PDA

View Full Version : Two person Tent

drgreenthumb
11-02-2011, 16:15
I am planning on hiking the Georgia Section of the AT in May 2012. I have not purchased a tent yet, and I am looking for suggestions in regards to good 2 person tents.

ChinMusic
11-02-2011, 16:17
Six Moon Designs: Lunar Duo is a palace and loved by many.

Rain Man
11-02-2011, 16:43
... I am looking for suggestions in regards to good 2 person tents.

Are there actually two people, or do you just want extra room for one person? If the later, the REI T-2 is a fine tent. But for two people, you have to be pretty chummy! That's the case with most so-called two-person tents.

Rain:sunMan

ekeverette
11-02-2011, 16:47
marmont lime lite 2.. really enjoyed mine. supereasy to put up roomy and cheap.

Freedom Walker
11-02-2011, 20:24
I am planning on hiking the Georgia Section of the AT in May 2012. I have not purchased a tent yet, and I am looking for suggestions in regards to good 2 person tents.

Are you buying a tent only to do this section or to keep for future hikes? If you are going use the tent for many years and many hikes, give careful consideration to whether you will spend the extra money now and get a good lightweight tent or a heavier, cheaper tent that you will be selling later to go UL.

clsvideo
11-02-2011, 20:45
I second the REI T2. I would also recommend the MSR Hubba Hubba.

elray
11-02-2011, 20:53
I second the MSR Hubba Hubba. Two vestibules and separate entrances makes for a happy couple. Just ask my wife!

drgreenthumb
11-02-2011, 20:55
Are you buying a tent only to do this section or to keep for future hikes? If you are going use the tent for many years and many hikes, give careful consideration to whether you will spend the extra money now and get a good lightweight tent or a heavier, cheaper tent that you will be selling later to go UL.

I am planning on keeping this for the many future hikes that i plan on going on. The hike I have planned there will actually be 2 people sleeping in the tent, but on future hikes i would be that a majority of the time I will be staying in the tent alone. What are your suggestions?

Freedom Walker
11-02-2011, 21:39
I am planning on keeping this for the many future hikes that i plan on going on. The hike I have planned there will actually be 2 people sleeping in the tent, but on future hikes i would be that a majority of the time I will be staying in the tent alone. What are your suggestions?

Check the SF specs of any two-man tent that you are considering. As already stated many two-person tents will be crowded for two people. I have the two-man Sierra Design clip flashlight. I hope I never need to share it with anyone.

Franco
11-02-2011, 22:39
"As already stated many two-person tents will be crowded for two people"

I was having a look at the Tarptent Strato Spire 2 video that Henry has just uploaded.
Definatelly not a small nor cramped shelter for two...
http://www.tarptent.com/stratospire2.html#videos
Franco
[email protected]

Northern Lights
11-02-2011, 22:55
I second the MSR Hubba Hubba. Two vestibules and separate entrances makes for a happy couple. Just ask my wife!

I third the Hubba Hubba. When I first bought mine, my son who is 6'4 and 250 pounds crawled in the tent with me, and there was plenty of room for the two of us.

Don Newcomb
11-03-2011, 09:00
I'll include this thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?77849-Need-a-tent-less-than-40-ounces) by reference.

stars in her eyes
11-03-2011, 11:55
Hubba Hubba or the Lunar Duo.

Feral Bill
11-03-2011, 11:59
Check the SF specs of any two-man tent that you are considering. As already stated many two-person tents will be crowded for two people. I have the two-man Sierra Design clip flashlight. I hope I never need to share it with anyone. I have shared mine. Great for parent and child, snug for two adults.

rpenczek
11-03-2011, 13:03
Tarptent Rainbow II

tuswm
11-03-2011, 21:26
if you want light free standing and a decent amount of room

Tarptent Rainbow II

Tinker
11-03-2011, 23:17
Hmmmmmmmmm May.......lots of mesh. It'll be hot at times. Ventilation is often overlooked by tent shoppers. Summer tent - lots of ventilation, three season tent spring, fall, and a bit of summer, less ventilation. Winter - ventilation is not a major consideration (unless you cook inside). I'll let others post the particulars.

