PDA

View Full Version : Introduction and seeking realistic opinions.

Catscradle
10-30-2011, 13:19
Hi, by way of introduction I'm a newbie to this forum and to hiking for that matter. I'm a retired software engineer and have recently rekindled thoughts of hiking the AT end-to-end. When I first heard of the AT I wanted to do it, but raising 4 sons through college and other realities forestalled it. I thought it was a goal gone forever due to my age, but recent readings lead me to believe many people do it in their declining years and that has re-sparked my interest. The earliest I could do it would be spring of 2012, I'd be 66, but more likely the spring of 2013 when I'd be 67. If asked why I want to do this, I can only plagerize George Mallory and say "because it's there". I haven't much hiking experience, I've hiked a couple of mountains in NH but that's about it. However, I've a friend in mind who'll be retiring soon and has much hiking experience.
I'm in good shape for my age. I've been running regularly for 40+ years and still jog over 20 miles a week. I've run 13 marathons over the years plus countless other road races which includes a 7+ mile roadrace up Mt. Washington in NH. If I do this I intend to augment my running with hill work with a pack, either in the real world or on my treadmill.
I joined this forum for advice from people and for realistic opinions as to whether or not I should be even considering this task at my age. I would especially appreciate feedback from people who have done the AT after age 60. I've no doubt at all I could have done the AT probably up to age 50, but now ....
Thanks for any feedback, positive or negative, anybody has.
Steve Ellis.

Raul Perez
10-30-2011, 13:27
In June 2011 I ran into Chupa a 70 year old thru hiker in NY while I was doing a section hike. Have at it!

Pedaling Fool
10-30-2011, 13:36
Prepare yourself to hear a lot of, "Age is just a number..." responses. At 47, I call BS on that, but on the other hand we can still be active at an advanced age and actually it's best to be; given your active lifestyle, I'd say you're pretty much ready right now to hike the AT. However, I'd recommend getting into weight training (but that's just me). Not for preparation to thru-hike the AT, but because I believe it's what keeps the body's skeletal system in tact and strong, especially the joints, which, seems to me, is the weakest link of a healthy body, especially on a long-distance hike.

Of all the injuries that force people off the trail, the vast majority are not from a weak cardio system, barring heart problems the cardio system gets stronger each day on the trail. But certain joints, in many cases get weaker, and as a result people are always getting off because of sore knees, hips, feet.... So in addition to what you already do I recommend weight training and do as many practice hikes as possible. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaD8EPIJil8

mateozzz
10-30-2011, 14:02
I'd say if you can jog 2 miles you can probably hike the AT.

Lyle
10-30-2011, 14:08
You sound like you are in pretty good shape and know how to push through the inevitable discomfort for the reward.

Many folks continue to hike long distances into their 60's and 70's. That's my plan. :-)

Friend of mine hiked across the country, from San Francisco to Lewes, Delaware, some 4300 miles. He started that trip when he was 68. He was one of the few in the group who hiked every single step of the way.

If you are in good shape, no problem. If you find you aren't in such great shape, many can still do a thru hike. Blind people, folks with MS, diabetics, plus many others have successfully made it and enjoyed it.

Catscradle
10-30-2011, 14:08
... However, I'd recommend getting into weight training (but that's just me)...
I hear what you're saying, but what I love about running is I can just put on my shoes, walk out the door, and go. Can't do that with weight training. However, I did a search on youtube on "Strength training without weights", I'll check out some of those videos and see what they reveal. Last time I tried adding strength training (pushups, etc.) it screwed up my pool game which I wasn't pleased with.

Feral Bill
10-30-2011, 14:15
Looks like fitness is far less of a barrier than experience for you. Start out with shorter trips next summer and, with some reading up, you should be good to go the following spring. The Complete Walker IV and Advanced Backpacking are good books to start with. The worst thing that's likely to happen is you don't finish the trail.

4eyedbuzzard
10-30-2011, 14:23
Being 65 years old is no reason not to thru-hike.

The honest bottom line is that most people are more in love with the romantic notion of thru-hiking rather than the often harsh reality of it. According to ATC only 25% or so successfully complete a thru-hike, and many will tell you that the real completion rate is quite a bit lower. Some get injured, some run out of money, but most just find that hiking day after day after day (repeat 150+ times), through pretty much every weather condition conceivable, isn't for them. Count me in this latter group. As you've haven't done much hiking, you should take a few overnight / weekend hikes, and at least one week long one to see if you really like hiking / backpacking for even moderately extended periods before committing to a thru-hike. If you find you like it, go for it. You can always stop hiking when you've had enough.

