PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas on how to attach a waist pack to Osprey Ariel 65

Janeway
11-02-2011, 10:54
My arms are too short to reach around to get stuff out of the side mesh pockets on my Osprey Ariel 65. I've just tried the Granite Gear pack pocket, but when attached to the shoulder strap it's too high for easy access. I'm trying to figure out how to add a lightweight, easy to access waist pack to my front. This summer I was using a nice little waist pack with a gigantic hip belt that hooked in back under my Osprey Manta 25 day pack. It worked great, but I hated the hard to clasp behind me belt, not to mention the fact that it was an additional belt that seemed redundant. I don't know if it's just the Osprey Ariel, but there's not a lot of real estate on the accessible parts of the shoulder belt, so I'm thinking that if I could figure out how to attach a waist pack to the hip belt I'd get what I want--easily accessible storage for snacks, camera and whatever I'd like to get to quickly without taking off my pack. I figure I can modify a waist pack to either attach to the hip belt with maybe velcro or maybe sew on some kind of webbing. Picture this: I put on my back, hook and adjust the hip, sternum and shoulder belts. Then I clip or stick on the waist pack. Also, I don't really like the idea of something dangling from a belt, so the firmly attached waist pack seems best. So, any ideas? I have a feeling others have dealt with this, so I won't have to invent the wheel. Thanks!

Rocket Jones
11-02-2011, 11:17
I use a pouch with webbing on the back that the hip belt slides through. It's another step to putting on the pack, in that I have to slide the pouch onto the belt before buckling and adjusting, but it works well enough.

Pages
11-02-2011, 11:44
zpacks multi-pouch that attaches to the shoulder straps but is completely adjustable in length. made out of a cuben/sil hybrid.

Janeway
11-02-2011, 14:18
OK, Rocket Jones, I think I'm on the right track now. I just put on my pack and with the hip belt hooked I have about 4 inches on either side of the clasps. I'm almost positive I could modify my present waist pack to make webbing that I could loop onto the hip belt on both sides before I hook it, or maybe I could find an even better one that already has webbing. It will be another step to putting on the pack, but doesn't sound like it would take long, as long as the webbing was big enough to thread the hip belt through easily.

Rocket Jones
11-02-2011, 18:10
One thing about my pouch is that it's more vertical than horizontal. Instead of having a slash opening, it's has more of a lid that zips on. The other great thing is that the lid also has a mesh pocket inside that holds my chapstick, stick pic and a small bottle of hand sanitizer. The rest of the pouch is big enough for camera, notepad and space pen, rubber husband (to help loosen over-tight hiking poles), monocular and an empty grocery store bag in case I run across trash to be picked up. That still leaves room for a small baggie of gorp.

Janeway
11-02-2011, 21:09
I was just looking at my 10 buck Dick's pouch and it just might work out, unless I see something better. It has an outside front mesh pocket that would be good for the chapstick, hand sanitizer. There's a zip pocket on the other side. It's horizontal, with a 2 way zip, which I like so when I reach down into the bag things wouldn't fall out. It's plenty big enough inside for small camera, cell phone (if I decide to carry it there), my snacks, and anything else small that I want to get to quickly. It might be nice if it was water resistant. I'm going to keep looking. I'd be interested in what others have used.

Rocket Jones
11-03-2011, 06:33
Check out the camera bag aisle at electronics or department stores. They have some nifty little options there.

Sailor (The other one)
11-03-2011, 16:01
I've played with this idea in my head. What I'd try is this: attach two small side-release buckles, maybe the 1/2" ones like on a dog collar. Put one side on some webbing at each end of the waist pack and attach the other side with some webbing to the waist belt. Easy on and off. Very adjustable. To quickly get pack off you could just open one side-release buckle, let the waist pack droop, and open the waist belt buckle.

Janeway
11-03-2011, 19:59
Sorry, Sailor, but I'm having trouble picturing what you describe, until you get to
To quickly get pack off you could just open one side-release buckle, let the waist pack droop, and open the waist belt buckle. That's what I'm going for. I'll read this through a couple hundred more times and maybe a light will go off.

For now I've ordered the High Sierra Express Lumbar Pack http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OZE5C0
It's got the features that I'm looking for and the part of the belt attached to the back, wider at the pack and narrowing like a triangle might just be perfect--it has an opening that I think might be what I can insert the hip belt through. I wouldn't have to cut or sew. It will have to go through easily and then overall fit.

