PDA

View Full Version : One Man tent

ping1
10-30-2011, 10:47
Help! I am looking to buy a good, one-man, three-season, backpacking tent. Any advice?

g8trh8tr
10-30-2011, 10:52
If you are looking for a lightweight single wall tent, I highly recommend the Tarptent Moment. Great 1 man tent.

swjohnsey
10-30-2011, 11:17
One of the most common tents you will see on the trail is the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1. There is a reason. It is a sturdy tent, dry, easy to set up, light and relatively cheap.

Kerosene
10-30-2011, 11:32
If you're looking for a one-person tent, then I would guess that you're also interested in saving weight, in which case there's no reason you shouldn't be looking for something that weighs less than 32 ounces (2 pounds) in total.
Take a look at the offerings from the following cottage manufacturers: Six Moon Designs (http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents.html), Henry Shires Tarptent (http://tarptent.com/allproducts.html), Gossamer Gear (http://gossamergear.com/shelters/shelters/the-one.html), and LightHeart Gear (http://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1&zenid=07452b1fe42ef3e4bddcf556a81ca2e3).
I've found that a large Cuben fiber tarp (http://www.zpacks.com/shelter/tarps.shtml) works great outside of bug season; expensive but you'll take another pound out of your carry-weight compared to a silnyl tent. At some point you might also look into a hammock/tarp combo over at Hammock Forums (http://www.hammockforums.net/).

lush242000
10-30-2011, 11:43
It would help if you could clarify a few criteria.
1. freestanding or not?
2. single wall or double wall?

That would help steer you towards a selection of tents available.

Del Q
10-30-2011, 12:22
I agree, Tarptent is 34 ounces, looking at cuben fiber at about 20 oz. Smaller and lighter is better, money is always an issue.

swjohnsey
10-30-2011, 14:52
Fly Creek UL1 is 35 ounces.

clsvideo
10-30-2011, 15:02
MSR Hubba. Around 43 ounces. Packs down small. Free standing. Pretty roomy. Lists for $250.

Spools
10-30-2011, 15:02
Lightheart gear gets another vote.

Lyle
10-30-2011, 15:11
Six Moon Design "Wild Oasis": 14 oz, some flying insect protection

Red Beard
10-30-2011, 15:17
I have used Tarptent, Big Agnes, and LightHeart Gear tents. I liked the BA stuff, but it takes slightly longer to setup than the Tarptent gear that I own. That said; Tarptent gear has a pretty big learning curve, in terms of staying dry. When I'm hiking, I just want my gear to perform. LHG tents have a 3500 mm hydrostatic head, and are very easy and quick to setup. If you use hiking poles at all, then I highly recommend an LHG solo. It is the best, and possibly the last tent I will ever own.

q-tip
10-30-2011, 15:53
TT Contrail-24 oz.-single wall-$200-I have 4 thets, this is my tent of choice for the AT

scope
10-30-2011, 16:12
I'll say what someone said to me when I posted something similar about tents about 4 years ago... "why would you want to sleep on the ground?"

Took me about a full year of not pulling the trigger on a tent due to perceived compromises before I finally gave a hammock a shot. No need for other hammockers to chime in, just that its worth mentioning once, and well worth your consideration.

ChinMusic
10-30-2011, 16:39
Only took 13 this time. Who had it?

Cookerhiker
10-30-2011, 16:47
It's funny: on the hammock forums (which I never view), how many tenters barge in and tell everyone they should jettison their hammocks for a tent?:-?

hikerboy57
10-30-2011, 17:01
It's funny: on the hammock forums (which I never view), how many tenters barge in and tell everyone they should jettison their hammocks for a tent?:-?probably the same group that trades in their trail runners for hiking boots. By the way , i had #14, missed by one.

kayak karl
10-30-2011, 17:27
i don't tent, but i have my eye on one of lightheart (http://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1&zenid=07452b1fe42ef3e4bddcf556a81ca2e3)'s tents. i want the 2 man for Kaia and I. i've seen her tents. very well made.

PS i never mentioned Hammocks :D

Bloomer
10-30-2011, 17:31
I like a side door on my tent with lots of room inside and under vestible. Big Agnes Copper Spur 1 .... 3 lbs

Don Newcomb
10-30-2011, 18:02
I'll say what someone said to me when I posted something similar about tents about 4 years ago... "why would you want to sleep on the ground?"
The OP did ask about tents, not alternatives to tents.

