PDA

View Full Version : Clean Shaved Or Long beard?

Kookork
11-04-2011, 22:35
I have seen some videos and photos of AT and other major trails thru-hikers recently. In many of them the hikers grow facial hairs (beard, Mustache) and some actually have very long ones.

Do you think there are some benefits to grow beard and mustache while hiking?

What is the downside of growing beard and mustache while we are thru-hiking?

Do you shave regularly while on trail?

Fellow female hikers: I absolutely have no intention to make this thread a male only thread but it is just the nature of our creation which makes this question of the thread a male dominant.

For Fellow female hikers I have this question:
Which one do you prefer to talk with while hiking, a clean shaved guy or a long beard one? Or doesn’t make any difference for you?

Tinker
11-04-2011, 22:37
A beard gives blackflies a place to hide while they suck you dry, otherwise, they may shade your face a bit from the sun. It's mostly a matter of what you like, or how you want to be perceived.

When I've been beardless, I've shaved several times on my section hikes, mostly because I was near the end of a section and wanted to look a little tamer when I was hitching a ride.

When I have a beard, which I grow from time to time, I try to not let it get into my brain that there are people who won't pick up a bearded guy with a backpack. I'm not sure how much of a difference this makes. To some AT groupies, having a beard might likely identify a hiker by the side of the road as a thruhiker, making it more likely that they will pick him up, so that they can say they shuttled a thruhiker (ooh, aah.......:rolleyes:), or maybe they're hoping to get some Trail news from the current thruhiking crowd. Who knows? :confused:

XCskiNYC
11-04-2011, 22:52
Shaving without running water ain't fun.

Slo-go'en
11-04-2011, 23:06
I've had a beard most of my adult life for the simple reason I don't like to spend time in the morning shaving. My guess is that is the reason most guys grow a beard, though some can claim religon as an excuse. Getting a hair cut and having the beard trimmed in town is just something we never think about doing. Much rather spend that 10 or 20 bucks on food and beer. And after a good meal and a few beers, who's gonna think about getting a hair cut?

The disadvantage is long hair is a pain in hot weather and it does get unkepmt.

Kookork
11-04-2011, 23:22
I loved your answer tinker. If I shave it is honestly just for the possible better hitchhiking or sometimes I just want to feel better. I have a picture somewhere with my 120 days uncut beard after a winter hike In Iran.It was not because I wantd to have it, it is a serious bonus in extreme weathers.

Kookork
11-04-2011, 23:26
I've had a beard most of my adult life for the simple reason I don't like to spend time in the morning shaving. My guess is that is the reason most guys grow a beard, though some can claim religon as an excuse. Getting a hair cut and having the beard trimmed in town is just something we never think about doing. Much rather spend that 10 or 20 bucks on food and beer. And after a good meal and a few beers, who's gonna think about getting a hair cut?

The disadvantage is long hair is a pain in hot weather and it does get unkepmt.

Another disadvantage of beard is when it is not long enogh and it is itchy for couple of days before it is long enough not to be itchy( I hate this part a lot) I am a sissy I guess.

Serial 07
11-05-2011, 08:42
long beard.....NEXT!

Tipi Walter
11-05-2011, 10:05
Both are good. As Koolork says, a full beard in winter is a serious bonus. Plus, there's something "natural" about being out on a long backpacking trip and letting the beard be proof of your time out. Plus, who wants to bother with shaving? Then again, it's easy and light to carry a small razor in the ditty sack and dry shave once every couple days, especially if you keep a goatee and shave around it. Go by feel and you don't need a mirror. A full beard vs a goatee? I like my goatee and will keep it. I may let it go into full beard this winter.

Odd Man Out
11-05-2011, 11:57
Another disadvantage of beard is when it is not long enogh and it is itchy for couple of days before it is long enough not to be itchy( I hate this part a lot) I am a sissy I guess.

Years ago the place I worked had a beard growing contest. After about a month, I still had no beard. It just looked liked I hadn't washed in a month. I was never able to grow a beard past that short itchy phase, so for some of us, shaving seems to be the only option. Next time I will have to choose better genetics.

Kookork
11-05-2011, 12:09
Years ago the place I worked had a beard growing contest. After about a month, I still had no beard. It just looked liked I hadn't washed in a month. I was never able to grow a beard past that short itchy phase, so for some of us, shaving seems to be the only option. Next time I will have to choose better genetics.

Not being a morning person you made me start my day with laughing. Thank you.

I want a better voice in my next genetic.

