PDA

View Full Version : Any problems with the Lightheartgear Solo tent?

Renee'
11-05-2011, 07:33
I have had a Big Agnes Seedhouse SL 1 for about 6 years. I am looking at getting a Lightheartgear Solo tent. Has anybody had any problems with the Lightheartgear Solo tent?

Maple_Sky
11-05-2011, 08:51
I took my lightheart solo on a 250-mile section hike this summer, and I loved it! It is very lightweight and compact, but once you set it up, there is plenty of space inside, and enough headroom to sit up. It is tricky to figure out the exact length you need to adjust your trekking poles to at first, but once you have it memorized, setup is very quick.

Red Beard
11-05-2011, 09:32
I have had a Big Agnes Seedhouse SL 1 for about 6 years. I am looking at getting a Lightheartgear Solo tent. Has anybody had any problems with the Lightheartgear Solo tent?

The thing I did not like about my Big Agnes tent was the poles / shock cord. I don't have that issue with the LHG Solo, because it uses your trekking poles for support. Also, a bonus with the LHG solo is you can get in it, as soon as you have it staked. This is especially beneficial when it is about to rain. I have staked this tent out, and gotten in it, just as the "bottom fell out," still setting it up from the inside.

Hands down, it is the best designed tent I have ever used. That's just one man's opinion though.

HeartFire
11-05-2011, 11:04
They are on sale right now too! The Solo - normally sells for $245.00 on sale for $199.00
Judy - AKA HeartFire of LightHeart Gear

10-K
11-05-2011, 11:48
I got the cuben solo and have spent a month or so nights in it in all kinds of weather - snow, driving rain, high winds, etc. No problems, no complaints.

I think you'll be happy with the switch - it's really in a different league than the SL1.

mieos
11-05-2011, 23:23
I recently got the Solong 6, and love it. On my last hike, a friend was using my old tent, while I used the Solong. The difference in set up times was amazing. The difference in the amount of room was just as amazing. I have not had a chance to try it in adverse conditions yet, but look forward to the results.

swjohnsey
11-05-2011, 23:47
Curious, what is it about the BA Seedhouse SL1 that you do not like?

Mr Breeze
11-06-2011, 06:49
I've got a solo and have never had any problems with it. I like the room inside. And the ease of setup.

Toli
11-06-2011, 08:33
They are on sale right now too! The Solo - normally sells for $245.00 on sale for $199.00
Judy - AKA HeartFire of LightHeart Gear

You are killin' me girl :D... I was "First" of ten ;)... I set my Solo up in a "wash"(my bad) in wicked rain on the Skeenoh Creek and stayed "bone dry"... +1 for sure... Thanks Judy...

Renee'
11-06-2011, 09:09
Curious, what is it about the BA Seedhouse SL1 that you do not like? My Big Agnes has been a great little tent, I love the weight. The seam seal is flaking off (I can get a new fly for $70 or re-seam seal it), the front section of pole is bending, there is a small hole in the floor, and I have never really liked the front entry. I also like the idea of using trekking poles, since I already carry them with me. I have also been looking at the Tarptent Stratospire 1. I wish they would come out with a price on the Stratospire 1, so that I could make a decision.

10-K
11-06-2011, 09:12
Curious, what is it about the BA Seedhouse SL1 that you do not like?

I don't not like the SL1 but (IMO) tents made by the smaller companies like Tarptent, SMD, Lightheart Gear, etc. are just better designed in terms of weight savings, setup and takedown and use of interior space.

But, there's not a thing wrong with the SL1 - I've probably seen a hundred of them setup and not heard a single complaint that I know of.

swjohnsey
11-06-2011, 10:14
I used a BA Seedhouse SL1 in 2011 and it worked well. I saw alot of Fly Creek SL1 and decided to check 'em out. I wanted to cut my pack weight some and the tent came into my sights.

Ended up with a BA Fly Creek SL1 off eBay for about $180. My SH SL1 weighed (actual) 2' 12", the FC SL1 weighs 2' 2" both with just pole bag and six stakes.

Things I like about FC SL1, relatively cheap, very weather proof, quick set up, durable, light.

Things I don't like, front entry, made in China.

Things like about the Lightheart Solo, light, uses hiking poles, very weather proof, made in USA.

