PDA

View Full Version : The evolving backpacker.... Things you said you'd never do and now do.....

10-K
11-02-2011, 07:02
So, I've been reading along for a few years and have noticed that over time most of us continue to tweak and update our philosophies and figuring out what works best for us at any given time.

What are some of the things you do now that you thought you'd never do or do now that you used to think was "wrong".

Two things come to mind immediately for me....

1. I can remember when I never would go hiking without my candle lantern (blush).

2. I could never imagine going on a hike without a stove, hot food and coffee.

daddytwosticks
11-02-2011, 07:14
Good topic! I used to bring liquid soap for clean up. You know, the type of soap you can buy at Wal-Mart for camping (Camp Suds?). No soap at all now. Just a small portion of alcohol-based hand sanitizer. :)

urbansix
11-02-2011, 07:32
Most recently it has been the switch from alcohol stove to canister stove. I used to swear by alcohol stoves, as part of my general philosophy of cheapness and simplicity Then I was preparing for a longer hike (more than just a long weekend) and did the fuel math. The amount of alcohol fuel I would need to carry went up exponentially with the length of the hike. Thanks to an REI divident check, I bit the bulet and bought a Snow Peak LiteMax. Totally sold on it, now, as well as the faster boiling time.

I also used to think you'd never catch me with a Camelbak. Again, I thought of it as too fancy and high tech. However, a combination of a new backpack with no useful bottle pouches, and a drought summer on the trails that made me switch to pump-style water filtration (had been using chemical before, but finding streams deep enough to dip in to was a problem that year.) led me to the Camelbak. Again, one of those things I've adapted to and never looked back.

Papa D
11-02-2011, 07:56
Here are a few of mine - I'm sure there are more:

1) I still use my Whisper-light in the winter but have pretty much given up liquid fuel stoves for 3 season backpacking in favor of the pocket rocket - converted in 2007 / 2008
2) I've been converted to Aqua-Mira - no more water pump (unless I'm car camping next to a creek - or similar situation) - converted in 2007 / 2008
3) No more boots - unless there is more than 3 inches of snow on the ground (or expected) - converted about 2005 or 2006
4) I carry a cell phone (I keep it powered-off) - really never did this - leaving it on takes away from the wilderness experience but having it is damn convenient - converted 2008

Cookerhiker
11-02-2011, 07:56
I never dry-camped; it was a given that I had to camp by a water source. Now I'm more willing to lug some extra water when needed for some stretches. It might entail cooking dinner at the last water source @3 PM or earlier and then moving on. It's good, giving me options I didn't have when insisting on camping by water, most recently on my Colorado Trail thruhike.

10-K
11-02-2011, 08:07
Boots (now trail runners) and dry camping are also other ones for me.

Tangentially, one thing I learned pretty quick is that foil packets of tuna and chicken turn into chicken/tuna bricks after a few hours of extended exposure to 25* temps....

bigcranky
11-02-2011, 08:14
I went through a very short and steep switch to lightweight hiking about 10 years ago. Before that, I swore I would never (1) wear "sneakers" for hiking, (2) carry some wimpy sub-40 pound pack, or (3) go into the woods without my huge collection of repair and safety items.

The switch took maybe two years, going from 50+ pounds on my back to ~25. Since then I've been using the same basic lightweight gear style, though switching specific items when I feel the urge. That switch also helped me overcome my "I'll never do THAT" reaction to new gear or technique.

nitewalker
11-02-2011, 08:18
1. hiking boots are now left home for trail runners more often than not.

2. i swore to never bring a tent again after buying my O R Deluxe bivy. wrong!!!

3.always remember to cut toenails before a hike. i never gave it a thought when younger but as father time moves forward so do we.

4. when camping i make it a point to sleep where the sun will rise especially when the colder season is here.

moytoy
11-02-2011, 08:35
Trail runners and hiking poles.

clsvideo
11-02-2011, 08:37
1. Said I couldn't sleep in a tiny solo tent. Now I bring it even for car camping.
2. Said I couldn't camp without a camp fire. Not a big deal to me now.
3. Said I couldn't eat freeze dried dinners. Now I love them and have even eaten them at home.

