PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Trip next May

drgreenthumb
11-01-2011, 23:21
I am planning a hiking trip with approximately 4-5 friends for the middle of May. We plan on doing the approach trail to Springer Mountain and then continuing on the AT until Highway 64 in North Carolina. My question is does Highway 64 actually pass through the AT? My plan was once on the highway to hitch hike back to the closest city. I have also never hiked the AT, we are all relatively in shape. Am I being over assumptive in the fact that we can hike about 15 miles a day? We will be hiking for 8 days. Just looking for some overall advise from people that have hiked this section before. I would appreciate any comments! Thanks! Keith

joshuasdad
11-02-2011, 04:31
I am planning a similar section, but have not hiked it before. US 64 passes over the AT at Winding Stair Gap, and it should be easy to get to Franklin, NC from there (hotels give cheap/free shuttles for example). My guess is that 15 miles per day is possible, but that is faster than the norm for that section. You will likely get suggestions to slow your pace down, or use a slackpacking strategy if you want to cover more miles.

moytoy
11-02-2011, 04:45
If you and your friends want to hike together you better not plan on 15 miles days. Some of you may be able to do it but i'm betting out of five there will be one or two that can't.

Cookerhiker
11-02-2011, 08:04
Agree with Moytoy. This is not to disbelieve you regarding your conditioning but you're only as strong collectively as your weakest hiker. Also, being in shape doesn't necessarily translate into 15 mpd. Remember you're carrying heavy packs and going up and down constantly. Think of the effects on feet, knees, quads, hips.

Re transportation, consider obtaining a shuttle. Here's the ATC list (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs/default-document-library/ATShuttlesParking101311.pdf?Status=Master). Ron Haven owns motels in both Hiawassee and Franklin and can arrange shuttle for youl

bigcranky
11-02-2011, 08:09
+1 to the above. If you make it to Winding Stair Gap (US 64), it's a ridiculously easy hitch to Franklin, NC, the nearest town (and a nice one.)

Averaging 15mpd is certainly possible, though most first-time AT sectioners find that pace challenging. The good news is that there are plenty of other road crossings where you can hitch to town and get a ride back to your car/airport. Call up The Hiker Hostel and ask about having them pick you up at the MARTA station the day you arrive. They can also shuttle you back when you are done hiking.

Have fun. May is an enjoyable time to be on the trail in Georgia.

Blissful
11-02-2011, 09:39
I wouldn't average 15 personally. Give yourself some leeway.

flemdawg1
11-02-2011, 10:14
I am planning a hiking trip with approximately 4-5 friends for the middle of May. We plan on doing the approach trail to Springer Mountain and then continuing on the AT until Highway 64 in North Carolina. My question is does Highway 64 actually pass through the AT? My plan was once on the highway to hitch hike back to the closest city. I have also never hiked the AT, we are all relatively in shape. Am I being over assumptive in the fact that we can hike about 15 miles a day? We will be hiking for 8 days. Just looking for some overall advise from people that have hiked this section before. I would appreciate any comments! Thanks! Keith

I did this trip last April.
Parked car at Franklin Budget Inn (http://franklinbudgetinn.com/index.html) on Mar 31
Met Generoll there for shuttle to Springer (PM him thru the board)
Hiked to Winding Stair Gap on April 10th (resupplied at Walasi Yi (Neels Gap) and Helen, GA)
Caught Franklin Budget Inn bus at 10AM back to hotel and showered ($5) and picked up car.

Slo-go'en
11-02-2011, 10:44
You will probably want to camp at or near shelters, so the spacing of the shelters will greatly influence how far you go each day. In that section, most shelters are spaced about 7 miles apart. So, you can do 7 mile days or 14 mile days. 14 miles in GA really isn't all that hard. But just as your thinking "this is pretty easy", you get to NC.

If you have tents (which you should as it can still be pretty busy down there in the middle of May), you don't have to camp at or near shelters. The most practical place for groups to camp would be in the various "gaps" along the way, as these usually have a flat-ish spot big enough to handle 4-5 tents. Many have fire pits and logs to sit on too. However, these places don't have easy access to water, so you need to plan ahead and carry enough with you for dinner and breakfist the next day.

You will definately want to get a trail guide book to help plan the trip and so you'll kinda know where you are during it.

Rain Man
11-02-2011, 14:08
... My question is does Highway 64 actually pass through the AT? ... Am I being over assumptive in the fact that we can hike about 15 miles a day? ... I would appreciate any comments! Thanks! Keith

I agree with those who have cautioned about planning on 15-mile days. That is pushing it for most folks, or at least hiking dawn-til-dusk. You do that for 8 days and you might not be having fun. Better to finish early, than late or have to cut the hike short.

You might like to know about the online "interactive" map of the AT, on the ATC's web site-- ATC (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/). Look under "Hiking" and then "Find a Hike" and select the "Interactive Map." It has several options for what and how it displays. But you can zoom right in and see Hwy 64 and the AT intersecting.

I'd also suggest contacting the Georgia AT Club or check out their web site for trail updates and such. GATC (http://www.georgia-atclub.org/). They give a certificate and a patch for anyone completing all of the AT in Georgia.

That's a great section to hike, especially in the Spring. Enjoy!

Rain:sunMan

drgreenthumb
11-02-2011, 15:10
Thank you all for all of the wonderful advise. I am going to talk to the fella's coming with me about cutting it back. You are all probably right, and we have a weak person or two that may not be able to handle near 15 miles a day. Thank you Rain Man for notifying me about the GATC! That will be great! And the advise about the interactive trail. Does anyone have any other road crossings of the AT in the beginning of NC that they can share? My main concern is getting back to a city that a Greyhound picks up in.