Realistically, you probably have what, a 5 to 10 year window age/health wise? And the longer you wait, well, at 65 you already know the reality of aging. Scotch, wine, and cheese improve with age. We don't, at least physically. As JG noted, some will say age is just a number, but generally they are young(er) folks who cite extremely unusual and anectdotal cases to justify that claim.

Jim Adams
10-30-2011, 14:35
I say go for it...seems that with your conditioning and will power under physical stress the only reason not to go is if you find that you don't like long distance backpacking. A thru hike is not hiking, it is backpacking...living out of your pack, throughout all environments till the end. I like that but I rarely hike because I don't like hiking. There are too many other activities to do to just "see the outdoors" but I love the "adventure" of doing it long distance...everybody has their reasons for being out there. Don't worry about your age or physical condition, just go and hope that you like "backpacking".

geek

DapperD
10-30-2011, 15:22
If you have kept yourself in decent physical shape and condition over the years, and take it slow and easy starting out, at least for the first few weeks, I don't see why being 65 years of age needs to stop you. One thing you will need to realize is that a much greater attention to your physical needs will have to be applied as to prevent burnout. The amount/quality of food you eat, the amount of rest and quality of it that you receive while on the trail will all need to be given more thought. Much greater attention needs to be given to overall recuperation when one gets older than when one is young. But if you don't have any major problems with joints or arthritis, etc....then I don't see why you can't attempt a thru-hike. Even if you decide to not complete the entire trail in one season, you will still have had the chance to be out there having fun:sun.

DapperD
10-30-2011, 15:52
If you have kept yourself in decent physical shape and condition over the years, and take it slow and easy starting out, at least for the first few weeks, I don't see why being 65 years of age needs to stop you. One thing you will need to realize is that a much greater attention to your physical needs will have to be applied as to prevent burnout. The amount/quality of food you eat, the amount of rest and quality of it that you receive while on the trail will all need to be given more thought. Much greater attention needs to be given to overall recuperation when one gets older than when one is young. But if you don't have any major problems with joints or arthritis, etc....then I don't see why you can't attempt a thru-hike. Even if you decide to not complete the entire trail in one season, you will still have had the chance to be out there having fun:sun.I would just like to add that I found and read this book which helps dispel some of the notion that an older person can't accomplish long-distance hiking:http://newmountainbooks.com/id2.html

4eyedbuzzard
10-30-2011, 16:18
I would just like to add that I found and read this book which helps dispel some of the notion that an older person can't accomplish long-distance hiking:http://newmountainbooks.com/id2.htmlJust FWIW, I think it's a good book, but it should be noted that Ryan wasn't all that old when he thru-hiked at age 51. Granted, 51 isn't young either, but if you ask most 65 year olds they will tell you there is quite a bit of difference in terms of physical fitness, well-being, general health, etc between the two ages. Again, not saying 65 is too old, but it brings some additional considerations like those you noted regarding nutrition, recuperation, etc.

johnnybgood
10-30-2011, 17:01
I'll have to wait till age 65 to thru hike the trail and I intend to keep my body in good shape in the process of waiting.

The mental aspect of enduring the daily rigors of thru hiking might be a more significant challenge than the physical part. Living every day like the previous can fester boredom and loniless that take many hikers off the trail every year.
That being said , a well prepared person that takes every day one at a time and keeps his journey in perspectve mentally will have a better chance at staying in the game GA-ME) .
Read up on what it takes to thru hike nearly 2,200 miles. I'd try to get out there for a weekend hike before you leave to test your gear out so there are no surprises when you leave Springer.
Nutrition is a very important , keeping your caloric intake high while on the trail , those muscles will need calories (fat & protein) to burn .

Finally , " Age is just a number ...." go make your dreams happen. So there John Gault , someone said it. ;)

Blissful
10-30-2011, 17:19
Of course you should hike the AT!! Age matters not. :) Will does.

Blissful
10-30-2011, 17:19
I
Finally , " Age is just a number ...." go make your dreams happen.