Raul Perez
11-02-2011, 08:38
yeah I swore I would never:

Use trail runners
Go Ultra Light
Use a top quilt
Spend that much money on a cuben fiber tarp
Wear a kilt

Yeah.... well.... we all make mistakes ;)

coach lou
11-02-2011, 09:00
Why do I still bring my candle lantern AND spare batteries for my headlamp! Still bring my pot grabber, still bring twice as much cord as I actually need. Spare clothing that I never wear! I have abandoned the store bought survival kit that I got from my dad on my first Boy scout 50 miler [1971], but I do like these newfangled sticks that my wife likes to walk with! I'm not ready to trade-in my Kelty external frame pack yet!

10-K
11-02-2011, 09:12
Why do I still bring my candle lantern AND spare batteries for my headlamp! Still bring my pot grabber, still bring twice as much cord as I actually need. Spare clothing that I never wear! I have abandoned the store bought survival kit that I got from my dad on my first Boy scout 50 miler [1971], but I do like these newfangled sticks that my wife likes to walk with! I'm not ready to trade-in my Kelty external frame pack yet!

If there were a "Like" button I'd click it....

I hope I didn't imply that because I used to do something and no longer do it that now I'm right and then I was wrong.

The point I'm illustrating is that I've observed myself and many others on the board changing up and doing things we once thought were wrong or would never do. I enjoy reading how we tweak what works for us over time.

ChrisJackson
11-02-2011, 09:35
I'm out of the boots. Converted to a combination of trainers and sandals. And, am considering trekking poles. I would never have remotely considered either of these some years ago!

Blissful
11-02-2011, 09:35
No one can make me give up my two cocoon pillows and my seat cushion. Never. :)

coach lou
11-02-2011, 09:41
For me, the headlamp, platypus, trekking poles, and pocket rocket have helped keep my old body on the AT.

Cookerhiker
11-02-2011, 09:45
Did a full circle/360 on a camp pillow. For 25 years, I never carried a pillow but began carrying one 10 years ago. Now beginning with the CT thruhike and continuing with my Superior Trail hike in September, I've jettisoned the pillow.

And yes like others even one year ago, I never thought I'd depart from boots but now I'm wearing trail runners.

Who says us older guys don't change with the times?:)

Blissful
11-02-2011, 09:46
And yes like others even one year ago, I never thought I'd depart from boots but now I'm wearing trail runners.

Yes I must admit I was one who swore by boots and my synthetic bag...only

I now have trail runners and my lovely Montbell down bag.

Tipi Walter
11-02-2011, 09:46
** I thought I'd never go out without my beloved Sierra Cup. Wrong.
** I knew I would never buy, need or use the yellow NeoAir when it came out. Then the 5R All Season NeoAir came out and I used one on my last trip.
** As with Papa D I never needed or wanted to carry a cellphone. Then my trips changed and I needed a way to contact my ride and plan the trip's end evac.
** I never thought I'd be carrying 40+ lbs of food on a single trip. Wrong again.
** I always thought if I looked hard enough I could find a woman to share living outdoors on either long backpacking trips or permanently in a Tipi situation. Wrong.
** I never thought North Face would discontinue the Tuolumne A-frame tent.
** I never thought Mt Hardwear would discontinue the Muir Trail tent.
** I never thought North Face would discontinue the Westwind hoop tent.
** Ergo, I never thought I'd end up getting or using a Hilleberg tent.
** I vowed never to dump my beloved Svea 123 stove for one of those new fangled MSR stoves with all the gaskets and tubes and leather/rubber cubs and valves, etc. Wrong once again.
** I vowed never to want or need to deep six my external frame pack for one of those fancy and expensive internals. Big Time Wrong on this one---see Mystery Ranch.
** I thought purchasing a pair of Limmer boots would once and for all solve my boot quandaries and footwear selection choices---wrong wrong wrong.
** I never ever thought and categorically denied I'd ever purchase a pair of down pants and down booties---what girlie-man extravagance!!---SO WRONG.

** Thirty years ago I could camp in peace along the ridgetops in the mountains of NC and TN---and I never thought the peace and quiet would be invaded by hordes of roaring and screaming motorcyclists on the paved roads below in the valleys. I was VERY WRONG but I can't get used to it.
** Finally, I never thought my human species would over the years take hold of some of my favorite camping spots and ruin them with clearcuts and logging.

