PDA

View Full Version : New England AT - Clothes

Van Lloyden
03-02-2005, 12:10
A buddy and I are hiking from NY-CT Border to the NH-ME border in June.

What kind of clothing should we plan on bringing? I'd hate to cary extra clothes, but I'd also hate to freeze me arse off.

Peaks
03-02-2005, 17:22
June. That's after mud season, so it's bug season. I'd sure plan on a long sleeve shirt and long pants.

With all the questions about clothing and temperatures, there should be a compliation of the lowest average monthly temperatures, and the highest average monthly temperatures (the average monthly temperature extreme) for every state. (not the average low and average high).

weary
03-02-2005, 18:51
What kind of clothing should we plan on bringing? I'd hate to cary extra clothes, but I'd also hate to freeze me arse off.
For most of your walk expect warm days and an occasional chilly night. Maybe 30's, more likely 40s. I always bring a medium weight fleece or down jacket, for when I stop on rainy chilly afternoons. The Vermont Mountains, however, are exposed and windy and can drop to freezing most anytime, spring and fall. Expect near winter conditions most anytime in the Whites, but it rarely lasts very long. How much gear one brings depends on how willing one is to lay over a day or so in a sleeping bag or AMC Hut for the weather to change.

Weary

The Solemates
03-02-2005, 19:02

What we carried/wore during June in the same section:
Shorts with built-in liner (hiked in)
wicking Tee (hiked in)
200-pile fleece pullover (in pack)
rainpants (in pack)
rainjacket (in pack)
bandana (hiked in)
socks (hiked in)
trail runners (hiked in)

30 deg bag that we draped over the 2 of us ("quilt-like") and a fleece liner that we used on bottom. I carried the liner. She carried the bag. (I carried all the food, thats why she carried the heavier bag)

This was plenty for us. Note that the weight in our pack for clothing was just under 3lbs for the 3 items. Marmot precip rainsuit, off-brand fleece.

Van Lloyden
03-03-2005, 12:29
Thanks Solemates.

That's about what I expected to carry. Though I might add an extra layer in a drop before the whites.

A-Train
03-03-2005, 12:51
I'd maildrop a hat and maybe some liner gloves for the whites, or you could pick some up in Hanover/West Lebanon. But I sleep cold and don't like to take chances. Also to add to the list, xtra socks. I used 1 to hike in, 2 pairs in the pack, with one always designated for camp

DebW
03-03-2005, 15:01
I'd add to Solemates' and A-Train's list a set of long underwear bottoms and tops. I'd want more than rainpants on my legs if temperatures are in the low 40s or 30s. Just being cautious, I suppose, but you really can get nasty weather in the Whites, and you'll be above timberline a long time.

The Solemates
03-03-2005, 15:10
I'd add to Solemates' and A-Train's list a set of long underwear bottoms and tops. I'd want more than rainpants on my legs if temperatures are in the low 40s or 30s. Just being cautious, I suppose, but you really can get nasty weather in the Whites, and you'll be above timberline a long time.

Yea its all a matter of personal preference. I would add that I failed to mention an extra pair of socks. We always carry 2 pair. We didnt carry long johns, but I seem to be okay down to 40 or so with just my rainpants. Even so, most of the time we are either hiking or in our bag, so...

but your right...the Whites can be nasty...even in June.

The Solemates
03-03-2005, 15:11
and at night I slept with my bandana on, which isnt as warm as a hat, but certainly helped.

Van Lloyden
03-03-2005, 16:13
Well I'm thin as a rail and sleep warm (sometimes I like to open my bedroom window in the winter) and I RARELY sweat. It is odd if I develop any serious moisture in 80 degree weather. I'd planed on the following for clothes (be warrned my spelling sucks)

With me at the start
2 pairs socks
1 wicking Ex Officio T-shirt
1 pair convertable shorts/pants
1 Columbia lightweight fleece longsleeve shirt
1 Marmot Precip Jacket
1 Pair Red Ledge Thunderlight rainpants
1 bandana

To pick up in Clarendon, VT drop
1 fleece hat
1 silk base layer pants
1 silk base layer shirt
1 pair glove liners

I hike late, but like to sit at camp and talk (I talk a lot), read, write, or something other than sleep right away.

Jack Tarlin
03-03-2005, 19:28
Lots of good info so far.

Don't forget 100% Deet. Insect season comes early up North.