PDA

View Full Version : New here!

rowan
11-02-2011, 22:29
Hi folks, as a new member of the forum I figured it would only be courteous of me to introduce myself. I've been browsing the pages off and on for over a year, and am currently planning a NOBO through-hike for the upcoming 2012 season (AT). I've found a huge wealth of info on here in the past and continue to browse through gear lists, so thanks so much to those who have shared their experiences and reviews!

I'm an NC native and have done weekend type backpacking trips around the area. At 24, with a job contract over in Dec, and a bit of money I've saved over the years for this type of adventure, I couldn't be more excited to be going through this early stage planning. I have a lot of questions, but I am also looking forward to adding what I can to this awesome community. Much love,

Rowan

4eyedbuzzard
11-02-2011, 22:51
Well, if you've been lurking for a year, then you know that you have to read between the punchlines to get the serious stuff. So welcome! :welcome And good luck on your hike!

Kookork
11-02-2011, 22:58
Welcome to the whiteblaze. Compare to you I am a vet but in reality I have been around just couple of weeks so if you have been on and off here you know things better than me already.

It seems you are planning seriously so if I say something it is just my suggestion and please do not take it as a critisism.

You mentioned you have been mainly a weekend type backpacker before. AT is a test of endurance more than anything. If you can make one or two week long backpacking then you have a better grasp of what is going to happen to you while on AT. It is a huge jump from weekend backpacking to AT thru. If you can make some steps before starting AT it would be more pleasant.
Don't get me wrong , many weekend hikers have finished it but it is like jumping from high ground. You better get as close as possible to the ground before the last release and fall.

Anyway, Your post have a very nice vibe.Welcome again

I am sure there are hundreds of people here to help and share their story about the AT.

Blissful
11-03-2011, 10:58
Welcome to White Blaze!

rowan
11-03-2011, 12:31
Welcome to the whiteblaze. Compare to you I am a vet but in reality I have been around just couple of weeks so if you have been on and off here you know things better than me already.<br>
<br>
It seems you are planning seriously so if I say something it is just my suggestion and please do not take it as a critisism.<br>
<br>
You mentioned you have been mainly a weekend type backpacker before. AT is a test of endurance more than anything. If you can make one or two week long backpacking then you have a better grasp of what is going to happen to you while on AT. It is a huge jump from weekend backpacking to AT thru. If you can make some steps before starting AT it would be more pleasant.<br>
Don't get me wrong , many weekend hikers have finished it but it is like jumping from high ground. You better get as close as possible to the ground before the last release and fall.<br>
<br>
Anyway, Your post have a very nice vibe.Welcome again<br>
<br>
I am sure there are hundreds of people here to help and share their story about the AT.<br><br>Thanks for the welcome.&nbsp; I agree its going to be a huge step from some of my past experience to a complete through hike.&nbsp; The longest distance backpacking trip I have taken was a 6day hike on the AT through the mt rogers area when I was in 8th grade - its been a while!&nbsp; I have placed myself in the woods as much as possible since then, but attending college on the coast and working throughout it has limited my time availability.<br><br>I'm a fit young guy, so physical endurance won't be such a problem as mental.&nbsp; However, I'm taking this as a reprieve from our consumer everyday hustle, and can't wait to rely solely on my own self sustainability.&nbsp; It fits into the mold of my ever-growing life philosophy - I was an environmental studies major in college and have since worked with outdoor youth env. education.&nbsp; Being able to fend for myself and survive with only my wits and gear is something I've wanted to do since those early days of hiking with my brother and dad, and the desire has only increased as I've grown to realize just how misguided and unstable our civilization really is.<br><br>With all that said, I'm trying my best not to have a "Do or die" mentality.&nbsp; I have family in Banner Elk, right outside of Boone, NC.&nbsp; When it comes down to it, if I make my way from GA to NC and feel I have accomplish what I need to - so be it.&nbsp; It is an easy place to be picked up and hop off the trail.&nbsp; If I reach that point and feel inspired to continue moving forward - AWESOME!<br><br>So thanks again for the welcome!&nbsp; I'm having to retrofit nearly all of my gear to make this trek doable.&nbsp; While there is tons of info on the boards that has already been helpful as a basis, I have a few specific questions that folks may be able to lend me a hand with.<br><br>Why not start here I suppose?<br><br>I already know I will be having to replace my pack.&nbsp; I've been looking at the Golite pinnacle but really want to purchase the majority of my gear before I decide on a pack (and pack size)<br><br>I have a Mountain Hardware Drifter 2 tent that I LOVE, but I'm realizing that at around 4 lbs it will probably have to be replaced by some other lighter weight shelter.&nbsp; Really like the looks of the tarptent Contrail, but with all of the other gear I need to purchase its tough to throw down 200+ dollars when I already have a nice shelter, albeit heavy.<br><br>My current synthetic bag is simply too bulky to carry.&nbsp; I'll need a new bag, and have been looking at the cosmic down 20 simply because of the amazing price.&nbsp; I also looked at the marmot sawtooth 15, but of course thats pushing the price range up.<br><br>The verdict is still out on which stove to pick.&nbsp; Years ago I had a a whisperlight, but it was crushed by a tractor trailer when my brother borrowed camping gear and did a poor job of strapping it to his roof rack.&nbsp; I've been using your basic coleman single burner since, but obviously that won't do.&nbsp; I'm really impressed by the msr reactor system, however it is a bit pricey.&nbsp; I've been looking at the jetboil zip instead - especially since it comes with an adapter to cook in pans etc rather than just boil water.&nbsp; I know I'll probably only be boiling water on the trail, but it still seems to be a nice feature for other occasions.&nbsp; Then of course there is the pocket rocket, tried and true it seems - and for a cheaper price.<br>I was originally set on a vargo alcohol stove... but after considering the mess, boil time, and possible dangers, I think I've decided a canister stove may be the better option.<br><br>As you can already gather, I'm going to have to drop a good amount of loot simply on these base items.&nbsp; I am hoping I may be able to skimp on some of my layering clothes to save money for the larger items.&nbsp; When it comes to long underwear, I'm wondering if I would be okay using cheaper polypropelene such as these http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___94955 rather than spending double that on a capilene or smartwool product.&nbsp; That same logic would apply to my top and base layer shirt.&nbsp; I do think I will spend a little extra for a good rain shell, like the precip or mnt hardware stretch cohesion.<br><br>As far as layering itself.... what I have gathered is<br><br>synthetic t shirt under a...<br>lightweight long underwear top under a....<br>fleece under a...<br>rainshell when needed.<br><br>Hate to write a book but you guys sure seem to know your stuff.&nbsp; I've gotta run, obviously have more questions but this is sure a start.&nbsp; Happy trails!<br><br>rowan