Sailor (The other one)
11-04-2011, 08:12
I'm sorry. I didn't do a very good job describing this. I'm not sure this will be much better, but here goes.
The lumbar pack you want has a side release buckle on its waist belt. Either buy another exact same side release buckle, or buy 2 of another one but the same size and use one to replace the side release buckle on the waist strap. Shorten each side of the waist strap until the buckle pieces are close to those wing-like webbing things with the holes in them on the sides of the pack. Attach the pieces of the other side release buckle to your Osprey's waist belt, one on each side of the Osprey's waist belt's side release buckle so that the buckles on the waist pack will clip into the buckles on the Osprey waist belt. If I could draw a recognizable stick figure this would be so much clearer.

http://images-cdn.gearbuyer.com/high_sierra_express_lumbar_waist_pack_p6__8.jpg

Rocket Jones
11-04-2011, 11:31
I think you're saying to use the lumbar pack strap and buckles as an extender for the backpack strap. Right?

grayfox
11-04-2011, 12:56
I bought two sets of matching buckles and put them on my pack waist belt and my lumbar waist belt. Then I just clip the lumber pack in front to the backpack waist belt. I was going to cut off the extra webbing but having the option to wear either is good. It does get hot in the summer though, so if all I really need is access to a water bottle, I use a climber's chalk bag on the backpack waist belt.

Sailor (The other one)
11-04-2011, 14:56
I think you're saying to use the lumbar pack strap and buckles as an extender for the backpack strap. Right?

No. I'm going to try to make one this weekend, since I've been thinking about it anyway. Then I'll post pics. Sorry about my lousy description skills.

Janeway
11-04-2011, 21:12
Thanks for the pictures, Sailor. It is so hard to describe this stuff, partly because I don't know the proper terms. For instance, which is the side release buckle? Putting the hip belt through those openings in webbing things on the sides is probably going to work, but it would be nice if when you unhook the hip belt at least one side stays secure. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with this weekend.

Sailor (The other one)
11-05-2011, 06:22
This is a side release buckle. It is the type of buckle that your Ariel has on its waist belt. Called side release because you press on the two side things - the ones that look like arrows - to release or open the buckle. They come in a huge variety of types, shapes and sizes. The Ariel has other side release buckles (SRB) on the pack, such as those that close the top lid. My idea is to use two side release buckles attached to the waist belt so that you can do exactly as you say, leave one side securely attached when you want to take the pack off. sing side release buckles on each side means you have the freedom to leave either side attached, to remove the whole thing, and to attach the waist pack's own waist belt so yoiu can still use it without the Ariel. I frankly can't believe one of those way smarter than me gear heads hasn't tried this already, which may mean its a lousy idea. We'll see. My camera is broken so I'm going to try to use one of our cell phones and/or my computer's web cam.
http://www.rei.com/media/hh/9f085658-4a29-4439-af52-3693e8a6f3ac.jpg

Janeway
11-05-2011, 21:09
Well, it's getting clearer now. Now that I know what a side release belt is, I'm beginning to see what you're saying. So, will you sew these onto the hip belt and on the waist pack? You're right, it's hard to believe that this isn't commercially available (or maybe it is and we haven't looked in the right place.) I think it's a good idea because I was basically doing it this summer with my daypack, just not as elegantly as you describe. I have a need for easy access that doesn't involve crammed pants pockets or dangling and bumping off the backpack or belt (the kind that holds up your pants). And the waist pack did the trick. Hope you're able to get pictures.

Sailor (The other one)
11-06-2011, 08:37
So no camera. But I think what I have below may help.

The picture above is, I believe, the backside of the waist pack you are buying. It appears from the picture that each side of the waist belt can be tightened and loosened. That means you can tightened each side all the way so that each half of the side release buckle can snug up against those areas with the holes, something like the next (admittedly crude) picture.

The next picture is of the backside of the Osprey. What you would need to do is buy an exact match of the side release buckle used on the waist pack, then attach each half to the Osprey waist belt so they match up with the corresponding male and female halves on the waist pack. You could take the waist pack to a place like Joann's fabrics and show them what you need. You would also need some webbing (the belt-like or strap-like stuff) of the right width, probably 1 1/2 or 2 inches.

The only real difficulty would be in figuring out how to attach the SRB halves to the Osprey belt. You might be able to thread some webbing through the plastic buckle at “A” in the picture below and loop it through the SRB half. Or, you might loop a piece of webbing through the SRB half and then sew that loop to the piece of fabric on the Osprey belt at “B”.

Frankly I wish you lived nearby. It would be easier for me to just do the job than try to explain it. If you have any questions, don't hesitate.

Janeway
11-06-2011, 09:21
Thanks so much, Sailor. This helps a lot and when I get the waist pack, I'll sit down with everything and see what needs to be done (or can be done), using this as a guide. Dang! Wish I could jump on a plane and come to you. I'll keep you posted. Should get the pack this week.

