PDA

View Full Version : 100 Mile Wilderness

steveinator
10-30-2011, 23:03
I'm headed southbound in June. I've heard that the 100 mile wilderness can be one of the most difficult sections of the trail and us southbounders will be hitting that right off the bat. Any advice I should hear before heading out into the wild? Should I take any extra precautions going into this?

Tinker
10-30-2011, 23:11
There will be blackflies and high water. Long sleeved clothing, treated with a permethrin-based insecticide and deet applied to bare skin are helpful. There are bug suits that you can buy to keep most of them off, but the blackflies like to crawl to the edge of clothing and skin and bite right there. They also like eyes and ears, so bug netting over the head is helpful, too (get black, lighter colors can reflect the son's glare into your eyes). River crossing shoes are helpful, too, especially if you wear leather boots or shoes. Lace-up footwear (or something with secure fasteners) is good for this. Some lightweight camp shoes float, and if they come off in a swift river crossing you could lose them. Plan on mud, too. The swimming is great, though later in the season the water is warmer.
Have fun.

One note on the permethrin insecticide: it is toxic to fish and other aquatic creatures. Take off treated clothing before crossing rivers or swimming for their sakes. :)

DavidNH
10-30-2011, 23:17
my best advice to you is DON'T go in June. Streams will be high (possibly waist high depending on how wet a year) and the bugs will be horrendous. I've heard stories of folks going through bottles of Deet just to get through the 100 mile. Oh and hows about some mud? worse than you could imagine. some years its relatively dry other years it can rain for most of the month. If you could delay till later July or early August it would be far more pleasant.

Megapixel
10-30-2011, 23:22
I'm headed southbound in June. I've heard that the 100 mile wilderness can be one of the most difficult sections of the trail and us southbounders will be hitting that right off the bat. Any advice I should hear before heading out into the wild? Should I take any extra precautions going into this?

+1 on deet. I owned stock in deet after purchasing so much during my hike of Maine last year. Mostly used it for mosquitoes as the black flies weren't bad for me. Here's hoping again for 2012! Another note on deet... apply it before you leave camp, and sometimes before you leave your tent. Several times I found that when i needed it I would be late, spraying the attacking mosquitoes on my skin.

I was unprepared for the straight up and down challenges of the trail on mountains as I am from VA and used to switchbacks.

Extra precautions: even with Abol Bridge after Big K and the White House Landing strategically placed a few days later I found that and extra days worth of food would've been huge, especially from White House to Monson. I walked 15 miles into Monson on a day with 1 packet of oatmeal and a handful of almonds... all because I underestimated my appetite (not the time it would take to get there). Calorie burn is huge in Maine.

I also found an ace bandage would've been nice considering all the root and rock and possible falls as I needed one for my ankle on my way into Rangeley. A bandana around your ankle just doesn't cut it.

Enjoy it, Maine is very rewarding. HOpe to see you out there in 2012. We leave mid to late June.

ChinMusic
10-30-2011, 23:26
One note on the permethrin insecticide: it is toxic to fish and other aquatic creatures. Take off treated clothing before crossing rivers or swimming for their sakes. :)

FYI: Once permethrin has dried on your clothing it is NOT toxic to fish. Only the liquid form is toxic.

DLANOIE
10-30-2011, 23:37
Steveinator, welcome. The OMW is a beautiful part of Maine if not the most. June will be buggy and river crossings will be high. You will have chilly nights and wet feet everyday unless youre a real good rock hopper. Even then its unavoidable. You will see moose if you are lucky, they are common up here. Bring a headnet, lots of deet and something to ford rivers with. Crocs will not cut it through some fords(llong deep and strong current).

Hve a good hike!

4eyedbuzzard
10-30-2011, 23:55
The 100 Mile Wilderness is beautiful and even somewhat tough in sections, especially the last half of it. And ditto on June (especially early June) being buggy, muddy, raging streams, etc. July is a better start time. But the really tough part of the AT starts a little after leaving the 100 mile. The next 300 miles going south through Western ME and NH will really get your attention.

Migrating Bird
10-31-2011, 07:29
I hiked the 100 last year SOBO, exceptionally dry, used deet twice. I climbed Katahdin on May 29th. The black flies were worse in the Whites. Stay at Shaws in Monson and enjoy the breakfast. In '09 my daughter and son in law hiked thru hiked Sobo starting June 3rd, one of the wettest June's on record. The only river they could not ford was the Rattle River south of Rt. 2 in Gorham NH. Starting early means dealing with blowdowns from the winter, cooler nights. Note: black flies are only active during daylight hours and the cooler nights usually eliminate the skeeters. I loved the solitude but you may not. I only saw 4 or 5 hikers between Baxter and Monson and hiked with none, except my son in law. I fished my way south as far as Andover and then sent my fly rod home. Hiking and fishing are not compatible if you have a limited time frame but the wild brooks, rivers, ponds and lakes of ME are tough to pass by.

Blissful
10-31-2011, 08:07
Actually it isn't that difficult - except for the Chairback range and you take it easy through there. You can resupply at White House Landing. I think the tough day is Katahdin, then you are sore for a few days. We left on July 1 - and had just a few issues with deerflies. It is pretty boggy though at times

peakbagger
10-31-2011, 08:30
One thing to consider is that unlike Georgia, there is no option to send things home until Monson and there isnt a Mountain Crossings store to work out your gear a few days into your hike. The first few days from Abol bridge to Whitecap isnt too bad for hauling extra gear but from there on to Monson you will regret it. Therefore figure out your gearlist in advance and test it out in similiar conditions before you go.

