PDA

View Full Version : Scalped!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sierra Echo
11-05-2011, 20:04

It looks so....helpless!!

4eyedbuzzard
11-05-2011, 20:10
New roof going on Blood Mountain shelter? Been a few decades since I've been there. . .

Sierra Echo
11-05-2011, 20:12
Yeppers! And if I'm not mistaken there is going to be some interior improvements.

FatMan
11-05-2011, 20:25
Thanks for the Pic. I am heading up there tomorrow to check it out.

Sierra Echo
11-05-2011, 20:27
I hope you get to see the mule train! I was so disappointed that no one was up there. But proud of my knee cause it did so good!!!

FatMan
11-05-2011, 21:03
Glad to hear you knee is doing better.

burger
11-05-2011, 22:03
I hope they knock down a wall while they're at it. We were up there a few months ago, and that shelter is nasty and smelly. Fully-enclosed shelters don't get enough ventilation to take care of the mice, humidity, and hiker funk. But a nice 3-sided shelter would be great up there.

rsmout
11-06-2011, 15:32
Yeah, that old roof had to go. Certainly contributed to the creepiness.

bigmac_in
11-06-2011, 16:53
Waste of money to fix that pile of stinky rocks.

FatMan
11-06-2011, 17:05
I was up there today. Pretty much a mess with all the orange and yellow plastic fencing. Many of the nice overlooks are blocked, including the one my wife and I often use looking out to the North.

The pack animals are not using much of the AT. Only about 50 yards at the top south of the shelter. They are coming up from Slaughter Creek road and then using a part of the Slaughter Creek trail and making a huge mess of it. Already muddy with plenty of crap to step through. Then going up towards Slaughter Gap and coming up from the opposite side the mountain.

I think I'll wait for the renovation to be completed before I head up that way again.

Bati
11-06-2011, 17:35
Glad to see it's getting some help.&nbsp; The photo showing the inside really brings back memories.<br><br> When I stayed there, we were so concerned we were going to lose the door to the wind when we finally got it open (it took several minutes to break through the ice), that we ended up using the windows for rest of the day and night.&nbsp; The windows were smaller, narrower and bolted from the inside,&nbsp; so they could be opened and closed by just one person.&nbsp; <br><br>I'll never forget the place-&nbsp; the indoor fireplace was wonderful; someone had left a small pile of wood so we made a fire (one of the very few fires&nbsp; I ever contributed to on the AT) there to warm gloves, etc. while we fired up the stove for hot drinks to warm ourselves.&nbsp;&nbsp; Having the four stone walls made us feel much safer while the shutters on all the windows really helped to keep it warmer, though it was still frigid. <br><br>I can see where this place might not be ideal under ideal weather conditions, but if the weather's ideal, then don't stay there!<br><br> I've never needed a shelter as much as I needed the Blood Mountain shelter, and I'm very glad to see that it will still be there.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;

Lone Wolf
11-06-2011, 20:28
I hope they knock down a wall while they're at it. We were up there a few months ago, and that shelter is nasty and smelly. Fully-enclosed shelters don't get enough ventilation to take care of the mice, humidity, and hiker funk. But a nice 3-sided shelter would be great up there.

Waste of money to fix that pile of stinky rocks.eyesore and not needed. remove it

mgeiger
11-27-2011, 10:05
Glad it's getting some renovation. That place has provided shelter more than once for me over the years. When it comes down to it, that pile of rocks is nice to have.

Jeff
11-27-2011, 10:32
If I am northbound on Blood Mt, the lure of food and a shower at Neels Gap are too much incentive. No camping for me in that shelter.

Hoop
11-28-2011, 11:37
Anyone know how far along the work has come?

Mike2012
11-28-2011, 12:18
As a stoneworker and CCC buff I like it from the photos but I won't get to see it in person till next winter/spring so leave it up till then eh? As far as the whole wilderness ethic goes we humans are an integral part of nature so I say leave it up. If it is indeed 70 plus years old then how is tearing it down different from settlers of the 1900's tearing down native american settlements of the 1830's? 2.4 miles is not too far for the industrious to haul boards and nails up from Neels Gap.

Tenderheart
11-28-2011, 13:52
Glad it's getting some renovation. That place has provided shelter more than once for me over the years. When it comes down to it, that pile of rocks is nice to have.

I totally agree and the CCC boys are probably smiling as well.

ScottHarrison89
12-01-2011, 11:48
I was planning on staying there next week... looks like my plans will be changing.. Any news on how the works going?

fireneck
12-01-2011, 18:22
Waste of money to fix that pile of stinky rocks.

If my memory serves me well Earl Shaffer said there! It's part of AT history no matter how much it stinks, and a part of American history... the CCC built it. Let's preserve our history. It would be a different story if it was some rotten wooden cabin that was falling down -- a rebuild and commemorative plaque would be more fitting.

If I am northbound on Blood Mt, the lure of food and a shower at Neels Gap are too much incentive. No camping for me in that shelter.

Same here!

fireneck
12-04-2011, 18:40
Two of my friends hiked up to Blood Mountain on Friday. They posted a photo on facebook... I asked about the shelter and my buddy said, "Still smelled like lacquer when we walked by." No pictures of the shelter though.

Sierra Echo
12-04-2011, 19:45
I was up there yesterday. Its still closed off. The roof is finished though, I'm not certain what they are planning to do next.

Hooch
12-04-2011, 19:57
I was up there yesterday. Its still closed off. The roof is finished though, I'm not certain what they are planning to do next.Possibly open it. :rolleyes:

Sierra Echo
12-04-2011, 20:32
Possibly open it. :rolleyes:

Don't be a dork, ya dork!! :rolleyes:

Sailing_Faith
12-04-2011, 20:51
Don't be a dork, ya dork!! :rolleyes:

:)

I am glad they are fixing it. For those who do not care to stay in this (or any) shelter, just be thankful that they keep the rest of us from sleeping wherever you are. :)

wcgornto
12-04-2011, 20:59

Ditto for Southbound.

Ladyofthewoods
12-04-2011, 22:30
14552My friends and I hiked from Woody Gap to Neels this weekend. The shelter is all a mess with the remodeling with the orange tape around it, and lots of constructions stuff lying around. We skedaddled up the rocks and had a snack on the big rock face in the sun. A great day!

Toli
12-10-2011, 23:06
Was on Blood Mountain today and the shelter is a joke... The roof is incomplete, there is construction trash/debris EVERYWHERE... Totally ghetto... Must have been 20+ people up there "Day Hiking" from the Reece Parking lot... Why don't they "try" to clean up a little??? BTW, the fireplace has been filled in with rock and cement...

Sir-Packs-Alot
12-11-2011, 18:45
Roofing gone, roof timbers gone, sills gone ... they are replacing all the timber - and the mule train is amazing! They are asking that anyone hiking by grab a souvenir "shake shingle" and take it home to their trash to help them pack it out !

Toli
12-11-2011, 19:32
Roofing gone, roof timbers gone, sills gone ... they are replacing all the timber - and the mule train is amazing! They are asking that anyone hiking by grab a souvenir "shake shingle" and take it home to their trash to help them pack it out !

Seriously???

Mike2012
12-11-2011, 21:20
That's a good trick!