PDA

View Full Version : The Amazing Race

chknfngrs
03-02-2005, 00:06
Call me a gearhead: I just spotted several lightweight backpacks on the newest episode. The following brands are being used by contestants: Gregory Z Pack, Granite Gear Vapor Trail, and REI Morningstar. There's probably others.

My wife thinks I'm a geek because I know what they're using. Shrug.

colbys
03-02-2005, 03:37
hey how bout cbs film a roadblock task on the trail,or something having to do with a short hike ,or part of the trail on it? just imagine:here comes joe and mike taking a taxi from abington virginia to damascus,run up and go get their next clue from damascus dave. imagine the publicity the at would receive from being on cbs,just from a few minutes of airtime?
im not sure that would be a good thing.

Jaybird
03-02-2005, 08:21
GO, REI MORNINGSTAR, GO! :D

i've been using the REI Morningstar 75 (http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?productId=47690736&storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&langId=-1&color=&img=/media/705786_4857Lrg.jpg&view=large&vcat=REI_SEARCH) for 3 years now...its a very nice pack!

augie
03-02-2005, 08:58
I caught myself doing the same thing as I flipped through. I think I saw a Mountainsmith also.

Lone Wolf
03-02-2005, 10:08
I'd send those pinheads on blue-blaze if they came to Damascus. :D

Tha Wookie
03-02-2005, 10:11
Call me a gearhead: I just spotted several lightweight backpacks on the newest episode. The following brands are being used by contestants: Gregory Z Pack, Granite Gear Vapor Trail, and REI Morningstar. There's probably others.

My wife thinks I'm a geek because I know what they're using. Shrug.
The two tall skinny guys are also wearing Montrail Hurricanes. I didn't see this on TV, but I ran into them while they were filming in LA. Island Mama and I had just walked the west coast, and those guys with their new shiny gear, matching bandanas, and smelly scent cracked us up. We had no clue what they were doing at first. I thought they were thru-hikers until I saw how new everything was and then the cameras.

They'd probably be better off if they walked.

chknfngrs
03-02-2005, 10:33
It is funny to think of how new everything they have is. I wonder if they get it free from CBS... Anyway, I chuckled when I saw the gear we talk about here on the tele.

TankHiker
03-02-2005, 10:49
Ah, this is great! I found myself ogling their fancy new packs as well. And I'm not even much of a gear head.

-Tank

tlbj6142
03-02-2005, 12:55
I can't for the life of me figure out why they carry so much. I wonder if they are given a gear list?

This was the first episode I have ever seen in which they slept outside (on the beach in Peru?). In almost all other cases they end up in some type of comfy shelter (typically a hotel) for the night. So, why the heck do they have so much gear?

I'm also amazed at how many of them complain about the type/amount of physical activity. Its the 7th series. They must have watched it before!

I personally would like them to mix a bit of Survior into the show. Make them buy/cook/carry their own food/water. And "find" shelter for the night. Whether it be in a hotel (reward? Extra cash?) or a tent.

That would really wear folks down a bit more and make the whole event far more challenging.

Bjorkin
03-02-2005, 13:29
I saw my Vapor Trial too! That being said, what do they need a 2 lb. pack for? Reduce the weight for the taxi or the plane? The Amazing Race is amazingly lame. It's not a race. It's a daily sprint. The only racing is from the last challenge to the airport to the cab and to the finish. They could leave out all the challanges and just film the last section.

A real race would give them ALL the objectives up front, a wad of cash, and say GO! That t.v. race is lame. It reminds me of "world travelers" who really just end up going from their home to the airport to the hotel to the shopping district and back home again. "Wow, Thailand was awesome, I got the coolest necklace there!" Gag.

colbys
03-02-2005, 20:46
hell yeah,send them all down the creeper trail if they came to damascus.it should be called "THE AMAZING HOTEL STAY" give me a break with all that crap.heres a task for you:you have 1 hour to climb through the mahousic notch.at the end you will receive your next clue which will be:carry a 40 pound pack for more than the 1 mile you do before throwing it in a taxi and yelling FAST! FAST! in whatever the local language is to the local driver who doesnt speak a word of english in whatever country youre in.

Groucho
03-02-2005, 21:14
GO, REI MORNINGSTAR, GO! :D

i've been using the REI Morningstar 75 (http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?productId=47690736&storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&langId=-1&color=&img=/media/705786_4857Lrg.jpg&view=large&vcat=REI_SEARCH) for 3 years now...its a very nice pack!
Jaybird,

How is the weight on that pack; it's listed as 4lb. 7 oz. How are the pockets? Some are so small that they are just added weight.

Thanks

http://hikinghq.net/forum/images/smilies2/party.gif

fatmatt
03-02-2005, 23:57
I have the Morningstar 65 and I love it.

Wild Hare
03-05-2005, 09:21
I am a relatively new hiking "enthusiastic", but I have been a fan of "The Amazing Race" since it started. OK, I am lame, too, and have a few lame comments to add...

1) I think it is cool that you gearheads know the packs on sight! I have wondered if those were "real" backpacks or Wal-Mart book bags.

2) They carry so much because they didn't read whiteblaze or trailjournals before they left ;-) plus, they only get one carry on, no other luggage.

3) They spend as much time sleeping "out" as they do in a hotel.

4) They are not on their own time frame, often having to leave in the middle of the night, 12 hours after they arrived at that location.

5) It "sounds" cool to have them do something on the trail -- how 'bout some trail maintanence? -- but how many of you would want to arrive at a shelter overrun by several teams and camera crews? Better idea: get a coupla thru-hikers to sign up for the show. Hiking gets it's attention without the trail getting abused.

6) With all this oogling of their gear, CBS would do well to put it on eBay.

Wookie - it seems I read about that in your journal? LOL, now we know where at least part of the finale will be and that those two are still in it ;-)
Boston - o, come on! I loved (boston) Rob on Survivor, but give someone ELSE a chance at some big money. That is a publicity stunt.
Groucho - love the rainbow of smilies doing the wave.

Red Hat
03-05-2005, 11:40
My husband just groaned when I said that I was paying more attention to their gear than the people. Guess that makes me a true gear head!

Groucho
03-09-2005, 20:05
Groucho - love the rainbow of smilies doing the wave.

Smilies from SGT ROCKS'S HIKING H.Q. (http://hikinghq.net/) Check it out, but be careful. You may end up playing with al. cans or swinging from a tree.

Smilie was really for banana haters. Shows that no matter how bad things seem, it could be worse.

http://hikinghq.net/forum/images/smilies2/toilet.gif

Newb
03-09-2005, 22:37
I got a better idea...they should film a series with Paris and Nichole forced to hike the entire AT. I'd tune in every week to see that.

Dances with Mice
03-09-2005, 22:43
Paris and Nichole forced to hike the entire AT.

That would experience the ruinous wild.