Whatever you do, dont get the temptation to dump extra things in a shelter or in the woods, definitely un cool and bad precedent to set for a thru hike.

Cookerhiker
10-31-2011, 08:32
The 100 Mile Wilderness certainly has its challenges which have been chronicled above - bugs, mud, high water etc. - but terrain-wise as Buzzard and Blissful said, it's nowhere near the toughest part of Maine. After leaving Monson, you'll have good-sized ascents up Moxie Bald and Pleasant Pond Mountain but the real grind is upon reaching Safford Notch, you face a butt-kicking climb up Avery Peak, the first mountain of the Bigalows.

Tinker
10-31-2011, 09:45
Actually it isn't that difficult - except for the Chairback range and you take it easy through there. You can resupply at White House Landing. I think the tough day is Katahdin, then you are sore for a few days. We left on July 1 - and had just a few issues with deerflies. It is pretty boggy though at times

I'm not sure of the variety of trail foods available at White House Landing, as I didn't need to resupply at that point, but I appreciated the one pound burger and the pizza was good, too.
As a nobo section hiker, I finished my food at the shelters across the road from the convenience store on the Golden Road at Abol Bridge, then went across the road, ate a bunch of ice cream, candy bars, and pastries. I think I spent about $30.00 that day on junk food. :) (I had to store up some calories for the hike to, and climb up, Katahdin).
I was in a bit of a funk toward the end of the Wilderness, and it dawned on me that, even with the stop at White House Landing, and carrying Ghee, butter, and a small bottle of olive oil, I hadn't taken in enough calories for the 8 day trip.

Tinker
10-31-2011, 09:51
The 100 Mile Wilderness certainly has its challenges which have been chronicled above - bugs, mud, high water etc. - but terrain-wise as Buzzard and Blissful said, it's nowhere near the toughest part of Maine. After leaving Monson, you'll have good-sized ascents up Moxie Bald and Pleasant Pond Mountain but the real grind is upon reaching Safford Notch, you face a butt-kicking climb up Avery Peak, the first mountain of the Bigalows.

I remember the worst back-to-back climbs in Maine being Hall and Moody mountains. It may have been my condition (later that day I had heart palpitations for the first time in my life - turned out to be no concern to the cardiologist who checked me at the end of the hike as they occurred during rest, and went away on the treadmill test. I still get a strange beat once in a while, usually after a hard day of physical work, but it's rare).

buff_jeff
10-31-2011, 10:16
Maybe it's because I went through during a dry year, with essentially no bugs, but the 100 mile wilderness is one of the easiest sections of the trail I can remember. It's just an all around awesome place. I can imagine it being a nightmare with miles of mud, bugs, and high water crossings, though.

Tinker
10-31-2011, 10:32
FYI: Once permethrin has dried on your clothing it is NOT toxic to fish. Only the liquid form is toxic.

Sorry, I don't see that on the label of my Sawyer permethrin bottle. It Does say "do not apply directly water", which would make me think it's safe once it's dry.
The label is VERY clear on the dangers of inhaling it or applying directly to skin (even accidental contact).
I make sure that I wash my hands thoroughly after application and don't breathe while applying it (outdoors, in calm wind - right! ;)).
We can only do the best we can with what we've been given.

-Ghost-
11-03-2011, 21:12
On my NOBO hike this year I must say the 100 Mile Wilderness was one of my least favorite sections to hike...Katahdin was amazing. As well as a few other peaks. But for the most part I remember horrendous deer flies, nothing but rocks/roots/eroded trail and mud. Oh and leeches. And walking along the shore of every lake/pond in Maine. Maybe I was just tired from walking 2080 miles before tho =P

Cookerhiker
11-04-2011, 11:17
On my NOBO hike this year I must say the 100 Mile Wilderness was one of my least favorite sections to hike.... And walking along the shore of every lake/pond in Maine. Maybe I was just tired from walking 2080 miles before tho =P

Sorry you felt that way. I think the lakes and ponds of Maine help make it one of the most scenic and rewarding states. In particular, I consider Pierce Pond Shelter - sited very close to the pond - one of the best shelters location-wise of the entire AT although granted it's not in the 100 Mile Wilderness. And where's there're lakes, there are loons with their beautiful haunting call.

Then again, I didn't thruhike - merely sectioned all of Maine in one hike - not the same I guess.

mudhead
11-04-2011, 14:01
On my NOBO hike this year I must say the 100 Mile Wilderness was one of my least favorite sections to hike...Katahdin was amazing. As well as a few other peaks. But for the most part I remember horrendous deer flies, nothing but rocks/roots/eroded trail and mud. Oh and leeches. And walking along the shore of every lake/pond in Maine. Maybe I was just tired from walking 2080 miles before tho =P

Sounds about right. The deer flies can smell fresh meat from away. Be glad the moose flies missed you.

naturejunkie
11-04-2011, 15:00
My experience heading SOBO from Katahdin in 2007 and 2008, both in June: The blackflies are annoying, but manageable with deet; I had a headnet, but chose not to use it; didn't bring it the second time; overall, the mosquitoes were far worse; the fords are challenging, but manageable; I resupplied at White House Landing with no problem; embrace the rain and mud, because it will embrace you; the Wilderness can be challenging for those not in the best shape, but it's really not that bad, take your time and you'll be fine; If you're already in solid shape, it'll be relatively easy; finally, don't underestimate the challenge of Katahdin.