PDA

View Full Version : Neels Gap to Unicoi Gap, Nov 11-13

jtlee1
10-30-2011, 13:22
Anybody on Whiteblaze gonna be in that area? Be glad to meet some folks...

Pixelgator
10-31-2011, 10:12
I and my hiking buddy, Boll Weevil, are planning the same trip. But probably the 10th and 11th. See Ya!

Gray Blazer
10-31-2011, 14:24
I was watching Finding Big Foot last night and there was a whole section about the GA Big Foot near the AT on the Chatahoochee River. You never know. They were talking to a bunch of eyewitnesses in Helen.

jtlee1
10-31-2011, 20:30
Haha, nice! I saw a clip where a man in NC claimed he had chased Bigfoot out of his back yard. Said he "rough talked" him, hahaha.

That's what I'll do, should I run into Bigfoot. "Rough Talk" him.

Gray Blazer
11-01-2011, 07:55
Haha, nice! I saw a clip where a man in NC claimed he had chased Bigfoot out of his back yard. Said he "rough talked" him, hahaha.

That's what I'll do, should I run into Bigfoot. "Rough Talk" him.

You'd be surprised what you might do if you came up suddenly on a dangerous condition. One time I walked right up on a bear at Mt. Pisgah campground. He/she was in a bear-proof garbage can and I had my daughter on my shoulders. I started cursing it and yelling at it. It gave me a look as if to say, "you are really stupid" and sauntered off. Later that night it tried to come in the side of my tent while we were sleeping. I started hitting it and yelling again. It took off. Maybe rough talk is a natural fight/flight reaction. Now I always hike with my dog and have not had a situation like that. Have fun.

jtlee1
11-01-2011, 13:54
There's no telling what I would do in a situation with a bear. Anything and everything I could do to scare it away, if possible. I've seen a couple myself in the Tesnatee Gap area, but no close-up and personal interaction. There's probably a better chance of that than a Bigfoot sighting. I don't blame you for taking your dog. I'm thinking the same thing!

Waterbuffalo
11-04-2011, 19:34
Ill be out doing the Springer mtn to Hawk mtn that weekend with a couple newbies

jtlee1
11-05-2011, 08:02
Off the wall question...are you very concerned about hunters this time of year? One of my buddies was gathering info, and said that although hunting wasn't allowed on the AT it was advised that you wear some blaze orange just in case there were poachers. Sounds like good advice, your thoughts?

max patch
11-05-2011, 08:17
Hunting seasson in N GA started 2 weeks ago and goes thru the end of the year. I'm not "concerned" about hunters but I wear an orange hiking shirt EVERY time I'm on the trail in the fall. When I wear a hat (depends on the temp) its orange also.

A girl was shot near Woody Gap a few years back. No orange, and when she finished her bathroom stuff a hunter thot her toilet paper was a white tail deer and nailed her.

jtlee1
11-05-2011, 08:22
Terrible, but yeah, that's exactly what we're concerned about. I'm a hunter myself, so I have plenty of blaze orange to wear. Is it legal to hunt near the AT, then?

Rentman
11-07-2011, 13:42
Anybody on Whiteblaze gonna be in that area? Be glad to meet some folks...
Me, my Marine son and two others will be out there too.........hope to see ya, anyone know about the water situation at Low Gap Shelter?

FatMan
11-07-2011, 23:48
Off the wall question...are you very concerned about hunters this time of year? One of my buddies was gathering info, and said that although hunting wasn't allowed on the AT it was advised that you wear some blaze orange just in case there were poachers. Sounds like good advice, your thoughts?Your friend is wrong. Here in GA there are no restrictions on hunters for the AT in the Chattahoochee National Forest. The AT is only mentioned in the GA restrictions as follows:

"NOTE: The Appalachian
Trail (AT) is heavily used all year
for camping and hiking. Please be aware
of campers/hikers and use caution when
hunting near the AT or any other trails/
campgrounds."

Just last Saturday a group of hikers commented on my and my wife's blaze orange and the blaze orange vests on my dogs. They too thought there was no hunting allowed near the AT and were not wearing any. And low and behold, the moment we ended out chat and started to move on a loud gun blast from about 75 yards away rang out. I chuckled as two in the group let out a loud "Oh S***".LOL

I am not very concerned about hunters. They know where the trail is and are not likely to fire in its direction. But they are often very near by so I always wear orange and you should too.

Accidents do happen as Max Patch mentioned above. And, as with the accident above, dawn and dusk are when you are most difficult to see so wear that orange in camp too. Yeah even when nature calls.

FatMan
11-07-2011, 23:49
Terrible, but yeah, that's exactly what we're concerned about. I'm a hunter myself, so I have plenty of blaze orange to wear. Is it legal to hunt near the AT, then?As I wrote above, Yes.

scuppertrout
11-08-2011, 07:05
I'll be starting at Woody Gap Friday am. Meeting up with a few other folks up the trail. *This time of year I tie orange caution tape to my pack front and back.

Spogatz
11-08-2011, 16:29
The only problem with hunters in Georgia is most of them are drunk or hung over. Either of which is a dangerous situation.