PDA

View Full Version : Is thru-hiking the best way to appreciate the beauty of trails?

Kookork
11-02-2011, 20:37
This summer after thru-hiking of the Bruce Trail my friends started to ask me specific questions about the specific parts of the trail and my answer was almost always like this:

I don’t remember. I don’t know. I am not sure and so on and so forth

In my case I was too focused on the mission of being a “Thru-hiker” or as we say here in Canada” End to End hiking” that many times I forgot to enjoy the moments.

Something was always telling me” just go ,do not waste too much time….finish line is there and you have limited time.

I have no experience on American Trails but I think it might be the same.

Sometimes we are in such a mental rush that we devour the trails instead of chewing them graciously.

What do you think?

Tipi Walter
11-02-2011, 21:17
The "Fast and Light" hysteria has brainwashed most modern day backpackers. It's strongly related to the testosterone-induced retardation so common in "timed" events. Examples heard: "Gotta stay on schedule." "High mileage days are vital." "Gotta finish 2,000 miles." "Must carry minimal weight and resupply every four days." But what's wrong with "Slow and Heavy"? The bag nights are still the same.

stranger
11-02-2011, 21:18
This completely depends on the length of the trail and the person hiking it. I know people who've hiked the AT over 9 months, and I know people who've hiked the AT in 90 days. Also, you could take 6 weeks and literally stroll down the Long Trail barely stretching yourself, or you can hike it in 2 weeks...it's up to you, but all are thru-hikes. Personally speaking, I've never thru-hiked the AT but I have done hikes in the 600 mile range - I get more out of a hike on a long-distance hike, I remember it more fondly, it means more to me as time goes on. I probably 'enjoy' shorter hikes more while on them, but I rarely find myself reflecting on them over the years. But what defines a 'long' or 'short' hike has alot to do with the person hiking, for some...thru-hiking the 123 mile Northville-Placid Trail would be epic, for me it was jaunt I did with my girlfriend for fun, for others. Personally, I start to get bored around the 500 mile mark, this has happened 3 times now and hasn't happened on trips under 500 miles, so for me it's not about thru-hiking per say, it's about my personal threshold for long-distance hiking. I think for me, if I were to attempt another thru-hike on the AT it would have to be relatively fast and I would be doing it to 'tick a box', so there would probably be a tad of devouring the trail as you put it - but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. Sitting around camp for 4 hours each day waiting for it to get dark is not exactly my idea of 'hiking', for someone else it may be, etc...

Kookork
11-02-2011, 21:30
So Correct me if I am wrong, you say thru-hiking is the most Memorable way of hiking a trail.I have no problem with what you said ,what so ever but is thru the best way to appreciate the beauty of a trail?

silverscuba22
11-02-2011, 21:33
The "Fast and Light" hysteria has brainwashed most modern day backpackers. It's strongly related to the testosterone-induced retardation so common in "timed" events. Examples heard: "Gotta stay on schedule." "High mileage days are vital." "Gotta finish 2,000 miles." "Must carry minimal weight and resupply every four days." But what's wrong with "Slow and Heavy"? The bag nights are still the same.

i love this.i always laugh when people get into weight" oh i bought a new jacket, saves me 7oz its sooo much better" most people cant even tell the diff of 7oz on a full loaded pack, my pack normal weight is about 30 pounds and its no problem at all. i think FARR to many people worry about weight.

4eyedbuzzard
11-02-2011, 22:58
Everyone hikes for their own reason - aka HYOH. Some hike to look at an experience nature, some hike more to look within themselves. All are just hiking to the beat of different drummers. Whatever way people hike, as long as they find what they are looking for, it's all good.

Serial 07
11-02-2011, 23:18
too abstract of a question...hyoh...

Slo-go'en
11-02-2011, 23:37
Is thru-hiking the best way to appreciate the beauty of trails?

I think the question ought to be "CAN a thru-hiker appreciate the beauty of the trails?"
Answer: for a while. Then it all starts to look the same.
Personally, if I just spent a whole lot of effort and energy getting up to a nice vista, I'm going to take my pack off and enjoy it for a while - most of the time... er, well, some of the times, so long as its lunch time anyway..

stranger
11-03-2011, 01:38
So Correct me if I am wrong, you say thru-hiking is the most Memorable way of hiking a trail.I have no problem with what you said ,what so ever but is thru the best way to appreciate the beauty of a trail?