rowan
11-03-2011, 13:03
Wow... not sure why it quoted all those tags. I have to run to work but will edit tonight for smoother reading. Apologies!

Blissful
11-03-2011, 14:36
Get your pack last after you have all your gear.

Many seem to like Campmor's down bag. I have had no experience with it, but you can't beat the price for a 20 degree down bag.

I did fine with the MSR pocket rocket or similar (Snowpeak has a lighter one)

Frogg toggs makes cheaper rainwear

Tarptent should be running a holiday special soon. At least they used to this time of year. same goes with ATC map set.

You can always check out your neighborhood thrift shops for bargains. And here on WB in the selling forum. Steep and Cheap runs deals online. Your choice for basewear is fine though. Campmor can have good deals. You will need an insulating jacket of some sort.

campingfever
11-03-2011, 16:31
In respopnse to 4eyedbuzzards post and his use of the word "lurking" to describe your activiteis on WB I hereby give thee thy trail name of "lurking."

MedicineWoman2012
11-03-2011, 18:29
Ha ha ! camping fever that surely fits! Lurking aka Rowan? I am also a native of the outerbanks of NC be prepared for possible allergies if you are beginnin your thru in April. I live in Hatteras all summer and return to ragweed and lots of pollen during the off season along the AT..its always entertaining to hikers nearby because I am sneezing thirty times in a row getting adapted the first week or so after returning from OBX of Nc. If you havent experienced that ...then ya havent stopped the smell the flowers beside the blazes! ha ha!

rowan
11-09-2011, 22:45
Thanks again for the responses and welcome! This is an amazing forum. Funny how much time an outdoor lover can spend in front a computer when this wealth of information is available. AngelsWings - I'm actually native to the Piedmont, ROWAN county believe it or not, but have been living coastal in Wilmington and here for the past 5 or so years. Definitely understand the allergy concerns, I get the exact same thing and go on sneaking rampages.