Sailor (The other one)
11-06-2011, 11:49
I'll keep you posted.

Please do. I'd like to see how this turns out and help so morfe if I can.

Janeway
11-09-2011, 10:00
Well, the High Sierra Express Lumbar Pack came and it definitely works with threading the hip belt side release buckles through the side triangular hole thingies. OK, it works, but it seems to hang and can't be tightened. It's not a lot, but it may be a good or not quite bad thing, but it made me think just how desirable it would be to somehow figure out how to attach side release buckles and webbing directly onto the hip belt, that would allow me to tighten and loosen them just like the hip belt. I guess this would mean finding at least one complete set to compliment the existing one on the lumbar pack. If that is the next step, I think I'd opt for buying two sets, because the lumbar pack's side release belt/buckles are honking big (similar to the Ariel's hip belt). I'd rather have a set that's half the size (less weight would be the prize). Sailor, you've probably already found this site, but I just discovered strapworks.com and just about started hyperventilating. Wow! They've probably got what I need.

Another thing, which may or may not be a deal breaker, the High Sierra Express Lumbar Pack seems kind of heavy (10.2 oz), but the features are nifty. I'll have to research if there's something similar, but lighter in weight.

And, leaping ahead, my big question is any tips on how to attach or sew these extra side release belts to the Ariel hip belt? Is that something I can do, or can you recommend maybe a seamstress or shoe repair place? I'm not really handy and don't have a sewing machine.

Sailor (The other one)
11-09-2011, 16:23
I would go with the 3/4" dual adjust Nexus on this page [http://www.strapworks.com/Side_Release_Buckles_p/srbda.htm. Nexus is a good brand I have used before. I would also go with the 3/4" nylon webbing on this page
http://www.strapworks.com/Flat_Nylon_Webbing_p/fnw34.htm.

I would try sewing the SRB to that piece of fabric labeeld "B" in the above picture, if it seems strong enough. I don't have the belt and can't tell much from the picture. It looks like there is a piece of webbing sewed under "B" at "A", so I would take a look at that.
I can't sew either. That is, I use needle and thread to make things stay together pretty much the way I want them to, but my work is ugly. So I can't really call it sewing. I would imagine in a city like yours you could find someone who could sew this for you. Perhaps in a newspaper's services section, or somewhere online? Perhaps in your local Craigslist. I have a little old lady who does real sewing for me for like $5 a throw, but I rarely use her since I don't worry much about how my gear looks.
Again, I can't tell for sure, but it looks like "B" might be a strip of fabric that is not completely attached, so that you could, for example, slide a finger under it. If that is true, you try sewing a loop in one end of a piece of webbing so that you could pass the push the other end under "B", then through the loop and attach the SRB. If that's strong enough, you would not have to sew.
BTW, I suggest the dual adjust simply to make it easy to adjust the belts.

Janeway
11-09-2011, 21:56
Alrighty, then. This is the way to go. I'll order the hardware and attempt to sew it on. I've got some heavy duty needles and some heavy duty thread that should work. I'll also check with my outfitters and see if they know of someone who works with this kind of thing.

Sailor (The other one)
11-10-2011, 08:29
Sounds like a good plan to me. Let us know how it goes. You may be starting a whole new trend.

JAK
11-10-2011, 09:11
Front and back packs can be awesome. I've experimented a bit. Great way to make the backpack simpler, and the stuff in front more accessible, and the entire load more balanced. I like the idea of completely integrating them with a fastener on each side of your waist or hips. You can still use one or the other alone by adding fasteners to the webbing straps you have removed. Good luck with that.

Janeway
11-10-2011, 11:04
Thanks, Jax. Does what Sailor and I have planned sound about right? One thing that I'm aware (cautious) of is not trying to add a lot of extra weight, and how that is going to affect my gait, balance, back, etc. One thing cool about this "lumbar" pack (Sailor added a picture) is the two side pockets that can hold 16 oz Nalgene bottles. It even comes with one. Since I'll be using my Osprey hydration system for trail drinking, I'll use them for something else. I'm really kind of surprised that this gear need hasn't been fulfilled yet. I know I'm not alone with short arms and wanting quick on the go access to water, snacks, camera, lip balm, snacks, and whatever. So, I guess when I'm trying for 30 lb pack weight that should be included.