Stand corrected...I didn't say thru-hiking is the most memorable way of hiking a trail, I said that 'for me' long-distance hiking, including thru-hiking, means more to me in the long run that other styles of hiking. A trail's beauty doesn't change because someone is hiking for 5 days or 5 months, what changes is the person's ability, desire or willingness to appreciate the beauty because of the manner in which they have decided to hike. So common sense says yes, a thru-hiker will probably take a number of things for granted, including a trail's beauty. But personally speaking, I would still do the thru-hike because for me, there would be more to gain in the long run.

peakbagger
11-03-2011, 07:59
The AT is referred to as a "green tunnel" by hikers. I have normally secton hiked and on occasion have done weeks of daily key swaps with a car. I found that getting to trail intersections brought me through some interesting areas that a typical through hiker would never go near. This was especially noticable in NC and TN, some of the roads we used to access the trail went through some incredible territory that a thru hiker had no clue of. Another nice stretch was the blue ridge parkway and even the shenadoahs (we hiked off season so there were no crowds on the roads). The highways were set up for scenic views, while the trail was mostly routed through the woods and out of site of the roads. Of course it took a long time to finish the AT this way, but I beleive that I got a lot better understanding of the territory around the AT that way.

Pedaling Fool
11-03-2011, 08:11
After a while on the trail thru-hikers tend to blow by nice scenic areas, so in a way you could say, "Thru-hiking the best way to lose the appreciation of the beauty of the AT".

Lone Wolf
11-03-2011, 08:14
This summer after thru-hiking of the Bruce Trail my friends started to ask me specific questions about the specific parts of the trail and my answer was almost always like this:

I don’t remember. I don’t know. I am not sure and so on and so forth

In my case I was too focused on the mission of being a “Thru-hiker” or as we say here in Canada” End to End hiking” that many times I forgot to enjoy the moments.

Something was always telling me” just go ,do not waste too much time….finish line is there and you have limited time.

I have no experience on American Trails but I think it might be the same.

Sometimes we are in such a mental rush that we devour the trails instead of chewing them graciously.

What do you think?thru-hiking is NOT the best way to enjoy the trail

coheterojo
11-03-2011, 08:30
Is there a best way? For me hiking the AT was a fantastic way to enjoy the beauty of the the trail. I don't get bored at all. I feel as if I'm exactly where I should be when thru-hiking. I did it slower the second time around specifically to enjoy it more. Every day brought some new example of beauty, bliss, wonder or excitement. What better way to appreciate the trail? I wish I could do it again this coming season!

El Flaco

hikerboy57
11-03-2011, 08:32
Ive met many NOBOs in the whites and mahoosucs that are so focused on finishing, theyre not stopping to smell the spruce. For most its a long time away from family and freinds, and many are anxious to be done. At the same time, most of these same were in great spirits with their goal finally in sight,Im not saying they were miserable or unhappy, just that they were more focused on making miles than enjoying themselves. This might be different in the south with many miles to go and what seems like plenty of time left, they may be more prone to take more zeros, but once they get through the whites, the finish line is in sight. but it convinced me to break up my thru into 2 sections so I wouldnt feel Id have to push as hard.

Spokes
11-03-2011, 08:47

"Some people find beauty in the smallest pebble on the path, others in the grand scene from the mountain tops".

- Spokes

Tabasco
11-03-2011, 08:48
I think the BEST way to enjoy the trail is to avoid wild boar attacks. :rolleyes:

garlic08
11-03-2011, 09:07
My take on the AT was that thru hiking was the best way to enjoy the trail experience. After my hike, I met a section hiker who was struggling with the cost and logistics of repeated trips back East to "enjoy" the green tunnel. He had pretty much decided to "sample" the trail, just pick the most scenic parts and call it good. I realized that the aspect of the AT I enjoyed most was seeing the whole thing at one go--seeing a pileated woodpecker in each state, seeing the spring bloom progress, comparing the South to the mid-Atlantic to the North, hiking from Civil War history into Revolutionary War history, the company of other thru hikers, the physical and mental challenges, etc. The natural beauty of the AT barely factored into the enjoyment, for me.

I think it's a good question but one with many good answers.

tdoczi
11-03-2011, 10:19
ive talked to plenty of thrus that hike through the whites in solid rain and fog for a week straight. section hikers can wait and time the weather. youd be hard pressed to convince me the thru hiker who hit bad weather and marched through it to get it done "appreciated the beauty" of it more.