I've gotta apologize again, as I haven't found the "edit post" button anywhere and am feeling somewhat computer illiterate about it. Perhaps it could be pointed out for future use.

Blissful - thanks for the straightforward tips. I'm looking at finding a campmor 20 (they only seem to sell the 0 these days on the official site) or perhaps the Kelty cosmic 20. Both seem to be decent bags for the price. Ideally, I'd find a used bag of higher quality, so I'm keeping my eyes peeled.
Definitely going to go with the http://www.rei.com/product/660004/snow-peak-giga-power-stove-manual Snow peak stove, and despite the $60 pricetag, I don't know if I'll be able to resist the mini solo titanium cookset to go along with it. http://www.rei.com/product/668926/snow-peak-titanium-mini-solo-cookset Seems like too sweet of a combo to pass up.

Def appreciate the words on the cheaper base layer. I've found lots of options at my local TJ max. They sell the nike "pro combat" long and short sleeves, which I think might make a good lightweight hiking layer. I also ordered a terramar geo fleece that was on gearscan.com for 32 bucks today... hopefully it fits! I hera ya on the extra insulating layer - any suggestions or tips on a piece of affordable gear that will pack down small? Those down puffys look great but they seem to carry a steep price tag, too.

My most current brain buster is what shelter to with. I was initially really impressed by the tarptent contrail. It looks like a decent size and extremely well-engineered, but I fear the dreaded condensation. I've also looked at the lightheart solo, http://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=&products_id=15 and the six moon scout http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents/SkyscapeScout.html

I'm really tempted by that price tag of the scout. I am wondering, however, what disadvantages the polyester may have compared to the silnylon of the lightheart (other than a few extra ounces).

When it comes down to it, packability and comfort are my main concerns, as long as we're in that 2lb range. I'd love to hear other options, but $200 is my max price tag on a shelter, unfortunately.

Looking so forward to lightening the load - I hiked the 20mi neusiok trail on the coast here in NC this past weekend with my massive synthetic bag, coleman stove, etc... what a load! Humble thanks for the wisdom,

rowan

Wise Old Owl
11-09-2011, 22:53
welcome to the circus here in woods - pull up the camp chair - its a long winter here on the trail- got a match? got to light the campfire.

Storm
11-10-2011, 12:22
Rowan, I have a Campmor 20 degree bag in a long. $120 and I'll take care of the shipping. Used one night. I am a big guy and it was too cramped in the shoulders for my liking.

Jeffrey Scott Wise
11-10-2011, 13:36
Awesome Rowan!!! Hope to see you on the trail! Im an Atlanta native, so if you need a ride to springer, let me know! Ill getcha there and hike a few with ya!

J RoCo
11-12-2011, 09:04
Hi folks, as a new member of the forum I figured it would only be courteous of me to introduce myself. I've been browsing the pages off and on for over a year, and am currently planning a NOBO through-hike for the upcoming 2012 season (AT). I've found a huge wealth of info on here in the past and continue to browse through gear lists, so thanks so much to those who have shared their experiences and reviews!

I'm an NC native and have done weekend type backpacking trips around the area. At 24, with a job contract over in Dec, and a bit of money I've saved over the years for this type of adventure, I couldn't be more excited to be going through this early stage planning. I have a lot of questions, but I am also looking forward to adding what I can to this awesome community. Much love,

Rowan

Rowan, you from Rowan County? I was born and raised in Rowan County...Granite Quarry/Rockwell area. Live in Cary, NC now and backpack a lot in Raven Rock park, Eno River area, and headed to the Uwharries tomorrow for a 2 day solo trip on the Uwharrie Trail/Dutchman Creek trail loop. Welcome to the board sir, I am a new guy myself here.

rowan
11-13-2011, 13:57
Most definitely from Rowan, Salisbury High alum. Good to see some familiar roots around here!

max patch
11-13-2011, 14:50
Blissful - thanks for the straightforward tips. I'm looking at finding a campmor 20 (they only seem to sell the 0 these days on the official site) or perhaps the Kelty cosmic 20.

The campmor 20 degree down bag may be the most used bag on the trail. I contacted campmor a month or so ago and they confirmed they are no longer selling this bag. However, they said they hope to have the new version of this bag for sale next spring.