Amanita
11-02-2011, 09:47
After my first trip in slushy, crusty, spring snow conditions I swore I'd never hike in real snow again. I haven't broke that yet, but I'm already so itchy to get out there I don't think I'll make it until snowmelt next spring.

ki0eh
11-02-2011, 10:15
[QUOTE=Tipi Walter;1214571
** Thirty years ago I could camp in peace along the ridgetops in the mountains of NC and TN---and I never thought the peace and quiet would be invaded by hordes of roaring and screaming motorcyclists on the paved roads below in the valleys. I was VERY WRONG but I can't get used to it.
** Finally, I never thought my human species would over the years take hold of some of my favorite camping spots and ruin them with clearcuts and logging.[/QUOTE]

Up here in PA ten years ago those were the worries . I miss those days now that the gas frackers are in the "PA Wilds". Unlike the bikers the frack trucks run 24/7, with more compressor stations (eight jet engines apiece) coming.

Mags
11-02-2011, 10:19
Over the years my outdoor horizons have expanded. I never thought I'd ski (that's a rich kid's sport. Right? Only the kids who live in Wood Estates do that and spend their weekends up in Vermont) and I'd never climb (spending all day off a road side? No thank you)

Well, now I love *backcountry* skiing. Never knew such a thing existed until I moved out here. And it's not expensive at all. Buy the gear (preferably used) and the backcountry is yours. It has opened up the winter landscape into something I love and cherish.

http://pmags2.jzapin.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/mags_aboutme.jpg

As for climbing, it has become a great after work activity. Much more fun than a gym for working certain muscles and lets me experience the outdoors in a different way.

I still won't spend a day doing that type of climbing, but this climbing has lead to alpine climbing. Take the long approach of hiking with some of the technical challenges of climbing and you are able to experience the mountain in a way not as many people get to see. Most hikers don't climb; most climbers don't like to hike. Alpine climbing means you do both. All day and sometimes into the night. :)

http://www.pmags.com/gallery2/d/25410-1/image029.jpg

Cookerhiker
11-02-2011, 11:45
For me, the most significant thing-I thought-I'd-never-do is long-distance backpacking.

When I retired in 2003, I'd backpacked for over 25 years and had completed about 800 miles of the AT in scattered parcels from New Hampshire to Tennessee. However, I never hiked more than 4-5 days and often less. The only exception was a week in VT but it was disjointed sections so I didn't have to carry more than 4 days of food nor worry about resupply.

I wanted to finish the AT but even in '03 with the time on my hands, all I did was 4-5 night section hikes using hitching and public transportation. Looking at the AT Data Book, I visualized how I could finish the AT this way, figuring it would take at least 5-6 years. A 100 mile or greater hike involving resupplying and transporation arrangement was off the radar; inconceivable

So what changed? When my friend Northern Harrier retired at the end of '03 and planned an '04 thruhike, he asked if I wanted to come. Of course I declined, partly because I didn't want to re-hike those 800 miles but also because it just wasn't my paradigm. He and I were college buddies who kept in touch marginally over the years and had only recently discovered that we both liked hiking. I offered to drive him to Georgia for his thruhike and he accepted. We got together for a visit on New Year's Day 2004, the first time we had seen each other in 30 years. As his February 29 departure date approached, I thought more and more and finally asked him with only 2 weeks notice "Do you mind if I accompany you the first 100 miles?" up to Winding Stair Gap.

So for the first time, I planned logistics and resupply using my new Companion. Bought some new gear (I had also never backpacked in winter) and took the plunge. Bottom-line, the hike worked and I was hooked. Did some other short hikes in Spring and Summer but set a new personal high with 180 miles from Allen Gap to Winding Stair in October.

As they say, the rest is history. But if you had told me in September '03 that I'd be standing on Katahdin in 2 years with the AT complete, I never would have believed it. And if I hadn't joined Harrier on that hike, who knows where I'd be now?

coach lou
11-02-2011, 12:00
[QUOTE=Tipi Walter;1214571.
** I always thought if I looked hard enough I could find a woman to share living outdoors on either long backpacking trips or permanently in a Tipi situation. Wrong.

Found one! Hiked AT with me, canoed Adirondaks, rafted the Penobscot, fished Rock Creek,Mt. Then told me " she was not sh_ttin' in the woods no more!"and then she left. Married an old girlfriend... we went back to Sages Ravine after 30 years. On the third day out she asked me if I was trying to kill her and collect the insurance!!!!!!