JAK
11-03-2011, 10:31
Whether thru hiking, section hiking, day hiking, or even just camping, it is important to take time to smell the roses, see the trees for the forest. etc. This is especially important when hiking with a small child. If they want to stop and play, you gotta go with it now and then. The lightbulb really went on years ago when I was hiking through our local park heading for the playground, and she stopped to play, and I said, hurry up Margaret we have to get to the playground. That's when I realized kids are often WAY smarter than we are.

weary
11-03-2011, 10:59
.... 'for me' long-distance hiking, including thru-hiking, means more to me in the long run that other styles of hiking. A trail's beauty doesn't change because someone is hiking for 5 days or 5 months, what changes is the person's ability, desire or willingness to appreciate the beauty because of the manner in which they have decided to hike. So common sense says yes, a thru-hiker will probably take a number of things for granted, including a trail's beauty. But personally speaking, I would still do the thru-hike because for me, there would be more to gain in the long run.
And for me. Nature is fascinating. The much disparaged "long green tunnel" is fascinating if one takes the time to look. Frankly, it's open views from summits that are boring after a while.

Every tree, every flower is different. It's the incredible variety of the forest landscape that makes the trail enjoyable. I spent 6 months and 3 days walking between Springer and Katahdin in 1993. I don't remember being bored or unhappy. Well, except for a session of gout and an irritated nerve in my right leg. I took all the side trails to waterfalls, historic places and scenic overlooks -- so many that I had to bypass southern New England in order to beat snowfall on Katahdin. (I went back two years later to see what I had missed.).

Blissful
11-03-2011, 11:04
Ive met many NOBOs in the whites and mahoosucs that are so focused on finishing, theyre not stopping to smell the spruce.

Actually they are more focused on finishing when they get to the 100 mile wilderness. Coming SOBO, I saw a whole different mentality in the Whites and Mahoosucs. It was kicking their butt. They had no choice but to slow down, and actually had some good talks with them. But the 100 mile wilderness, forget it.

Blissful
11-03-2011, 11:07
ive talked to plenty of thrus that hike through the whites in solid rain and fog for a week straight. section hikers can wait and time the weather. youd be hard pressed to convince me the thru hiker who hit bad weather and marched through it to get it done "appreciated the beauty" of it more.

I have hiked in the fog and it can be very interesting and mysterious. You see plants better. Granted the Whites are better in good weather (I did Franconia Ridge in the fog in '07 but had good weather SOBO) but sometimes there is no choice.

hikerboy57
11-03-2011, 11:19
Actually they are more focused on finishing when they get to the 100 mile wilderness. Coming SOBO, I saw a whole different mentality in the Whites and Mahoosucs. It was kicking their butt. They had no choice but to slow down, and actually had some good talks with them. But the 100 mile wilderness, forget it.You're right. Many i spoke to were surprised at the difficulty of the mahoosucs, thought once they were through the whites it was easy sailing.

q-tip
11-03-2011, 12:39
Benton MccKay said it best. The purpose of the AT is to walk, to see, and to see what you see.

Pages
11-03-2011, 12:47
i love this.i always laugh when people get into weight" oh i bought a new jacket, saves me 7oz its sooo much better" most people cant even tell the diff of 7oz on a full loaded pack, my pack normal weight is about 30 pounds and its no problem at all. i think FARR to many people worry about weight.

you are right silverscuba, 7ozs isn't probably a big deal to ppl carrying more than 30lbs. they probably don't notice much of a difference to heavy and heavier. but for those that are shooting to be well UNDER 30, 7ozs IS a big deal. I don't like carrying more than 20lbs, not because i need to go fast or need to stay on schedule, but i want to ENJOY HIKING, and carry a boulder is not nearly as enjoyable as carrying a rock. IMHO.

TV

tdoczi
11-03-2011, 13:05
I have hiked in the fog and it can be very interesting and mysterious. You see plants better. Granted the Whites are better in good weather (I did Franconia Ridge in the fog in '07 but had good weather SOBO) but sometimes there is no choice.

yes, when doing a THRU there is often no choice. my point exactly.

Dad
11-03-2011, 13:29
As far as being able to remember enough of the specifics of your experience to answer some questions from interested friends (or remember them just for yourself), over time and trips I have taken pretty good notes and write in a journal almost every day – even if pretty cryptic. You can’t remember everything, but expanding on the stuff you see, what you thought about, who you meet, etc, is a lot easier if you stay up with it pretty regularly. I have also taken enough notes to remind me of stuff and then write more completely about it at home on the computer – I’m reasonably fast on a keyboard, but I take notes with pencil/notebook. It has been worth the effort. I still look over stories from 8 – 10 years ago and enjoy remembering details from those trips, as do friends and family. You can’t get to know a lot about every person you meet, but if I hit it off with someone, I try to write something about them. To make time, I have changed to stopping along the way and not rushing so much, but have made up for it by deciding to hike more of the day instead of setting up camp so early. Much more relaxed now and remembering it is almost as important to me as doing it. Had to learn to overcome the mental rush. If your thru hike (or any hike) has a time limit, then do what you have to do. But I think you can hike about as far relaxed and enjoying it as you can with your mind all caught up in a hurry.

