PDA

View Full Version : North from Davenport Gap?

Transient Being
10-31-2011, 11:25
Last trip I finished up at Davenport Gap, which was also the end of the map that I was using. I just ordered the next two maps, but wanted to know from fellow WB'ers what I can expect. I'm planning on around 80-120 miles north from Davenport. Are there any towns in between where I can get a room for a night if I feel like it? What's the water gonna be like in a week or two? How hard is the hiking through this area? Are the shelters gonna have any room in them? Probably the most important question, besides water, is what would you consider the deadline for a 20 degree bag on this part of the trail? Sorry for all the questions. Maybe one day I can answer some for a rookie like myself.

Transient Being
10-31-2011, 11:31
15 degree bag I mean.

The Cleaner
10-31-2011, 11:57
Expect a lot of uphill hiking then more uphill hiking.Then down into Hot Springs&Erwin.As for water you may find some dry springs (Little Laurel shelter &possibly Spring Mtn Shelter) as the rainfall has been sparce in the local area.And for the weather it's been mild so far with fronts comming every week or so dropping temps a little.I'd advise taking a small NOAA weather radio to stay informed on weather swings which occur in this area,sometimes rapidly with adverse conditions.Other than that,may see you on the trail....

The Cleaner
10-31-2011, 12:54
Last trip I finished up at Davenport Gap, which was also the end of the map that I was using. I just ordered the next two maps, but wanted to know from fellow WB'ers what I can expect. I'm planning on around 80-120 miles north from Davenport. Are there any towns in between where I can get a room for a night if I feel like it? What's the water gonna be like in a week or two? How hard is the hiking through this area? Are the shelters gonna have any room in them? Probably the most important question, besides water, is what would you consider the deadline for a 20 degree bag on this part of the trail? Sorry for all the questions. Maybe one day I can answer some for a rookie like myself.Are the shelters going to have room? I'm sure the mice will move their gear and make room for you......

Transient Being
10-31-2011, 13:58
Haha, funny. I haven't had too many problems with them in the shelters. One made a meal of my sock one night and one time I had a snickers bar get eaten while on the bear cables, other than that, no other problems with them. I've been toting around a 3 pound tent I don't use because I usually just crash in a shelter. I'd like to leave the tent if I'm not gonna need it.

The Cleaner
10-31-2011, 15:57
This time of the year you shouldn't have a problem finding mostly empty shelters.Be advised that there are still a few southbound thru hikers that show up late when you think you're going to be alone for the night.....

Transient Being
10-31-2011, 18:26
What about the 15 deg. bag? When does my window close with that?

The Cleaner
10-31-2011, 19:34
What about the 15 deg. bag? When does my window close with that? I would be think that you would be ok,with execption of a big storm possible.Keep up with weather trends prior to leaving on a Fall/Winter trip.PM me later if you come this way and I'll let you know what's up ...I may be out 11-11 southbound from 19E.....

G-WALK
10-31-2011, 19:43
I hiked this about a month ago, i shot some video on the trip....

http://youtu.be/vA4pgCBGbds

Trail head
10-31-2011, 20:02
I have hiked this section at least three times. It has some great views from snowbird mountain and max patch. Standing bear hostel is worth stopping by, but it is only about 3-4 miles up the trail. The first section from davenport gap to max patch is a tough hike, but from max patch to hotsprings is typical AT. From hot springs to erwin is typical up and down, some tough climbs, but nothing tougher than the climbs in the smokies.

The shelter in between snowbird and max patch is in a valley, so I have always found the spring to be reliable when I have stopped there. The first shelter after max patch has been known to have active bears around, but I have not personally spent the night there. There is great food to be had at the diner in hot springs and plenty of places to stay for a night.

I have hiked this section a couple years ago at this time, and water was scarce. Plan on carrying a little more water than usual, and try to fill up at lower elevations. I had to night hike to the next shelter one night due to not having any water where I had planned on stopping.

As far as your sleeping bag goes, kinda depends on how true the rating is. If it is a marmot, montbell, western mountaineering or other higher end bag, you should be fine. If it is a cheaper untested brand, I would be sure to bring some extra warm clothes just in case. You can find other tips and ideas about how to sleep warmer on other threads on white blaze. If you are concerned about the cold, take your tent and sleep at lower elevations at night which will always be warmer and less exposed.

Enjoy this section, there are some of the best views from the balds and should probably see some straggling southbouders also.

Emerson Bigills
10-31-2011, 20:26
G-Dub, thanks for the video. I really enjoyed the scenery and have been debating hiking that section. Looks like a good few days.

Transient Being
11-01-2011, 08:10
I would be think that you would be ok,with execption of a big storm possible.Keep up with weather trends prior to leaving on a Fall/Winter trip.PM me later if you come this way and I'll let you know what's up ...I may be out 11-11 southbound from 19E.....

Cool man. Thanks.

I hiked this about a month ago, i shot some video on the trip....

http://youtu.be/vA4pgCBGbds

Awesome Dude!

I have hiked this section at least three times. It has some great views from snowbird mountain and max patch. Standing bear hostel is worth stopping by, but it is only about 3-4 miles up the trail. The first section from davenport gap to max patch is a tough hike, but from max patch to hotsprings is typical AT. From hot springs to erwin is typical up and down, some tough climbs, but nothing tougher than the climbs in the smokies.

The shelter in between snowbird and max patch is in a valley, so I have always found the spring to be reliable when I have stopped there. The first shelter after max patch has been known to have active bears around, but I have not personally spent the night there. There is great food to be had at the diner in hot springs and plenty of places to stay for a night.

I have hiked this section a couple years ago at this time, and water was scarce. Plan on carrying a little more water than usual, and try to fill up at lower elevations. I had to night hike to the next shelter one night due to not having any water where I had planned on stopping.

As far as your sleeping bag goes, kinda depends on how true the rating is. If it is a marmot, montbell, western mountaineering or other higher end bag, you should be fine. If it is a cheaper untested brand, I would be sure to bring some extra warm clothes just in case. You can find other tips and ideas about how to sleep warmer on other threads on white blaze. If you are concerned about the cold, take your tent and sleep at lower elevations at night which will always be warmer and less exposed.

Enjoy this section, there are some of the best views from the balds and should probably see some straggling southbouders also.

Great info. Thanks alot! My bag is a Marmot Pinnacle, so I should be good to go. I'll just have to check the weather before I head out.