Lyle
10-30-2011, 18:56
Just for the record.

This was the original poster's first post. If hangers want to assume that he hasn't considered a hammock, and suggest he look into it, what should it matter to others? He asked for any advice.

If we are to assume, that if a person asks a question, that they have already considered all possible alternatives, then what is the point of the "discussion"? If alternatives aren't suggested, then the discussion becomes, I decided on this, how many agree with me?

ChinMusic
10-30-2011, 19:19
If hangers want to assume that he hasn't considered a hammock, and suggest he look into it, what should it matter to others? He asked for any advice.

Uhhhh

Help! I am looking to buy a good, one-man, three-season, backpacking tent. Any advice?

Pretty specific.

tridavis
10-30-2011, 19:36
Just like anything lightweight and high performance it does not last as long as the heavier stuff. It is lightweight for a reason, i.e. removal of materials. You can say all you want, but coming from a professional bike racing career, where light weight is everything, it breaks and does not last. We had sponsors replacing our equipment monthly with new stuff because the lightweight stuff did not hold up. So whether it is backpacking, bike racing, or any other activity....lightweight will not last over the long haul compared to the more stoutly, heavier equipment. Besides, why does weight really matter anyway?? if you are strong enough, and in good enough shape to carry a 40 lbs pack 20 miles a day, what does it matter??? I bet most people shave down to the minimum because they are not in the best shape for the hike that they could be in.

stars in her eyes
10-30-2011, 20:44
Love my Hubba, insofar as tents are concerned. I like that it's a side-entry kind of deal. Good rain fly, no condensation issues so far. I'm going to be using it on my 2012 thru.

Tinker
10-30-2011, 22:05
http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents/SkyscapeScout.html

If money's a consideration along with weight and design, I would take a serious look at one of these or its more expensive, lighter brothers.

I bought a Lightheart tent a couple of years ago just because I was impressed with the design. I made a couple of suggestions to the owner which were incorporated into later models, so I have an ego investment in the company, if you will. I don't own the original tent anymore, since I hammock in warm weather (actually cold weather now, too), but I highly recommend a look at this one, too.
http://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1

Tinker
10-30-2011, 22:07
Deleted duplicate post

ChinMusic
10-30-2011, 22:45
Here is a pic of my LightHeart Cuben Solo (with awning). It weighs 20oz.

Tinker
10-30-2011, 23:01
Here is a pic of my LightHeart Cuben Solo (with awning). It weighs 20oz.

How about covering some of the likes/dislikes for other readers?
Btw: If you had a twin or look-alike, would he be double chin music? I'm sorry, I can't help myself! ;)

Papa D
10-30-2011, 23:06
I have both a Hubba and a Carbon Reflex - the Carbon Reflex is basically the same tent with a single carbon pole - it tis the bomb but it is not free standing - I 've rigged it with snow as a "deadman" vs stakes and essentially made it free standing - works like a charm - I've had a lot of tarps and even homemade tarps - I just like to be bug free in the summer and have the clean ease of a floor in winter

ChinMusic
10-30-2011, 23:16

I have only used it for one trip, four nights in the Grand Canyon. I am reserving detailed comment for now.

I will say that is has TONS of room and is easy to set up. I had ideal conditions for my trip so the tent was never "tested". Sorry I don't have anything more.......

Tinker
10-30-2011, 23:18
I have only used it for one trip, four nights in the Grand Canyon. I am reserving detailed comment for now.

I will say that is has TONS of room and is easy to set up. I had ideal conditions for my trip so the tent was never "tested". Sorry I don't have anything more.......

That's ok, we can wait. :)

Miami Joe
10-31-2011, 00:47
I have only used it for one trip, four nights in the Grand Canyon. I am reserving detailed comment for now.I will say that is has TONS of room and is easy to set up. I had ideal conditions for my trip so the tent was never "tested". Sorry I don't have anything more.......Let us know, in case we, too, are considering dropping $500 on a tent.

lunatic
10-31-2011, 09:58
I love my Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo. Took me 5 or 6 set ups to really get it right, but after that I could set it up in a couple of minutes and have no problems. Used it on my 2009 thru hike and on about another 1000 miles of hiking since then and it's still in great condition.

