PDA

View Full Version : Shuttle in Erwin Roan Mtn. Area

chelko
11-03-2011, 14:40
I need a shuttle on November 17th for 7 guys. We would like to leave our vehicles at beauty Spot Gap and be shuttled to Carvers Gap.
Uncle Johnny's in Erwin will not go up FR230 to Beauty Spot Gap. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Kevin

MedicineWoman2012
11-03-2011, 14:42
If I am not mistaken...FR230 closes during winter weather?

MedicineWoman2012
11-03-2011, 14:53
AKA Red Fork Rd...I think 226 just north of 230 entrance and their is a hostel that will shuttle outta Elk Park to Carvers for $35 for entire group.. I cn get that number if you would like?

dmax
11-03-2011, 15:53
I'll try to drive up today or tomarrow and see if the gate is closed already. If its still open I'll try to find out when they lock it for the season. .. I hate that they closed the gate. It used to be my favorite drive after every snowfall. I might have to invest in some cross-country ski's. :-?

Tennessee Viking
11-03-2011, 16:02
Here is the road closures from 2010:
http://www.fs.fed.us/outernet/r8/cherokee/conditions/10_NZ%20Road%20Closures.pdf

10-K
11-03-2011, 16:04
I'll try to drive up today or tomarrow and see if the gate is closed already. If its still open I'll try to find out when they lock it for the season. .. I hate that they closed the gate. It used to be my favorite drive after every snowfall. I might have to invest in some cross-country ski's. :-?

I drove all the way from 395 to 107 a week or so ago. 2 weeks ago they were scraping the road and putting fresh gravel down.

10-K
11-03-2011, 16:07
I need a shuttle on November 17th for 7 guys. We would like to leave our vehicles at beauty Spot Gap and be shuttled to Carvers Gap.
Uncle Johnny's in Erwin will not go up FR230 to Beauty Spot Gap. Any ideas?

Kevin

I'd park somewhere else...... Most likely I'd park at Uncle Johnny's and get them to shuttle me to Carver's Gap. If you didn't want to hike all the way back to Erwin you could call UJ's when you got to Indian Grave Gap and they'd come pick you up. (I done exactly that before I moved to Erwin.).

chelko
11-03-2011, 16:12
What is the parking like at Indian Grave Gap?

10-K
11-03-2011, 16:22
What is the parking like at Indian Grave Gap?

There's a pullout with plenty of room for 6-7 cars. The only possible catch is that it can be 100% occupied by horse trailers because the Shinbone Trail ( a horse trail) is across the highway.

I can't recall any vandalism at IGG but it's isolated and I'm not sure I'd leave my vehicle there overnight.

BabySue
11-03-2011, 16:23
Room for several cars at Indian Grave Gap. I've never had a problem, but someone else may chime in about the safetey of parking there for a few days instead of just for a day hike.
Since you'd like to end at Beauty Spot Gap, if you don't mind extending your mileage you can go past Beauty Spot Gap (on the road) and then down Rattlesnake Ridge Trail (#26 on Trails Illustrated Map, starts at the back side of a large parking lot), and then to Rock Creek Campground where there's lots of parking. Someone else can say whether Rock Creek is open and/or parkable in mid-November. That would be a bit shorter and considerably easier (in terms of elevation gain) than continuing on to Iron Mt. Gap (where, incidentally, there is also room to park).

10-K
11-03-2011, 16:25
The Rattlesnake Ridge Trail is a great idea. They could park at Rock Creek Park - it'll be open then.

I hiked that trail last week too.. 4 miles downhill - easy hike.

dmax
11-03-2011, 16:37
Is there a good side trail from the top uf Unaka Mt down to the parking area at Unaka Mountain Overlook?

Tennessee Viking
11-03-2011, 16:47
Is there a good side trail from the top uf Unaka Mt down to the parking area at Unaka Mountain Overlook?Nope. There is just the maintainers access trail to the relos, and where trail meets the road at a switchback/turnout on the other side.

10-K
11-03-2011, 17:38
where trail meets the road at a switchback/turnout on the other side.

Are you talking about the gap where the piped spring is across the road from the AT?

BabySue
11-03-2011, 19:05
I don't think that's what TN Viking is talking about; mention of "switchback" suggests a place farther up (i.e., closer to the summit) where there's a 20-yard-ish trail joining the AT to the road. On the TI/NG map (and presumably another map) the AT follows the road a bit, then the road sharply departs, does a couple 90% turns and a switchback or two, & you can clearly see that the road then essentially touches but neither crosses nor follows the AT from that point on. From there it's an easy walk to the upper Rattlesnake Ridge Trail trailhead. But I suppoe I should let TN Viking speak for himself.

wornoutboots
11-03-2011, 19:37
When I hiked through here I noticed an overlook/grassy area near the top of Roan Mountain, is there parking up there? Or what about parking at Carvers Gap? I don't know what your time frame is but if you can add 1 day, you can hike from Erwin to Beauty Spot easily in 1 day then make your way onto Carvers Gap? or visa/versa

Tennessee Viking
11-03-2011, 19:37
If you start climbing the the Unaka summit, there is a small turn out that leads out to the road.

wornoutboots (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?15799-wornoutboots): That is Cloudland and the Rodo Garden parking areas. They are currently closed due to the season. Carvers Gap is a TN/NC state highway with a large parking area.