PDA

View Full Version : Southern Virginia - Early December Weather

Del Q
10-30-2011, 19:07
Looking for some experience sharing, Bland to Damascus, early December........what kind of weather and temperatures should I expect?

Also, suggested resupply points besides Atkins.

Thanks !!

Q

moldy
10-30-2011, 19:13
If you get lucky and avoid any storms you could get lows on the lower 40's, upper 30's and highs in the 60's. Rain and snow is always a possibility. It takes about 8 or 9 days to make this hike if you go fast. There is only about 9 and a half hours of daylight. If possible adjust the start date to the 10 day forecast.

Del Q
10-30-2011, 20:26
Thanks, the weather patterns have been really nutty, will keep and eye on the weather, with Mt Rogers at 6000 ft and other high elevations, could get dicey. I average 12 miles / day = 10 days, especially with the short days.

Blissful
10-30-2011, 20:48
Troutdale for a maildrop. Not sure on resupply there for buying. I know there's a restaurant - my hubby ate there with Lion King while waiting for me (I was hiking)

Blissful
10-30-2011, 20:49
Thanks, the weather patterns have been really nutty, will keep and eye on the weather, with Mt Rogers at 6000 ft and other high elevations, could get dicey. I average 12 miles / day = 10 days, especially with the short days.

Yeah but if you have the gear for it, go for it. If you don't, don't go.

Del Q
10-30-2011, 22:11
Thanks Blissful, what kind of gear are you referring to?

At the higher elevations if we are talking snow shoes vs trail shoes (maybe Yak Trax) I think that I would pass.

I don't mind cold temperatures within reason, I stay plenty warm during the way, freezing or below is fine for hiking, pack a 25 or 15 degree bag, Thermarest pad, maybe a bag liner (have on that I have never used, came free with my Mont Bell 25 degree bag), proper layering, good rain / wind gear, hats, gloves, eVent mittens (which are great), Tarptent, right amount of food, plus some Whiskey

Sound about right?