PDA

View Full Version : Bivy recommendations

jcreamer
11-04-2011, 21:16
I have decided that I would like to try a bivy. I have read reviews and looked at different bivys til I'm dizzy. I would like a bivy with a bug net that is held off your face. Obviously, I would like it to be as light as possible but anything under 2 pounds I am willing to look at. I am unlikely to be sleeping in this for more than 2-5 nights at a time. I will most likely use my inflatable pad inside.
Any recommendations sure would be appreciated.
BTW, I have really enjoyed this site and forum. Thanks to all of you that contribute such helpful information.
JC

HiKen2011
11-04-2011, 21:25
2lbs? Get a tent or tarp

jcreamer
11-04-2011, 21:33
I've got a good tent (one man), I am just interested in trying a bivy.

Tinker
11-04-2011, 21:48
I have a RAB eVent bivy. I consider it survival gear for winter mountaineering dayhikes when an emergency makes an unplanned night out a necessity. Bivy sacks used without tarps are for winter use only, imo, because it's impossible to get into and out of them in rain/sleet/heavy snow without bringing some moisture (often a lot) in with you.
Here are a few worth considering if you want leading edge design and materials:

http://www.integraldesigns.com/product.cfm?id=2&CFID=2967444&CFTOKEN=35626818&mainproducttypeid=15

Amanita
11-04-2011, 23:59
I don't have a bivy, but I've been looking into them and this one http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=30 has gotten good reviews. It's more breathable (so less condensation) than most bivys, but I don't think I'd use it without a tarp overhead.

Tinker
11-05-2011, 00:06
It uses a DWR (Not fully waterproof) fabric on top. It's designed for use with a tarp.

Shutterbug
11-05-2011, 01:08
I have decided that I would like to try a bivy. I have read reviews and looked at different bivys til I'm dizzy. I would like a bivy with a bug net that is held off your face. Obviously, I would like it to be as light as possible but anything under 2 pounds I am willing to look at. I am unlikely to be sleeping in this for more than 2-5 nights at a time. I will most likely use my inflatable pad inside.
Any recommendations sure would be appreciated.
BTW, I have really enjoyed this site and forum. Thanks to all of you that contribute such helpful information.
JC

I have an REI minimalist. It is the lightest that I could find. When I bought it, I was concerned that there wasn't anything to hold the bug net off my face. I have found that isn't really a problem. I rarely sleep looking straight up. If I turn slightly to one side or another, the bug net isn't in my face.

When it rains, I just spread my poncho over the top. I have not yet used it in a wind driven rain. That could be a problem.

I agree with the comments of others -- if you get into the 2 lb range, you would be better off with a tent. I have a Black Diamond Firstlight that is less than 3 lb.

CdnHiker
11-05-2011, 18:22
If you will be using the bivy with some type of overhead shelter, I would definitely suggest going with a MLD superlight bivy. An excellent, light weight bivy with waterproof bottom and waterproof/breathable top. As a first time bivy user, you may want to consider the full headnet option and sizing up to a large: you have better ventilation, extra wiggle room and less chance of feeling claustrophobic.

July
11-05-2011, 19:23
Pic of my MLD cuben poncho with the superlight bivy in action...14327

stranger
11-11-2011, 10:33
As others have mentioned...a breathable/windproof and water resistant bivy used in conjunction with a lightweight tarp will be a whole lot more functionable than a straight up waterproof bivy with hoop poles to keep it off your face. Also, most of those waterproof type bivys are designed for very cold and winter conditions where 'rain' is not generally an issue (it doesn't rain in 20 degrees).

Plus this way you can use the bivy in a shelter, use the bivy out alone on a nice night, and use it under a tarp in rainy weather, etc...

The Cleaner
11-11-2011, 12:03
I have an Early Winters(no longer in business)Gore-Tex bivy.It's great and weighs about 1lb.This and a light weight tarp works great for some conditions.I would'nt consider any kind of bivy w/pole or hoop design,might as well get UL tent.The bivy is great for camping on balds or ohther places you couldn't or don't want to set up tarp or tent.Also it's good for camping in drafty shelters and should add 10 degrees to your sleeping bag rating.Anyway with a bivy there is no set-up time so you can hike all you want and camp at any place with a level sleeping spot....

burger
11-11-2011, 12:05
+1 on the MLD Superlight--it's a great bivy (though my zipper died after about 60 nights of use, but zippers never last long in my experience). The bivy comes with has a piece of cord attached to the netting. You can tie it to your tarp or an overhanging branch to keep the netting off your face. But if you sleep in a baseball cap, the brim of your cap will keep the netting off your face just fine.

skinewmexico
11-11-2011, 12:31
You might look at the TiGoat bivy, but it's essentially made for use with a tarp. Lightweight though, like the MLD. I just use my Tarptent Sublite for a bivy.

Duff
11-11-2011, 18:52
If weight is your primary concern, look at:

suluk46.com.

Extremely high quality, cutting edge gear. I have one of their bivy's at just over 2.5 oz. and absolutely love it. Pricey, but worth every penny!!

Wise Old Owl
11-11-2011, 19:55
I have a different take from all the other posts because I got burned with an early version of the REI minimalist - Not Sold anymore... I was good in Canada for the first two nights - bugless and under 70 degrees - then the humidity caught up on night three - it was several hours of being in a Boiler Bag, the smell of me overheating in 70 degrees make me think I was chicken in a roaster bag. I stripped off and got the sleeping bag under and got back in while being bitten to death with mosquitos....finally giving up 3 am and asked permission to join someone in a tent.. it was a disaster - due to my snoring.

Understand my story is based on my bad decisions do not sell the one man wonder until you are absolutely sure this is for you. I still love bivys - but it was returned Try this.... (http://www.rei.com/search?query=outdoor+research+bivy+sacks)

Keep in mind they do make sleeping bags with the bivy built in.... and they are very cool. A Poncho or Gatewood is needed and the bug supported net is best.

Do not use a head net in bed. - you will get eaten.

Wise Old Owl
11-11-2011, 19:57
Shutterbug - is that REI one vented down the body of the bag with flaps for rain?

texas&fla
11-11-2011, 20:26
you might want to look at the Marmot Alpinist Bivy. It weighs only 15 oz. I own one and really like it. I just used it for 6 nights in Capitol Reef. I actually keep my sleeping bag and Big Agnes insulated inflatable in the bag and just stuff all 3 into my stuff sack when hiking.

It is a barebones waterproof bivy sack.

If I think it is going to rain or if I think the mossies will be bad, I add a small mossie net and/or a small silnylon tarp. (and only add 9 oz total)

Shutterbug
11-13-2011, 19:03
Sorry for the slow reply. I have been away. The REI Minimalas Bivy has zippers down both sides that can be used for vents. The Zippers have flaps over them.

chris948
11-14-2011, 23:58
I have the Three Wire, and it's nice. I had the old Black Diamond version which was crap. To be honest though, the crazy light single wall tents are incredible and make me wonder what the advantages of mine are other than a bit more flexibility in setup/staking and I guess snow.

Nitrojoe
11-15-2011, 01:25
I recently bought a 7oz. bivy from OWARE. Its long and wide enough to place my air pad and sleeping bag inside. You also have plenty room to move around inside the bivy. Go on line and check it out.