PDA

View Full Version : pick me apart

mofro
03-01-2005, 23:11
Ok... so i think i have it, but would love some suggestions on stuff i might still need or if i have too much or whatever.
I am leaving May 5th (which is late i know) and heading north

Wearing
Nike runnign shorts 5 oz
socks 1.8 oz
wicking shirt 4 oz
Trailrunners need some good suggestions
rei poles

golite infinity 2lbs 4oz
MH phantom 1lb 7oz
prolite 4 reg 1lb 8oz (thinking about something else)
tarp 13oz
groundcloth 4
other tent stuff around 4oz ?

epic rain jacket 14oz
light fleece (considering leaving behind) 7oz
redhead merino lowcut socks 1.8
nylon pants 7oz
soccer shorts 3 oz
extrashirt 4 oz

wallyworld pot 5oz
beer stove .5oz
bladder w/hose 3 oz
spoon/fork .8oz

gg pack cover 3.6
2 sil nyl sacks 1.5
windscreen 1
ligher .4
2 bandannas 2oz
toothbrush/paste 1.8
headlamp 3oz
chapstick .3
sunblock 1
campsoap 1.5 (would like some input on this)
(ie what kind)
super glue 1oz
vitamins 2
blister stuff 2
bug repelent 1
journal 4
dispos. camera 4oz

that puts me around 11lbs if i added correctly
let me know what you think
thanks
also on average what does food a day weigh

A-Train
03-02-2005, 00:43
Why do you need two pairs of shorts? One is fine. Food is generally 2 lbs a day give or take. You probably won't be eating that much at the start though. And do you have two sleeping bags or is one of those a pad?

Jeremy
03-02-2005, 00:52
If you are thinking of replacing your heavy prolite 4 pad, I suggest anything that is closed cell foam. The ridge rest and z rest are popular choices, both made by therm a rest, a notable company. You can also find plain, cheap, blue closed cell pads at almost any store that sells anything camping related. I suggest going with a 3/4 length pad, instead of a full length. It trims the weight down alot, takes up less space, and in my opinion, is just as comfortable. I use a 3/4 ridge rest, I like it better than a z-rest, because it weighs less and has a higher insulative value. I also like it better than flat foam pads, because it is more comfortable, and almost the same price. It costs around $17, much cheaper than a self-inflating pad. You can keep your prolite 4 for high-altitude winter backpacking, or sell it here or on e-bay, and use a closed cell pad all year round. The other benefit is the fact that IT WILL NEVER PUNCTURE, unlike the self inflating pad. If you do bring the prolite, bring some duct tape or a repair kit, you don't want to be leeping on a pad that doesn't hold air. Anyways, that is my two cents, thanks for reading my rant.:-?

mofro
03-02-2005, 01:37
just one of my luxuries... its nice to put on a clean pair of shorts for camp, at only 3 ounces its worth it to me

mofro
03-02-2005, 01:38
i looked at those, but when rolled up they seem to take up alot of space.

erichlf
03-02-2005, 01:47
New Balance are pretty good shoes to use for hiking. I love my tevas. I don't think I would go back to a normal shoe. Sandals for me are the only way to go. If it is sandy or cold I just put some socks on, and that helps for the lack of protection. I wouldn't leave the fleece behind. It is something good to have on a cold night. Also, what I use instead of an actual rain jacket is a wind breaker with the fleece under it. The wind breaker will only keep you dry in a drizzle, but the fleece will prevent the water from getting you wet. The fleece stays dry on the inside, but will be slightly damp on the outside. Doing this can save you anywhere from 6 to 12 oz. The extra shirt and shorts seems like needless extra weight, but as you said that is one of those luxuries you provide for yourself. If you are willing to carry the extra weight then that is fine. If you are going solo you can save even more weight by using a heineken can with the top cut off for your pot. A blue foam pad cut to torso length will probably only weigh in around 2-3 oz. All those together can save you somewhere around 2 lbs to 2.5lbs

hungryhowie
03-02-2005, 08:48
Looks pretty good. Since you are looking for a replacment pad, check out Big Agnes Insulated Air Core pads. They weigh in the 20-22oz range, are insulated with 3" of Primaloft with a rating of 15*F, and pack down as small or smaller than a therm-a-rest ultralight. ~$65.

