PDA

View Full Version : Enough or Too much clothing?

Brock
03-01-2005, 20:32
I plan on starting April 1st in GA and wonder if these clothes will be enough or too much for my upper body. Can I get some suggestions?

Duofold Varitherm long sleeve – warm at higher activity levels
Starter Star Fit long sleeve - zip turtleneck poly/spandex
Starter Dri-Star Fleece pullover - very thin and light
Columbia - water/wind resistant packable nylon/poly
t-shirt - ??? don't have one yet. any suggestions?

I am taking two long sleeve shirts since my fleece is very thin. I plan to use either the t-shirt to hike in and maybe swap out the long sleeves if it gets cold during the day. In the evening, I will use the other long sleeve and/or the fleece depending on temperature and if I want to hang outside of my bag. Will this be enought/too much clothing for a early April start? Should I take a bigger fleece?

orangebug
03-01-2005, 22:06
It can get quite cold in April in GA. You can do well with a Capilene, poly t-shirts, 1 or 2 mild fleeces, a moderate weight fleece with pit zips and a good rain/wind barrier.

Given that Walasi-Yi is only 3-4 days away from your start, you will probably do well enough to decide if you need more or can send something home.

Imagine how the class of 05 is doing tonight with snow, wind and COLD!

Doctari
03-01-2005, 22:07
Brock:

That is such a subjective question/answer.

For ME, that is to much, yet for my (work) partner, not nearly 1/2 as much as needed and we are talking for the same tempertures.

As to the Tee shirt, anything but cotton. Something like coolmax, or underarmor perhaps.

Thumper 2006
03-01-2005, 23:53
I would also like to include my clothing question-enough or too much?
2pairs of mtn hardwear pack pants
2 wick t's
1 silkweight long sleeve with 1 silkweight tights
rain jacket with pants
windstopper fleece
4pairs patagonia capilene socks

Thumper 2006
03-01-2005, 23:54
I am also southbound leaving June 1st

MileMonster
03-02-2005, 10:37
I started March 9th. What worked for me:

1 Duofold ss shirt
1 Nylon shorts
1 Capilene LS Shirt (mid or light weight, depending on early or later in hike)
1 Capilene bottoms (mid or light weight, depending on early or later in hike. Early on I carried both pairs and it proved to be helpful. I started w/ one pair of light weigth, added the mid at Neels Gap. Wear under shorts when pants are needed, all under rainpants when really cold. Layer one or both.)
1 Montbell Thermawrap Jacket
1 Precip jacket
1 Precip pants
2 pr trailrunning socks
2 pr liner socks
thermal hat
polypro gloves
ball cap

chris
03-02-2005, 10:50
I'd say that you don't have enough. You have enough for when you are moving, but not while you are sitting. If you plan to hike all day, then this won't be a problem as you'll be generating a lot of heat. However, if you do so you'll read Katahdin on about July 1.

You need a warm insulating layer. Think heavy and warm. Or, warm and expensive and light. The MEC Northern Lite pullover (www.mec.ca) is a good option. People around here like the Patagonia Puff Ball, but it is about twice as expensive. If you have money sitting around, one of the down jackets from Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends would do nicely.

Of course, you could have sixty degree temps all the time in April. Or, you could have sub-freezing temps.

Brock
03-02-2005, 12:09
2pairs of mtn hardwear pack pants
2 wick t's
1 silkweight long sleeve with 1 silkweight tights
rain jacket with pants
windstopper fleece
4pairs patagonia capilene socks

the wonderer,
From what I understand, 1 pair of pants, let alone 2 may be overkill. But that may depend on how you like to hike.
I also think you are taking too many socks unless to want to double up on them while walking. I only plan on taking 2 pair of SmartWools.
But, you can take this from a guy who is asking about clothing options as well.
I think that taking too many clothes is better than too few. At least you can easily mail the extras home.

Frosty
03-02-2005, 12:51
I think that taking too many clothes is better than too few. At least you can easily mail the extras home.Ain't that the truth. It's been super getting all the lightweight advice here about what we can leave behind, but for first-timers like me, it isn't too bad an idea to carry a tad more and mail it home after a few days if necessary. Everyone eventually finds their own comfort level anyway. Of course, underpacking isn't a calamity,either, as Walasi-Yi Mountian Crossings has about anything you possibly could need. So I guess it isn't a bad idea for first-timers like me to underpak either, secure in the knowledge that they have a minimum of 3-4 days/nights to freeze before buying more clothing.

ARRRGHHHH.

I need to be out on the trail. I'm analyzing myself to death. 15 more days. It seems like an eternity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Footslogger
03-02-2005, 12:59
I need to be out on the trail. I'm analyzing myself to death. 15 more days. It seems like an eternity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!=================== =========================
Very typical feelings this close to your start date ...and good insight into under vs. overpacking when you start. Either way your covered because, as you point out, Walasi-Yi is only 3 days into your hike and you can pick up things you need or mail home things that you've decided you don't need.

Either way ...it's all good !!

'Slogger
AT 2003