Things I don't like, not free standing.

daddytwosticks
11-06-2011, 17:38
My Lightheart solo I purchased this summer was made in China, I think. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Love this tent. Only slept in it twice in good weather, but am sure I'm going to love it. Dropped a pound from my shelter weight. Used to use a Eureka Spitfire solo which is also a fine tent. :)

HeartFire
11-06-2011, 21:51
My Lightheart solo I purchased this summer was made in China, I think. :)

You are correct, the "standard" Solo & Duo were made in China. But I make all of the custom Solo's myself, and all of the SoLong 6's. As of now, I will not be outsourcing the SoLong 6 at all.
Judy/ LightHeart Gear

BrianLe
11-14-2011, 13:18
I think that EVERY tent has problems, or at least I've never seen or heard of a perfect tent. IMO it's about being conscious of the trade-offs to make an informed decision. I own and have used a Tarptent Contrail quite a bit, and also a Gatewood Cape (much less experience with that, but still a number of nights spent in it), and I've used a poncho tarp and a heavier silnylon tarp, sometimes combined with a light bivy. Of all of those solo options, the Lightheart Solo is very clearly my favorite; I just finished a CDT SOBO thru-hike using a lightheart solo, and unlike on the AT, I slept every trail night in the tent (for exactly 5 months, finishing three days ago), apart from cowboy camping just the last two nights. If NM sand would have held my stakes I would have been in the tent those days too (it's warmer in the tent). FWIW, I got the cuben upper with awning and two bug-net side doors, with silnylon floor version of this tent.

All that said, here's a complete list of every possible complaint I can think of with the Lightheart solo in particular (and read again that I like this tent better than any other option that I'm aware of, not just including tents that I own, but that I've ever *heard* of):
(1) If you're hiking in a lot of snow, a lightheart solo isn't too happy with snow baskets on your poles. I left them on at first but felt that the pressure of the wider snow baskets was putting too much stress on the fabric, so I took the snow baskets off every night and put them back on in the morning --- which was a PITA.
(2) Like some other tent designs, the lightheart solo can be a very effective bug trap. Bugs fly in under the outer fabric, fly up to buzz (or crawl) around on the mesh, and never seem to figure out that they can't escape by going upward. Really not much of a problem, it can just be noisy with them just outside the mesh some nights, and the tent gets a bit untidy looking with all those squashed bug bodies that accumulate.
(3) At times I had trouble getting a really taut pitch, something that's good in wind. Certainly the cuben fiber helped here as it doesn't stretch, but it seemed weird in that I would set my poles to a certain height one night and the tent would be perfectly taut, and the next night the same pole lengths wouldn't get it perfectly taut, and that with quite a bit of practice on my part. In general, however, it pitches quite taut and easily, not real complaint here, just observing that it doesn't seem to always come out perfect.
(4) After several months of continuous use, one of the zippers got a bit wonky. Not a big problem, as there are two zippers on the bug door flap, so I just remembered to use the other one.
(5) A very minor issue is that the provided cord is black. It's reflective, but easier for someone to trip over when it's not dark, and can be a little harder to see when you get knots in it. Obviously this is easy to fix (just not so easy for me on the trail, but I soon got used to it).
(6) Judy sewed in little buttons on short elastic loops to hold the "doors" open, but this spot didn't get seam sealed (or at least not well enough), so that in extended intense rain I got leakage at that point. Not a big problem, but something I hope to fix
(7) The carry bag for the tent was also cuben, but as I carry the tent in an external mesh side pouch and the CDT is an SOB of a trail, this got fairly shredded over time. Simple solution: wrap the carry bag in a cheap shopping bag from town. Nevertheless, I think the extra weight of a silnylon carry bag might be worth while here as cuben isn't too good against abrasion (which is why I got a silnylon floor, though the cost difference also factored in.

I'll also say that while I like the awning option, and in fact was one of those that encouraged (pushed?) Judy to add this, I found that I used it relatively little. I think I might use it more in more typical summer-time backpacking settings, however. Having two bug door flaps was wonderful, however, as it gave me different options to do such activities as cook, brush my teeth, pour out my pee bottle (is that TMI ?), etc. This is now by far my go-to tent for any solo hiking I do in future.

Odd Man Out
11-14-2011, 13:57
I'll also say that while I like the awning option, and in fact was one of those that encouraged (pushed?) Judy to add this, I found that I used it relatively little. I think I might use it more in more typical summer-time backpacking settings, however. Having two bug door flaps was wonderful, however, as it gave me different options to do such activities as cook, brush my teeth, pour out my pee bottle (is that TMI ?), etc. This is now by far my go-to tent for any solo hiking I do in future.