HeartFire
11-04-2011, 07:34
Well, I'm going to toot my own horn here - You can put 2 people in a LightHeart SoLong 6 - 27 oz, It's really a one person tent for the big and tall, but does fit 2 people - a little snug, but not terribly so.
www.lightheartgear.com

Judy aka HeartFire -of LightHeart Gear

Pound Hound
11-14-2011, 17:34
We have a Tarp Tent Double Rainbow and like it very much. Two separate side entries so you don't have to climb over the other person to get in and out. Light at just over 2 pounds. Several options for staking out the two side beaks.

good luck

Pound Hound and Garage Man

Majortrauma
11-14-2011, 18:09
I'm selling a hoodoo 3 on WB. Like new, used twice I think if that. It's a good two person tent. 7 lbs packed weight and I think I have the footprint for it.

Tom Murphy
11-14-2011, 18:17
I have a MH lightwedge 2 that is heavy by most people's standards but is bombproof.

I use the fast pitch option to leave the tent body at home when the bugs are gone.

I would buy the lunar duo or a 10x11 tarp today but back when I was a noob and, first learning site selection, the MH LW2 was great.

Tinker
11-14-2011, 20:32
If you already have a tarp (I use a 10x12 Equinox silnylon, though I think an 8x10 would do), this:
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=0h&oq=&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4ACEW_enUS353US354&q=rei+bug+hut+2
is inexpensive, well made, freestanding (minus the tarp, which just drapes over it, is held down at the corners with stakes, and uses trekking poles for a spacious "porch"), and light (depending on your tarp).
I've used one with my 6"3" son in buggy Maine in early September and it stood up to a couple of good thunderstorms.
.......and you can't beat the ventilation.

hikingshoes
11-14-2011, 20:45
I got a MSR carbon reflex 2 tent on steep and cheap for 309.00 last week.

OzSwaggie
11-18-2011, 21:00
We have an Exped Venus II and we love it. We got it off Amazon. It's not that light (2.7kg, think that's around 7lb) but we wanted to be sure that come rain, hail or snow, we'd be snug and dry. And with 2 people to carry, the weight is not such an issue as for solo. We find it roomy inside, our heads and feet are not pushing against the tent walls. It has a gear loft. There are vestibules both sides for our packs and the entrances allow you to lie in bed and look out at the scenery. Our previous tent was a dome style and we couldn't really do this. We haven't carried a footprint as extra weight an issue, but we might need to think about this ... It'd be nice to have floors in the vestibules.
Hope you find a nice hiking home!

OzSwaggie
11-18-2011, 21:07
Oh just forgot the reason why we chose the Venus II over others such as MSR is that it has very little permanent mesh in the tent - actually, i'm not sure it has any .... ; so it's a true four season tent. In summer you can open the big doors - they have insect mesh screens so you get a breeze, but if it's cold you can have the tent closed up and cozy. The tent itself is a sunny gold and the fly is forest green. Plus if you're keen you can use the fly and poles by itself just as a shelter and leave the tent at home. Also, the fly is left attached so your tent doesn't get wet putting it up in the rain. Yep, we love it! Well ventilated, too, not much condensation issues so far! We are from Australia and find the mountain nights in USA pretty startling and I'm a cold sleeper anyway. A warmer tent means I can carry a less full-on sleeping bag ...

Papa D
11-18-2011, 21:25
If you want to buy a really good tent for 2, the Hubba Hubba is hard to beat but if you're just going to do the GA section and you are sort of new to this, you could just roll with a couple of decent backpacking tarps and tyvek groundsheets - you'll probably shelter half the nights anyway, right -- just wade in and get the feel for what you like before spending the bucks -- you could rent a tent too -- you might decide you like hammocks, tarps, tents, shelters or even hostels -- have fun.