PDA

View Full Version : Girlfriend friendly

strollingalong
10-30-2011, 15:13
My missus will be joining the affray sometime around Harpers Ferry, she's going to join me for approx a week then a week off the trail in NY, DC.

What would be the coolest, easiest, towniest, connectioniest etciest 50 miles or so section around there that would allow the highest probability of a good time had by all. I've seen what can happen on these sorts of trips, pushing the missus too hard. Gonna take it real nice and easy and lug extra camping equipment and food for that part.

Harpers Ferry to Waynesboro? We'll need to shuttle/public transport to and from the trail to DC. Hard section?

Cheers very muchly

SpecialK
10-30-2011, 15:26
Strollingalong. Harpers Ferry to Waynesboro is a relatively easey section of the AT. Their is daily train service from Harpers Ferry to DC, both commuter and Amtrak. If you did a solid 7 days at about 12 miles a day you should be able to reach Pine Grove Furnance and the half way point with no problem. I hike this area regularly, if you have any more questions let me know. Good Luck

Kerosene
10-30-2011, 15:32
So are you looking for a section between Harpers Ferry and Waynesboro?

Papa D
10-30-2011, 17:20
I understand what you are looking for, but frankly, this is a really sexist attitude - your significant other may be looking to do an easy section, but that doesn't mean that all women (like the your "missus") can only handle easy hiking. I hike with a couple of women - regularly that can hold it down with anyone - and I mean anyone -- remember that the current AT Speed Record for ANY PERSON happens to be held by a woman. You could have posed the same question without using such a sexist slant -- just sayin'

Bloomer
10-30-2011, 17:23
I think that Harpers Ferry to Duncannon, PA is easier that Waynesboro to Harpers Ferry. Hiking North from Harpers Ferry there is a free shower campground with a great restaurant, hostel, swimming, halfway point on AT, The Doyal Hotel ;), AT Mid atlantic Office in Boiling Springs, Can get food delivered in Caladonia SP in PA. This whole section is a easier hike than Northern VA (ie. roller coaster). Don't know if she likes Bear or not but there are many in SNP. Once in Duncannon its easy to get a train back to Harpers Ferry/DC or a maybe afree ride from the ride board on this site.

strollingalong
10-30-2011, 17:27
You ARE kidding me, right?! hahahahaha

She's my missus cause I'm British. Eat one. I'm not sexist you giant douche. get off your ridiculously high horse. Am I talking about ALL women? Or a woman who wants to prove she's a hardcore hiker by completing the speed record?!.... or the woman who i love and live with and have done for years. Are you telling me you know my missus more than I? She'll and therefore we'll be happy and have a great time together as she has zero experience hiking.

Are you single? or just that you don't look out for the ones you care for?

you sir, are a chief.

strollingalong
10-30-2011, 17:30
thank you very much for your advice Bloomer and Special K. I meant walking either from HP to Wanyesboro, maybe Fayetteville.... 44.2 and 59.5 miles respectively. That means we could easily do the first option in a week, the second if she's up for more and if she really pulls it out of the bag... Boiling Springs, but 98 miles in a week or so would be pushing it for an absolute novice ( ahem ...Papa D), right? or is this section ridiculously easy?

strollingalong
10-30-2011, 17:33
How long would one need to go from HP to Duncannon with a complete beginner very petite lady without having a huge falling out?! ;D

strollingalong
10-30-2011, 17:38
What about the views in this section. I want to make this trip as stress free, beauty-filled as possible. Cheers again

SpecialK
10-30-2011, 17:39
AI wouldnt call it ridiculously easy, there are a few climbs, nothing more that 500', a larger portion of it is at ridge line. Trails are close to level n in good shape. Northern section of MD you will get into some rocky conditions but nothing to hard.

motlekj06
10-30-2011, 17:46
Not sure where that rant came from Papa D....a tad sensitive eh?

I agree with Bloomer. MD and Southern PA are pretty easy sections. Not much in the way of views in MD, but some alot history along the trail. Nice country too.

