say they are 100% accurate.  However, I have used Eastern Mountain Sport "Techwic" synthetic shirts ( ems.com ) for a number of years running.  I have 4 shirts that have at least 500 miles on each and after a run I rinse in cold water and air dry and they smell perfectly fine.  I do throw them into the wash (cold water) about once every 2 weeks and maybe this helps keep them in good order.  Techwic comes in varying weights and sleeve lenghts as well as a mock turtle neck with or without zippers.  I've worn them on the trail as well and highly recommend them.  I'll be using both Icebreaker and Techwic on my hike in 2012.

Well you cannot beat Techwic with a stick I wear it... and it works....

I would agree with the new wool and its smell managing powers. Unless its cold and layering is needed no need to under shirt most synthetic shirts. btw I love going to golf shops this time of year and buying the clearance rack of great dry-tech synthetic shirts and shorts/pants that when stinky just get rid of most times under $6 so not much loss. Most of the time the stickys and pricklys have damaged/worn them anyway, cost difference between cheap golf wear close out and excellent quality wool makes for the justification of trash can hikerware.

Ok if I get this right a layer of Teckwic is smooth and a layer of Micro wool ( near Merino ) (don't buy pure merino) and we can agree on the above post.. good info on picking frog tog on sale.

i have no problem with stinky synthetic clothing except synthetic socks. i use my socks at nite as bear deterent. they have worked everytime so far. the bear would have to be nuts too come near those socks....i usually wash all my hiking gear together on the warm cycle with a very small amount of gentle detergent and then hang dry everything.i think drying synthetic clothing only bakes in the smells...

If you're in a temperate rain forest when outside all the time, wool sucks.

I worked 3 months on Admiralty Island near Juneau Alaska. My crew and I lived in tents and worked rain-and-shine. Though it was more rain than anything. I had a wool button down that was always damp. My first trip back to civilization, I bought some synthetic clothes. Synthetic longjohns under rain-bibs, and capilene 1 longsleeve shirt under my rain jacket was my normal attire.

But in a drier climate, wool is great.

Jayson your knowledge is awesome - We are not arguing - can you adjust that for the AT? The long johns are tricky people make the common mistake of buying cheap and then discover - cotton blends which are awe-full. Capilene is great - its just another name for micro polyester. And thats on target. "I had a wool button down that was always damp." Yep - but it still keeps you warm and hold heat regardless of how wet you are.... think sheep. BBaaaaaa..

You are awesome....

Smooth & Wasabi
11-04-2011, 10:43
To the original question. Though my experience is with two layers of synthetic and not 1 wool I think it may pertain. I am thinking specifically of my first Marmot Dri-clime windshirt. This saw daily use for 4 1/2 months of long distance backpacking and probably an average 1.5 days a week use for 10 years of day hikes, short backpacks, and tele-skiing. If you are not familiar with this piece it is a windshirt with an interior layer of Marmots wicking baselayer. 99.5% of the time I used this with a synthetic layer underneath and only very occasionally was it directly next to skin . Granted for the non-long distance backpacking uses the baselayer underneath was laundered though often had a long term funk. The dri-clime never picked up any permanent funk. With this anectdotal experience I would think that especially with a wool baselayer you would have a good chance of preventing or at least severely limiting your funk transmission to a secondary sythetic layer. I would think that the oils folks talked about earlier would linger mainly in the wool layer. Of course this would assume somewhat frequent laundering of both layers especially the base layers even if it is done in the field.