PDA

View Full Version : Bring Tent JIC?

ParkRat09
11-02-2011, 01:00
I am section hiking the AT in the Smokies solo here in a couple weeks. Should take me about 6 nights. Obviously planning on staying in shelters, but should I bring my tent with me too (2 person) just in case?

kayak karl
11-02-2011, 01:15
i ALWAYS carry my shelter. just makes good sense.

Big Dawg
11-02-2011, 02:10
if not your 2 person tent, at least a lightweight tarp.

Rocket Jones
11-02-2011, 06:23
Yes. Like you said, just in case.

10-K
11-02-2011, 06:42
Make a pro/con list and see what you come up with.....

Ender
11-02-2011, 08:40
Always, 100% of the time, bring some form of personal shelter with you, even if it's just a simple tarp.

Blissful
11-02-2011, 09:37
People were camping all over the shelter area this time last fall. Not much ridgeurnner patrolling that time of year.

flemdawg1
11-02-2011, 10:21
I would advise against just bringing a tarp this time of year, unless you have a bivy with it. Blowing snow and sleet under a tarp sounds like a miserable night to me. Bring the tent, unless you're mean/tough enough to enforce your shelter reservations with force.

TrilliumTrekker
11-02-2011, 14:08
Regulations require use of shelter and no tents allowed this time of year in shelter area. Reservations for shelter space required this time of year. You have to specify which nite you will be at which shelter. (Thru hiker season is different.)

With a reservation you should be fine. A true emergecy sheet of plastic to wrap up in would be light enough to carry. Most Smoky shelters now have covered cooking portch that could be used if you are forced to by rule breakers, interlopers, scoff-laws, inconsiderates and the uninformed off the sleeping platform.

Ender
11-02-2011, 14:13
It's not just about being at a shelter and finding it full, it's also about those rare situations where you don't end up at a shelter due to injury, timing mistake, got lost, whatever. You should always have some form of personal shelter on you. A simple tarp is fine (assuming you know how to set it up).

ParkRat09
11-02-2011, 21:15
I have a large Eno rainfly for a hammock I have...would the rainfly be enough to bring or should I bring my MSR Hubba Hubba instead?

Ender
11-03-2011, 10:26
I have a large Eno rainfly for a hammock I have...would the rainfly be enough to bring or should I bring my MSR Hubba Hubba instead?

Assuming you know how to set it up then it should be fine. I've used my Hennessey Hammock rainfly, which is tiny, for my emergency shelter on a few overnights. It doesn't need to be much, just something to keep the rain off of you while sleeping if you're in a pinch.

ParkRat09
11-03-2011, 21:13
Assuming you know how to set it up then it should be fine. I've used my Hennessey Hammock rainfly, which is tiny, for my emergency shelter on a few overnights. It doesn't need to be much, just something to keep the rain off of you while sleeping if you're in a pinch.
Nothing for the ground? I've used it several times over my hammock. It's an ENO profly so there are plenty of sinch points so it's pretty easy to set up. Should be enough if I make reservations at the shelters right? JIC room is an issue at 1 or 2 for some reason?

EastCoastFeastCoast
11-03-2011, 21:37
Nothing for the ground? I've used it several times over my hammock. It's an ENO profly so there are plenty of sinch points so it's pretty easy to set up. Should be enough if I make reservations at the shelters right? JIC room is an issue at 1 or 2 for some reason?

You are using the X-frame, right? If so your nice expensive sleeping bag would be on the ground, which doesn't sound all that great. You could use your trash bag under the sleeping bag in a pinch (which I think would be the scenario) or just use the Hubba Hubba. I think the Hammock tarp + trash bag would be enough for a JIC scenario.

ParkRat09
11-03-2011, 22:10
You are using the X-frame, right? If so your nice expensive sleeping bag would be on the ground, which doesn't sound all that great. You could use your trash bag under the sleeping bag in a pinch (which I think would be the scenario) or just use the Hubba Hubba. I think the Hammock tarp + trash bag would be enough for a JIC scenario.
I can actually put the x-fram underneath my sleeping back and sleep on it just find. I tested this @ Davenport Gap last week and it worked great

SassyWindsor
11-03-2011, 23:40
A shelter (I use a large solo tent, but tarp is OK if you know how to use one), warm sleeping bag and a pad/mattress should always be carried. Especially if it's not summer. Never depend on space in a shelter, even if you have reservations. If you have ever been caught in a "white-out", had to stop, It's very nice having a tent you can just get up, get into and into a warm sleeping bag before freezing to death. This happens once and you'll never forget to pack a shelter, and a warm bag....Every trip.

rocketsocks
11-04-2011, 06:14
Just in case of what?....Big hole in shelter roof,no roof,shelter not where I left it?World peace:D

Ender
11-04-2011, 09:10

Well, I always carry at least a small groundcloth... I use it to sleep on, of course, and also as a clean area to pack up my bag in the morning. I even use it in shelters. And of course a sleeping pad.

That said, you'll likely have no problems at all with reservations at the shelters. But you should never go out without some way to rig a roof over your head.