Bloomer
10-30-2011, 17:56
There are many comforts along the way as you hike north from Harpers Ferry that is why I sugested it. I have hiked this section many times and find it quite easy and matter of fact it was my first section that I hiked. There are more opportunities to get shuttles on this section if she has had enough. If I had to take a newbe/non-hiker onto the Appalachina Trail, I would do Maryland into PA for a 4 day hike or so. There is lots of history along this route and like I said many comforts. If you spend a week together on the trail there are two hostels, multiple State Parks (real bathrooms), swimming, easy trail, etc... This is the way to go imo... South of Harpers Ferry the trail is a harder hike and not a good start for a newbe. Plus, I think its more $ to get a shuttle in SNP or N, VA back to Harpers Ferry.

strollingalong
10-30-2011, 18:00
Excellent, thank you, Bloomer. That reassures me a lot. We're going for a lot of freedom, she'll be in the states for 15 days or so... a week in the DC and NY and a week(ish) on the trail. Whenever the weathers better those'll be our trail days. I suppose it's pretty warm in June, generally.

Kerosene
10-31-2011, 10:06
My girlfriend (now wife) hiked the 110 miles in 10 days from Duncannon to Harpers Ferry with me after we graduated from college in June 1979. She was a newbie and did fine until I pushed the mileage a bit at the end of the first week and she started to get knee pain. I'd characterize the 50 or so miles north from Front Royal to Harpers Ferry; and Harpers Ferry to about Fayetteville, PA; to be about equal in difficulty.

Tinker
10-31-2011, 11:16
I understand what you are looking for, but frankly, this is a really sexist attitude - your significant other may be looking to do an easy section, but that doesn't mean that all women (like the your "missus") can only handle easy hiking. I hike with a couple of women - regularly that can hold it down with anyone - and I mean anyone -- remember that the current AT Speed Record for ANY PERSON happens to be held by a woman. You could have posed the same question without using such a sexist slant -- just sayin'

You may be projecting. Personal experience is the only thing that can be related with authority. He knows his "missus" - most of us don't.

Me, I'm enjoying the aging process. Ebbing testosterone makes honest social interaction with the opposite sex much freer. Being married has always helped me behave, but sometimes improper thoughts would creep in and have to be dealt with. I'm being completely honest, here, as an individual. This is probably more helpful information for the women than the men. It's wonderful not having to put on a "neutered" act to put women at ease. People of all types are generally wonderful and a joy to be around, even moreso, I find, as I get older. I appreciate more, because I know I won't be around for ever.

Wow! Where did that come from?

chief
10-31-2011, 14:21
you sir, are a chief.Explain yourself sir, should I be offended?

strollingalong
10-31-2011, 14:34
Explain yourself sir, should I be offended?

haha... sorry, in the UK. It's an insult... means a joker kinda

Papa D
10-31-2011, 14:39
Gee - I guess I'm sorry for the rant - FYI, I'm married and my wife was hanging out in the den when we read your post. It just sounded funny. What if SHE were to have posted that "my husband will be joining me for a section of the trail and I'd like some suggestions on something easy that he can handle without complaining or whining too much." She is every bit as strong a hiker as most dudes on WB, so maybe I said what I did because I was a little offended on her behalf or maybe I totally misunderstood the post, but I don't like it when guys just assume that ladies can't do everything on the trail a guy can because it is simply not true. Sorry to accuse you of being sexist but it DID sound that way - I'm sure you didn't mean it that way and if I owe you an apology for ranting then it is offered .... ok?
Oh, hey there Chief!

strollingalong
10-31-2011, 14:53
i don't need an apology, thanks though. Anyway, I was just challenging your crazy politically correct views which end up being more sweeping because you think anyone would want to do everything. Which isn't true.
I'm sure your wife won't write that because you're an experienced hiker. I wasn't talking about her whining. I just want her to be as comfortable as possible.

Papa D
10-31-2011, 15:00
I think my views are generally correct - where they coincide with "politically correct views" is generally a coincidence - I'm also sometimes (on rare occasions :D) wrong - when I am, I'm quick to poke fun at myself - take anything I post as (often) tongue and cheek - cheers and I do hope you have fun!

