PDA

View Full Version : In camp shoes - Gators, Flip-flops ?

theoilman
10-31-2011, 21:27
Almost no gear list includes anything for camp shoes, but I've seen many people with different ones.
What is your choice?
Gators? Flip-flops? Or what?
Which is lighter? How much do they weigh?
Do they work for wading stream crossings?

vamelungeon
10-31-2011, 21:29
I used to use flip flops but I bought a moccasin kit (I think Tandy makes it). They weigh less than flip flops and are very soft leather. You can crush them into a very small space.

Papa D
10-31-2011, 21:46
When I thru-hiked, I carried leather Birkenstocks, in the 90s, I used Teva sandals, in the early 2000s, I used Chaco and Patagonia Sandals, now I use Crocs

Sierra Echo
10-31-2011, 22:10
I always carry my Tevas! They are also awesome for crossing creeks!

clsvideo
10-31-2011, 22:15
I usually carry Crocks on overnighters. They weigh a little over a pound though. I won't be carrying them on my three night section hike coming up.

Papa D
10-31-2011, 22:25
Crocs cross most creeks fine - the ones that they don't cross fine, you can cross with bare feet - if you can't do that (or swim) you might be in trouble -- I think that a pair of Crocs weighs almost a pound new - mine are worn down a bit and weigh about 14 oz - Tevas and Chacos weigh about 2 pounds - cheap flip flops weigh about 12 oz and they suck, so I carry Crocs.

Echraide
10-31-2011, 22:27
My old Waldies.

vtrek
10-31-2011, 22:29
I've always used Tevas but am kicking around the idea of crocs because of the weight difference.

ChinMusic
10-31-2011, 22:40
Almost no gear list includes anything for camp shoes, but I've seen many people with different ones.
What is your choice?

Loosening the laces on my trail runners.
Added weight: zero

SouthMark
10-31-2011, 22:56
Loosening the laces on my trail runners.
Added weight: zero
........+1

Gaiter
11-01-2011, 00:02
most flipflops are slick when wet and can be hard for walking around uneven ground, wouldn't even think of trying them on a stream crossing,

get something lightweight and something your foot won't slide out of because you are on steep ground
i personally like crocs, gators, etc, yeah they are ugly, but after a long day of hiking, they feel good on my feet around camp, and they aren't slick
down side: if you wear them enough they wear down on the bottom and become slick....

ekeverette
11-01-2011, 07:34
crocs, they sure feel good after a full day of hiking.

Kerosene
11-01-2011, 07:51
My last section hike I went without, which works fine as long as you don't have a lot of rain and have to stomp around camp in wet boots.
I typically bring lightweight slip on sandals (7 oz), but I'll bring along my Crocs when I start on Maine in a few years (a bulky 12 oz).

fiddlehead
11-01-2011, 08:26
Try these: http://warmstuff.com/product_info.php?cPath=64&products_id=218

Megapixel
11-03-2011, 05:07
Last year hiking most of Maine i found that crocs were unsafe for me trying to cross rivers/streams. I used Vibram 5 fingers to great success, but this year I'm going to give these a try as they seem to provide a good grip as well... and weigh much less: http://zemgear.com/H2O.html

As far as the camp shoe portion goes, i rarely use camp shoes, but when i did, the five fingers fit the bill... they would probably be near impossible if you get blisters, but i didn't have any issues.