PDA

View Full Version : why i hike

hikerboy57
11-04-2011, 07:38
I go to a website called the daily word every day which posts an interpretation of a quote from scripture, which usually gives me some inspiration for the day. Im not very religious, and my spirituality leans towards taoism and zen, so Im not intending to convert anyone, but todays verse expresses alot of what I feel about the outdoors and what it means to me, so I just wanted to share this. I hope you finit as inspiring as I just did:
Friday, November 04, 2011
Nature
I am restored through my communion with nature.
Year-round, nature is the doorway to my restoration. Whether I am taking in the brisk winter air or the scent of spring, scouting out a summer picnic or hiking on a crisp fall afternoon, nature feeds my soul and restores my spirit.
I marvel at the sights, sounds and scents of each season, realizing that the same omniscient power that created such beauty also created me. I am no less amazing than the most spectacular sunset and no less magnificent than the rarest flower.
I look forward to moments alone in nature where I rediscover my oneness with God and the universe, gaining a new perspective, a quiet heart and a healthier outlook.

He makes me lie down in green pastures; ... he restores my soul. --Psalm 23:2, 3

Doc Mike
11-04-2011, 07:59
Thanks, that says more than you think on first read.

coach lou
11-04-2011, 08:19
How much more closer to our creator do we all feel watching a beautiful sunset or watching the stars pass by, or seeing any of natures wonders, than we do sitting in that man-made building. Recently New Haven ,Connecticut was named the 4th most dangerous city in the USA. How many of our non-hiking friends have asked us "what about those lions, tigers and bears[oh my!], don't you carry a gun?" I want to when I go to the city!, but fall asleep on the banks of Slough Creek-wonderful!

scope
11-04-2011, 08:53
Thanks for sharing the word and I echo your sentiments.

beakerman
11-04-2011, 16:06
I don't feel all warm and fuzzy god living in the wilds thingy...i lean more towards atheism myself. However, being one of the cooler atheists that don't fault those that believe, i find getting out and putting some miles on the old body certainly cleanses the mind and lifts the heart. They don't have to be big miles just getting out does the trick. Some people hike for spiritual reasons--they get something out of it that I don't and thats fine. For me its more of a vacation from life and adulthood; I grew up hiking, hunting and fishing so getting out in in the bush brings back many fond memories. Thanks for sharing.

rocketsocks
11-04-2011, 19:12
Wow, there's those goose bumps again.Very nice ,that was written for me too.It's great to be alive

hikerboy57
11-05-2011, 07:29
I don't feel all warm and fuzzy god living in the wilds thingy...i lean more towards atheism myself. However, being one of the cooler atheists that don't fault those that believe, i find getting out and putting some miles on the old body certainly cleanses the mind and lifts the heart. They don't have to be big miles just getting out does the trick. Some people hike for spiritual reasons--they get something out of it that I don't and thats fine. For me its more of a vacation from life and adulthood; I grew up hiking, hunting and fishing so getting out in in the bush brings back many fond memories. Thanks for sharing.You dont have to be a "believer" to experience those moments when all of a sudden , you just feel so connected . the universe remains a great mystery, and many people use the concept of"god" to bridge the gap, that our minds dont go haywire trying to reconcile things they find difficult to understand. Even the smartest, brightest minds still cannot explain 95% of the universe, with new theories regarding dark matter, dark energy, space, time, string theory, etc. we used to believe nothing could travel faster than light, and just last week, they were able to prove faster than light particles exist.
this connection we get from the outdoors is the same connection ascetics and mystics have strived for for thousands of years.
and it feels great.