Thanks for the thorough review Brian. I too am considering this tent, and the current sale is attractive. I was trying to figure out the difference between the wedge and the awning. From the pics it seems they function pretty much the same way, it is just that the wedge is a bit smaller than the awning. Is that accurate? Do you think you would have found the wedge more useful than the awning? Do both need a pole to set up (assuming both trekking poles are used for the tent). Also you say that having two bug door flaps is handy. Is this the second door option listed on the awning version? I didn't see that option with the wedge. Is that standard, available, or optional with the wedge?

Persistent
11-14-2011, 16:21
OddManOut,
I don't want to speak for BrianLe, but I thought I would try to clarify a few things. BrianLe has the Cuben version (with the sil-nylon floor) of the Solo. The "Wedge" option is not available with the Cuben body and fly because the lightweight material cannot support the weight of the extra zipper. On the "standard sil-nylon" tents only the wedge is available as an option, you would have to get a "custom Solo" to get the awning style fly. The coverage of an awning and a wedge is approximately the same. You could use a stick to prop up the awning or wedge, tie it off to a tree, or use an awning pole. We offer either a carbon fiber awning pole weighing 1 ounce or an adjustable aluminum awning pole weighing 3.5 ounces.
You can get the second fly with a zipper and a second door on a "custom Solo" but this option is not available on the "standard Solo". The "standard Solo and Duo" are the only ones that come with the high hydrostatic head sil-nylon.

BrianLe,
Welcome back and congratulations on your CDT hike! Thanks for the positive and constructive comments.

Marc Penansky
LightHeart Gear

StealthHikerBoy
11-14-2011, 17:31
Thought I would comment as I have used both tents. The BA tent is nice, but I thought it was a bit of a coffin. I like to bring my pack in the tent with me, and it didn't provide enough room for that. I would say there really isn't a comparison to the LH Solo and the BA, as the LH wins hands down in my view. It is lighter, easier to pitch, roomier, and what I really like about it is you can set it up so that if it starts raining in the night you can put it in lock down mode in about 15 seconds. The only thing I don't really like about it is the little PVC thingy that you put the hiking poles in to pitch it. You have to be real careful to get your poles in it right, or you can slip and potentially put a hole in the tent. And if you lose that little piece, I don't really know if there would be a good plan B to get the tent up.

If I had to do it again I would definitely get a second door and zipper put in the fly. That gives you access to the second vestibule and also would give you better options for how much of the fly to leave on at night.

The LH is almost a perfect tent for me. It would be if it was maybe 6 inches wider, which would be awesome for the pack explosion that happens in my tent nightly. I wish they had come out with a "So Wide" rather than a "So Long."

BrianLe
11-14-2011, 22:21
Thanks, Persistent, I have no idea about the 'wedge', it wasn't to my knowledge an option when I ordered my tent. I'm impressed, however, that you and Judy are still innovating, and like very much the idea of the longer version; at 5'10" I think I'm towards the taller end of people for whom the standard solo works fine without much risk of the foot end of the sleeping bag pushing up against the combined bug net and fly towards the end --- in fact, this can be an occasional problem when pitched on sloping ground if you tend to slide a bit (the tent is pretty good about holding things in place, but still).

StealthHikerBoy said:
"You have to be real careful to get your poles in it right, or you can slip and potentially put a hole in the tent. And if you lose that little piece, I don't really know if there would be a good plan B to get the tent up."

True dat, and at one point this year one of my pole tips broke and the remaining blunt end did slip out a couple of times, so I had to take care until I got a replacement, but with care I was able to make it work. And ditto the risk with the little plastic ridge piece, but FWIW in five months of use mine has held up just fine. I'm not saying that therefore everyone's will, but rolled up inside the tent fabric everyday protects it quite well when carried, and so long as reasonable care is taken when setting up and taking down, the piece is mostly just under static pressure when the tent is set up, so I'm pretty comfortable about that aspect now.
Speaking of which, Judy had sewn in a couple of velcro loops to hold that piece in place in high wind, but my own experience was that after the first month or so I stopped bothering to connect those loops even on windy nights. It just didn't seem to be a problem there, at least for me. Maybe it's different with a silnylon tent, dunno.