Catscradle
11-05-2011, 19:13
I despise shaving even under the best of circumstances. Now that I'm retired I'm lucky if I shave once a week. I certainly wouldn't shave out in the woods with no hot water. Years ago I had an "Amish type beard" mainly because I grow such a pathetic mustache, when my family and I were visiting PA Dutch country all kinds of tourist came up to me asking stupid questions. LOL.

Paisley1985
11-05-2011, 19:30
Hmm no ladies have realy wieghed in on this one, so I guess I'll start. To be totally honest - at first sight I will probably be friendlier / more likely to speak to a shaven man versus one with a really unkempt long beard. The obvious question to answer now is "Why?"... hmm.. to be honest all the men in my life have been clean shaven with maybe the odd goatee in there. I guess I just automatically class shaven with "nice guy" - however once I've spoken with a bearded guy - I've rarely met one who wasn't ALSO a nice guy. I've met a ton of clean shaven men however who I wouldn't be around for ten seconds.

Kookork
11-05-2011, 19:52
Hmm no ladies have realy wieghed in on this one, so I guess I'll start. To be totally honest - at first sight I will probably be friendlier / more likely to speak to a shaven man versus one with a really unkempt long beard. The obvious question to answer now is "Why?"... hmm.. to be honest all the men in my life have been clean shaven with maybe the odd goatee in there. I guess I just automatically class shaven with "nice guy" - however once I've spoken with a bearded guy - I've rarely met one who wasn't ALSO a nice guy. I've met a ton of clean shaven men however who I wouldn't be around for ten seconds.
Thanks for your honest reply, hopefully other ladies take time to answer. It wont change my decision though even if all women say they love long bearded guys and hate clean shaved ,why? I look like binladeen in long beard.

Blissful
11-05-2011, 21:02
I've talked to both and I'm married to the bearded wonder. So no big deal to me.

Nick&Bruce
11-05-2011, 21:27
I haven't shaved in 7 years. I can't imagine shaving before, during, or after hiking.

rocketsocks
11-05-2011, 22:27
Let it grow .cut it off,I shave when I can.

AndyBees
11-05-2011, 23:28
Although I've done a lot of weekend and one day hikes, being on the trail long enough to grow a beard will be a first for me next year, hopefully. I believe that every time I hit a motel, the first thing I'll do is shave and then a nice shower! Back in the 70's, I use to grow a full beard every winter. It was an awesome feeling in the spring to shave it off!

Wise Old Owl
11-06-2011, 01:05
Nobody shaves on the AT - it's pointless. ask Lone Wolf.....

Lone Wolf
11-06-2011, 01:15
long beard.....NEXT!what he says..next

strollingalong
11-06-2011, 01:38
do whatever you want...next

garlic08
11-06-2011, 09:57
When I was hiking the PCT with my wife, we noticed the frequency of successful hitches dropped off after I hadn't shaved for a couple of months. I shaved and things got better. So now I carry a disposable razor and shave when I get to a sink with soap. I get a haircut every couple of months, too. As I hiked into New England on the AT, most folks I met said I didn't look like the typical thru hiker. I took that as a compliment.

strollingalong
11-06-2011, 12:25
im pretty set on bearding and hairing it up. but I might get a goatee and a mohawk after a few months. I wont have an opportunity to look like such a tit off the AT.

Kookork
11-06-2011, 12:34
im pretty set on bearding and hairing it up. but I might get a goatee and a mohawk after a few months. I wont have an opportunity to look like such a tit off the AT.

Very good point. Many take long distance hikings as possibly the only chance to grow long(and sometimes wild) beard.

Or doing something like mohawk.They are not going to start their job after their thru with anything close to that beard.

Miami Joe
11-07-2011, 22:10
Surprised more people here have no concern for the weight penalty of hair. :rolleyes: Shave the head; shave the face. Of course, I come from a family of West Pointers.

Wise Old Owl
11-08-2011, 00:18
Murray Rose and Jon Henricks

Very Phyc (http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/outdoor-activities/triathlons/training/swimmers-shave-bodies.htm)

moytoy
11-08-2011, 07:15
Murray Rose and Jon Henricks

Very Phyc (http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/outdoor-activities/triathlons/training/swimmers-shave-bodies.htm)
I'm all in if it will increase my walking speed!

Theosus
11-08-2011, 08:18
I hate shaving when I'm camping. I hate face hair more... I can do it with a cup of hot water and a little soap, but it's not pretty. Better than a beard to me though. I don't use a mirror normally, so being without one in a campsite is no big deal.