PDA

View Full Version : Earn a Man Patch for hiking the AT

dustinhawes
10-29-2011, 17:37
I just saw a really cool website, www.manpatch.org (http://www.manpatch.org), where they have really cool patches for accomplishing feats like the AT, John Muir Trail, PCT, etc. A cool patch to get after you finish the big hike!

4eyedbuzzard
10-29-2011, 17:49
I just saw a really cool website, www.manpatch.org (http://www.manpatch.org), where they have really cool patches for accomplishing feats like the AT, John Muir Trail, PCT, etc. A cool patch to get after you finish the big hike!
Just saw it, huh? Like when you were designing it? It's better form to tell people that you are the proprietor rather than referring to yourself as "they".

FAIL

dustinhawes
10-29-2011, 18:37
I agree with you, I am the proprietor. I'm sorry for misrepresenting myself. I think Man Patch is a great idea, but I don't think anyone will ever see the site.

I created it as a way to inspire people to get outdoors and see the world. More specifically, to get men outdoors. Man Patch came about because of the high obesity rates in the U.S., low National Park attendance numbers, and a decline in hunting permits being purchased (less money for game wardens leading to more illegally taken game). I believe that when men and especially fathers, are inspired to get outdoors, the family follows. If we can reach that, we have accomplished our goal.

Sorry for the misrepresentation. It won't happen again.

Dustin Hawes

modiyooch
10-29-2011, 18:40
why just a "man" patch!

dustinhawes
10-29-2011, 18:49
Great question! My wife and I are working on a patch for women. The problem is that "Woman Patch" doesn't have the right sound to it. It sounds like something pharmaceutical. Any ideas?

Enic
10-29-2011, 18:52
As a Boyscout, I love patches... The "Man Patch"es seem a little lacking to me in design, though. I think the visual impact of a patch should be more impressive if charging $15. We'll see if it takes off, I guess.

Pioneer Spirit
10-29-2011, 18:54
You forgot the buckeye trail. At 1444 miles its nothing to sneeze at.

hikerboy57
10-29-2011, 19:04
i think you should send one to the record breaking attempt guy in monson, so he can get his patch before he hits the whites.

kayak karl
10-29-2011, 19:18
why the gender?????? consider an accomplishment or adventure type patch thing? i like patches for where we go. got them sewn on my dogs pack.

sloger
10-29-2011, 19:48
Was ready to purchase an AT patch as a Christmas gift for thru-hiker friend but will pass because the patch has the company name/logo on it. Sloger

4eyedbuzzard
10-29-2011, 19:51
Hiking patches were pretty popular back years ago. People used to sew them all over the back flap of their external frame packs. I remember having AT, AMC, and a bunch or patches from places in the Whites in NH. Seems they waned in popularity as internal frames took over, but that may be more coincidence. An AT patch is problematic from a selling standpoint, as the ATC patch is very well established and recognized.

Blissful
10-29-2011, 20:00
Was ready to purchase an AT patch as a Christmas gift for thru-hiker friend but will pass because the patch has the company name/logo on it. Sloger

It looks like the logo is to prevent people from lifting the design off the website. Some of it covers the design.
But I may be wrong

Tipi Walter
10-29-2011, 20:01
I need a "90 Pound Club" patch for my backpack weights, but I only do around four miles a day with this load. Do you have a Girlie-Man Patch? I could wear both at the same time.

Captain Blue
10-29-2011, 20:02
I just saw a really cool website, www.manpatch.org, where they have really cool patches for accomplishing feats like the AT, John Muir Trail, PCT, etc.

Looks like you more than just saw the web site. It looks like you run the business. How about some honest disclosure?

Great idea. But the "Man" thing does not fly too well down here in the Lower 48.

WingedMonkey
10-29-2011, 20:06

Buy from the Appalachian Trail Conservatory, they have patches, clothes and any thing you need with the AT logo.

https://www.atctrailstore.org/

GuyMonday
10-29-2011, 20:18
There should be a vending machine at the top of Katahdin/Springer that sell tokens/patches/etc that can only be bought there.

Cookerhiker
10-29-2011, 20:21
I like that you're seeking to encourage people to get outdoors and experience the attendant challenges through the different venues - hiking, cycling, et. al.

Why does it have to be man-centric? Why are women relegated to a separate patch, unnamed and undesigned as of yet? Your site says when men, especially fathers, get outdoors, the family follows. Growing up, my mother was the hiker - she was active in the Green Mountain Club and took me on organized hikes as soon as I was old enough. It was my mother who first showed me the Appalachian Trail.

doritotex
10-29-2011, 20:34
Buy from the Appalachian Trail Conservatory, they have patches, clothes and any thing you need with the AT logo.

https://www.atctrailstore.org/YES! I agree! The official patches from the ATC, I have a funky hat that I sew different patches on. The different places and states that I have completed, a work in progress! Maybe ya'll are right, I was a girl scout and it is kinda like earning "badges". Ha! But, the man badge....really, will it make a man feel more manly?? Maybe some men need it to stroke their ego, but when I complete the AT will it make me man enough to win the man badge??