Old Hiker
11-02-2011, 12:13
1. Never thought I'd leave home without my 3-D cell Mag-light flashlight for a 3-AAA headlamp.
2. Never thought I'd go without a campfire at night.
3. Never thought I'd look for, take or give advice on the internet. Many thanks for all the help that you probably don't realize you people have given me.
4. Never thought I'd have a down bag.
5. Never thought I'd look for a sub-4 pound pack. Still miss my JanSport Alaska tall. Almost 8 pounds!!
6. Never thought I'd buy stuff online.

Tipi Walter
11-02-2011, 12:14
[QUOTE=Tipi Walter;1214571.

Found one! Hiked AT with me, canoed Adirondaks, rafted the Penobscot, fished Rock Creek,Mt. Then told me " she was not sh_ttin' in the woods no more!"and then she left. Married an old girlfriend... we went back to Sages Ravine after 30 years. On the third day out she asked me if I was trying to kill her and collect the insurance!!!!!!

Wow what a great story. Is there a "Men Only" thread? If so, we should share our stories on the Great Failures In Convincing the Wimmin To Live Outdoors.

Tipi Walter
11-02-2011, 12:17
1. Never thought I'd leave home without my 3-D cell Mag-light flashlight for a 3-AAA headlamp.

Oops, I forgot that one. I NEVER EVER thought I'd trade in my mini mag double AA flashlight for a headlamp. How many years did I hold that blasted thing in my mouth and watch the drool drip off the thing?

coach lou
11-02-2011, 12:22
Now the first wife offered to pay half of the Puma, for a Christmas present. So I told her it only cost $350.[ we were married 24 years]. My current wife knows how much it was, and she still asked to borrow it for girl scouts. I let her!

Old Hiker
11-02-2011, 12:41
Oops, I forgot that one. I NEVER EVER thought I'd trade in my mini mag double AA flashlight for a headlamp. How many years did I hold that blasted thing in my mouth and watch the drool drip off the thing?

AFTER it had dropped in the mud puddle. At night. Every time.

The Old Boot
11-02-2011, 12:46
[QUOTE=coach lou;1214617]

Wow what a great story. Is there a "Men Only" thread? If so, we should share our stories on the Great Failures In Convincing the Wimmin To Live Outdoors.

Only if the other half of the species is allowed to chime in and moan about the same thing!

Oh, the stories I could tell about trying interior camping and canoe trips with a couple of ex's....lol.

coach lou
11-02-2011, 12:48
Fire away, old boot!!!

Tipi Walter
11-02-2011, 13:06
Fire away, old boot!!!

Yes. I never tire of hearing the stories of gender-related bail outs and Severe Confrontations while out in the backcountry.

coach lou
11-02-2011, 13:14
I think we have taken this thread on a side trail.

Kerosene
11-02-2011, 13:34
I'll try to get the thread back on track...

Long ago I vowed to never bring a cell phone, but I've lugged one for my past 5 trips even though I know I can't depend on it even in some small towns. Makes it convenient to handle section hiking logistics. I'm not convinced I'd bring one for a multi-month hike, however.
I've switched away from waterproof boots (not yet trail runners though) which keeps my feet from sweating quite so much. I've also been able to switch to lighter socks, which dry faster.
I picked up the trekking poles about 7 years ago and my knees thank me, even though my hands get sweaty from holding them all day long.
I finally picked up an internal frame pack when I found that my Kelty Tioga frame had oxidized after so many years sitting in the back of my garage. I don't see any reason to go back, although I still keep eyeing the LuxuryLite external pack setup.

Dad
11-02-2011, 13:58
I guess my underlying philosophy is that things can change. Grew up on a dairy farm in the Midwest with 13 brothers and sisters. Learned a lot of “flexibility”. Sooner or later you have to just try something. After that you may just try something else and like it better, or not. My first trip I carried over 55 lbs. Learned from those around me and places like this site and decided to change things – second trip was a little over 30 lbs with other changes as the trips continue. The main thing about the heavier gear is that it was MINE – paid for and available. I still have it, and if one of my kids asked me to go on a hike together, I’d probably use the old heavy stuff myself again, and let them use the lighter stuff. Worth it for the time to spend together, and appropriate for the situation. So, I don’t think of many things as wrong for me or others. Well, except “hike naked day”. I still think that would be wrong for me. Wouldn’t be pretty.