MedicineWoman2012
10-31-2011, 17:09
I gotta chime in here! I taught my bf to climb and to hike. We are always snickered at or complemented because I am like a Mom to him on the trail..trying to encourage more miles and more tolerance for my insane interest in climbing :o)

By the way ...to the Brit..sometimes conversations are easily misinterpreted here on the forum because we do not hear the dialect or the slang often used in the UK. I wasnt offended but humored because I perceived ya as a real southern charmer ..trying to please his lady...ha ha!

Wizard 2009
10-31-2011, 19:41
Wait...was there just a civil disagreement and misunderstanding on whiteblaze that didn't degenerate into verbal grenade throwing, thus, forcing the mods to shut down the thread?!

maybe we are growing as social beings...

Papa D
10-31-2011, 21:00
Hey AngelsWings's -- do you still climb in NC? That's my other hobby.

Shutterbug
10-31-2011, 23:26
... Gonna take it real nice and easy and lug extra camping equipment and food for that part...
y

Your missus may surprise you. I hiked solo for years. When we were both 62, my wife decided she wanted to go on a hike with me. She enjoyed it so much that now she often joins me. To my big surprise, she is a really strong hiker. If we balance pack weight (I weigh twice what she weighs, so I carry 2/3 of the total pack weight), she can keep up with me any day. We now do two or three multi-day hikes a year together. Your missus may not require the "nice and easy" part.

Have a great week.

strollingalong
11-01-2011, 02:50
It'd be great if she did enjoy it enough to have a longer crack at it, for sure, I'd be over the moon. That's why this section might be nice as there are 46/53/98 mile options and something in between (that's from memory, don't pick me up on it) so we've got various ideas on the go. Though I'm semi sure she'll love it as an experience but after 50 miles we'll head off for tequila and showers. either way, win all round.

chief
11-01-2011, 16:38
haha... sorry, in the UK. It's an insult... means a joker kindaCool! Kinda like Limey, huh?

strollingalong
11-01-2011, 17:32
not really. Limey is a hilarious word that bemuses most yellow buck-toothed, tea drinking, inbred British folk.

I mean what would you do to stop scurvy?

chief
11-02-2011, 01:09
not really. Limey is a hilarious word that bemuses most yellow buck-toothed, tea drinking, inbred British folk.

I mean what would you do to stop scurvy?Ah yes, wooden ships - sickly iron men - with related parents. I guess a little lime might help!

AndyBees
11-05-2011, 23:14
Well, I didn't see anything sexist about the OPs comment! In fact, as I was reading each post and come across the one with the concerns, I had to go back and re-read the original post to see what I missed...........couldn't believe it!

My wife hikes with me on a regular basis. However, due to health issues, trails and sections we hike are selected for her benefit. So, in my opinion, the OP's questions are of legitimate concern and should have been viewed as such without any question at all. And, I agree that being "correct" with how things are said has gone over the top! I really don't give it a thought anymore!

Wise Old Owl
11-06-2011, 00:52

I mean what would you do to stop scurvy?

That's easy - don't travel to Mexico!

Where buck tooth and missing teeth,inbred coffee snorting wonderfully colourful folk hang out before sneeking across the border......

I hope to god we are both kidding - now where are those silly smileys....Austin Power's UGGHHHH...

Wise Old Owl
11-06-2011, 00:59
I am going to take a guess you were looking for things to do at both ends of the trail to "change it up"...
Here is what I would do with my wife - (if she was going) we did this together a few years ago....

Waynesboro

Willow Pond Farm
145 Tract Rd Fairfield PA

Willow Pond Farm, home of the PA Lavender Festival the third weekend in June, is a family-owned herb farm in Fairfield, located just outside of Gettysburg. Willow Pond Organic Farm is a 38-acre organic vegetable farm and apple orchard.