IrishBASTARD
11-03-2011, 13:38
The problem is not "thru-hiking" what so ever regardless getting out and enjoying nature is wonderful...no matter thruing or sectioning. The problem to put it bluntly is does anyone care to look around...and smell the skat? All too many peoples regardless of soc-eco backgrounds...feel the need to speed up more now than ever before. Its not to blame thruing or sectioning...its to blame the people who just walk instead of look and listen. In case of the question...there is no actual answer because people will disagree and agree. No matter its exercise and that to me is beautiful.

Odd Man Out
11-03-2011, 13:46
When students take note in class, it helps them remember the material, even if they never refer back to the notes. I also have written some detailed travelogues right after a trip. I'm sure I remember a lot of the details of these trips from having done that, even if I haven't re-read the travelogues. For a short trip, I can recall most details a week or two after the fact and reconstruct a complete and accurate travelogue. For a 5 month hike, I can see that it would be necessary to keep a regular journal to get the same benefit. Haven't had the chance to take a hike that long yet, but this is what I would plan to do. The journal isn't just to share with others, or to keep a record to read later (although it does those). It would also help me enjoy and remember the experience.

Ktaadn
11-03-2011, 15:52
Whether thru hiking, section hiking, day hiking, or even just camping, it is important to take time to smell the roses, see the trees for the forest. etc. This is especially important when hiking with a small child. If they want to stop and play, you gotta go with it now and then. The lightbulb really went on years ago when I was hiking through our local park heading for the playground, and she stopped to play, and I said, hurry up Margaret we have to get to the playground. That's when I realized kids are often WAY smarter than we are.

I love this.

max patch
11-03-2011, 16:10
,Im not saying they were miserable or unhappy, just that they were more focused on making miles than enjoying themselves.

"Making miles" and "enjoying themselves" are not mutually exclusive terms.

hikerboy57
11-03-2011, 16:32
"Making miles" and "enjoying themselves" are not mutually exclusive terms.I dont disagree.Im sure if i were that close to hitting my goal, Id be having a great time!! I just think that as you get closer to completion, the focus is more on finishing then enjoying the day.I wont know until Im at the same point. and for some, making miles is all that its about. and thats not a bad thing either. HYOH.

Kookork
11-03-2011, 18:04
Ive met many NOBOs in the whites and mahoosucs that are so focused on finishing, theyre not stopping to smell the spruce. For most its a long time away from family and freinds, and many are anxious to be done. At the same time, most of these same were in great spirits with their goal finally in sight,Im not saying they were miserable or unhappy, just that they were more focused on making miles than enjoying themselves. This might be different in the south with many miles to go and what seems like plenty of time left, they may be more prone to take more zeros, but once they get through the whites, the finish line is in sight. but it convinced me to break up my thru into 2 sections so I wouldnt feel Id have to push as hard.

Great approach to my question. In a way you say that on average thru-hikers enjoy more of the scene and moments in the first half and are more focused on finishing and hence miss some beauty by getting closer to finish line. That was pretty much my case. last week I just wanted to finish and it is a shame since the last stretches of many trails are really beautiull.

Kookork
11-03-2011, 18:13

I think the question ought to be "CAN a thru-hiker appreciate the beauty of the trails?"
Answer: for a while. Then it all starts to look the same.
Personally, if I just spent a whole lot of effort and energy getting up to a nice vista, I'm going to take my pack off and enjoy it for a while - most of the time... er, well, some of the times, so long as its lunch time anyway..

With all respct to your nice question if I put this question instead of mine before attempting AT or other trails, then It will bring some seroius not so much friendly disscussion/arguments here. But overal my answer to YOUR question is like this: yes they can appreciate the beauty of the trail but possibly not as good as section hikers and the trail loses more attraction toward the end so less sightings in last sections.

hikerboy57
11-03-2011, 18:20
JPD in becoming odyssa, had put it nicely that even though she may be traveling twice as fast as someone else, even 4mph is SLOW, shes seeing the same sunsets, rainbows,waterfaslls, etc, so I feel I may not be the best judge and what people take away from their hikes is extremely personal.for some it may be all about how fast, for others maybe how slow. for me , i get something out of every hike, even a day hike. I love to be alone when I hike, but I also enjoy those chance meetings with wonderful people from every economic strata. I think some may not enjoy a backpacking trip unless theyre carrying 50+ lbs, to others, its how light they can go, but in the end, I feel its the acheivement of the goal, more than the enjoyment along the way. I think thats also why so many go back to hike it again!