Yes, yes and triple yes

mountain squid
10-30-2011, 17:34
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-signs087.gifto WB. Sounds like you'll do ok on the trail. Just start off slow and Have Fun! (Age aside, don't be overconfident in your previous accomplishments. It is just walking, but hiking the mountains with a pack on can quickly take a toll on the body/feet in the beginning . . . )

See you on the trail,
mt squid

how to hike
(http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73587-how-to-hike)observations (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?14493-observations-from-fs42-(advice-for-first-week-on-trail))

ChinMusic
10-30-2011, 17:46
I joined this forum for advice from people and for realistic opinions as to whether or not I should be even considering this task at my age.

Think of your age as an advantage. You will easily be able to avoid the "distractions" that derail many in the younger crowd. Take it real slow in the beginning, doing much less miles than you are capable of.

Catscradle
10-30-2011, 19:35
Thanks to all for your acceptance, advise, and encouragement. I will buy (and read) the books. I'm not too worried about the tedium, what I am most worried about is my endurance. I've gone up and down Mt Monadnock a few times and a couple of other mountains with just a day pack on my back and I was pretty exhausted by the time we finished. Downhills were really tough on me, I felt like I used to feel going down stairs the day after a marathon. At any rate, thanks again and I'll keep reading this forum and glean what I can from it. Maybe I'll occasionally post, but being the newbie with little expertise in the subject matter it won't be often. I may have more questions as I learn more and I assume I can feel free to ask. I'll try not to ask stupid questions. :)

ChinMusic
10-30-2011, 19:41
what I am most worried about is my endurance.

IMO, that should be WAY down your list. Anyone capable of what you have done will not have an endurance "problem". That does not mean things won't be hard, they will. If it was easy, you probably wouldn't even want to do it.

swjohnsey
10-30-2011, 21:13
Cheat. Use this forum to improve your odds. Refine your gear and get your pack weight down. Take your time.

Tinker
10-30-2011, 22:13
Age aside, I'd say that your chances of completing a hike will be determined more by
1) How much you like camping,
2) How much you like walking, and
3) How much you let boredom and weather get to you.
Injuries are always possible, too, particularly stress fractures and overuse issues related to feet, knees, hips, etc.

Catscradle
10-31-2011, 11:58
Age aside, I'd say that your chances of completing a hike will be determined more by
1) How much you like camping,
2) How much you like walking, and
3) How much you let boredom and weather get to you.
Injuries are always possible, too, particularly stress fractures and overuse issues related to feet, knees, hips, etc.
1. I've not done much camping, my wife was never into it. I think I'll be okay with it though.
2. Walking is fine, though I tend to get impatient and push the pace which I don't think would be good on a long distance hike.
3. Boredom I'm not concerned about, after all I'm a long distance runner (and an of old Yankee stock, we're all boring. :) )
3a. Weather, I don't know. I've run in rainstorms, blizzards, dangerously hot and cold temperatures, and the tail end of a hurricane. I even hiked a mountain in a windy rainstorm that turned to hail on the bald top. However, I always knew I had a hot shower at the end of the day in those circumstances.

ChinMusic
10-31-2011, 12:16
However, I always knew I had a hot shower at the end of the day in those circumstances.

And that is a huge difference. Being miserable with a town waiting for you that night, is very much different when the town is several days away.

Malto
10-31-2011, 13:59
Age is no reason to stop you but you should really see if this is something you want to do before taking off. At least go hike for a solid week and see if you can "do without the shower" and see if you enjoy it. Better yet, follow this up with a mid length trip this summer, something like the John Muir Trail. Also, do yourself a big favor and get your pack weight down, it will make a huge difference in enjoying your trip. Enjoy

quilteresq
10-31-2011, 14:45
Go for it. My father-in-law hiked the NH 48 peaks in his late 60's. I'm still picking at them. But I'm up to 17 finally.

Catscradle
10-31-2011, 15:30
Go for it. My father-in-law hiked the NH 48 peaks in his late 60's. I'm still picking at them. But I'm up to 17 finally.
I've 2 if you count running up Mt Washington in a road race. My other is E. Osceola. I wish I was closer, it is at least a 3 hour ride for me to go hike one. My friend has done a lot of them and is shooting for them all, she's done Mt. Monadnock every month for over 5 years including a period when she was going through cancer treatment. She's my inspiration as far as hiking is concerned.

Spokes
10-31-2011, 15:39
Equating your ability to thru hike against your running or marathon ability is an exercise in futility. It's a different game.

I ran ultra marathons and had completed a 4200 mile solo cross country bicycle ride before my 2009 AT thru hike and I can tell you the hike was a whole different animal. Simply put, it was the hardest thing I'd ever done.