JAK
11-11-2011, 04:56
My experience with my own trials was that it worked well for medium loads like 20 pounds, but not so well for heavy loads like over 30 pounds, and not so neccessary for light loads like 10 pounds. If you do it right it should not be heavier, because the backpack can become a very simple and lighter pack and the shoulder straps and waist belt can be worn looser. This is not so true if you already have the backpack, but it can be a way to add volume to a simple light daypack if you have one of those and want to use it to leave your heavier backpack home, which is what I did. Later I bought a Jam2 and just ditched my too heavy backpack. I haven't added a frontpack to it yet, but I might to carry water in front, or some extra volume and accessibility for winter trips. The caution on the heavy loads is that I think with heavy loads a forward lean induced by the backpack might be safer for your back, but it is really better to avoid such weights to begin with. It is warmer, but that can be good in cooler seasons. It is looser, which is awesome, but not so important with really light loads.

azb
11-13-2011, 00:00
I used a snugpak response bag. Like the others, I picked up two sets of matching belt buckles for the lumbar pack's belt. Using some short, wide webbing left over from an old Duffel bag strap, with the belt buckle on one end and a plastic keychain clip on the other. Two of these attached to the pack allow for strapping down the waist belt. For supporting the top, I added two female buckles to the waist pack by sliding them over the molle straps on the back of the waist straps. A short piece of webbing is attached to the main packs shoulder straps with small carabiners at one end, and the male end of the buckle on the other that mates with the female buckle added to the waist pack earlier.This setup works well, allows for a great deal of adjustment, and even plenty of mounting flexibility so can easily move it from any of my 5 packs, (or almost any pack out there) and still use it as a lumbar pack, or even wear it on the front as a waist pack while wearing the main pack. The molle attachments on the waist pack also allow mounting it on molle or pals webbing on any packs that have them. I added molle straps to my Osprey packs (my favorites for most hikes!) waist belt so I could attach useful pouches to the waist belts. So the lumbar pack can even be worn on the waist belt, off to the side or in front.Ultimate flexibility! I like being able to drop my main pack, and in 10 seconds, have my waist pack ready for a summit pack, or exploring near camp or whatever. The extra weight on the front of the shoulder straps helps balance and takes some weight off the shoulders. (Although that's not a problem on the Osprey!)The only downside is the reduced ventilation in the area on the chest where the pack sits. It helps some to loosen the belt straps on the waist pack and allow it to flop. I'm working on adding some raised padding on the back of the waist strap to allow it to sit snug and still get some ventilation.It's very nice to have important things right at hand while I'm hiking. My hiking style is to hike pretty continuously without a bunch of little stops, so this helps avoid stopping to dig stuff out of the pack. I also like having my first aid kit, small basic items, etc on me at all times, and this makes it very easy.Az

Janeway
11-13-2011, 21:11
"My hiking style is to hike pretty continuously without a bunch of little stops, so this helps avoid stopping to dig stuff out of the pack. I also like having my first aid kit, small basic items, etc on me at all times, and this makes it very easy."Yep, azb, you got it. That's exactly what I'm going for. I'm taking my backpack and lumbar pack to my outfitter. He's also got some ideas and I'm going to show him Sailor and your ideas.

Sailor (The other one)
11-14-2011, 08:37
azb's system seems much more versatile than mine. My Granite Gear Nimbus Meridian waist belt also has Molle/PALS webbing and I was thinking that would make for quick attachment/disattachment for waist pack connection points. The carabinier/shoulder strap attachment also sounds good for added stability and fast attach/detach. In my case this system would allow me to use such a waist pack on my Nimbus, my ALICE packs and even my daypack.

azb
11-18-2011, 16:58
I decided some pics might help.

Here's the Snugpak bag. It is shown as purchased, the only mods I made were those two female buckles on the top. They are simply looped over the straps on the Snugpak that are designed to attach the bag to molle or pals straps.

http://i44.tinypic.com/23s6729.jpg

The two buckles are the light green ones closest to the camera on top. These are used to attach the top part to the pack via straps with male connectors attached to the pack. The waist belt is used to keep the Snugpak, well, snug. So it doesn't bounce around during technical or spastic movement.

Here's a view of the Snugpak attached to the pack from the side.

http://i44.tinypic.com/vxc37o.jpg

You can see how the waist belt attaches. I simply used a shoulder strap from an old carry on bag that attached with clips. These clips are attached to the molle straps on the belt, but could also be attached to the compression straps on the pack, the bottom of the shoulder straps... whatever is convenient. These straps really don't have much stress on them, so it's not a critical connection. The only reason the straps and buckles are this wide is so that I can remove the Snugpak and still wear it as a lumbar pack with no changes. Simply unhook the connections and adjust the strap length, and away you go. If you have no need for using your chest pack as a lumbar pack, you could do away with the wide straps, big buckles, and the extra strap length.