South River Restaurant and Wine Shop (http://restaurants.uptake.com/virginia/waynesboro/south_river_restaurant_and_wine_shop_19184411.html ) 2910 W Main St, Waynesboro, Virginia 22980

User Rating 3.0

Overview South River offers a vegetarian salad bar (with homemade salads and fresh fruit) and a varie... more on Virginia.org
Overview South River Restaurant & The Paddock Wine specializes in fresh seafood, quality hand-cut Ang... more on Virginia.org

Purple Foot, 540 942 9463 1035 W. Broad St., Waynesboro, Virginia The Purple Foot is a lunch-only restaurant (11-2) wine and gift shop (10-5), started in 1978 and still the IN place to have lunch. In addition to the Back Room Restaurant, there is a lovely outdoor patio garden and fountain

Mountain Gate Family Rest (http://www.mytravelguide.com/restaurants/profile-25416805-United_States_Pennsylvania_Waynesboro_Mountain_Gat e_Family_Rest.html)
10530 Buchanan Trl E , Waynesboro, PA
Phone - (717) 765-6772

Restaurant Type: Family restaurants
User Rating: 8.0 http://www.mytravelguide.com/objimages/siteimages/userrating_8.gif
Food:[9.0] • Service:[9.5] • Atmosphere:[9.0]

Peck's Bar-b-que (http://www.yellowpages.com/waynesboro-va/mip/pecks-bar-b-que-16920045?lid=16920045)
2823 W Main St Waynesboro, VA 22980
(540) 949-6700 Family operated in town – not a biker bar.

Hagerstown

Hagerstown Roundhouse Museum
Po Box 2858 Hagerstown MD - 301-739-4665
The Hagerstown Roundhouse Museum located at 300 South Burhans Boulevard, Hagerstown, Maryland, has exhibits relating to local railroad history and model railroads. The Hagerstown Roundhouse Complex built in 1939. The 25 stall roundhouse and shops were the major facility for maintenance and repairs of locomotives and cars in Western Maryland. The railroads were the largest employers in Washington County for more than 50 years. The Roundhouse facility was demolished on March 13, 1999.

Prime Outlets Shopping....
495 Prime Outlets Boulevard Hagerstown MD
Outlets with over 100 brand names and a short drive from Washington, DC and Baltimore Prime Outlets Hagerstown, is an open-air outlet mall located along Interstate 70, three miles (5 km) east of the highway's junction with Interstate 81, in Hagerstown, Maryland, United States. It is one of two major shopping malls in Washington County (the other being the indoor super-regional Valley Mall).

Harpers Ferry

Stop at the AT Conservancy if open!

http://www.nps.gov/hafe/index.htm

Anvil Restaurant The (http://www.yellowpages.com/harpers-ferry-wv/mip/anvil-restaurant-the-1480634?lid=185320543) 1290 W Washington St, Harpers Ferry, WV 25425 » Map (http://www.yellowpages.com/harpers-ferry-wv/mip/anvil-restaurant-the-1480634/map?lid=185320543) (304) 535-2582

Canal House Creamery & Cafe (http://www.yellowpages.com/harpers-ferry-wv/mip/canal-house-creamery-cafe-6812964?lid=6812964)
1226 W Washington St, Harpers Ferry, WV 25425 » Map (http://www.yellowpages.com/harpers-ferry-wv/mip/canal-house-creamery-cafe-6812964/map?lid=6812964) (304) 535-2880

Don't forget the Ice Cream Shop if there is still room

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g60722-Harpers_Ferry_West_Virginia.html

Harpua
11-09-2011, 18:25
I would suggest the new jersey section for any first time hiker. once you gain some elevation from the Delaware water gap you follow along ridges with great views to the left and right, without a lot of steep up hills. there is also frequent road crossings and delis, where you can get a sandwich and a beer, or to you fish and chips and a pint, im just kidding. I did this section this summer with a inexperienced hiker, and we both had a blast, it was easy walking with great views. Also there is plenty of public transportation and NYC near by

BobTheBuilder
11-09-2011, 18:44
"They're not gonna release the album... because they have decided that the cover is sexist."

"Well, so what? What's wrong with bein' sexy? I mean there's no... "

"Sex-IST! "

"IST! "

strollingalong
11-12-2011, 12:23
I appreciate you were trying to make a joke about Mexico, but actually that was just racis.... no actually, it was just a crappy joke. I suppose I better get used to backwards attitudes seen as I'm going to be living among organised religion believing buck toothed mother molesting southerners ;)

hikerboy57
11-12-2011, 18:00
if you want great climbing and you visit NY, the gunks are about 45 minutes north of Bear Mountain, outside New Paltz, NY, some of the best climbing in the east on quartz conglomerate. be careful of the grades- a 5.6 is a 5.8 out west.