PDA

View Full Version : My 2012 AT hike.

tomman
10-30-2011, 01:03
It looks like my heart is messed up again and I am not sure that I will be able to hike in the mountains. I am keeping my fingers cross and in fact praying that I will be able to do it. I know that I will not be in as good shape as I could have been. I hope that god will help get in to good enough shape to make, at least for a distance if not all the way.

I am hoping that I see all of you out on the trail.

Cherokee Tom

SawnieRobertson
10-30-2011, 17:03
Hi, TomMan. I am sad to hear that things are not going as well as you hoped with your cardiac situation. Are you giving yourself fully to the effort of healing, or are you holding back on some little thing? I usually do that, and it does not pay. We want you out there with the rest of us who have met the 3/4 mark. But, all that aside, I have found that all it takes is walking 20 or so paces into the forest, seeing a white blaze, and listening quietly to make me feel that I am really out there on the AT (not just 20 or so paces on the pathway). Good luck with your healing project, and we will see you out there.--Kinnickinic

4eyedbuzzard
10-30-2011, 17:09
Tomman,
Best wishes on recovering from whatever is going on with your ticker. Listen to the docs and do the best you can in therapy/recovery. And if you can't hike the mountains, hike the flats, or hike whatever you can. It's all good.

Switchback2012
10-31-2011, 21:34
Best wishes for you Cherokee Tom. I agree - listen to your doctors - do what you can. I hope to see you out there but, if you can't make it this year - don't push yourself and make it worse - take your time and do it when it is right for you.

ekeverette
11-01-2011, 07:57
sorry tom.. hang in there man.. we are you friends and hiking famliy.

Old Hiker
11-06-2011, 22:01
Healing prayers are being said - have faith. Do what you can as you can. Good luck and God bless.

tomman
11-07-2011, 04:05
Thanks everyone and I need your prayers to help me. I have not given up on going out in March of 2012. I will work as hard as I can , as soon as the doctor gives me the OK. I plan to do a lot of walking and working out at the gym on weights and the treadmill. I will also use the stair climber. I can not use most of the places around here with stairs because they are afraid of being sued.

My doctor did say he is going to place a defibrillator in my heart so I will have less problem on the trail and that my heart should not give me any problems. I think that is very good of him to do that. As it stands right not I can start walking every day and soon start working out at the gym.

Thanks again to every one.

Tom

Amanita
11-07-2011, 09:55
Don't know if it would help, but I have heard of heart rate monitors being used by heart patients to keep them from over doing it when exercising. There are models than can be set to alarm when your heart rate gets too high. And you could bring it on the trail with you as well.

tomman
11-17-2011, 04:59
My doctor has installed a Defibrillator that should keep my heart beating as it should. I sure hope that it works because as of now I plan to give it a try in 2012. I plan to leave Springer around thee 13th or 14th of March

I hope to see many of you out on the trail. I will be hiking very slow so say hi as you fly by me.

Cherokee Tom