Here's a close up of the buckle and the attachment to the pack.

http://i40.tinypic.com/e3ga0.jpg

And here it is unbuckled.

http://i41.tinypic.com/f59ax4.jpg

Note the molle straps added to the waist belt. I find these much more useful than those little pockets Osprey

Here's a closeup of the top of the Snugpak. You can see the straps attached to the shoulder straps of the pack. I used small carabiners to attach the straps to the load lifter straps. Other packs have loops or buckles on the shoulder straps that can be attached to. I have 5 packs, and every one has an easy method of attachment. The straps can be left in place when you remove the Snugpak, so that it only takes a few seconds to reattach it with the quick release buckles.

http://i43.tinypic.com/i6cf29.jpg

Here's a view on my Eberlestock:

http://i41.tinypic.com/2rq1u87.jpg

Keep in mind that the Snugpak carries important gear like first aid, sunglasses, binoculars, emergency kit, etc. This allow me to drop the main pack and use the Snugpak as a summit pack, or just to wear around camp to make sure that I always have basic gear on me when getting water, exploring around camp etc. Just in case. The Snugpak can also be attached to the waist belt of the pack via the molle straps, or to the outside of the pack if the pack has any kind of attachment points like daisy chains or molle. It's a very versatile setup that allows a lot of flexibility.

Hope this helps.

Az

azb
11-18-2011, 17:02
I decided some pics might help.<br><br>Here's the Snugpak bag. It is
shown as purchased, the only mods I made were those two female buckles
on the top. They are simply looped over the straps on the Snugpak that
are designed to attach the bag to molle or pals straps.<br><br>http://i44.tinypic.com/23s6729.jpg<br><br>The
two buckles are the light green ones closest to the camera on top.
These are used to attach the top part to the pack via straps with male
connectors attached to the pack. The waist belt is used to keep the
Snugpak, well, snug. So it doesn't bounce around during technical or
spastic movement.<br><br>Here's a view of the Snugpak attached to the pack from the side.<br><br>http://i44.tinypic.com/vxc37o.jpg<br><br>You
can see how the waist belt attaches. I simply used a shoulder strap
from an old carry on bag that attached with clips. These clips are
attached to the molle straps on the belt, but could also be attached to
the compression straps on the pack, the bottom of the shoulder straps...
whatever is convenient. These straps really don't have much stress on
them, so it's not a critical connection. The only reason the straps and
buckles are this wide is so that I can remove the Snugpak and still wear
it as a lumbar pack with no changes. Simply unhook the connections and
adjust the strap length, and away you go. If you have no need for using
your chest pack as a lumbar pack, you could do away with the wide
straps, big buckles, and the extra strap length.<br><br>Here's a close up of the buckle and the attachment to the pack.<br><br>http://i40.tinypic.com/e3ga0.jpg<br><br>And here it is unbuckled.<br><br>http://i41.tinypic.com/f59ax4.jpg<br><br>Note the molle straps added to the waist belt. I find these much more useful than those little pockets Osprey supplies. I simply cut them off and sewed a nylon backing on, then attached the molle straps. I left the nylon off the other side thinking it would breathe better. The nylon looks nicer, but when it's hot, it does interfere slightly with air flow.<br><br>Here's a closeup of the top of the Snugpak.
You can see the straps attached to the shoulder straps of the pack. I
used small carabiners to attach the straps to the load lifter straps.
Other packs have loops or buckles on the shoulder straps that can be
attached to. I have 5 packs, and every one has an easy method of
attachment. The straps can be left in place when you remove the Snugpak,
so that it only takes a few seconds to reattach it with the quick
release buckles.<br><br>http://i43.tinypic.com/i6cf29.jpg<br><br>Here's a view on my Eberlestock:<br><br>http://i41.tinypic.com/2rq1u87.jpg<br><br>Keep
in mind that the Snugpak carries important gear like first aid,
sunglasses, binoculars, emergency kit, etc. This allow me to drop the
main pack and use the Snugpak as a summit pack, or just to wear around
camp to make sure that I always have basic gear on me when getting
water, exploring around camp etc. Just in case. The Snugpak can also be
attached to the waist belt of the pack via the molle straps, or to the
outside of the pack if the pack has any kind of attachment points like
daisy chains or molle. It's a very versatile setup that allows a lot of
flexibility. <br><br>Hope this helps.<br><br>Az

azb
11-18-2011, 17:03
Sorry about the double post. The forum software is wigging out and won't let me edit my own post, adding the edited post as a new reply. I just added a bit of text about the waist belt pouches and how I removed them, and now it's in a whole new post.

Sorry!

Az

Sailor (The other one)
11-19-2011, 10:41
Nicely done az.