The best way to have a successful thru hike is not to have any expectations.

quilteresq
10-31-2011, 16:43
I live near Concord, and it's difficult - got the most done when I lived in Plymouth - before marriage and kid.

Echraide
10-31-2011, 16:59
On my thru I hiked for a while with an 82yo man. He outpaced me. You can do it, Catscradle!

Catscradle
10-31-2011, 17:44
Equating your ability to thru hike against your running or marathon ability is an exercise in futility. It's a different game.

I ran ultra marathons and had completed a 4200 mile solo cross country bicycle ride before my 2009 AT thru hike and I can tell you the hike was a whole different animal. Simply put, it was the hardest thing I'd ever done.

The best way to have a successful thru hike is not to have any expectations.
When you say that are you referring to the physical or the mental aspects? From the replies I've seen so far I'm expecting that, though the physical aspect will be really tough, it is the mental aspect which will most likely decide success or failure.

Catscradle
10-31-2011, 17:48
I live near Concord, and it's difficult - got the most done when I lived in Plymouth - before marriage and kid.
Ah, a kid... 4 of them kept me from doing a lot of things for 25 years, but it was worth it. When the kid gets a little older you'll be able to get back at it and he or she will get an early start.

peakbagger
10-31-2011, 18:02
I have known several folks in your situation that have done a through hike. One of them was a long term hunter/camper/canoeist but had never backpacked. He had a great time.

One thing that several older hikers have mentioned is that it requires patience and tolerence especially in the first quarter of the AT for the younger somewhat rowdier thruhikers and the small percentage of the individuals that cause the major amounts of issues. At least a few switched over to tenting as the shelter hassle wasnt worth it until the rush was past. One person I talked to commented that he liked to get out of camp early as otherwise he could usually spend an hour cleaning up the trash from the party crowd. A lot of the issues seemed to go away after Damascus.

I have encoutered a lot of folks who hike off season and avoid the thruhiker rush. I know personally while sectioning that it was hard to beat the weather in late summer early fall , although water was a issue down south. Lot to be said for a flip flop hike where you start in the middle atlantic to get in shape then head south and eventually flip north.

Mountain Mike
10-31-2011, 19:06
When I attempted my thru of PCT in 95 I had the priviledge of hiking a part of the trail with Brice Hammock. He has done the Triple Crown twice since he retired. He was hiking with his thirtysomething daughter & she was slowing him down to about 15 miles a day. A few years later I was talking with him at an ALDHAwest conference. He said his summers hike had really beat him up. He decided he was going to have to scale back. Nothing over 500 miles. That was when he was 84!

sbhikes
10-31-2011, 19:24
Wasn't there an old guy who completed the trail this year? His story was pretty inspiring.

A thru-hike is more a mental challenge than a physical one. It's hard to know that until you get out there, but it's true. You are probably old enough not to get caught up in all the mental anguish of "failing" to complete your thru-hike if it turns out long distance hiking isn't your thang.

I say get your (ultralight) gear together and just do it!

Skid.
11-01-2011, 10:13
It's 90% mental, having the positive attitude and the determination to do it. This past August, I met Cimmaron, a guy attempting to be the oldest thru hiker -- he was 89, northbound, and I met him in NH!!

Catscradle
11-01-2011, 10:17
It's 90% mental, having the positive attitude and the determination to do it. This past August, I met Cimmaron, a guy attempting to be the oldest thru hiker -- he was 89, northbound, and I met him in NH!!
Wow, that says it all.

ChinMusic
11-01-2011, 10:26
In Cimarron's case is was probably 90% physical. His body just could not hold up. This amazing man did complete ~1100 miles though.

Spokes
11-01-2011, 10:33
When you say that are you referring to the physical or the mental aspects? From the replies I've seen so far I'm expecting that, though the physical aspect will be really tough, it is the mental aspect which will most likely decide success or failure.

Both. Crazy things happen in your mind after spending 6 days in the woods being cold and soaking wet the entire time. Funny how some people are able to walk through their mega-blisters while others freak out.

No matter what you read or hear, you won't really get the full flavor of it until you've experienced it first hand.

ekeverette
11-01-2011, 10:50
practice with your treadmill, with a loaded backpack... that's what i did, i run 25 miles a week, but it's a whole different ball game, hiking with a load. the treadmill will help.... it did me.. good luck