The Old Boot
11-02-2011, 14:33
I think we have taken this thread on a side trail.

Aren't side trails usually the best way to see things that the rest of the world will never notice?

It's kinda like travelling the backroads instead of the interstate!

Chance09
11-02-2011, 14:50
I just stopped carrying stuff. I just finished up the CDT and towards the end of the hike my ULA conduit had a sleeping bag, a sleeping pad, my tarp, a pair of long johns, a windshirt, my iphone, and a camera. I basically sent home everything that I didn't use for more than an hour or two a day and then my stove as well for good measure.

The surprising thing is that I didn't miss the stove and being cold from the time I started hiking until the sun hit me wasn't that bad either.

Echraide
11-02-2011, 15:01
1. I never thought I'd use hiking poles. I didn't swear against them, I just figured they weren't for me until I spent a week falling down in snow. Now I never hike without them. I can't even begin to tally up the number of falls they've prevented.

2. I never thought I'd carry electronics aside from a headlamp. Now I often carry a cell phone, sometimes an UL radio and even a little MP3 player after I discovered what a marvelous reward it is to have your favorite music greet you at the end of the day.

Ktaadn
11-02-2011, 15:14
The biggest thing for me by far is that I never thought I would want to thru hike the entire AT. I always looked at it as hiking for 6 months straight which doesn't sound very appealing. After reading more and learning more about lightweight/ultralight backpacking, a thru hike of 3-4 months sounds much more appealing. I'm now actually really excited about thru hiking.

Now if I can just figure out how to convince the wife to allow it and figure out how to get 3-4 months off of work...

peakbagger
11-02-2011, 15:31
I used heavy leather boots for years hiking in the whites and backpacking as I thought I needed better ankle support. I always had the hassle of breaking in the boots and rebreaking them after they sat for the winter. I even bought cutom limmers and wore out the vibram soles in three years. During a couple of years of spring backpack trips where I would get blisters, I switched to trail runners and have never looked back.

I probably do longer hikes in the whites these days with trail runners and find that I have 10% of the prior ankle problems and a lot less foot issues overall

clsvideo
11-02-2011, 15:47

Ha, I do that with my maglight at work and wish I had my headlamp.

HeartFire
11-02-2011, 15:55
I'm still trying to give up the water filter, but I don't like chemicals
I did give up the boots and now use low cut hiking shoes - not trail runners, but I've had foot surgery and need the support.
I just can't give up the tent for a tarp. If I did I would have to change my business and sew tarps rather than tents (sigh)
Judy (LightHeart Gear!)

Mr. Bumpy
11-02-2011, 16:15
The weekend after 9-11 and the subsequent media bombardment, my wife and I slipped into the Smokies for a three night's of quiet and saw maybe three other parties. On the last day back to the car (from #47) I found myself hiking fast in anxious anticipation and couldn't wait until we got to the car to turn on the news to see what other bad stuff had gone down. That scenario got stuck in my brain and from then on the last day of a trip became a race to get back to the car to turn on the news for the bad news that I was just sure was out there.
I thought I'd never drop that nasty feeling of impending doom, but I realized last summer that the twitch was gone.

OK back to earth... Around 2002-2003 I quit the external frame pack which led to $10 spoons and $110 tarps and a whole bunch of other "I'll never's."

tiptoe
11-02-2011, 19:46
I never thought I'd eat ramen noodles. Now they're a go-to quick supper.

Nick&Bruce
11-02-2011, 23:30
This is a great thread for rookies to check out. I get to read about all the lessons you learned the hard way. #1. Get trail runners.

map man
11-02-2011, 23:48
My gear hasn't changed much in my half dozen years of backpacking. The thing that has changed is that when I started I only thought of hiking and backpacking in terms of trails -- now I am starting to enjoy adventuring off trail sometimes.

Wise Old Owl
11-03-2011, 00:01
yeah I swore I would never:

Use trail runners
Go Ultra Light
Use a top quilt
Spend that much money on a cuben fiber tarp
Wear a kilt

Yeah.... well.... we all make mistakes ;)

Don't worry - there's a therapist for that...:p

For me I am more willing to go on a ten miler with nothing more than a knife, lighter, a waterbottle with a built in filter - no pack or anything else.