I used a Z-rest on my hike (and you're right, they do require a ton of space), but couldn't do that now as my hips would kill me. I remember the last few hundered miles of trail were great for hiking...but not for sleeping. Man that pad was a pain.

You also might consider moving to lighter weight rainwear. I notice that you're carrying an epic rain jacket and nylon wind pants. I always recommend rain pants instead of wind pants, and you might check out DriDucks (7oz and $30 for the PAIR), or Frog Toggs (14oz and $70 for the pair), both made from proVent or duraVent fabrics. They offer full waterproof breathable protection, at somewhat less weight that you're carrying now.

-howie

bulldog49
03-02-2005, 09:17
You could go with the lighter Pro3. The short, which should support your torso and hips, is only 13 oz.

Singletrack
03-02-2005, 09:44
You might think about how you are going to take your Wally World pot off the stove. They can get really hot, and have no handle. Some type of pot lifter at 1oz. might help. Uneless you are planning on sleeping with your food, you will need some line to bear bag. Also, ibuprofen will come in handy. Most AT hikers use a large water gatherer to obtain water when at camp, so they have to make only one trip to the spring. A 4 or 6 liter zip platy resevoir works well. Toilet paper is something else you will need. Fragments of leaves are just too hard to wash out. The rest of the gear list looks great. Keep both of the 3 oz, shorts, hike in one, sleep in one. As suggested, a lighter set of waterproof breathable rain wear will be needed. I use a Frogg Toggs. There are some other similar suits that are good.

Tha Wookie
03-02-2005, 10:03
I aggree with using a closed cell pad. The best I have seen is evazote foam, available from some international dealers mostly. I use it to sleep on rocks and concrete routinely here in the islands when out and about.

Everything thing else looks great, as long as you know how to use it (or you'll learn).

Good luck!

jlb2012
03-02-2005, 10:05
to pick up a handleless pot off the stove use a bandana folded into a sixteen layer strap (4 folds) then use your fingers pressing against the strap that is around the pot to lift the pot off the stove - key item is the 16 layers of cloth between your hand and the hot pot - see an old thread "hints from here" for more details

hikerjohnd
03-02-2005, 10:30
If you are going solo you can save even more weight by using a heineken can with the top cut off for your pot.
I thought I'd read somewhere that using beer cans is a bad idea. Some of them have a lining inside to protect the 'flavor of the beer'... Is that an issue? kinda curious :-?

I second the move to a closed cell pad - bulky but worth the weight savings. I like my Gossamer Gear Nitelite (http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/nightlight_torso.html).

MileMonster
03-02-2005, 11:02
My opinion - hard to improve on 11 lbs, lol, but...

Ditch the extra shorts, extra shirt.

Exchange pro-lite for a z-rest.

Mags
03-02-2005, 11:39
I thought I'd read somewhere that using beer cans is a bad idea. Some of them have a lining inside to protect the 'flavor of the beer'... Is that an issue? kinda curious :-?

I've used the same beer can stove for almost 6 yrs now. So far , so good. But, it may explain a lot about my mental state. :)

erichlf
03-02-2005, 12:38
hikerjohnd"[/b]I thought I'd read somewhere that using beer cans is a bad idea. Some of them have a lining inside to protect the 'flavor of the beer'... Is that an issue? kinda curious :-?If you are worried about any coating take some steel wool to it,

peter_pan
03-02-2005, 13:01
Consider swapping out the WW grease pot for a Tin man 2 qt model with no stick....virtually the same wgt...cost $12...the top ridge is rolled out as a pot should, so it doesn't collect food or bacteria....cleans easier if you cook in it....since you are using the alcohol stove, the pot cozie and neophreme cover are worth the small cost... and will save fuel and will give better meals as pasta and rices will continue to cook for a long time in the cozy and stay warm and thus palitable for hours.....Just MHO.