Kookork
11-03-2011, 18:29
I still look over stories from 8 – 10 years ago and enjoy remembering details from those trips, as do friends and family

Once I asked my guru in climbing that why you dont make notes of your adventures and trips, in this way when you get old you can review them and enjoy them?
He said: I am planing to live such a relentless life that I possibly would have never get the chance to write them let alone reviewng them.

I am like you, I enjoy riting and then reviewing them after a while but I wish I had his mentality though.

johnnybgood
11-03-2011, 19:13
The trail journals that I enjoy the most are ones where the writer has taken time to convey an image that makes the reader visualize the experience as if they're there themselves.
It might be less popular in today's hurried ~omni important, goal achieving society to slow down but one must consider why they are hiking to begin with. To use a quote seen here before " Start slow , then slow down . "

stranger
11-04-2011, 00:18
"Making miles" and "enjoying themselves" are not mutually exclusive terms.

It goes even further than that...I have a really hard time 'enjoying myself' if I'm not 'making miles', because if I'm not 'making miles' I'm sitting down, not hiking...and one of the really big reasons I go hiking is to go hiking. Even if I'm walking slow, I just don't like standing in one place very long, I live my life the same way, I move around, move country, and move jobs all the time, it's not inherant to hiking.

rocketsocks
11-04-2011, 01:20
I think if it was your intent to finish the trail as fast as you can,your accomplished! If not ,damn shame.But hey,here's the thing.......you get to try again,ain't life grand ;)

Colter
11-04-2011, 07:32
The best way to enjoy the trail is to hike your own hike.

Take two people, one covering 200 miles in 5 months and one covering 2000 miles. They will both experience things that the other won't. Jennifer Pharr Davis saw 36 bears on her record hike. You can see and appreciate the world around you at any walking speed, so hike your own style.

Colter
11-04-2011, 07:39
" Start slow , then slow down . "

In other words "Hike My Hike (http://www.pmags.com/hike-my-hike-damn-it-hmhdi)"

rocketsocks
11-04-2011, 07:49
That's becuase she was move'in so fast,she was kick'in up like cock birds

Spirit Walker
11-04-2011, 12:45
How much a person appreciates the beauty of the trail is entirely up to the individual. It has nothing to do with speed or distance, it has to do with attention and intention and circumstances. I've done group hikes where I was so busy talking to friends I hardly registered the country around me. I've done solo hikes where I paid attention to every flower and bird I saw and others where I was so into my thoughts about what was happening in my life it was as if I was hiking in a fog. On day hikes with my dog, I am focused on what he is doing more than where we are walking. For me that kind of distraction is more likely on short hikes than long ones.

On long hikes I find I get into a rhythm with the trail where I become very aware of everything around me. A lot of the extraneous thoughts are subsumed by observation of what I'm seeing in the here and now. I spend time looking at the flora and fauna, looking at maps so I can tell where I am and where I'm going, paying attention to the sky and the clouds and the feeling of the sunshine. I feel as if I am very much mentally and emotionally present. It is one of the things I really love about long distance hiking. But people are different. Some may focus less on their present and more on their destination, thinking about the next town, the end of the trail, their last call home, past problems or future plans, how many miles they're doing, or how much pain they are in. We all spend some time thinking about past, present and future -- but it is entirely individual how much time we spend with each. For me, long distance hiking is about living in the present - but YMMV.

sbhikes
11-04-2011, 19:54
There are so many good things about a fast, light hike just as there are some not-so-good things. It was incredible to me to see how far I could walk in a day. I got a lot out of that kind of accomplishment. At the same time, my quest for more and more miles cut me off from side trails to vistas and other interesting things. I regret some of the choices I made not to take a side trip. I think at some point you just have to make a choice. Do I want the mileage-focused hike? If you are enjoying that, go for it. If not, reevaluate your options.

Having lighter gear allows me to stand up straight and look around more. So for that I'm grateful. I now sometimes do hikes where I take longer or do far fewer miles in a day and still enjoy myself a lot. I don't need a lot of weight on my back to slow my pace.

And like Spirit Walker said above, hiking alone allowed me to take in every last little detail to the point where I feel like I've got a memory full of tiny little details. I can remember so many things about the trail and this makes up for all those high-milage days where I pushed myself. Those few times I hiked with other people really ruined the experience by making expanses of time and place disappear from my memories. Even if we would have hiked at a snails pace, all that talking took me out of the trail and made me lose some of the experience.

stranger
11-06-2011, 18:45
Once again...those who hike shorter days feel the need to tell others to slow down and enjoy themselves more...and those who hike longer days couldn't are less what anyone else does, amusing to say the least.

