PDA

View Full Version : Hikers Trance (part 2)

ncmtns
03-01-2005, 19:29
You all got me thinking. Have any of you experienced starting a day off normally, getting in the groove and losing sense of time. Then 'Poof" you are suddenly at your destination? Time and space is suddenly a thing of the past and you cant even remember the events from point A to point B...

steve hiker
03-01-2005, 20:28
You all got me thinking. Have any of you experienced starting a day off normally, getting in the groove and losing sense of time. Then 'Poof" you are suddenly at your destination? Time and space is suddenly a thing of the past and you cant even remember the events from point A to point B...
That means you got abducted by aliens. :eek:

chris
03-01-2005, 20:29
Well, I was coming home a few weeks ago from Mount Rainier after a hike in the snow and realized that I didn't know where I lived; I was unsure which direction to point my car.

On the other hand, I can still remember, exactly, a certain log in central California and the feeling (not the warmth, but the textural feel) of the sunshine on my cheeks as I sat and rested near the end of a particularly long day.

I've never had a, "poof, I'm there" moment and I hope I never do. Rather, I would view such an event as a tragedy.

Tractor
03-01-2005, 20:56
uh, yes but hey, ya don't see the rattlesnakes that way, ya just hear em'. I get stereo sometimes: one side is the trail, one side is the groove, next thing i know I'm where i thought i needed to be.....and all is good.

TDale
03-01-2005, 21:20
Yeah, I hate it when that happens. I feel like I should retrace my steps to see what I missed.

Tha Wookie
03-02-2005, 00:01
read FLOW by Milay Ch.... (can't spell it). Talks all about the time loss phenom. My grad profressor did research with the guy -very great thinker.

Basically it says that it happens when high skill is engaged with high challenge.

Like Jordan goin' unconscious and scoring 50. it helped when he was sick.

I'm not suprised at all that Chris has these experiences. Judging from his posts, he seems to be able to "let go" of his false self and get into the real. Good for you, Chris.

Tap into the ambient presence around you. Letting go and listening is the key.

Tha Wookie
03-02-2005, 00:03
I want to add that we are ALL capable of letting go of our false selves to get into the real, the flow, alpha, prayer, zen meditation, whatever you want to call it.

Bad Ass Turtle
03-02-2005, 00:07
Ah, Wookie, you're talking about Czikcentmihalyi. That's a pretty close spelling, anyway. Love his stuff on flow.

Nice to see you here, too, by the way.

ed bell
03-02-2005, 00:27
Nice post Wookie, I too am fascinated by the way I feel transformed when out hiking in the woods. I just wish I could get longer trips in more often.:sun

Tha Wookie
03-02-2005, 10:20
Ah, Wookie, you're talking about Czikcentmihalyi. That's a pretty close spelling, anyway. Love his stuff on flow.

Nice to see you here, too, by the way.
Doctor Bad Ass! ;) Don't tell me you spelled that off the top of your head. I was told only one person at UGA could do that, and he was in the psych dept.

:D

MisterSweetie
03-02-2005, 11:29
Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience
by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0060920432/002-3573235-3192033)

amazon link.

Bad Ass Turtle
03-02-2005, 22:01
Yep, off the top of my head. Notice that I spelled it WRONG! :datz Thanks, Mister Sweetie, for posting that link. :o

ncmtns
03-02-2005, 22:12
Just a thought..
I believe this experience happened to 2 or 3 guys recorded in different places in the Bible.