Hoop
10-31-2011, 12:39
Re: the LH Solo, it worked as advertised in a late afternoon wild thunderstorm on Tray Mt last summer ('10). Rained for about 90 minutes. No leaks, handled very gusty wind w/ no prob. If you're much over 6' tall, consider the SoLong version.

old geezer
11-01-2011, 08:26
I'm wondering why the ZPacks cuben tent is not mentioned?
It sure looks good to me, but I'm still trying to decided on a solo tent
Thanks

Gaiter
11-01-2011, 10:44
It would help if you could clarify a few criteria.
1. freestanding or not?
2. single wall or double wall?

That would help steer you towards a selection of tents available.
3. floor or no floor?

Took me about a full year of not pulling the trigger on a tent due to perceived compromises before I finally gave a hammock a shot. No need for other hammockers to chime in, just that its worth mentioning once, and well worth your consideration.

Just for the record.

This was the original poster's first post. If hangers want to assume that he hasn't considered a hammock, and suggest he look into it, what should it matter to others? He asked for any advice.

If we are to assume, that if a person asks a question, that they have already considered all possible alternatives, then what is the point of the "discussion"? If alternatives aren't suggested, then the discussion becomes, I decided on this, how many agree with me?

nothing wrong with suggesting alternatives, as scope said he wouldn't have gone that route if someone hadn't done that to him as well...
but i think do think a hammockers should first ask if a person is a back sleeper before suggesting a hammock, hammocks don't work that well for side and stomach sleepers...

Rocketman
11-01-2011, 11:38
Just for the record.

If a person were to mention that they were having some issues with their particular version of Christianity, and someone were to suggest that they try atheism --- Wouldn't that be considered poor taste?

The "hangers" appear to be like evangelical missionaries, constantly bringing up their alternative, when not asked for.

ma

Pound Hound
11-14-2011, 18:22
Here is my two cents on the shelters that I have used.

Hammocks: Pros: most comfortable and don't have to find a level dry spot to put up.
Cons: Best in warmer temps. In colder temps you need the under quilt which adds weight.

Hubba: Pros: sets up fast, self supporting. I like the side entry and find them easier to get in and
out of and to fix meals while still in the tent. Can set up without the rain fly to watch the stars
and still get bug protection.
Cons: I found it a little on the small side. I'm 6'2" 200 lbs. Not enough room inside for all my
gear.

Fly Creek: Pros: Very roomy inside. Got all my gear, including pack inside. I was in a severe thunder
storm on the AT and had about 3 inches of water running under the tent for about an hour
and not a drop of water inside. I was sold on this tent after that.
Cons: I don't like front entry tents. Takes time to set up. I think it takes 11 stakes. Price
was a little steep but the $55 for the footprint really made me mad.

Spinn Twinn Tarp Pros: I use this all the time now when hiking w/o my wife. Very light at 9oz. Easy to
set up with my hiking poles. Have been in downpours and kept dry. I can set it
up in various configurations.
Cons: It's a front entry shelter most of the time. No bug protection.

Good luck
Pound Hound and Garage Man

swjohnsey
11-14-2011, 18:37
You can get a good pitch on the Fly Creek with just six stakes.

Wil
11-14-2011, 19:18
Only took 13 this time. Who had it?DAMN! I had 4.

July
11-14-2011, 19:37
Just like anything lightweight and high performance it does not last as long as the heavier stuff. It is lightweight for a reason, i.e. removal of materials. You can say all you want, but coming from a professional bike racing career, where light weight is everything, it breaks and does not last. We had sponsors replacing our equipment monthly with new stuff because the lightweight stuff did not hold up. So whether it is backpacking, bike racing, or any other activity....lightweight will not last over the long haul compared to the more stoutly, heavier equipment. Besides, why does weight really matter anyway?? if you are strong enough, and in good enough shape to carry a 40 lbs pack 20 miles a day, what does it matter??? I bet most people shave down to the minimum because they are not in the best shape for the hike that they could be in.

Interesting comment from a "professional". First thing to come to mind, basic bio-mechanical physics. Weight/gravity/distance x physical integrity of various structures. Some things to think about...

July
11-14-2011, 19:38
Interesting comment from a "professional". First thing to come to mind, basic bio-mechanical physics. Weight/gravity/distance x physical integrity of various structures. Some things to think about...

