PDA

View Full Version : A Guy, A Girl, and Their Dog on Thru Hike the Appalachian Trail

attemptedskater
10-30-2011, 22:25
We call it Climb The Dream.
It's a blog about us hiking The AT from April to September 2012:
http://www.theclimbtokatahdin.blogspot.com
Check it out.
You can find us on Twitter and YouTube.
Thank you, WhiteBlaze.net for the constant stream of information and the amazing networking for the trail you have created and maintain.

Miami Joe
10-31-2011, 03:31
Nice vids on your blog. I wish you the best of luck keeping your equipment dry on your thru-hike. I'm friends with some pretty hardcore and veteran photojournalists who can probably give you some useful advice and tips for work in the field under extreme circumstances (ie: countless hurricanes, Haiti earthquake, Iraq). DM me and I'll send you my email if you're intersted. Can't wait to watch your documentary.

Blissful
10-31-2011, 08:17
Just a tiny bit of criticism - your blog is so "busy" with color that I found myself looking at the side panels rather than concentrating on the content.
Also it should be Conservancy. :)

Might be good too if you introduce yourself and who you are, since your first post was advertising your blog... all of us have dreams on here; your intro sounds like a commercial only

Hope your plans go well

WingedMonkey
10-31-2011, 08:45
Glanced at you gear pics. A Ukulele and tambourine? Are you serious?

RevLee
10-31-2011, 09:19
Glanced at you gear pics. A Ukulele and tambourine? Are you serious?

I hear they make great kindling.

The Cleaner
10-31-2011, 10:14
Check it out.
Thank you, WhiteBlaze.net for the constant stream of information and the amazing networking for the trail you have created and maintain. Er,uh, seems like they left out one little important word out of their title.Should be "Thru Hike Attempt".Seems like this time of year all sorts of hikers proudly announce that they will be starting their thru hike next year.Well I hate to be negative but the completion rate is still 20-30% or so.It's hard enough to get yourself,not counting professional type camera gear&musical instruments,all the way to Maine.After a few to many wet days,just keeping yourself dry becomes a problem and you just have to keep going day after day after day....ect.Now throw in the camera stuff.If it wasn't so expensive it would probably end up left behind at a shelter with all the other stuff motards leave behind when reality sets in and your thru hike becomes a hike out to the next town&then find a way home.It is possible to do a Thru without much LD hiking experience and many have done it.Hours&hours of internet research may help but a little experience goes a long way and in their blog I didn't see how much LD hiking they have done.

The Cleaner
10-31-2011, 10:50
Hey maybe I should start a blog to say that I'm starting a Thru next year so that I could clean-up all the shelters on the trail.Wonder if anybody would send me any money?Then what would I do with said funds when I had to bail for any number of reasons?How would my "Reason for Quitting Post " read......just sayin'....Doing research,gear shopping&preparing is great,carrying a too heavy pack day after day to get to a mountian top to see the inside of a cloud is not so great...IMO planning for a thru should include several 100mile+ shakedown hikes....sitting on the AT wet&cold in June is a harsh way to discover the reality of doing a thru hike....

Pete Moss
10-31-2011, 10:55
Good luck...thats all that can be said here

The Cleaner
10-31-2011, 11:14
Check it out.
Thank you, WhiteBlaze.net for the constant stream of information and the amazing networking for the trail you have created and maintain.I'll call it__________?Enough of my discouraging ststements.I never got into or even do the "You Tube" thing.Always thought it was for Johnny Knoxville types to shoecase their daring stupidity not a site to gather useful or helpful info.Best place for good hiker info is from other hikers ON the trail...If they're walking it must be working.....

strollingalong
10-31-2011, 11:58
Hope you don't mind....posted your link in the Blog centre list. See you on the trail! :D

Slo-go'en
10-31-2011, 12:22
It will be interesting to see how far they get with packs pushing 40 pounds and a dog.