Kookork
11-06-2011, 19:10
How much a person appreciates the beauty of the trail is entirely up to the individual. It has nothing to do with speed or distance, it has to do with attention and intention and circumstances. I've done group hikes where I was so busy talking to friends I hardly registered the country around me. I've done solo hikes where I paid attention to every flower and bird I saw and others where I was so into my thoughts about what was happening in my life it was as if I was hiking in a fog. On day hikes with my dog, I am focused on what he is doing more than where we are walking. For me that kind of distraction is more likely on short hikes than long ones.

On long hikes I find I get into a rhythm with the trail where I become very aware of everything around me. A lot of the extraneous thoughts are subsumed by observation of what I'm seeing in the here and now. I spend time looking at the flora and fauna, looking at maps so I can tell where I am and where I'm going, paying attention to the sky and the clouds and the feeling of the sunshine. I feel as if I am very much mentally and emotionally present. It is one of the things I really love about long distance hiking. But people are different. Some may focus less on their present and more on their destination, thinking about the next town, the end of the trail, their last call home, past problems or future plans, how many miles they're doing, or how much pain they are in. We all spend some time thinking about past, present and future -- but it is entirely individual how much time we spend with each. For me, long distance hiking is about living in the present - but YMMV.

You answered another question of mine not what is the main reason of this thread. You say in your case solo hiking gives you more chance to focus on flora and fauna versus group hiking. so you ansewered about solo vs group.

what about thru versus section hiking? That was the qestion but the part of your post that says and I quote"How much a person appreciates the beauty of the trail is entirely up to the individual. It has nothing to do with speed or distance, it has to do with attention and intention and circumstances.

I disagree not with the subject but with using the phrase" nothing to do" in the sentence. if you drive once 80 mph from A to B and then 240 mph the same road do you pay the same attention to the surroundings?

Kookork
11-06-2011, 20:21
There are so many good things about a fast, light hike just as there are some not-so-good things. It was incredible to me to see how far I could walk in a day. I got a lot out of that kind of accomplishment. At the same time, my quest for more and more miles cut me off from side trails to vistas and other interesting things. I regret some of the choices I made not to take a side trip. I think at some point you just have to make a choice. Do I want the mileage-focused hike? If you are enjoying that, go for it. If not, reevaluate your options.

Having lighter gear allows me to stand up straight and look around more. So for that I'm grateful. I now sometimes do hikes where I take longer or do far fewer miles in a day and still enjoy myself a lot. I don't need a lot of weight on my back to slow my pace.

And like Spirit Walker said above, hiking alone allowed me to take in every last little detail to the point where I feel like I've got a memory full of tiny little details. I can remember so many things about the trail and this makes up for all those high-milage days where I pushed myself. Those few times I hiked with other people really ruined the experience by making expanses of time and place disappear from my memories. Even if we would have hiked at a snails pace, all that talking took me out of the trail and made me lose some of the experience.

Is it fair according to your post that you are accepting the fact that thru-hiking in recent years( at least) has been more mileage focused than appreciating the beauty?

That is my intention to point out from this thread. I have nothing against mileage(especiall when it is 2000 plus!!!) but too much focus on mileage has been my recent problem and I like to address it before it is too late for me.
THank you for your post,.

Colter
11-06-2011, 20:43
if you drive once 80 mph from A to B and then 240 mph the same road do you pay the same attention to the surroundings?

Seems to me you already have your own answer to the question. The answer isn't going to be the same for everyone.

For me, thru-hiking IS the best way to appreciate the beauty of the trails. I see more sunrises and more sunsets, more animals, more weather, more scenery and more ecosystems. I simply am not going to be spending that much time out there without the goal of a completed thru-hike.

But if someone says it isn't that way for them, they are probably right, and should hike the way that is most rewarding for them.

stranger
11-07-2011, 06:03
Yes...there is a huge difference between 80 - 240 miles per hour, there is barely a noticable difference between 2.5 - 3.0 miles per hour.

Colter
11-07-2011, 08:32

I'll bet more of them "appreciated the beauty" compared to people sitting at home waiting for the weather to break. I'll bet some will have better memories of that week, too.

There are many examples on each side of the debate, and we are the only ones that can truthfully answer the question for ourselves.

tdoczi
11-07-2011, 12:20
I'll bet more of them "appreciated the beauty" compared to people sitting at home waiting for the weather to break. I'll bet some will have better memories of that week, too.