Pedaling Fool
10-29-2011, 20:48
The problem is that "Woman Patch" doesn't have the right sound to it. It sounds like something pharmaceutical. Any ideas?Isn't it obvious? Bitch Patch

Tinker
10-29-2011, 21:58
Isn't it obvious? Bitch Patch

That ain't (now, where'd we get that word from - a contraction of two words - the last one being not, but what, pray tell, is the first??) proper!

............Oh, back to the topic - You beat me to it.

I was also thinking "Alpha Bi***" or "Alpha Broad", but I might be labeled a sexist (already have been ;), falsely :rolleyes:). Man patch, Woman patch, Whatever patch.

All I can say that if it's a "Man patch" I know where it should go :p).

Donde
10-29-2011, 22:06
That's quite possibly the stupidest ****ing thing I've ever seen.

Tinker
10-29-2011, 22:12
Agreed. Only to be worn to poke fun at the macho crowd. :D

In New Hampshire you can get a bumper sticker that says "This car climbed Mt. Washington".

I found out that they also sold a t-shirt at the Adams building on the summit that said, "This body climbed Mt. Washington." I promptly bought one on my next hike to the summit and wore it mostly to mock the motorheads.

Tinker
10-29-2011, 22:42
Speaking of manliness and machismo:

Here's a partnership you're not likely to see - Extenze and Microsoft :D

Blissful
10-29-2011, 22:52
I found out that they also sold a t-shirt at the Adams building on the summit that said, "This body climbed Mt. Washington." I promptly bought one on my next hike to the summit and wore it mostly to mock the motorheads.

We have those t-shirts. Love them. :)

Blissful
10-29-2011, 22:53
Oh goodie, a lively thread at last

Blissful
10-29-2011, 22:55
Growing up, my mother was the hiker - she was active in the Green Mountain Club and took me on organized hikes as soon as I was old enough. It was my mother who first showed me the Appalachian Trail.

My mom loved to hike also. She always planned our hikes growing up and we all followed. Now she is in a wheelchair d/t Parkinsons -
I hike for her.

Tinker
10-29-2011, 23:20
Woman patch "Macha Mama" .............catchy?

Actually, that would be "Mama Macha"..........lo siento.

modiyooch
10-30-2011, 08:54
Hiking patches were pretty popular back years ago. People used to sew them all over the back flap of their external frame packs.too much weight

hikerboy57
10-30-2011, 10:33
too much weightNow if he comes up with a holographic patch, it might have more appeal to the UL crowd.

Theosus
10-30-2011, 11:10
There should be a vending machine at the top of Katahdin/Springer that sell tokens/patches/etc that can only be bought there. You'd just have someone day hike there and back, buy all the patches and re sell them at a markup on eBay or something.I don't need a man patch. I'm 39 and married. I don't have to try to be cool or impress anyone any more. I do what I like because I like it. It feels great.

Pedaling Fool
10-30-2011, 12:48
That ain't (now, where'd we get that word from - a contraction of two words - the last one being not, but what, pray tell, is the first??) proper!

Yeah, it may not be grammatically correct, but it sounds good, that's all that matters to me:) BTW Tinker, which is correct? This is an historic event or This is a historic event.

Now back to the current discussion of what to call a Tramp Stamp

4eyedbuzzard
10-30-2011, 15:49
Now back to the current discussion of what to call a Tramp StampPOT - Acronym used as this is a PG rated site.

Rocket Jones
10-30-2011, 16:04
In 20 years the Tramp Stamp will be known as the Granny Stamp. :D

4eyedbuzzard
10-30-2011, 16:30
In 20 years the Tramp Stamp will be known as the Granny Stamp. :DUsually 20 years later they look more like:

T........R​........A​........M​........P​........^ ​........S​........T​........A​........M​.... ....P

paistes5
10-30-2011, 18:15
I like patches but I wouldn't buy one just based off the misrepresentation in the first post.

max patch
10-30-2011, 18:58
I would never buy an AT patch from anyone other than the ATC.

(Here comes constructive criticism for the OP.) That aside, if I felt the need to buy a patch I wouldn't buy any of these because the "Man Patch corporate logo" detracts from the patch in addition to being unwelcomed advertising that just isn't needed. In my opinion.

(And a legal question which I have no idea what the answer is) Can you legally sell a patch with the term Appalachian Trail on it? Would seem to me that the ATC would have that trademarked or whatever.

4eyedbuzzard
10-30-2011, 20:55

(Here comes constructive criticism for the OP.) That aside, if I felt the need to buy a patch I wouldn't buy any of these because the "Man Patch corporate logo" detracts from the patch in addition to being unwelcomed advertising that just isn't needed. In my opinion.

