PDA

View Full Version : Black Gap Shelter or Springer Mountain Shelter

SoFlHiker
10-31-2011, 12:28
If I am doing a section hike and starting at the approach trail, I see that Black Gap Shelter is 1.5 miles after the 8.8 approach trail and then 0.2 is the Sprinteg Mountain Shelter. We plan on going towards the end of November and using our tent, both shelters seem close to each other, which would you suggest we stay at? Thanks

Monkeywrench
10-31-2011, 12:33
Black Gap Shelter is on the Approach Trail. I think it's something like 1.5 miles before you reach Springer Mtn, though I could be wrong about that.

max patch
10-31-2011, 13:32
Black Gap is at mile 7.3 on the approach. The Springer summit is another 1.5 miles; the Springer shelter and camp sites another 0.2 past that. I'd rather stay on top of Springer all things being equal. You don't have to make your decision until you reach Black Gap. If you're tired or weather is bad or its dark you'll probably stay there. If not you'll move on. If you want privacy there almost certainly will be less people (if any) at Black Gap than Springer.

Trivia for your group when you get there - the Black Gap shelter used to be the Springer shelter. The old Springer shelter was helo'd to the Black Gap site some time in the 90's.