There are many examples on each side of the debate, and we are the only ones that can truthfully answer the question for ourselves.

on that given day, perhaps, but presumably the section hiker later hit that same part of trail on a clear day.

you also neglect to consider that the sectioner might not have been home, but might have been hiking somewhere else that day where the weather was clear.

the whites in bad weather is the pits. way too many thrus hike it in bad weather because stopping and waiting or doing something else is not conducive to a thru hike. this is just one specific example of how not thru hikign MAY be a better way to appreciate the trail.

Mags
11-07-2011, 12:48
the whites in bad weather is the pits. way too many thrus hike it in bad weather because stopping and waiting or doing something else is not conducive to a thru hike. this is just one specific example of how not thru hikign MAY be a better way to appreciate the trail.

One of my favorite memories was backpacking along Franconia ridge in adverse weather. I would not trade that memory for anything. It was just as memorable, and rewarding, as being on Franconia Ridge in beautiful weather.

Now that I think of it, one the best ski touring days I've had was -5F (at the TH; probably close to -10F a little higher up) w/o the windchill. Fierce winds, etc. etc. etc.

Both incidences gave me the feeling of being alive, invigorated and knowing that I can survive and thrive in this type of weather. Enjoying Ma Nature on its own terms in the raw if you will.

tdoczi
11-07-2011, 12:53
One of my favorite memories was backpacking along Franconia ridge in adverse weather. I would not trade that memory for anything. It was just as memorable, and rewarding, as being on Franconia Ridge in beautiful weather.

Now that I think of it, one the best ski touring days I've had was -5F (at the TH; probably close to -10F a little higher up) w/o the windchill. Fierce winds, etc. etc. etc.

Both incidences gave me the feeling of being alive, invigorated and knowing that I can survive and thrive in this type of weather. Enjoying Ma Nature on its own terms in the raw if you will.

i doubt none of that, but does that fit the OP's question of "appreciating the beauty of the trail"? while it can certainly be a great experience to walk in fog, its hard to appreciate something you cant see, isnt it?

anywhere of note ive ever hiked in bad conditions i plan to go back and hike on a clear day again. i dont currently have plans to go back and rehike somewhere in the rain just for the fun of it.

Mags
11-07-2011, 13:34
I disagree..I cetainly appreciate the fog. In fact, I thru- hiked a good chunk of the BMT when it was foggy. One of my favorite photos is from a foggy day on my BMT thru.

Needless to say, I loved the day and appreciated the beauty I saw.

http://ih2.redbubble.net/image.5360603.2752/flat,550x550,075,f.jpg

I also do full moon hikes, too, and love them. :)

Basically, think your opinion does not apply to me or others.... You are not going to tell me my opinion of how I experience and appreciate the trail during my thrus is incorrect are you? ;)

tdoczi
11-07-2011, 13:40
I disagree..I cetainly appreciate the fog. In fact, I thru- hiked a good chunk of the BMT when it was foggy. One of my favorite photos is from a foggy day on my BMT thru.

Needless to say, I loved the day and appreciated the beauty I saw.

http://ih2.redbubble.net/image.5360603.2752/flat,550x550,075,f.jpg

I also do full moon hikes, too, and love them. :)

Basically, think your opinion does not apply to me or others.... You are not going to tell me my opinion of how I experience and appreciate the trail during my thrus is incorrect are you? ;)

have you ever hiked a place for the first time in the rain or fog and thought "gee, i'll have to come back here on a clear day?" if you can truly answer no to that question then you win.

hikerboy57
11-07-2011, 14:04
this entire thread can be summed up as HYOH. Its a personal matter. some are just concerned with speed, others concerned with finishing, others have no concerns at all.I section hike, and Ive had a few "epics" that have made me feel lucky to be alive, Ive enjoyed waterfalls, days where I could see for 100 miles, and days where I couldnt see my hand in front of me. I havent yet thru hiked, so I cannot compare my own experiences with thrus and insist my expereineces are either better or worse. I crave the satisfaction Ive felt from those that have completed thrus, and will not know what they feel, until Ive accomplished it myself. But I dont beleive for a second that you enjoy the trail any more or less than me.
In August, I stayed overnight at Madison hut. late in the afternoon a tstorm blew through just north of madison, as the sky cleared in the west, we witnessed an amazing sunset . we turned around and to the north the sky was pitch black with an electrical storm busy at work, in front of this incredible lightshow was a rainbow!!! I was there with a few section hikers, as well as a few NOBOS, and the reaction from all of us was the same:Total awe.

Mags
11-07-2011, 14:06
have you ever hiked a place for the first time in the rain or fog and thought "gee, i'll have to come back here on a clear day?" if you can truly answer no to that question then you win.

Didn't occur me to come back to the above place in the sunshine. It was too beautiful. I want to preserve the wonderful moment.