The Solemates
03-02-2005, 14:15
1 oz of bug repellant will last about 1 day. might as well ditch it. or carry enough to actually use.

as others said, save 14oz by using a 3/4 ZRest

jlb2012
03-02-2005, 14:32

IMO - no - the lining of the beer can is not an issue. Note however that I have been only using the beer can pot to boil water - the actual cooking is done in a zip lock bag in a cozy. The lining of the beer can is the same as the plastic used for the zip lock bag and is safe unless you try to fry something in the beer can pot - the water in the pot keeps the temp below 212 deg. F and the plastic is good to about 230 deg. F. I would have to say that a beer can pot is not good for baking (without any water that is) or frying but is good for boiling. I have been using the same can for over a year and have yet to see any separation of the lining from the aluminum. This is over 100 meals cooked with the beer can pot boiling the water. Note however I have never tried to fry anything or bake anything in the beer can pot.

schwenkler
03-02-2005, 19:19
I am surprised you have Superglue but no duct tape!

A Gossamer Gear evazote pad weighs 4 oz instead of 1.5 lb, that's a huge difference if you're willing to sacrifice some padding. The next biggest place to cut weight is the extra clothes... I would keep the fleece for emergencies and cold mornings/evenings, but what are the pants, and extra shirt for?

And the rain jacket, somehow I can't imagine hiking in a rain jacket in Georgia in May, and it's a lot of weight if you're not going to use it. A lighter rain jacket could be 4-6 ounces, and a wind jacket about 2-3 ounces.

mofro
03-02-2005, 23:09
the duct tape is on my poles, and should i just have my rain jacket sent to me further north and just get wet when it rains without it...

A-Train
03-02-2005, 23:27
If you're leaving may 5th, I wouldn't send your jacket ahead. You still have to cross the smokies and lots of other 5000+ foot mountains downsouth and it could be fairly unpleasant in a driving rain on an exposed rideline with no tree cover. It can still get cold, and you COULD see snow then, though its not likely. I would wait till you pass over Mt Rogers in VA atleast. By then it'll be june, warmer, less rain hopefully and you could get away with gettin dumped on and drying out in camp. I did this a lot when the weather got too warm for a jacket, though i never ditched it altogher. To me a jacket is worth the 8 or so ounces to be warm and dry sometimes. I have frogg toggs and they work pretty well.
The list is solid as everyone else says. Thats real light to be starting with.

yogi clyde
03-02-2005, 23:40
I didn't see a knife on your list.
The small classic is fine, but easy to lose.

I found a water container in camp most helpful.

Dr Bonners soap lasts forever and I liked the peppermint feeling.

Bear line, plus it doubles as a clothes line.

I liked one set of clothes to hike in and one to sleep in.

I say start with the rain jacket, you can always send it home.
I got caught in some thunder storms in May, where I had to
get off the trail and ridge and wait it out. The jacket prevented
hypothermia.

Most importantly - Have A Great Hike!

hikerjohnd
03-03-2005, 09:37
I have been only using the beer can pot to boil water
Interesting... How do you keep the can intact when in your pack? Is crushing an issue? Thanks for the info!

mofro
03-03-2005, 12:27
i rap the can up in a bandana so it does not clink and then put inside the pot which fits in the water holder on the side of my pack... works good so far

Singletrack
03-03-2005, 13:42
It's not unusual to have snow here, in the North Georgia Mountains in May. Had six inches here several years back on May 15th. You will certainly have cold rain in May, and May is usually our tornado season. A good rain suit will be something you might want to have. Hypothermia is no fun. Temperatures can range from freezing to the 80's in May.

YerbaJon
03-21-2005, 22:47
2 oz. of the stuff could save you from the #1 killer of hikers: hypothermia.

With the space blanket you would be in a better position to send ahead the jacket.
It is multi-use: It doubles as a perfect ground cover to increase the temperature rating of the bag (reflect the heat back to you from below), which could become more important with the above recommended switch to closed-cell padding.
--
dead men don't hike.

hikerjohnd
03-21-2005, 23:50
YerbaJon -

Does the space blanket ever lose the crinkle factor? I thought about using one as a ground cloth (refelctive properties, lightweight, etc) but didn't know if it would ever stop sounding like a candy wrapper in a movie theater! Thanks for the info!

--John

RagingHampster
03-22-2005, 03:41
Do you plan on using pine needles and smooth rocks for TP? :p
Don't forget maps/guide sectionals...