Final note, I saw no need to have a zipper on both sides of the fly, just the inner mesh. That's what was useful for me with my personal camping "style" at any rate. Typically I would use the non-entrance side to cook on (the awning side, but generally I cooked just outside of the tent fly without deploying the awning). And I would use it to stick my pack just outside the tent in a black plastic garbage bag (with a neo-air, I don't need the pack as padding, and like a roomier interior). And occasionally it was nice to stick my head out on that side to look at an animal going by (had a coyote in my camp one night) or if people were walking nearby, that sort of thing. Certainly with the awning deployed, however, a person could use it as an alternate exit and just crawl under the awning, but in general I don't see the point; my shoes were always kept on the other (out)side.

HeartFire
11-14-2011, 22:31
BrianLe,

I've made a few changes to cuben tents since you got yours!:rolleyes:
The button loops for the tie backs are seam sealed now with Aqua Seal rather than silnet - it holds better.
Stuff sacks for cuben tents are now silnylon,
the upper portion of the side walls - where the baskets of the hiking poles hit - are reinforced with heavier cuben.
One reason why you may have had different pole lengths,- think 3 dimensional, if tip to tip is a different length (even one inch different) then the height of the tent will be different. so if you stretched the tips a bit more one night, the pole height would have to be a bit shorter. You wouldn't be able to push the ridge line up to the height it was before because it's stretched out too long. (I do hope that is clear as mud)

We are having new tie out cord made for us - the supplier (in Georgia) we were using quit making it, so we have gone to having custom tie out cord manufactured for us - Locally I should add, here in North Carolina. It will be blaze orange with a reflective tracer in it, Not sure how soon we will get it, in the mean time we have some nasty cord - it's all I could source or now, -

Zzippers - this is a big issue and I don't really know how to solve it. I've had 3 or 4 tents come back after a thru hike (AT, PCT, etc) with zipper problems. I am using YKK zippers, and YKK zipper pulls. I have noticed grooves in the zipper pulls that I replace (it's only the zipper pulls that are the problem, unless the zipper coil becomes obviously creased or broken). (and I have replaced them all at no charge). I don't know if it's dirt and grit that causes the groove in the pull that prevents it from closing the zipper, or if it's just wear and tear from so much use that causes the groove. I have replaced zipper pulls for other items that were not YKK zippers, those were just soft metal causing the pull to widen, but that is not the case with the YKK zipper pulls. So, if the zipper fails, the easiest thing is to take it to someone that can replace the zipper pull or send it back to me, and I will do it.

Judy aka HeartFire
LightHeart Gear
www.lightheartgear.com

stranger
11-15-2011, 04:03
The most significant design flaw I see on the Solo is the diamond floor, you lose alot of space in those narrow corners. Having it taper to just 12 inches or so would make a huge difference (and probably bring the cost up), plus would have a shorter overall footprint. I would also like to see linelocs on it and a better secured storm flap over the zipper. But overall, probably the best all around ultra-light design I've seen and I've looked long and hard at many. But for me, it's hard to justify over the Big Agnes Copper Spur 1 at just one pound difference, with a much smaller footprint, free standing, more internal space, more vestibule space, drip free entry, additional poly coating on fly, etc...But that's just me.

BrianLe
11-15-2011, 11:18
Thanks, Judy!
I'm not sure that reinforcing the cuben where the hiking poles 'hit' is sufficient to handle snow baskets, but it's also probably not a common problem for a tent that's not designed or sold as "four season". And maybe it is sufficient, dunno; it seems to me that it's not just an issue of strength of the fabric, but just having space for the extra pole basket width without inherently stressing fabric there. It's been months since I had to deal with this now, so already a bit fuzzy for me! :-)

Cord: It might well be that some folks would prefer the reflective black, but I do agree that orange would be a better default.

Zippers: definitely a hard problem. More durable zippers are heavier, and none of us want that. I opened and closed the tent using the same zipper pull multiple times most days of five months, which is a level of use that I doubt many people would put it through in many years (or ever). And the other zipper pull on that track, and the zipper track itself all still work fine. I just have to remember to not use the one pull now, or the zipper track doesn't close entirely. I can live with that.

So Aqua Seal is what I need to fix the little high-rain leak spot --- cool, I'll look that up. I'm sure you told me this before, but it's a whole lot easier to deal with this sort of thing from home rather than from on-trail!