(And a legal question which I have no idea what the answer is) Can you legally sell a patch with the term Appalachian Trail on it? Would seem to me that the ATC would have that trademarked or whatever.
Yeah, I'm pretty positive you can use it. Just like you can use any other name, like "This car climbed Mt. Washington" or "Statue of Liberty", etc. Actually, the name Appalachian Trail is used by at least one company that makes knives and other similar gear. Appalachian Trail® is a registered trademark used for Hunting Knives, Camping Knives, Fishing Knives, Pocket Knives and owned by Great Neck Saw Manufacturers, Inc.. http://construction.zibb.com/trademark/appalachian+trail/30121486

I don't believe the name itself can be copyrighted or registered though, only the logo, design, and the way the name is used in the design and in the marketplace. Trademark is a really complicated messy subject.

Tinker
10-30-2011, 21:51
Yeah, it may not be grammatically correct, but it sounds good, that's all that matters to me:) BTW Tinker, which is correct? This is an historic event or This is a historic event.

Now back to the current discussion of what to call a Tramp Stamp

That's a good question. Technically, an historic event is correct. Even though there is no vowel beginning the word "historic", I believe that the English did not always (maybe not at all in archaic English), pronounce the h in the word "historic", so it would sound like "istoric", the h being silent (theoretically). So that early "rule", or exception to it, still stands. One of my best friends, who was born and raised in Providence, RI by parents who were both of Irish heritage does not pronounce the h at the beginning of some words, but he does others.
For instance:
He does pronounce the h in the word hurricane.
He does not pronounce the h in the word huge.
We have a mutual friend whose name is Hugh.
I call him Hugh, pronouncing the H.
He, the way it sounds, calls him "You".
So, in a crowd, when he says, "Hey, Hugh!", it soundsl like "Hey, you", and multiple heads turn. :)

Tinker
10-30-2011, 21:56
Usually 20 years later they look more like:

T........R​........A​........M​........P​........^ ​........S​........T​........A​........M​.... ....P

We're talking about patches that would be sewn onto clothing or gear, but I know where you're coming from.

I'm not in favor of excessive ink on the human body and have been known to caution young women that the cute little butterfly that they have tatooed onto their hip may become a pteroacty later in life! ;)

glaux
10-30-2011, 22:09
"Man Patch" sounds like a description of the way someone has stylized their body hair.

You know-- I don't shave, or trim it all off, but instead I prefer to maintain a man patch.

Mags
10-30-2011, 22:38
Personally, I like the arbitrary star system. :) What kind of patch do I get for doing a day hike and drinking beer back in camp? That's only worth half a star I imagine.... ;)

Tinker
10-30-2011, 23:49

I have proof that the Appalachian Trail logo so familiar to hikers is not trademarked (Not by the ATC, at least). I see this sign on the side of I-95 on the way home from maintaining my section of the NST in RI:
http://www.docstoc.com/docs/30315354/EXTROL-AX-SERIES-Pressurized-Exp

4eyedbuzzard
10-31-2011, 00:02
Personally, I like the arbitrary star system. :) What kind of patch do I get for doing a day hike and drinking beer back in camp? That's only worth half a star I imagine.... ;)Yeah, all those short day hikes and knocking back a few cold ones is only worth 1/2 a star at best. But, as the Father Guido Sarducci noted on a different pass-time, "...it doesn't seem like much - but it adds up".

Cookerhiker
10-31-2011, 08:45
Personally, I like the arbitrary star system. :) What kind of patch do I get for doing a day hike and drinking beer back in camp? That's only worth half a star I imagine.... ;)

Yeah, all those short day hikes and knocking back a few cold ones is only worth 1/2 a star at best. But, as the Father Guido Sarducci noted on a different pass-time, "...it doesn't seem like much - but it adds up".

And then there's all those folks who spend a lot of time on trails doing nothing but trail maintenance - where's their patch? From their local clubs of course.

Cookerhiker
10-31-2011, 08:48
...(And a legal question which I have no idea what the answer is) Can you legally sell a patch with the term Appalachian Trail on it? Would seem to me that the ATC would have that trademarked or whatever.

I don't think the term "Appalachian Trail" is trademarked or copyrighted because you see it everywhere. Look at all the AT books out there; as far as I know, the authors didn't get permission to use the term.

Now the logo.... that's something else.

Old Hiker
10-31-2011, 09:21
Isn't it obvious? Bitch Patch

Left Hand of the Jhereg? What do THEY have to do with this?

flemdawg1
10-31-2011, 13:05
"Real" Men don't need a stinkin' patch (or a card) to confirm their manliness. You either have it or you don't.

hikerboy57
10-31-2011, 13:08
is there a max patch patch?

fireneck
10-31-2011, 17:19
Oh... more trophy hunting!