PDA

View Full Version : Smokies Section Hike

ParkRat09
10-31-2011, 20:46
Hey guys I live very close to both trailheads on either end of the Great Smoky Mountain NP (Davenport Gap and Fontana Dam). I am planning on section hiking the whole AT through the Smokies...any suggestions on which end I should start at?

Papa D
10-31-2011, 21:38
Hey man - I'm doing the whole park next weekend - want to go with me? I do big mile days but you are 24 - bet you can hang in there - private message me. I haven't done this whole section since my thru.

Kerosene
11-01-2011, 08:06
Frankly, I don't think that it really matters which direction you go. I just completed the Park NOBO about a month ago. I'd worry more about availability of water this time of year.
Note that there isn't nearly as much daylight this time of year, so you'll likely end up doing some night hiking if you're planning to do big mileage days, in which case you're likely to run into a few bears and boars.

EastCoastFeastCoast
11-01-2011, 12:43
Hey guys I live very close to both trailheads on either end of the Great Smoky Mountain NP (Davenport Gap and Fontana Dam). I am planning on section hiking the whole AT through the Smokies...any suggestions on which end I should start at?

I know who you are... ParkRat09... I know where you live... ParkRat09... I gave you that name... ParkRat09... I gave you a bottle of vodka once... ParkRat09 (could I be any more creepy?)

ParkRat09
11-02-2011, 13:41
Anyone else got any input? Thanks

max patch
11-02-2011, 13:58

(could I be any more creepy?)

no

EastCoastFeastCoast
11-02-2011, 15:05

no

We're friends and fraternity brothers... I've been trying to get him to join this sight for a while now. He finally did and didn't tell me!

ParkRat09
11-02-2011, 16:02
We're friends and fraternity brothers... I've been trying to get him to join this sight for a while now. He finally did and didn't tell me!

I was going to but I saw you responded to my first post a couple days back and I responded to yours...I figured you'd make the connection haha

DripDry
11-02-2011, 17:35
A friend and I did the entire park in mid-Sept. We hiked NOBO and I would suggest that for you, with the understanding that I haven't done it SOBO. There is a pretty good climb out of Fontana at the beginning and another getting up to Clingmans, but the last part was basically a long down into Davenport Gap. Of course, someone who has hiked it SOBO would probably say the same thing given most of the climbs for us were at the beginning! We actually ended up doing 24 on the last day since Cosby was closed (bear activity) and it was reasonable even without real trail legs. Bears (11) and Boars were still pretty active on the first half- didn't see much after Newfound although Cosby was closed. If I can help with planning details send me a PM.

Blissful
11-02-2011, 18:47
Its rather strenuous both ways. I do think it is easier NOBO, and I was in good shape SOBO

aaronthebugbuffet
11-02-2011, 20:30
Regarding the rigor of the actual hike, I don't think there is a huge difference. I've hiked it both ways in it's entirety and in sections. I can not say that one way is definitively easier or more difficult than the other.

ParkRat09
11-02-2011, 21:13
Is 7 days 6 nights for this section a lot longer than most people would do it in? Just seemed to work out that way with the spacing of the shelters

ATN
11-02-2011, 21:37
The total distance from Fontana to Davenport on the trail is ~72 miles. It would depend on what kind of shape you are in, how much you like to stop and take in the scenery or pictures and the like but for most hikers sticking to the trail that would indeed be a slow pace. Since you're 24 and presumably hike regularly I'd plan for 15 miles per day or about 5 days total. A few of the shelters are pretty close together and the idea isn't to stop at every one of them.

Be prepared for temps colder than Knoxville normals and long nights.

jolesen001
11-03-2011, 10:59
Hi,

I'm planning to do the Newfound Gap -> Davenport Gap starting on Saturday 11/12 (Might try to reach the Icewater shelter Friday after work)

So my question is how did your hike go, if you went, was there water and what about the temperature?

Thanks

Kerosene
11-03-2011, 12:37
Is 7 days 6 nights for this section a lot longer than most people would do it in? Just seemed to work out that way with the spacing of the sheltersI covered Fontana to Max Patch (about 17 miles north of Davenport Gap) in 7 days and 6 nights in early October. I felt as if this was a very comfortable pace for me, especially with a balky knee. I could have covered the same distance in one day less if shelter reservations had worked out, but I think I would have been getting into camp very early on a 7 day/6 night pace. Even so, you'll have fun!

wornoutboots
11-03-2011, 16:41
Hi,

I'm planning to do the Newfound Gap -> Davenport Gap starting on Saturday 11/12 (Might try to reach the Icewater shelter Friday after work)

So my question is how did your hike go, if you went, was there water and what about the temperature?

Thanks

You do know that you need to reserve the shelters don't you?

ParkRat09
11-03-2011, 20:44
Hi,

Thanks

I have not gone yet...planning on the week of the 15 to the 22