In any case I wasn't trying to win. That may be the issue. :D There is no right or wrong or win/lose with opinions. :)

tdoczi
11-07-2011, 14:09
Didn't occur me to come back to the above place in the sunshine. It was too beautiful. I want to preserve the wonderful moment.

In any case I wasn't trying to win. That may be the issue. :D There is no right or wrong or win/lose with opinions. :)

my question and point was not just about the above place, nor was it in anyway a denial of the beauty of fog.

Mags
11-07-2011, 14:11
my question and point was not just about the above place, nor was it in anyway a denial of the beauty of fog.

Good. Then we agree! :D Your opinion is correct and so is mine. Feel to add another remark if you want "to win" :)

Kookork
11-07-2011, 14:15
Yes...there is a huge difference between 80 - 240 miles per hour, there is barely a noticable difference between 2.5 - 3.0 miles per hour.

I used 80-240 mph for instance but you have a fair point.

Actually , many times I see secion hikers walk faster than thru hikers. Maybe they are fresher, have less wight to carry , have less time, dont know . so if speed defines the appreiation of beauty then sectionists should appreciate less. So it is not about the speed of thru-hiker which evade him from the beauty but the mentality of a thru.

Being said that after this thread I started to feel that this" thru-mentality " is not as cmmon as I thought. So it seems to be my personal problem.

Dont get me wrong. Thru-hiking is the most memorable way of hiking in my dictionary not because of all good things that happens to me while a thru but for bad and good and miserable situations one goes through we remeber it more.

After couple of months even the miserable situations turn to a sweet memory, you know why? because we survived them.

But to be honest, In my case not 2.5 to 3 mph but 2 to 3(just one mile per hour increse) makes a huge difference in my pace. In 3 mph I am more focused on where to put my feet and not enjoy the scene. In 2 mph I am whisteling and enjoying the surroundings. But as I said, It is just me.

tdoczi
11-07-2011, 14:16
Good. Then we agree! :D Your opinion is correct and so is mine. Feel to add another remark if you want "to win" :)

feel free to answer the question i actually asked. but you already did.

stranger
11-07-2011, 17:39
I used 80-240 mph for instance but you have a fair point.

Actually , many times I see secion hikers walk faster than thru hikers. Maybe they are fresher, have less wight to carry , have less time, dont know . so if speed defines the appreiation of beauty then sectionists should appreciate less. So it is not about the speed of thru-hiker which evade him from the beauty but the mentality of a thru.

Being said that after this thread I started to feel that this" thru-mentality " is not as cmmon as I thought. So it seems to be my personal problem.

Dont get me wrong. Thru-hiking is the most memorable way of hiking in my dictionary not because of all good things that happens to me while a thru but for bad and good and miserable situations one goes through we remeber it more.

After couple of months even the miserable situations turn to a sweet memory, you know why? because we survived them.

But to be honest, In my case not 2.5 to 3 mph but 2 to 3(just one mile per hour increse) makes a huge difference in my pace. In 3 mph I am more focused on where to put my feet and not enjoy the scene. In 2 mph I am whisteling and enjoying the surroundings. But as I said, It is just me.

Pace comes from stride, and stride comes from the length of your legs, when I take a step I cover 30% more ground then my girlfriend, but I'm nearly 6ft and she's 5 ft 5, don't assume people are 'rushing' who are walking 3+ miles per hour, perhaps they just have a longer stride and are more comfortable walking in the woods than you.

"We don't see the world as it is, we see the world are we are"

Colter
11-07-2011, 22:27
while it can certainly be a great experience to walk in fog, its hard to appreciate something you cant see, isnt it?

Come on Mags, just admit that he knows what you like more than you do!

14348 Here's a photo I took near the end of a thru-hike after days of rain. You can't appreciate fog if you can't see it though I suppose?

Some of my best memories have been hiking at night where I could hardly see a thing except the stars and moon and a faint trail beneath my feet. It's a different kind of beauty. I'm not going to insist that someone else enjoys it if they don't.

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart. Helen Keller

tdoczi
11-07-2011, 23:13
Come on Mags, just admit that he knows what you like more than you do!

14348 Here's a photo I took near the end of a thru-hike after days of rain. You can't appreciate fog if you can't see it though I suppose?

Some of my best memories have been hiking at night where I could hardly see a thing except the stars and moon and a faint trail beneath my feet. It's a different kind of beauty. I'm not going to insist that someone else enjoys it if they don't.

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart. Helen Keller

i love seeing the grand canyon at night during a full moon. if i was ever only going to see it once though that wouldnt be my choice. see the difference?

Colter
11-08-2011, 07:41
As Stranger quoted "We don't see the world as it is, we see the world are we are"