Term structure refers to human bio/physiology.

Echraide
11-15-2011, 22:10
Love my Hubba as long as I'm not going to use it in a hard rain.

Papa D
11-15-2011, 23:03
MSR Hubba or it's non-free standing cousin, the Carbon Reflex - I've sept very warm in the CR pushing it to 8-10" snow - using snow as a dead-man to make it psudo-free standing and single digit temps - performs like a champ. _ I've probably spent 200 nights in these tents - highly recommended

Guy
11-16-2011, 01:25

20 miles with 40 lbs. doesn't feel as good while you're hiking as 20 lbs.. Feels great to take off your back though, that's for sure!

I think you're overstating the fragility of some UL gear (some of it is more durable than heavier alternatives, like anything made out of titanium, Spectra and Dyneema) but the statement isn't entirely inaccurate. Knowing how to use/maintain gear is also a factor.

Back to tents...

If I'm using a tent and I'm by myself, I use a TarpTent Moment. It has condensation issues as all single walled tents do, but it's super fast to put up and take down (1 pole, 2 stakes) has good head room, ventilation.

One other drawback to it is it almost has to be strapped to a pack externally. The carbon fiber struts at either end don't come out (easily) making it hard to fit in a pack.

Wil
11-16-2011, 04:07
20 miles with 40 lbs. doesn't feel as good while you're hiking as 20 lbs.People who later get back to me (admittedly a small sample) after my babbling about lightweight run the spectrum. The trim and fit youngsters say they now just fly up the mountains, a whole new exhilarating experience. The mainstreamers realize they're now in the process of prolonging their hiking lifetimes. The old timers thank me for helping them to few more years.

There is no place on the continuum where intelligent lightening the load doesn't change your life for the better. As I tell people: I have no dog in this fight. Kill yourselves with the weight; I don't care. But since we're sitting here on break and you've asked about my minimal pack, I'll tell you a bit about what I've learned over 50 years of it. Once I get up and move on, do what you want and have fun either way.

Mr Breeze
11-16-2011, 07:13
The Lightheart gear solo is a great tent. Plenty of room and very nicely made. Check one of those out

FamilyGuy
11-16-2011, 12:16
You would be well served to wait until the arrival of the Tarptent Stratosphire 1, which should be available in a couple of weeks.

-True double wall but can separate the fly and the inner for modular use.
-sets up fly first - great in the rain.
-more usable volume of space than any of the suggestions so far in this thread.
-trekking poles set up but the poles stay outside the inner tent, where they should stay.
-modified mid design (not an A-frame) that can take some snow load.
-31 oz with pegs.

Nitrojoe
11-16-2011, 12:59
Your best bet for a light wt. single wall tent is the Mountain Laurel Designs silnylon solomid, its wt. is 13oz. You can chose a cabon fiber, but the cost is way up there. Check it out on line.

skinewmexico
11-16-2011, 13:12
There is no place on the continuum where intelligent lightening the load doesn't change your life for the better.

Hard to say it any better than that.

Tom Murphy
11-16-2011, 14:09
The "hangers" appear to be like evangelical missionaries, constantly bringing up their alternative, when not asked for.

Yup, I find the UL crowd is the same way but I don't see any bets on when the first tarp is suggested.

just sayin'

Wise Old Owl
11-16-2011, 14:11
I don't see the problem thread swerve all the time - amazed - 13 posts.

mdp9
11-21-2011, 11:52
I'm researching tens for a '12 thru hike as well, and it seems to me that there are several great options for tents that you will be pleased with. So many experienced hikers here have pitched in that they swear by their particular tent, which tells me you or I could probably go with any of these options and end up with a tent that does the job.

Personally, I'm looking at the TT Notch, Sublite, or Contrail (if anyone knows of any stark differences between these 3 that would be appreciated) or the LightHeart Solo. Being 5'3" and female, I suppose I have somewhat different spatial requirements as most people on here. :)

Smudge
11-21-2011, 14:30
I just spent three days in Giant Sequoia National Park with my girlfriend in my Big Agnes Copper Spur II. I got this tent used from my brother "Cool Breeze" who used to work at Mountain Crossings. I set it up for the first time in my back yard a day before Carmen and I set out. Took me about 5 minutes to figure it out with no instructions. When we got to our site about midnight, in the rain, it took me about 2 minutes to pitch it. We put our pads and bags in and got cozy right away. It rained non-stop all night. We had not a drop in the tent. We left our boots and jackets under the vestibules outside the tent and they were pecfectly dry as well.