Pole lengths: I got lazy, plus one of my poles became recalcitrant, so that each night I just adjusted one of the poles and so that they were asymetric. The plastic ridge pole indeed didn't sit exactly square, but I never sensed any big downside there, and saving any sort of effort on a daily basis seemed nice. Since I did it the same way each night, however, I don't know that it accounts for pitch variations. It's got to be a combination of how much or little I stretched the long ends before staking down, how much give there might have been in each stake in the ground, that sort of thing. I think.

You've got a great product, and I'll continue to recommend it. It will be interesting to see how your innovations compete with Ron Moak's SMD Skyscape series; my very initial look suggests that yours might be a bit roomier, and in particular the thing that would catch my eye would be how much stand-off room there is to keep the foot end of the sleeping bag from ever coming in to contact with where bug mesh and external fly come together at the ends (without having to push your head into bug mesh on the other end to compensate); your "taller folks" version seems like a great option to help people deal with that, at least.

In any event, since I already know and love yours, I'll stay in your fan base! :-)

HeartFire
11-15-2011, 11:29
BrianLe,
Yes - about the snow baskets - the tent is not designed for that space - just regular baskets.

there is another change I have just recently started doing (last 3 tents)- this is only on the custom tents I'm doing, the velcro for the ridge pole - the soft side is stitched along the ridge line and the rough side is glued to the ridge pole. This way, there is less movement of the ridge pole and it can be left 'stuck' in place. I think this will make it a little less fiddly (I hope).

Judy

Odd Man Out
11-15-2011, 14:04
I'm 6'0". Would I need a Long or Regular? I was a little confused. According to the specs on the web page, the SoLong is actually shorter and weighs less, but has the same floor area.

HeartFire
11-15-2011, 14:14
I'm 6'0". Would I need a Long or Regular? I was a little confused. According to the specs on the web page, the SoLong is actually shorter and weighs less, but has the same floor area.

At 6'0" you can fit into a regular Solo. The difference in the tents is the shape of the floor - diamond vs. hexagon. The SoLong 6 is a hybrid single/double wall tent, the solo is a fully double wall tent.

Judy/LightHeart Gear

10-K
11-15-2011, 14:34
Good to know about the reinforced section on the upper portions of the sidewalls. I dealt with it by putting a strip of duct tape up and over the top and above the pole support. Works great and I'm still on the original piece of duct tape.

I also had an issue with the pole support not fitting my Black Diamond hiking poles which was easily dealt with by heating the pole support enough to soften it and then sticking my hiking poles in and letting it cool - giving the support a custom fit for my poles.

Overall I'm very happy with my Gen 1 cuben solo.

Renee'
01-17-2012, 07:19
I ended up getting the Tarptent Stratospire 2. I set it up yesterday and it looks great. The ventilation looks great, something that was lacking in the BA. Lots of room for the same weight as the BA and very easy to set up. I can't wait to try it out camping.

Chubbs4U
01-17-2012, 07:40
I ended up getting the Tarptent Stratospire 2. I set it up yesterday and it looks great. The ventilation looks great, something that was lacking in the BA. Lots of room for the same weight as the BA and very easy to set up. I can't wait to try it out camping.

Was looking at this for my 2 person tent. Let us know what you think when you get to use it for a few days.

dink
01-17-2012, 22:05
so can you get poles with the lightheart solo tent if you don't use hiking poles or like me use hand carved wooden ones?

HeartFire
01-17-2012, 22:19
so can you get poles with the lightheart solo tent if you don't use hiking poles or like me use hand carved wooden ones?
Yes, we do sell tent poles - they are a tad bit on the heavy side - 8.5 oz for the pair, they were designed with the bike rider, kayaker etc in mind. We are trying to source some lighter-weight poles for the backpacker - the poles are listed under accessories.

Judy Gross aka HeartFire of LightHeart Gear
www.lightheartgear.com

dink
01-20-2012, 22:06
Yes, we do sell tent poles - they are a tad bit on the heavy side - 8.5 oz for the pair, they were designed with the bike rider, kayaker etc in mind. We are trying to source some lighter-weight poles for the backpacker - the poles are listed under accessories.

Judy Gross aka HeartFire of LightHeart Gear
www.lightheartgear.com (http://www.lightheartgear.com)

That would be OK for me...I don't hike that light anyway because I just wander as fast or slow as I want and stop whenever if the view is great! I also do a good deal of motorcycle and kayak camping and travel. It looks like the right size and comfort level I have been looking for, thank you!!