I haven't backpacked with this tent, only car camped so far. Carmen and I usually car camp with a day hike or two in between because we have two big dogs that need a lot of attention so we haven't taken the time to sort out the logistics of a multi-day section hike but that's in the works!

If I were prepping for a solo hike, I would be very confident taking a Copper Spur I. Free standing, side entry, dual vestbules, LOTS of room.

My other ultra-light tent experience is with a TT Contrail. Also a great tent but not free standing and it's front entry. Cool Breeze and I did a section hike on the AT a few years ago and I carried his Contrail. We also did a cross country trip together in 2008 and used his TT Rainbow on the nights it rained. Shires makes some amazing gear for sure, but as mentioned before, there is a bit of a learning curve.(easily overcome so don't let that be a total detraction) That being said, especially here in the west, a free standing tent is much more convenient IMO.

10-K
11-21-2011, 14:39
Here's the deal:

1. Write down the name of any SMD or TT single person tent and put it in a hat.

2. Stick your hand in and pull out a slip.

3. Buy that tent

My apologies for leaving out the names of so many of the other cottage tent folks who make equal and in some cases, superior, tents.

Cookerhiker
11-21-2011, 14:50
Last week, I slept my first night in my new Mountain Hardwear Sprite 1 (http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Sprite%E2%84%A2-1/OU9481,default,pd.html). A little over 3 lbs so I guess it's not ultralight but it's the smallest tent I've ever had so I'm getting used to it. The setup is easy and I like the side entrance and vestibule.

I only acquired it because it was offered by Mountain Hardwear as a warranty replacement for an out-of-stock tent I had purchased 4 years ago.

peakseeker
11-21-2011, 15:49
The best for the money and wt.! I use this one and it is so easy to pack up and setup.

http://www.rei.com/product/819973/kelty-salida-2-tent

C (http://www.rei.com/product/819973/kelty-salida-2-tent)an't stand up in it, but I was recently in cold windy conditions and felt no wind or rain at all! Awesome for me anyway.

TRAUMAhead
11-21-2011, 16:07
Here's the deal:

1. Write down the name of any SMD or TT single person tent and put it in a hat.

2. Stick your hand in and pull out a slip.

3. Buy that tent

My apologies for leaving out the names of so many of the other cottage tent folks who make equal and in some cases, superior, tents.x2, but throw MLD, Zpacks, Lightheart into the mix.

I'd like to try a hammock some time, but it's kinda hard when you're above the treeline.

TRAUMAhead
11-21-2011, 16:09
One other drawback to it is it almost has to be strapped to a pack externally. The carbon fiber struts at either end don't come out (easily) making it hard to fit in a pack.How are you folding the tent? I sort of fold it in half and roll it up, and it fits fine in my pack.

And I can't seem to find the edit button.

Cookerhiker
11-21-2011, 16:16
...And I can't seem to find the edit button.

Here's how you edit: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/payments.php

TRAUMAhead
11-23-2011, 01:05
Here's how you edit: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/payments.phpAh, thanks.

Del Q
11-23-2011, 19:50
New entry in the lightweight gear foray..............Hyperlight Mountain Gear, cool tent, I own their cuben fiber backpack and LOVE IT.

Saving up for a cuben fiber tent..............really like the Lightheart gear as well

One Half
11-26-2011, 22:33
One of the most common tents you will see on the trail is the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1. There is a reason. It is a sturdy tent, dry, easy to set up, light and relatively cheap.

I love mine. FWIW I am 5'3", pack light and really don't have extra space in it - a little at the foot end, a bit at the head, just enough to store my gear minus food.

Khike
12-05-2011, 10:03
Gotta put in my 2 cents... I gotta go with the Contrail by Henry Shires. Mine is 29 ounces with 4 stakes, bag, drop cloth and tent. Roomy. Quick to set up. My bud has a hubba hubba, but it weighs a poop load. He also has a hubba, but it is very tiny inside. He doesn't bring that. Double Rainbow is real nice but I leave it at home now and try to be lighter. Nice product and had it in pouring all night rain and nary a drop leaked in. Kevin

Megapixel
12-05-2011, 10:26
TT Contrail-24 oz.-single wall-$200-I have 4 thets, this is my tent of choice for the AT

I second this... it served me well. I have one for sale in the For Sale Section here on Whiteblaze!

PAHiker
12-05-2011, 11:08
SD Lightyear 1 - pretty light as-is and even lighter using fly and footprint only.

ChinMusic
12-05-2011, 11:35

Used the Lightheart Solo for 3 nights this weekend in Indiana. Had a mixture of wind and rain to run it through the paces. The Lightheart Solo performed flawlessly. Even in "awning mode" I did not get rain entering my tent and the wind was blowing right in. I would suspect with a tad more wind/rain I would have to remove the awning pole and switch to "storm mode". I haven't quite figured out the best way to get to the storm mode from inside the tent. I'm still learning.

jersey joe
12-05-2011, 22:01
The Eureka Solitaire did its job on my thru hike and only cost $69. I used shelters quite a bit and used the tent under 20 times.
Not very much room, but I just used it for sleeping. Under 3lb. too!

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___23888

jakedatc
12-06-2011, 11:06
20 miles with 40 lbs. doesn't feel as good while you're hiking as 20 lbs.. Feels great to take off your back though, that's for sure!

I think you're overstating the fragility of some UL gear (some of it is more durable than heavier alternatives, like anything made out of titanium, Spectra and Dyneema) but the statement isn't entirely inaccurate. Knowing how to use/maintain gear is also a factor.

Back to tents...

If I'm using a tent and I'm by myself, I use a TarpTent Moment. It has condensation issues as all single walled tents do, but it's super fast to put up and take down (1 pole, 2 stakes) has good head room, ventilation.

One other drawback to it is it almost has to be strapped to a pack externally. The carbon fiber struts at either end don't come out (easily) making it hard to fit in a pack.

not sure how that is any different than a set of tent poles? on my Contrail i fold it so it is the width of the struts. I plan on putting it under the lid of my backpack. benefits are that it IS external and won't get stuff inside wet. also it will be on top and easily accessed when it's time to set up and can be the last thing packed in the AM. which means if it is raining then i can have everything in my pack and ready to go inside fold up tent, put tyvek groundsheet in my back stretch pocket. good to go.

LDog
12-06-2011, 11:26

I'd suggest another big reason is because it is made by a relatively big company, and is widely available in the big-box outdoor recreation stores and online venues. The cottage industries mentioned throughout this thread, rarely get their products sold thru those venues, and so they are not visible to the average consumer. But, they are the ones pushing the envelope in innovation, they have lighter options, great customer support, and most of their products are made in the USA.

Disclaimer, I just pushed the button on a Lightheart Gear Solo Standard which is currently on sale. http://www.lightheartgear.com/

(http://www.lightheartgear.com/)

jakedatc
12-06-2011, 11:47

I dunno what "pro cycling" you did but unless a rider crashes there is not much that is replaced on a "regular basis" Velonews has articles from Radioshack's former mechanic and has stated this. They replace chains and cassettes as needed but everything else is pretty much on there unless they crash.

there is a guy in Holland i think that rides an 8lb full carbon, carbon chainrings, carbon spoke everything but the tires and chain/cassette as an every day rider. with the right conditions it can be done. no you can't race it but that's the same as you can't take a uberlight cuben pack bushwacking through briars all day either.

as long as you're not a clutz or purposely rough on your gear lightweight stuff will last too.

same person in shape could carry their 20lb pack 30mi instead of 20. end up skipping a resupply trip. making better time over all. Or they will hike the same 20mi, stop more often, have less fatigue and write "great easy day on the trail" instead of "ughhh rough 20mi today, i'll be tired tomorrow"

cabbagehead
03-05-2012, 14:18
I had a Eureka Solitaire, and every single pole segment broke. If you like this tent, get the Canadian version. It has 7000 series aluminum poles, and a few other differences. The poles from the Canadian version can easily be made to work with the American version. Also, if you get the Canadian version, use the seamseal, and spray it with waterproofer.

The only thing I don't like about both versions is that there is no vestibule. I wouldn't want a large vestibule. I just want a place to store my shoes next to my tent without getting too much dirt in my tent.